Author Topic: Found this in the paper  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Found this in the paper
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 16:13:22 PM »
I do understand people abandoning cats outside shelters. Not in bins etc. If you are desperate, lots of landlords won't take pets, also people being made homeless. The rescues are all full and won't take your cat. I'd probably do the same.

The problem is with society now everything is about status and what you can buy. Buy a pet today purely because you want one and don't think it through, then get rid of it when you are no longer interested. It's all very sad.     

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 15:04:35 PM »

One of the things that really annoys me is people that are going on holiday abandoning their cat or dog to save money on kenneling. If they can afford two weeks in the sun I am sure they can spare £60 or so a week for the cat. I don't know how much it is for dogs.
My sister used to have four cats and when she went away 1 came to me and 3 went to the cattery. She only has two now but they still go to the cattery.

My cats come first in my house. You can ask them  ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 14:16:59 PM »

Nobody knows what's around the corner, but if you care about your pets their welfare should come, if not first (I don't have children, so they do with me!), at least pretty damn high on the list, and much higher than embarrassment or inconvenience.

Well said, it must of been heartbreaking for you  :hug:

I volunteer at a rescue and they often have cats left on their doorstep. You dont know their age, temprement, if they have been neutered, medical history or anything  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 14:31:16 PM by emmmy_lou »
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 13:13:31 PM »
As I mentioned elsewhere, my life took a serious downturn, and I had to give up my cats, as I didn't know if I'd have anywhere to live myself. The first thing I did was contact the local rescue, and all but two of them were rehomed. It wasn't an easy phone call to make, but simply abandoning them would have been much more painful.
When I got settled in my new home, I was able to get two of the cats back. If I hadn't called for help, and just dumped them, I don't think I'd be able to have cats now. No reputable rescue would touch me with a bargepole, and I might have been prosecuted for neglect, quite rightly.
Nobody knows what's around the corner, but if you care about your pets their welfare should come, if not first (I don't have children, so they do with me!), at least pretty damn high on the list, and much higher than embarrassment or inconvenience.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
I can't read the papers, watch the news or go on facebook these days, is always too heartbreaking.

I know this sounds a bit right wing but we need a 'selective" and painless plague, there are too many ignorant cruel worthless people on the planet. Those who are cruel or neglectful to animals are the very worst in my opinion.  If that makes me a judgmental bigot then fine, I don't deny it.

X

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
All I can say is B :censored:  :(

I was at the RSPCA where I do the home visits for cats on Thursday and 4 tiny puppies were just being brought in that were a cruelty case  :(

I reckon cats and dogs should take over the planet like the apes on Planet of the Apes and then the  :censored: would know how it feels.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Its infuriating and heartbreaking.

I know there are times when circumstances change and people can no longer look after their pets, but too many just rush in and dont consider the long term costs. To just dump an animal is heartless.

I remember the cat left in the recycling bin as it was local to me

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/cat-thrown-bottle-bank-asda-7031110

It had gone missing for a week or so, luckily was unharmed and reunited with its owners. I dont know if they ever caught the culprits or not. They would probably only get a measly fine anyways knowing the 'justice' system!  >:(
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 21:49:12 PM »
So sad, I just wish we had more politician that were interested in changing the laws to protect animals in this country. Charities seem to be fighting a losing battle.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Found this in the paper
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 20:35:39 PM »

Found this article in the paper. Disgraceful

Link to CatChat