Author Topic: DA AUCTION 2015 Chat and ask questions here  (Read 17120 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Re: DA AUCTION 2015 Chat and ask questions here
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2015, 13:25:42 PM »
Ah well, looks like we're not getting the split now.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 23:49:28 PM »

Money from the auction will be to care for the cats and is nothing to do with his fundraising.

Fair enough.  So any amount should be acceptable then.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 21:48:06 PM »
If you know of a cheaper way of getting a new place for the rescue please help him!

Money from the auction will be to care for the cats and is nothing to do with his fundraising.

I dont know about any postponement last year and no rescue is guarenteed to get the money any year and there will be no postponement this year either. One rescue is chosen and thats it, usually, and I have been working on this before Purrs started, way back about 10/11 yrs ago when Tan and I were on Cat Chat and where we did the first ever auction.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 21:25:08 PM »
Hard for me to judge but feel Rons need is greater and he posts!

So for me its still Ron all the way and would not be happy with a split cos its not enough money to do that.

Its a very hard decision and everyone is not going to be happy which ever way it goes and agree with you about the voting.

This thread was just to be the normal chat about the auction thread when I started it  :'( :'( :'(

I know, but from the start it looked like another postponement.  I don't understand why you wouldn't be happy with a split?  At least it would be a compromise, but still not fair.  I feel unhappy about the postponement which did happen, but surely 2 postponements makes it even worse!  You say the money isn't enough, which sounds very wrong to me.  I like to think every little donation helps, and hope it does. 
Ron's cats has some fundraising in place, but I see they want to raise 100k.  It's a very big goal.  I think perhaps too big...Surely there's a cheaper way of carrying on the good work?  There must be.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 21:13:50 PM »

The auction has always been for one rescue at a time (so the money can really help with a larger a amount ) we have selected the independent rescue per rotation each year. Two years ago we added two new independent rescues to the funding list to help more needy cats - feral stray foundation and Yorkshire cat rescue on top of our previous supported rescues.
We gave one of the new rescues the auction that year and it wasn't fair on are previous supported rescues to give another new rescue the funds the year after as well.  So we had the next previous rescue in rotation last year.

Tan, at the time you did say Yorkshire cat rescue would get the auction proceeds the following year ( 2014 ).  I remember it well.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 20:44:38 PM »
Lol yup fawt so hun no worries  :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 20:36:37 PM »

I didn't know that Tan.  :-[

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 20:27:38 PM »
Hi Andrew :) ron has been with us since 2006 and Yorkshire a new one year before last.

I fink all the cats n both rescues are equally needy so hard for me to say one over the other.
I won't forget it's for the needy cats at the end of the day in either rescue. What I worry about is all this if people are upset with the outcome, they won't support the auction and therefore the needy cats at the end of it so all the hard work put in for the auction won't be for much. :(
It's much better to try and find a happy ground now and have good support for the auction to help as much as poss the little ones that ain't so loved and cared for as our own furkids are.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 20:13:02 PM »
Hard for me to judge but feel Rons need is greater and he posts!

So for me its still Ron all the way and would not be happy with a split cos its not enough money to do that.

Its a very hard decision and everyone is not going to be happy which ever way it goes and agree with you about the voting.

This thread was just to be the normal chat about the auction thread when I started it  :'( :'( :'(

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 20:11:13 PM »

I know Ron is having serious problems but I had a look through previous auctions and since 2006 Ron has had the proceeds from 2 auctions. Yorkshire cats hasn't had any in that time.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 20:07:00 PM »
Sadly it's difficult descion and I can see already upsetting some. :( Is there a solution that everyone will be happy with??
 I hate upsetting anyone but this thread has been the reason we have never before put the rescue that gets the auction money up for vote cause this is what happens when we all don't agree and wish for different things. People get upset. 

The auction has always been for one rescue at a time (so the money can really help with a larger a amount ) we have selected the independent rescue per rotation each year. Two years ago we added two new independent rescues to the funding list to help more needy cats - feral stray foundation and Yorkshire cat rescue on top of our previous supported rescues.
We gave one of the new rescues the auction that year and it wasn't fair on are previous supported rescues to give another new rescue the funds the year after as well.  So we had the next previous rescue in rotation last year.

It is sad we can't support all the rescues every year with 8 or so auctions ( I would love to be able to) but that many will not raise much money. There will not be many items put up for each auction and no sponsor would give 8 times a year. 

We do give all the rescues funds from the draw so money is going to one In turn every month.

My question is is there a way to please all ?  :) Maybe the split is the way this year but how many feel that would mean Ron or Yorkshire would be missing out on larger funds!! Lol if so we still can't please all!!

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 19:18:46 PM »

The cats are the priority but surely if it was split and say we made £1000, then £500 each is better than nothing, isn't it?

Anyway I am looking forward to the auction in whatever guise it comes.  ;D ;D

I quite agree!  Of course £500 is FAR better than nothing!

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 19:11:43 PM »
Maybe if we get in touch with yorkshire cat rescue to ask for updates so they can benefit next year? Given the immediate need for help for Ron, I voted that way, but there is no reason why next year's can't be set now?

That's my main problem with this tbh!  Yorkshire cat rescue was postponed from last year, and now they may not even get it this year.  This poll is not fair at all.  If it is, why didn't we get a poll last year?  And why were they overlooked?  This could well be why they haven't updated on here recently.  Sorry, but just doesn't seem fair to keep postponing like this.  I know I was disappointed last year, but still put some bids on.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 15:56:05 PM »
The problem with that Andrew is that rescues eat up money on vet bills, feeding, litter etc and £500 goes no where as you know from your recent vet bill.

£500 could end up only part treating one cat!

Sad but true I am afraid  :(

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 15:52:40 PM »

The cats are the priority but surely if it was split and say we made £1000, then £500 each is better than nothing, isn't it?

Anyway I am looking forward to the auction in whatever guise it comes.  ;D ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 15:49:28 PM »
No poll but will contact Tan.

Can you not see the poll Gill?

Can now but not before I wrote to you, must have been a time delay cos when I saw it a number had voted  :Crazy:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 14:54:10 PM »
I understand what you mean Tan but you are right - whatever way it goes I will still have the same input and it will be the cats that benefit wherever they are  :Luv:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 14:51:15 PM »

Can you not see the poll Gill?

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 14:49:51 PM »
Oh Liz hun  :( :( :(  so sorry to hear about Sundae Rose  :( :( :(   My love and thoughts are with you all.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Included the split option and you can change your vote if you want to.

As Gill says we have tried the split option before and it was better to concentrate on just one rescue esp with our feed a cat threads etc and with the rescues posts about the cats in their care to help promote the auction to raise more for them.

The choice is yours as to me it's the needy cats at the end of the day that will get our help no matter what rescue or both we pick. :)

Thanks for contacting Lillys Dawn hun  :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
Trouble with split options is that they dont get much money and its harder to run the auction. We abandoned that after trying it once.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
I'd like to see a 'split' option on the poll myself.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »

I dont think money should go to any resc ue that doesnt post at all!

So its Ron all the way for me.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:14 PM »
Tan would it be possible to split the proceeds? It is very hard because both are needy causes and Yorkshire Cat rescue is dear to my heart as I live in the area - every little counts would mean every little would help both maybe?
http://yorkshirecatrescue.org/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:42:08 PM by souffle »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Royal Canin will be with me next week once I am home from Baku but am having a rough time just now as we lost Sundae Rose one of our 7mo blind kittens on Saturday very suddenly and without warning so are a bit raw at the moment but will help where we can x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
I'm in contact with Lily's kitchen, will let you know if they are able to help

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »
Many many thanks to all who have contacted any sponsors. 
If you have sponors who would like to have their logo advertised in our news section, we will need an image from them. This is an extract from the sponor letter we send out explaining the banner advert

Your banner advert will be shown for x weeks from xx November to up xx December 201x, visible on every page at the top in the site's news section on rotation and will be clickable through to your website. Your ad should be:
- a jpg or gif banner ad of no more than height 100 x width 500 pixels to fit in our news section
- or send me text and an image you would like in a banner ad and I will create the banner ad for you
- or I can take an image and text from your website.
Please let me know which you prefer. Thanks.

If anyone would like to contact any sponors, i Have all base letters from 1st sponsor to a previous sponor letters and can send you them to send off.

Contacted so far are but to confirm are
cat hampurr, crystal clear pet products, Simons cat, Thrive , 3 fat cats, Cat Chat , lady Diana’s, cat gallery, Vet UK , the throw company and Pawprints

If you do have a sponsor that will donate, please pop a post here  :hug: :hug: :thanks:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
hi Hunnies

so sorry it's taken a while to get the auction news out and to sort out who is getting the funds this year.  My spare time has been a bit scarce so I havent had any time to do all the sponsor work sadly.
This means the items going into the auction will mainly be items donated by members so the auction will be on a smaller basis than previous years.   This years theme will be "every little counts" as any funds will help the rescue rather than none at all!

I do have lots to go up myself inlcuding a very very special "cant get anywhere" item  :wow: ;D ;D and I have contacted some fo the sponors that we deal with during the year so there will be some sponor stuff :)

Also as we have had no chance to work on the new software from last year , we will go back to the old way of just posting a thread in the auction section for each item up for auction.

I will set up the new 2015 auction section shortly (this week) with usual instruction etc.

Right on to which rescue will get the funds, This has not been an easy decision and i have lain awake worrying over this last few nights.  :scared: 
Basically, It is important that the Purrs members do know the rescue that their money is go to to help, so it is important that the rescue is a fairly active one on Purrs. The auction always raises more money if there is news about what furbabes are in need, how they are getting along etc  so the Purrs members feel a repore with the rescue and want to help more. This is the main reason for the sucess of our auctions.

It is completely correct that the next independant rescue that is due the auction fund is Yorkshire Cat Rescue but sadly we have not heard for over a year about the babes in care and how they are getting along where other rescues have. But They are still a great rescue and care for many babes in need. Its not the hoomans we give the money for but for the cats at the end of the day.

The next rescue due on the list is Ron at Lost cats Brighton. As you all know he is really struggling at the mo.

So here is my deliema!! I could make the desicion myself and be strict but as the money is all our money , I am going to put it to the vote !!!   Soooo Please can you choose in the above poll who you would like to get the aution money this year. As we are gettin close, please could you pop your vote in by Sunday 1st 10.30am. and when we reach that time, the one with the most votes gets the auction funds this year.
Bear with me while i set the poll :)

Thanks
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:31:04 AM by Tan »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
like soufflé I like to hear where the money has gone as well, I think we all know how hard people work at rescues however that doesn't stop us (we are only human) wanting to know that our £ has gone to feeding those kittens or paying off the vet or whatever it makes us feel more part of the whole thing

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
I agree I like to hear from the rescues as to what the money has been used for. I only contribute a small amout really but when I consider it in terms of the money I am donation especially in terms of postage it is really quite a lot. Last year postage alone for my items was nearly £20 plus the items I buy and the time to knit etc. I wouldn't just shove $30 in a collecting tin so I like to see where it goes. Just a personal thing maybe but it costs nothing to say thanks and update on the forum really.
I think Ron and cats is a worthy and deserving cause and would support that.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:49 AM »
OK people I still waiting to hear from anyone ready to help trying to get sponsors. I have the spreadsheet ready and can drip feed bits to people but will have to be by email.

Anyone who has approached sponsors please pm me with the names so we dont duplicate.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:47 AM »
When rescues were first included on the list they all used to post regularly so it became a shock when they stopped even after taking large amounts of money from us.

You may be happy with them not posting at all but I certainly am not and think that goes for many members, some of whom have left because the rescue element of Purrs doesnt really exist except during the auction and monthly draws when of course they recieve money.

If a rescue cant find time to post once a month then I do not see why they should get any money and suspect that they could lose any money in the future.

Having had so much contact with rescues over the years we are well aware of the work and why we started doing auctions to help out a bit with funding.

However to get sponsors to contribute we need to tell them who the rescue is etc etc.

You have to see this from both sides. The time and work that goes into the auction is massive and we like to know how the money is being used and sponsors also like to know. So right now if they come on Purrs to look they see nothing, zilch from rescues so why should they sponsor!

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
Thanks for your input all.

Sam Mewl has not posted since middle of last year although visited the forum about 2 months ago.

It will be Tans decision who the money goes to and I know she is very concerned about the lack of communication by rescues on Purrs.

While she understands that rescues have loads to do  but if they are going to accept considerable amounts of money from the members, members would like to be kept up to date................one post a month should not be too onourous! Also remember these rescues also get money from the draw!

I was hoping to get the rescue name from Tan overnight but nothing, so will try again.

Liz and anyone else who is contacting or wants to contact potential sponsors please will you email me and use Auction 2015 in the subject as so much junk comes thro.

I have to try and sort out Tans spreadsheet which is in xcell so its smaller and more manageable, will try over weekend.

I understand the rescues not writing regular updates, and don't mind.  I know how busy we are just feeding and caring for 3 + ( 1 feral )cats, and everyday life too...Cats are such a lovely way to be busy though!   :Luv:

Really, if monthly updates are required, I think the rescues should be told before acceptance by Purrs.  I think less than this is acceptable though. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:53:24 PM by CuteCats »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 21:43:54 PM »
OK spreadsheet ready to send out...............can be split between many  ;D

Anyone willing to send out to companiies our begging email, that will be included to  ;D

Also have thank you emails and request for ads and ummmmmm after auction one too I think.

Please email if you can help, Purrs will refund your P&P costs if items are sent to you for despatch to winners.

Instructions on what to do for auction, I will make up as we go along  :shify: :shify:

Anyone who has already had a reply from a sponsor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes or no..............please let me know what company and in a pm or email  please not on this thread.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 14:31:29 PM »
Thanks for your input all.

Sam Mewl has not posted since middle of last year although visited the forum about 2 months ago.

It will be Tans decision who the money goes to and I know she is very concerned about the lack of communication by rescues on Purrs.

While she understands that rescues have loads to do  but if they are going to accept considerable amounts of money from the members, members would like to be kept up to date................one post a month should not be too onourous! Also remember these rescues also get money from the draw!

I was hoping to get the rescue name from Tan overnight but nothing, so will try again.

Liz and anyone else who is contacting or wants to contact potential sponsors please will you email me and use Auction 2015 in the subject as so much junk comes thro.

I have to try and sort out Tans spreadsheet which is in xcell so its smaller and more manageable, will try over weekend.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 13:32:45 PM »
I think the money for the auction to go to Ron and Lost cats Brighton to help them to get Rons vision

I agree with that.  I know Purrs has always adhered to a strict rotation system for the auction funds and I also appreciate that ALL rescues need money to survive, but in the case of Lost Cats Brighton they really are approaching a make or break situation.  They need all the help they can get and they need it NOW.

They really need a new location don't they?  There is an appeal at the top of the page for them which does draw attention.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
I think the money for the auction to go to Ron and Lost cats Brighton to help them to get Rons vision

I agree with that.  I know Purrs has always adhered to a strict rotation system for the auction funds and I also appreciate that ALL rescues need money to survive, but in the case of Lost Cats Brighton they really are approaching a make or break situation.  They need all the help they can get and they need it NOW.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 08:37:33 AM »
I'm happy to leave the beneficiary to Tan's good judgement as in the past.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
I do think it should be someone who comes on purrs

Link to CatChat