Author Topic: Bonnie has arrived!!  (Read 7376 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Bonnie has arrived!!
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »
Nice to see another Bonnie on Purrs, I am sure my Bonnie would agree that she is a beautiful little girl :hug:  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2016, 05:43:43 AM »
She's a little charmer.  :Luv:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 22:14:43 PM »
I bet those quiet moments are few and far between!  :Luv2:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
Well it's been a week since bonnie came charging into our home. In that week she has managed to charm both boys into thinking she's the best thing since catnip and she also has managed to get bebe to at least tolerate her (which isn't an easy thing to accomplish).

She isn't the quiet relaxed shy kitten we first met 3 weeks ago but she has integrated so well with our gang, it's brilliant.

The only downside is I think I'm a little allergic but have found as long as I don't put her near my face, I seem to be fine. I'm sure in time the reaction will fade and I can start kissing that little black nose again  :Luv2:

One other things is since she has arrived bruno will sit in the the middle of thr bedroom floor at 6am every morning chirping and talking and meowing until bonnie wakes up and plays chase at hyper speed all over the flat whilst using our bed as a launch pad for aerial displays!! But, they are so cute together so you just can't be mad!!

A quiet moment -

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 22:04:46 PM »
Although he doesn't live with us now, my son is very allergic to the cats. I bought him some of the stuff that you sniff up and it blocks the allergic receptors, he finds it very helpful. But I can't remember what it is called!

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 22:00:57 PM »
Awwww  :Luv2:

Yes,cats have different types of fur and some seem to be more allergenic than others.I do hope this is just hayfever   :(

Aww well I think it started when she arrived home... I'm hoping I'll just get use to it. I'll keep taking some antihistamines until it passes :(

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 21:56:38 PM »
Awwww  :Luv2:

Yes,cats have different types of fur and some seem to be more allergenic than others.I do hope this is just hayfever   :(

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2016, 21:33:24 PM »

Giving uncie barnaby a good ear clean :)

We are so amazed and happy how well bonnie has integrated herself into the gang :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2016, 20:30:35 PM »
This also may be a stupid question but do cats have different types/kinds of hair? I ask because I have never suffered from an allergic reaction to cats before, not any point with our other three but since bonnie has come home my eyes have been itching, I've been sneezing constantly and my throat feels itchy. Now it may be that hayfever has started earlier (not that I have ever suffered with it badly) or maybe she has a different type of coat, just wondered if anyone knew.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2016, 20:20:47 PM »
That's dominance behaviour. Jaffa used to do it to Mosi.

You can neuter cats once they are about 2kg (I think that's the weight). Many breeders and rescues neuter kittens before they rehome them.  It's not unheard of for females to come into season at 3 months although most will be later than that. If your vet won't do it before 6 months I would find a vet that will early neuter. A lot of vets remain old fashioned on this and continue to recommend 6 months but it's perfectly safe to neuter them younger. They actually recover quicker when they're small.

I adore those pics  ;D

She's is only 1kg at the moment at 9 weeks old. Our vet seemed okay with 4 months but we use two vets so we will check with our other vet what they recommend.

She's adorable. Such a sweet natured girl and the boys love her. Bebe seems to still not be too keen but she's just okay with her now so that's good.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2016, 20:03:56 PM »
That's dominance behaviour. Jaffa used to do it to Mosi.

You can neuter cats once they are about 2kg (I think that's the weight). Many breeders and rescues neuter kittens before they rehome them.  It's not unheard of for females to come into season at 3 months although most will be later than that. If your vet won't do it before 6 months I would find a vet that will early neuter. A lot of vets remain old fashioned on this and continue to recommend 6 months but it's perfectly safe to neuter them younger. They actually recover quicker when they're small.

I adore those pics  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
Highly unlikely, and will just be play at this stage.  Head wrestling and neck biting are quite common in our house, even before the Gurls arrival.  The boys used to do that too.  Thankfully my OH has learned his manners over the years and doesn't indulge  :rofl:

Our two Gurls were literally just 5 months when they came into season within days of each other.  Moray is neutered in any event, but they made up to him shamelessly.  He just looked embarrassed and took himself off out.  :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Sorry another post. Everything is going well still. She's a little pocket rocket of energy. We have noticed when bruno and bonnie are playing and wrestling bruno goes over the back of bonnie and bites her neck. Is this playing or him letting her he's dominant. (I know more about dogs body language than cats!). She can't be in season can she, she's too young at 9 weeks!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »
Keep giving Bebe lots of attention, even if she spurns you - she needs to know you still love her too.

Sounds like the boys are vying for Bonnie's attention.  Two Big Boy Kittens, by the sound of it.   :)

Really? You think Bruno is getting abuoyed at barnaby for trying to play with bonnie??

Possibly, but it's more than likely it's just good natured jockeying for position "my playmate"  "No -'s'my playmate!").   :handbags:

Spaying depends on your vet.  Our vet didn't want to spay our gurls until they were 6 months old, but they both came into season at 5 months and had to be done early.  Have a chat with your vet.  :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
Also spaying...when is the right time? We don't want her to come into season so is about 3/4 months old the right time?

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »
Keep giving Bebe lots of attention, even if she spurns you - she needs to know you still love her too.

Sounds like the boys are vying for Bonnie's attention.  Two Big Boy Kittens, by the sound of it.   :)

Really? You think bruno is getting abuoyed at barnaby for trying to play with bonnie??

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »

Uncle Bruno's been grooming Bonnie?!!   :wow: :wow:  How wonderful.  That's a really good sign.  She has a friend in him, for sure.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Love those two photies.   :Luv:

Yeah :) and barnaby has given her a lick on the paw as well. Although bruno has growled at barnaby twice this morning which is very unusual. But on the kitten front, they both think she's super. Bebe however still finds her annoying and worthy of hisses and growls!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:23:50 AM by NikNakNoo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
Uncle Bruno's been grooming Bonnie?!!   :wow: :wow:  How wonderful.  That's a really good sign.  She has a friend in him, for sure.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Love those two photies.   :Luv:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »

Just hanging out - after a morning of chasing and chatting to each other and also being licked and cleaned by uncie bruno. It's hard work! :)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
She's adorable and it sounds as though introductions are going incredibly well.  Cats rarely hurt kittens - they are remarkably tolerant of little ones - so I wouldn't worry too much about Bebe hurting Bonnie.  Just keep an eye on things.  Hissing is just her telling Bonnie to mind her p's and q's.  I find they go through periods of being affectionate and less so.  Sometimes kittens are so busy and lively they don't have time for cuddles but she may turn into a very cuddly cat as she grows up.  There's no way of knowing for sure.  I have a one year old who has gone from very cuddly kitten to stroppy teenager who doesn't want cuddles (except for now and again when he forgets he's meant to be a stroppy teenager who doesn't want cuddles) but I'm certain he'll settle down once he's passed through adolescence  :shify:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

And considering you were worried Barnaby was one who may not like her, there is he is not a million miles away from her on the bed.   :evillaugh:

Bruno was just trying to "work her out - see what her potential was."  And now he knows - she's a playmate - how exciting!!  :wow: :wow:  So Bruno's world just got richer.  And Bruno will now be an ally and a bridge between Bonnie and the others, should one be necessary.

When he talks to her, he will be encouraging her to play, and that's bringing out the playful side in Bruno.  This is what I adore so much about cat interactions.  It's better than television.

When the Gurlcats go out onto the field - something they've only recently found out about - Moray likes nothing better than to sneak up on them and roll them over in the grass, but it's all very good-natured, and part of a hunting game.  the Gurls then do the same to Moray, who always nips away chortling to himself because he's bigger, faster, and knows all the nifty escape routes. 

Bruno and Bonnie sound like they'll be up to similar fun and games, and that's just lovely. 

Barley can often be heard in our house, charging up the stairs at full pelt making what can only be described as a warrior cry as she goes - "Watch out - Barleygurly's on the warpath!!"   :evillaugh:

Am so glad you're having so much fun watching all of the intros and bedding in that's taking place.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »

(Please excuse the unmade bed)

Well she and barnaby are certainly happy together :) not bad considering its been 3 days since bonnie arrived!

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

Bruno is sussing her out, and communicating with her.  Our Gurls communicate with each other in a series of trills, prrps and chirrups.  It's a good sign.

Bebe is just warning Bonnie not to take liberties.  She is still working out just what kind of a threat to the status quo Bonnie represents.  That's why you need to make sure no-one feels left out of the love.   If Bebe doesn't hiss when Bonnie is around, reward her with a little treat, so she associates good things with Bonnie.

It's very unlikely Bonnie will come to harm with any of the cats.  They will bop her, certainly, if she goes to far, but that's how kittens learn what is polite and what isn't in cat society.  Had Bonnie remained with her Mother to adulthood, her Mother would discipline her in the weeks to come by warning Bonnie off if her play became too rough.

Aww okay. That's good to know. We worry that bebe will get super annoyed with bonnie and harm her but she does just seem to hiss and do one or two quick paw strikes and then moves on.

It's funny listening to bruno and bonnie. They have proper conversations but I've not seen barnaby play so much since he was a kitten. He's really enjoying the excitement bonnie brings. I knew he was a good boy haha you can see him starting to play and then he stops and goes to look for bonnie and continues. It's like he's trying to get her to play with him.

I think she is currently tired after nearly 4 hours of non stop playing and running. Phew!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:38:16 AM by NikNakNoo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
Bruno is sussing her out, and communicating with her.  Our Gurls communicate with each other in a series of trills, prrps and chirrups.  It's a good sign.

Bebe is just warning Bonnie not to take liberties.  She is still working out just what kind of a threat to the status quo Bonnie represents.  That's why you need to make sure no-one feels left out of the love.   If Bebe doesn't hiss when Bonnie is around, reward her with a little treat, so she associates good things with Bonnie.

It's very unlikely Bonnie will come to harm with any of the cats.  They will bop her, certainly, if she goes to far, but that's how kittens learn what is polite and what isn't in cat society.  Had Bonnie remained with her Mother to adulthood, her Mother would discipline her in the weeks to come by warning Bonnie off if her play became too rough.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
Well the boys think she's the best toy ever! They chase each other around and pounce. Just worry they will hurt her but she is full on. She has this morning learnt the joys of curtain climbing. Joy haha

Bebe however hates her and now hates the boys as well. She is hissing at them all. Not very happy. Although when bonnie is quiet (doesn't happen very often) bebe will sniff her. So she's interested.

Bruno chirps constantly at her, any ideas why?? She's like a ball of energy with sharp nails haha certainly a marked difference from the shy quiet kitten we met a few weeks who. Even on Sunday when we picked her up she was trying to hide but as soon as she got home with us, there's no stopping her.

We've noticed she does lick us so maybe that's her affection. She occasionally purrs but this seems to surprise her and runs off. Can she be scared by her own purr??

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
sue is right, you can't make them cuddly - our Bengal who is now 10 has probably sat on my lap twice in all those years, she loves sitting near me on the arm of a chair or something but doesn't want to be touched or fussed at all and we have to respect it otherwise she will walk away

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:14 AM »
She may have been scared.  On the other hand she may just have the kind of personality that doesn't like being confined.  Cats don't measure affection in the same ways we do, and they have many different, subtle ways of showing their love for us.  We sometimes feel that doesn't measure up to our expectations.  Often, for cats, just "hanging out" in the same room as us, is their way of showing they love us.

You could try to keep picking her up briefly, and putting her down again after a couple of seconds, to show her that you won't impede her desire to have fun and explore.  You can also make sure you're available when you see her begin to look tired, picking her up then, and popping her on your lap for a cuddle, but letting her go if she wriggles or wants to move away.

But, you may also have to accept that she may not like or enjoy being handled too much, and settle for interacting with her through play instead.   :hug:

Bonnie sounds like she's displaying traits of being an Alpha personality (not to be confused with Alpha status in dogs or wolves - it's an entirely different thing in a cat).  She wants to be out and about "doing" and exploring, and making her presence felt in the world. 

This is why many of us were commenting that  it's difficult to tell with kittens exactly what their "finished" personality will be.  Personally, I'd just continue to have fun with her and enjoy your little bundle of energy.  I'd be celebrating the fact you're doing so well with her integration, rather than fretting about what she may or may not become.

We've had five kittens since 2012, and each one of them shaped up to be entirely different characters and individuals.  As long as they're happy, that's the main thing.  (Just like having kids I guess?  Childless of Northumberland)   :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:35 AM »
So first night out and she was fine. Didn't disturb us at all. But she certainly is different from when bruno and barnaby were kittens. She hardly sleeps and just constantly runs around. Our previous experience is that they play and then sleep a lot and usually snuffling us but she has no interest in snuggling with us. She doesn't like being picked up and she's isn't keen on being stroked. She doesn't seem to come to us for reassurance or anything like that. Does that mean as she gets older she isn't going to be affectionate because as a kitten she really isn't. Any ideas on how to show her that being cuddly with us is good?? She has come from a home where it was a very busy home. A child in the house was autistic and was very rough with her so we think maybe she has been scared.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:40:16 AM by NikNakNoo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 18:01:59 PM »
NEVER apologise for the photos - we lurve photos!!  :wow: :Luv:   :need pics:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 17:19:41 PM »
Sorry for all the photos but they get big so quickly haha

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 15:45:35 PM »
Yeah I think the boys have accepted her. Still unsure but more interested than anything else. Bebe though isn't happy. She's staying at the top of her cat tree and any time bonnie goes near she growls and hisses.

It is still very early days  :hug:

This is true. Our gang are so amazing. It's been 48 hours and bonnie is settled and thr boys are fine . Think we can allow bebe some extra time :) such good cats
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 15:47:37 PM by NikNakNoo »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 15:28:22 PM »
Yeah I think the boys have accepted her. Still unsure but more interested than anything else. Bebe though isn't happy. She's staying at the top of her cat tree and any time bonnie goes near she growls and hisses.

It is still very early days  :hug:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 15:14:04 PM »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 15:10:39 PM »
It sounds as if things are going very well!  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 13:04:50 PM »
That sounds absolutely spot on!   Love the piccie.   :evillaugh: :)  As long as they can get away from her on something high or inaccessible, then I'd leave the door open during the day, seeing how well they're doing.  That photo says it all.  :Luv:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
That could just be a change of diet, or slight dehydration.  The good thing about litter trays is it's easy to keep an eye on any poop changes, but it doesn't sound like it's something I'd be too worried about as it's not accompanied by any other signs that there's anything amiss.

I'm sure Bonnie doesn't want to stay in the room alone when she knows the potential that exists as her playground just outside.   :evillaugh: But, you have to think about the peace and quiet of the other cats for the time being.  Do you have other spaces only they can access?

Well currently she has no idea about cat trees so the boys have those to hide away on which is what bebe is going, she's just watching. But the boys are just following her round and chirping at her haha don't know what that means but even barnaby has stopped hissing. I mean they poke her now and again bit no claws, just a 'what are you' poke. They are doing well and bonnie is loving uncie bruno (they look very similar)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

Charm the boys - ✔

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
That could just be a change of diet, or slight dehydration.  The good thing about litter trays is it's easy to keep an eye on any poop changes, but it doesn't sound like it's something I'd be too worried about as it's not accompanied by any other signs that there's anything amiss.

I'm sure Bonnie doesn't want to stay in the room alone when she knows the potential that exists as her playground just outside.   :evillaugh: But, you have to think about the peace and quiet of the other cats for the time being.  Do you have other spaces only they can access?

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
Also this may be a stupid question but is it normal for her to have nearly black poop? It's very solid and doesn't smell at all but it is very dark

Link to CatChat