Author Topic: I am getting desperate  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: I am getting desperate
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
The paper pellets are very smooth under paw and foot, and as for wood pellet use 30 litres a week and 15kgs of the Clay sorts, I get my wood pellet for £9.99 from PAH and they deliver and usually have special offers on which can be good as well

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »
Thanks. I do cut the pads to fit the tray. I can put up with it if it works...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
Yes it does sound like she wants a smooth surface and I would stay with what works best for all. maybe cut the puppy pads into 1/4 pr 1/8 and buy in bulk. At end of day think newspaper probably as expensive lol.

Good quality litter like Smart cat pellets cost me £11.60 for largest bag but in winter go thro them so fast with 3 cats but think she doesnt like the hardness underfoot like you said.

Never used paper pellets but will not be smooth underfoot.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Yes newspaper works although not as absorbent. I reckon an empty tray would work too but I don't want her trailing wet paws all over.

I'll see about paper pellets although I have the distinct impression she wants a smooth surface. How are paper pellets different to those wood ones?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
does newspaper in the tray work?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
I use 5 sorts of litter here, clumping clay, larger non clumping clay, wood pellet, paper pellets which may be worth a try you can get small bags of them and finally potting compost yes we are trying to get Cody in for the einter and I also have empty trays which are heavily used by some of my indoor/outdoor crew and my oldies

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »
Hello again :)

Thanks for all your advice. The high pitched deterrents have been turned off, it didn't seem to make a difference either way.

So, fingers crossed....she appears to be consistently weeing in a new litter tray that is lined with a puppy pad.Other 'hot spots' in the house are protected with puppy pads and she hasn't used them for a while (although that last time I removed one she peed on the floor where it had been, even though when it was protected by the pad she didn't use it!)
I have tried offering her trays with cats best, large wood pellets and super fine clay but none have been as tempting as the floor or the puppy pads.

My plan now is to reduce the size of the puppy pads, bit by bit and eventually get rid of them altogether. I have guests over at christmas and i'd really like to resemble a normal household at least for a while...

Anyway, the puppy pads...are they a long term solution? There are down sides to them such as cost and the fact that they don't hide the smell at all. Should I be trying to offer her anything else instead?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:47:31 AM by msrisotto »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 19:09:44 PM »
OK good luck

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 19:09:18 PM »
They will go! But the problem pre dates them, they were an attempt at a solution.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 19:07:18 PM »
The high pitched detterents need to go!

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 18:08:06 PM »
Ok, I've never heard of coir in that way before, every day is a school day!

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 17:59:21 PM »
Coir is a peat replacement you get from the garden centre. It's soft and light but is like compost so you do get a bit of it trailed around the house.
Julie.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 16:49:50 PM »
Yeah, I have Zylkene but haven't used it yet.

I can try wood pellets, I am reluctant to have actual mud in the house though, and Bickhamwitch - what do you mean by coir? Like a front door mat? If she was consistently weeing on the puppy pad in the box, then I would feel better about trying (and buying) all kinds of different types of litter, but she's not and that is what is so confusing.

Are many cats like this?

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 16:00:11 PM »
Just a thought. I wonder if organic compost or coir might make a good cat litter for a cat that doesn't like normal litter.
Julie.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 15:35:07 PM »
very fine grain is usually what is recommended but don't suppose it could hurt, sounds like you've tried everything else! by the way zylkene that Liz mentioned is a powder you put in food

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 15:29:10 PM »
I can hardly remember why I don't use them anymore. It was probably that she was peeing outside the box and the internet recommended finding the finest grade litter I could. She hasn't had wood pellets in 5 years - you think I should change back? I don't mind of course. I just thought it was too long ago now to make a difference.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 14:55:21 PM »
So why arent you using the wood pellets now ?

I would get rid of the high pitched deterrents as she will be able to hear them.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
Is that plug in like Feliway? I also bought pet remedy drops but they don't seem to have had any effect.

I got her as a kitten 5 years ago. She was used to those big wood pellets.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
Zylkene is a natural product and I use it on ferals when they forst come in to us its takes the edge off them there are also plug in diffusers in the Purrs shop which we have used in the past again with relative success

What litter did she ise before coming to you and I use compost with the ferals gradually replacing with sawdust pellets over time and then they use the pellets and clumping clay - I use Clumping clay, paper pellets, wood pellets and have sevetal empty grit boxes with nothing in it and all are used they can be fickle our fur kids

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Hello again   :)

So we had a good couple of weeks, but now she's taken to peeing on the floor again! The house is covered with puppy pads and tin foil  :( Will she ever be a normal cat?

We have 2 litter boxes with regular cats best, and one litter box with a puppy pad in. She will poo in her regular box, and wee in the box with the puppy pad or on the floor around the boxes.

I've noticed that she scratches at the window frames too and think she might be insecure in her territory. I heard cats fighting outside overnight but what can I do about that? I don't see cats come closer than 10/12 feet of the house (just passing through!) and I have high pitched noise deterrents front and back. I bought Zylkene but have never given it to her....hate to do so when I had 2/3 weeks of success. Any comments appreciated x
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:22:21 AM by msrisotto »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 07:22:53 AM »
It does sound really encouraging.   ;D  I agree though - take it very slowly before changing anything else - give the situation a chance to settle.  It might just be that the sight blocking has worked and taken the tension out of the situation.  Well done for persevering.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 14:59:04 PM »
Sounding good, phase out very slowly

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 14:45:04 PM »
Update!

Thank you for your advice. Jelly appears to have gone back to using the boxes in the downstairs loo, where they've always been with the same litter that has always been in there. The only difference is that I blocked up the window so maybe that has helped. I haven't removed the box by the back door yet, nor the puppy training pads I put down, but she hasn't used them for about a week! Fingers crossed I can phase them out.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 19:50:21 PM »
I have 2 Ragdolls Minmin is 4kgs and Casper is 8kgs so raggies do come in all shapes and sizes ;D  Minmin is a chocolate seale point and Casper is a Blue bi but I also have an NFC at 8.72kgs and some of the moggies are 7kgs they are big boys!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 17:53:28 PM »
Ragdolls not a big breed a cross could be but they look so like birmans and they bloomin breed them with white feet now grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »

Hi Frances. I went through the same thing with Zoonie, peeing and pooping everywhere except the litter tray. I >:( ;D tried everything,  every cat litter going trays in different places. In the end it was back to original litter. He now uses the tray every day for pee and poop, occasionaly he poops outside the tray and always in the same spot. I think he needs a bigger tray as he is a big cat /kitten, he and his brother Astrophe are 8 months old.
I don't know much about ragdolls or ragdoll cross, are they a large breed. Maybe a big tray could help.

Not being much help am I   ;D

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 19:20:37 PM »
I took out the litter and put paper in it. Nt completely sure what that tells me...she likes a smooth surface?

I used paper (cheapo loo roll - it's flushable!) instead of litter for one of mine.  Eleanor is missing a front leg so cannot dig and took against the wood pellets I've been using for the boys.  She didn't have a problem accepting the paper and I'm not really sure why it works other than paper is often the first stage in getting kittens to use a tray, it soaks up everything quickly and, for her particularly, it was possibly easier to balance on.  I kept using the loo roll for about a month and then tried her with Cat's Best, which also has a pretty quick "soakaway" action and which she now seems quite happy with.

If she's happy to wee on paper and poo on Cat's Best and with the location of her trays (even if they're not that convenient for you), I'd be inclined to leave things as they are for a while so that you all have an opportunity to de-stress!

I used RX66, a bio-enzymatic liquid that kills the bacteria that causes the smells cats go back to, which has been recommended by other Purrs-mates.  I got myself this: http://www.commandenvironmentalsolutions.com/epages/BT4547.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4547/Products/POSKD which is the whole kit & caboodle of cleaner, digester and smell remover and which has lasted ages.  The super strength foul odour eliminator mini spray is a godsend for super strength poos! :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 14:55:28 PM »
Fingers crossed

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
She still poos in her cats best litter though. Strange. Still, I will hope that this is the issue (and the location which she has chosen herself) so I can figure out a long term solution. I read on here or somewhere else that their cat likes material hamster bedding which is a thought.

I'm using biological washing solution and surgical spirit to clean as well now.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 00:46:30 AM »
Sounds like the litter was not to her taste. maybe you need something very fine

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 22:44:10 PM »
I put her in a harness and she spent the whole time eating it so that might take a bit longer...!

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 22:37:46 PM »
Thank you for your support. My husband is useless at trying to think out what to do to try to fix this so I've got no one else.

So, 2 out of the last 3 wees have been in the new litter box by the back door, since I took out the litter and put paper in it. Nt completely sure what that tells me...she likes a smooth surface? Maybe I'll put litter box no.2 over there as well to see if it more about the location....

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 14:32:22 PM »
I think I might consider having more tests done. You did mention she was drinking a lot more now and also she was a bit dehydrated at the vets. Is it possible there is a kidney problem. diabetes or maybe something like bladder stones causing cystitis or making her wee more. I don't know but I think I'd like more tests to try and establish it is not medical. She is likely going back to the same spot due to it still having the smell even in the air. Even if it is psychological the vets may be able to give something for a sensitive bladder?
Could you try her outside on a harness and lead maybe and see if she gets upset outside. If the other cats are weeing near the step she will smell it even if the door is shut and you don't go out. If you have insurance it should be covered. I hope it gets sorted soon.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
I put a litter box as far away from both doors as I could, but she still went by the back door overnight. I have put the box back there now.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 21:12:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll look at those links. Good point about the deterrents. To be honest, I've not seen cats in the garden either so I'm not convinced there's much worth repelling.

Someone mentioned to me that letting her outside might make it worse if she can smell other cats....what do you think?

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 19:00:53 PM »
Jackson posted a video on the Q&A of Litter Boxes, here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW5yOYK8c60

He also did one how to set one up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzliLSt7myE

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 17:39:42 PM »
Just a thought about the cat repellers, it could be she can hear them from inside even if you cant and this is upsetting her.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 17:17:03 PM »
Thank you both, I do have a black light for ensuring the urine is cleaned up properly and there isn't anything to suggest outside cats are marking the house. She has short/mid length fur.

I have bought a motion activated sonic animal repellent for the front and back doors.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412265952&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+motion+cat+deterrent

I love Jackson Galaxy! Must have watched all the Cat from Hell programmes and read his book too, thanks for the recommendation.

She has done a tiny wee in her box today (in the same spot as always. This morning I moved the 3rd box to a spot furthest away from any doors but she hasn't used it yet) but I put rescue remedy in her favourite water bowl and she's not drunk much of it so maybe that is related. I'll see if I have any cardboard for covering up the windows. In the living room she sits on a tall cat tree which looks out the patio doors onto the garden - do I have to block up the whole lot? I'd feel quite guilty about shutting off her 'cat tv' and also, would hate to lose the view myself. I could cope with blocking off the bottom foot or two though.

I bought brackets a few years ago and attempted to enclose the garden with flimsy netting which failed miserably. I can look for a more sturdy plastic chicken wire type material this weekend and have another go.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
It's good that you've attempted to rule out any physical disability, which might be affecting her.  However, it could be worth another visit, just to be on the safe side if you're thinking it may be physical rather than pschological.

Or, possibly, as she's part rag doll, and presumably quite fluffy, she may find the type of litter is causing static and giving her electric shocks.  It can apparently be problematic for longer haired cats, who can generate and pick up static more easily.  (just a thought!)

Also, cats dont always like to have their litter boxes tucked away in private places.  They like to see whether or not they're going to be ambushed during a very vulnerable moment, which is why although boxes with lids are favoured by humans for their cats, a lot of cats dont feel particularly safe using them.

Jackson Galaxy has some very useful information on his website, and I found this link, which could help to give you valuable clues as to your girl's behaviour. 

You could also consider "sight screens" on any windows where the outside cats may be able to see in - that could be an opaque material stuck to the glass, or cardboard taped over it, so it prevents her seeing other cats and from them seeing her.

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/08/18/cat-mojo-why-does-my-cat-pee-outside-the-litter-box/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JacksonGalaxy+%28Jackson+Galaxy%29

Is it possible to her to have outdoor access without having to leave the garden - ie could you cat proof the garden and then give her access (maybe not possible if you're in a flat or dont have access to garden space)?

The blacklight torch Kay suggested is a good idea, as you could then check outside and see where the visitor cats may be marking and see if there's a correlation to where your cat is weeing.

What deterrents have you tried in terms of the outside cats?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 23:30:40 PM »
I'd certainly give moving the litter trays well away from outside doors and windows a try, to see if it makes a difference - the fact that she pees outside the tray, without being able to dig and cover, suggests to me she intends her wee to be plain to see and smell, and that can only be directed at 'enemy' cats outside the door

whether they are actually there is another matter, but that could  be her logic in her little furry brain

I'm no expert on cleaning urine, but I have read others recommending bio powder, and using a special torch which shows up where the stains are might be a good investment,  as you could well be missing  some

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+urine+light&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=33183153230&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9329270897364577665&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_43oiuaj694_b
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 23:31:20 PM by Kay&3Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat