Author Topic: Nervous new rescue cat.  (Read 3555 times)

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
Re: Nervous new rescue cat.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 23:34:23 PM »
Thanks.

Just a little update:

Charlie is still quite fearful of OH but if im in his room with OH there he no longer needs to hide especially if OH has food on offer!He will run away and hide if OH approaches him but if im there can be persuaded to come out again.Huge progress :)He will also sit on my lap in any room upstairs (within dashing distance of his room/hiding place)

Im very proud of how hes come on in the last few days :wow:Hes so incredibly affectionate and craves love which he will get a lot of now he lives here.
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 18:19:20 PM »
great  ;D ;D

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 21:00:47 PM »
Thankyou again everyone.

We have discovered Charlie LOVES Wainwrights wet cat food.OH is now exclusively feeding him and gives him a small amount afew times a day.Its not a great way to feed a cat,we know, but we are trying to reinforce the idea that OH brings nice food and he will gently stroke the top of Charlies  head while he eats which he seems to except.

Charlie is an ex stray-about 5 years old the rescue vet reckons and Alfie is nearly two.Both neutered of course.Its incredible that they are friends but they really do get on well.Exactly what Charlie needs-a confident feline friend to help him settle. :)
Miss you all so much. xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 13:50:35 PM »
Great advice emmy_lou.

I found that sitting quietly with the girls whilst ostensibly ignoring them, and doing other stuff (catch up telly) was worth its weight in gold.   The playtime too is invaluable. 

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 13:47:15 PM »
Blokes can be terrible around cats!  :evillaugh:

They have such big feet, and clunk around the place!!! My OH is terrible, he makes such a racket and often comes in in workboots or steel toed shoes.

But yes, definitely treats, and just sitting in the same room as him. Cats hate change, and obviously they have been in one situation before being fostered (for however long) and now coming to you it will take a while to settle.

Slugsta just had me thinking, maybe get him to dish the food out too. How old are they??? If they respond, toys are fab too! Good luck, keep us informed!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 18:10:19 PM »
My Alfie has been with us for more than 3 years, we don't know what kind of things he experienced in his first year. He's very cautious around men and certainly isn't as relaxed around OH as he is with me - even though OH feeds him most of the time (all of the time at the moment). I'm sure your lad will settle with both of you given a bit of time  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 17:06:51 PM »
Neither of my two particularly like men,especially when they move around.  Definitely would suggest treats and sitting quietly with them.

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 17:00:12 PM »
Thankyou everyone for your helpful replies. :thanks:

We realise its very early days but were so worried about OH frightening him on top of everything else.

We will give him loads of time to find his feet.He loves to climb on my lap and will fall asleep there and usually comes out of his hiding place when I call him so hes doing very well.Hes just so scared now of OH which is such a shame as they were becoming good friends but im sure he will be fine. :)
Miss you all so much. xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »
Food.  Have your OH offer treats to Charlie, and get him to spend time in Charlie's room, just reading, or watching catch up tv on a laptop.  He can put some treats down, just out of reach of Charlie's immediate hiding place, so he has to venture out for them a little way.  He can increase the distance closer to himself as Charlie gets a bit braver.  No sudden movements.

Also sa Heather mentioned, leaving something which has his scent on, together with something of yours, (you're "good" and if you like Charlie's Daddy he must be good too - if a little clumsy  :naughty:)

We adopted two semi feral kittens back in November, and whilst they're happy to spend time with us now, having hidden away for weeks, they still don't like our feet, and get very skittish when we move around them - especially me as I tend to be faster moving than my OH.  :innocent:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 23:10:12 PM »
It is very early days yet if you have only had them a week? They are bound to be nervous and unsettled for a while, I would leave it for at least 4 weeks to give them both time. Could you put on item of OH's clothing where Charlie sleeps to get used to his smell? Maybe try a packet of Dreamie's, get OH to stroke him and give him a few, so he associates OH with something nice? I am sure in time he will be fine :Luv:

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 19:06:11 PM »
Should have mentioned that we have Feliway plugins upstairs and down. :)
Miss you all so much. xx

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
Nervous new rescue cat.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 17:27:37 PM »
Hello all.
I took on two rescue cats a week ago.They are two neutered males who met and made friends at a foster home so when I enquired about one,the lady asked if I could take them both.I was very happy to do this as I have recently lost both my elderly cats and have always had two.Im glad I did.They are both so lovely :Luv:

Anyway Alfie, (three legged youngster whos original owner asked a vet to put him down :()is so friendly and confident. He has settled brilliantly and its like hes always been here.His friend Charlie(ex stray,about 5 ish)is very friendly but very scared.

I set up the spare bedroom for them before they arrived with their litter trays,food and water,toys and cosy places to sleep and hide.Alfie spends little time in their now but Charlie hides in there the majority of the time.He will come out happily if I approach him quietly and loves to be stroked and will purr.He will also come out of the spare room and sit on my lap if I sit in a chair in the next room.Hes fairly relaxed despite all the hiding and will roll around purring when I talk to him and sleeps soundly in his hiding places.

He was doing so well for a couple of days and really bonding with my OH until he got under OHs feet tripping him up.He must have thought OH was trying to rugby tackle him or something because since then hes become more "hidey"and is now terrified of my OH. :'(Its such a shame as he was doing so well.

I know its very early days but Im worried about his fear of OH and of course every time he runs and hides from OH it reinforces his feeling of sanctuary in his hiding place and so the cycle perpetuates.Im glad he has a place he feels safe but I wish we could break the cycle somehow as its getting worse.

OH loves him to bits but knows to back off for now and just strokes him while hes in his hiding place sometimes,talking quietly to him.He accepts this as he feels safe.

There is no rush of course for him to settle again.I just don't want things to continue to get worse.

If anyone has any tips to help this sensitive but very sweet boy id be very grateful.

Thanks.
Miss you all so much. xx

Link to CatChat