Author Topic: I am getting desperate  (Read 6358 times)

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
Re: I am getting desperate
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 22:42:52 PM »
Thank you for replying!

1. As she was peeing right by the doors, I put the litter boxes right there, are you saying I should put them as far away from the doors as possible?

2. I have been using shop bought enzymatic cleaner which I have hoped would be enough. Maybe I should go back to a DIY washing powder/water solution?

3. I was advised to keep her inside for her own safety as she is part rag doll part moggy and they said that rag dolls aren't very street savvy. I don't live directly on the worst road, but a busy road isn't far away.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: I am getting desperate
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 22:10:15 PM »
the first question must be - have you tried her with a litter box as far away from doors and windows to the outside? it's not unusual for cats to wee near exterior doors, because they are aware there are other cats outside, and they are marking to keep them away

second question is do you think you have managed to eliminate all trace of urine smell where she has been? sometimes it is better to keep the litter trays away from the soiled areas, and try covering them with aluminium foil after a thorough clean with biological washing powder

third question concerns your reasons for keeping her as an indoor cat - unless there is real danger from traffic, she might well be happier going outside, but I would strongly recommend you keep her in from dusk to dawn - the cats likely to pick fights with her will probably be roaming around at night, and there is also more danger from cars during the hours of darkness - the ideal is to make your garden proof against her getting out, and other cats getting in
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
I am getting desperate
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 21:36:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I don't post much but have been a member and reader since 2010. I love my cat dearly but can't go on cleaning up wee at least twice a day.

She is an indoor cat (5 years old, spayed) and has stopped weeing in any of her (3) litter boxes. I move them to where she wees and she'll pick a different spot, or she'll wee right in front or next to them, sometimes so close it goes under the box. She does not adopt the spraying position, it is a squat down wee but it is by the front and back doors downstairs so does look like territorial marking, however she really does empty her bladder - is that a sign of something else? This started intermittently in the height of summer and she has a history of doing this infrequently. I took her and a urine sample to the vets and they didn't find anything apart from that she was a little dehydrated, i've put more water bowls out and she drinks a lot more now. They just did the cheap test, not the culturing and no bloods- do you think I need to get that done?

About once a month or two I might hear cats fighting outside - this is the only evidence of other cats that I have noticed. I put deterrents outside anyway, just in case they were bothering her. I also put out a third litter box with a different type of litter but she didn't touch it and I don't think she has a problem with the type of litter. Her 2 boxes are in a good location (private, quiet etc) and I spot clean them often - the third box is not in a great spot but it is where she was weeing so she chose it although she doesn't use it. I clean using the Pets at home Simple Solution.

I've been using Feliway plug ins for months, bought some rescue remedy which she dislikes and have now resorted to ordering a packet of Zylkene. I'd prefer not to medicate her to be honest. She has a cat tree and lots of scratching posts and beds all of which she uses.

Thank you for reading this far.

Do you think letting her go out would help her? Do you have any other ideas? I don't know how long this can go on and re-homing her is my worst nightmare.

Link to CatChat