Author Topic: Cat weights  (Read 1897 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Cat weights
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 21:58:11 PM »
I hope you manage to get him to the vet tomorrow.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you both.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 14:39:29 PM »
Sotyca and Ginge  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
he's now about 10/11 I think - hard to age him as I don't know his history but I remember the first time we took him to the vets they said they thought he was about 6 years old.  When he was a full tom he was quite muscular and kept quite rounded until about a year or so ago.  Over summer I realised that he had lost a lot of weight - but his bones aren't protruding, it's just he looks tiny now.  He's certainly the smallest of any of the cats I have ever had and weighs nothing when he is picked up.

I didn't see him at all yesterday but put him some more bedding down in the shed and he was in there this morning.   he hasn't eaten still, not interested at all which will now be the 4th day - and after the injections yesterday I don't think is a good sign.  I've brought him inside to keep an eye on him and get him a bit warmer - he's just stayed on the blanket where I put him - he would normally be exploring.  He's happy to be stroked and fussed and is alert to noises and things moving but he's just not himself at all. 

Getting quite concerned now that he hasn't even tried to walk anywhere.   He shuffles himself when he wants to rearrange himself on the blanket.

I keep hoping that he will improve, and putting off the call to the vet but I suspect it is inevitable.  He is only going to get weaker if he doesn't eat and it isn't fair on him to not do anything.    If he started eating he may have a chance but seeing him now I think he isn't going to have much time left.  :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 22:51:17 PM »
Only just seen this and I'm so sorry Ginge isn't well  :hug:

How old is he and has he always been slim?

Bonnie will be 17 in December and she's been with me 7 years now and always been small.  She gets weighed when she goes for her booster every year and has always been just over 3 Kg. Took her on Thursday and she was 2.94 Kg and the vet said she had lost a bit and asked me if she was still eating ok which she is and nearly 1/2 a packet of Dreamies each day too.

That weight for one cat is not necessarily good for another and especially as Ginge isn't eating.  Have you tried him on some fish poached in milk or some boiled ham, tuna or something that he might be tempted with?

Good luck  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 17:39:32 PM »
Poor Ginge has deteriorated a lot in the last couple of days. He was fine on Wednesday night, playing around the garden and eating normally even with all the fireworks going off.  Didn't see him all Thursday or Friday until about 10.30pm when he walked very slowly and subdued to the kitchen door.  He wouldn't come inside, didn't meow and just looked completely like he had no life in him.  He refused food which is unheard of.

He didn't appear this morning but he was in the shed (which is always open for him and got a nice cat den in it for him). He wasn't in the den but was just huddled up next to some of the tools.  He didn't want to get up and again refused food and was pretty lifeless. When he did start walking he was shivering and his front leg wasn't moving right.

Got him in at the vets and they think he has an infection so injected with antibiotics and painkillers and he should start picking up in 24 hours.  Took the opportunity to have him booked in for bloods next week.

Haven't seen him since and this will be the third day that he hasn't eaten with us - and at his weight he can't afford to not be eating.  Not entirely sure he is going to make it and surprised at how upset I am at the thought he may not be around much longer. :( Of course he could pick up and be fine tomorrow but I have never seen him so sad looking.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 22:07:02 PM »
Unless a very small cat, I'd say 2.5kgs is certainly underweight and I would be asking for tests now  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 20:53:11 PM »

It is a bit light I would get them to do thyroid tests right away. Having had a cat with thyroid problems, she went from 9lbs down to 3 and a half and she ate like a horse, anything and everything.

hope everything works out  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 20:31:39 PM »
Yes this is quite a low weight for an adult cat and if you can feel his spine and ribs it is likely he is under weight.

I think you need to keep a really good watch on him and think he should be over 3 kg minimum and maybe a test should be run now.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Cat weights
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 19:55:31 PM »
Had to take Ginge (stray cat/3rd cat) to the vet tonight - when he said hello his mouth was full of blood and he had blood down his front legs.  :sick:   Turns out he had bitten his tongue quite badly (only about 3 teeth in his mouth so no idea how he can manage that one!!!).  When he was weighed though he was only 2.5kg.   

Is this very light for a cat?  He is only small framed and I have said for a few months he is looking thin but I haven't really got much to refer him too as Robbie is muscular and quite large framed and Sky is just, erm, well-rounded.  All my cats have been about 4-5kg (Sky being the exception!).

You can't see his spine or bones so he isn't looking emaciated he just looks very thin.  He eats normally, well he would eat more than the other 2 if I gave him the chance! - I have to take him back in a couple of months to be weighed and if he has lost weight he will be tested for thyroid problems.

Link to CatChat