Author Topic: Felicity very poorly  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Felicity very poorly
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 19:44:10 PM »
Oh Pav what a stunning result and am so happy for you and Felicity  ;D ;D

that evil evil other vet just makes me so angry how he is ripping people off and not treating the animals right.

Starting a new trend with trousers inside out  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 19:45:03 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 19:18:38 PM »
That is such good news Pav but it makes me even more mad that the nasty vet  put  you through so much heartache (and expense).

Sending gentle get well soon vibes for Felicity and more  :hug: :hug: :hug: for her Ma. 

Bunty has had an upset tummy and been a bit below par this week but reduced portions and a change to Sensitivity food seem to have it under control.  I've been keeping her indoors so that I can check on her tray activity but decided she could go out again today.  What did she do but catch and eat a vole.  :Crazy:  So much for a light  diet.  :sigh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 19:03:28 PM »
well I'm feeling much happier so I can't imagine how happy you must be now, Pav

raised lymph nodes suggest an infection, which hopefully is on the way out now - the foul tasting abs are probably antirobe - if you feel she needs a course the other vet may well be willing to prescribe without seeing her as they will be mentioned in her notes
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 18:50:14 PM »
    only to get to work and realized I wore my trousers inside out :evillaugh:           

Oh Pav - bless your heart!  :hug: :hug: :evillaugh:

Sounds so much more positive, and i think a very sensible idea to see how Miss Felicity fares over the next week or so.  So pleased that you were able to get that appointment.   :hug: :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 18:45:32 PM »
Pav, this all sounds much more positive!!! Great news. Trewsers inside out - who cares - it's a fashion statement  :innocent:  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:  Keep up the good work Felicity. xxxxx
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 18:36:19 PM »
I just wanted to do a quick update, I wont bore you with all the details but I contacted Queens pk surgery for on line app but it mention 48 hours before confirming for app on line. So off we went back to my old vet which treated Boy, Phoebe , Millie and Mister. I decided I have to put Felicity best interest before my personal feeling. Put every thing on paper last night and all my questions.

The vet examined her and said her Lymph nodes are swollen, he drew me a picture and explained where every thing is. He said the last thing he
consider is to open up any animal and put them through surgery . He agreed with other vet that x-ray always doesn't show every thing but what he could do is ultrasound but he need to sedate her as she has to be relaxed and on her back to do so and then he could do a fine needle biopsy of lymph nodes and even insert two tubes on from each end and go in and take a biopsy but he think what is right to do for her is to leave her to recover by her self. I showed him the picture of her soft poo and the one she did this morning which looked firmer and he said she is getting better and in his opinion if she is eating and drinking and going to toilet, then we should leave her for 2-4 weeks and then check her . He reckon she will recover by then and if there is any concern by then he could always do the biopsy and ultra sound. I am over the moon, I did ask him well by writing is that what he'd do if it was his cat and he said yes.
I mention cancer and he said unlikely in a cat her age and also if she is not vomiting then he doesn't think any thing in her bowel.
She had no temperature so he didn't prescribe any med , he said there is a anti biotic tab(Cant remember name) He could give her but its bitter and taste awful and no need really. I spent 50 min in there with all the writing and explaining and paid £38.00 for consultation .
I did forget to ask though why the lymph nodes are inflammed :-:

So sad though that the other vet put us through this .
He also said the insurance wont have any problem with changing vets and when I am ready I could ask them to contact the other vet and request her results and file.
He is going away for 3 weeks on Monday but he said the vet who is covering has 14 years of experience .
I am just going to keep an eye on her, she eats 3 pouches and dry food at the moment , the only thing he recommended was to switch her wet food to sensitivity but I was so happy leaving I for got to buy the food so will go back tomorrow.
I got home and changed quickly as I was covered in Felicity's fur, only to get to work and realized I wore my trousers inside out :evillaugh:
Once again thank you soooo much every one for all your kind words and advice. :hug: :hug:
Thank you x 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2014, 20:36:56 PM »
Thank you every one, I don't think I could get any more stress :( Felicity is covered in fleas, I saw her twitching and biting her back yesterday but decided not to brush her just cleaned her back and tail with wipes and this afternoon while she was having a nap took the comb to her and she has got big fat fleas and lots of flea drops. Now I have to treat the house and Mr J . I think this happened before while she was spayed there cant remember now have to check her thread. And then Nelson comes with a massive sore on his back and missing fur on his tail long like its been shaved. I don't know to laugh or cry.

Sue, I already paid the bill yesterday and the nurse said to take the claim form and they would fill for me I haven't told them yet she is not having the op. I was going today but then couldn't talk. I don't think there will be a problem with insurance I could always say am not happy for him to do the op but then you are all right if I delay her seeing a vet then there could be problem with insurer . I am going to do the on line reg now for Queens pk vet and type every thing at work tomorrow and print it to take with me but then for second opinion they would need to contact the nasty vet and he still could turn nasty and not to do the claim form proper? I am working at Paddington tomorrow so I could just disappear for half an hour to get to queens pk and back to make the appointment and give them the typed explanation :tired:
Thank you for mentioning this I did not think the vet could make problem with insurer not having the op and all that.
Susane, thanks for the idea but I think I go with Queens park vet for now  .
Sue you are an angel , thank you for lovely offer  :hug: :hug:
Gill, I think it must be stressed I lost my voice many years ago and was told bronchitis but then were send to hospital for tests the one they do on your arm with lots of dots and it turned out am allergic to cats :Crazy: Never found out if it was bronchitis or cats which caused it.
Better go and do the form now.
 :hug:
Sorry for all the typing error, computer is low on battery trying to do every thing before it dies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 20:39:55 PM by pappilon »

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2014, 19:46:34 PM »
Pav, the last thing I want to do is to stress you out any more than you already are  :hug: but please consider this:

1. Your nasty vet has said Felicity needs an operation.  This may or may not be the case, and we all hope that it isn't, but until you get her seen by another vet you won't know.

2. You need the nasty vet to fill in the insurance forms so that you can claim back the exorbitant fees he has already charged.  If he feels so inclined he could tell the insurers that he has advised surgery but you have refused.  If you subsequently discover that Felicity does need surgery which, heaven forbid, turns out to be complicated (and therefore expensive), the insurers could argue that your delay contributed to the complexity of the procedure and refuse to pay, especially if backed up by your nasty vet. 

Please accept Sue's generous offer to take things up with your nasty vet and act on Frances' advice to contact Queens Park by Email, explaining that you have lost your voice and are unable to speak to them.  The situation is not going to get any better by delaying.  I fully understand that your employer is putting pressure on you and you need to keep your job, but once you have another vet appointment booked you could perhaps ask for the time off and offer to make it up at the end/beginning of the same/following day whichever is more convenient.  If you don't think that would work, you could say you have a doctor's appointment - after all they will be able to see for themselves that you have lost your voice.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2014, 18:56:25 PM »
I know of Village vet in Maida vale
:shify:

They were good when they were Tom the Cat Place.  When VV took over I stayed with them because the vet on site was excellent with Woody, despite him trying to wreck the surgery. :evillaugh:

If I were you I'd take up Sue's offer to contact your vet; I hate the thought of him getting away with overcharging for such offhand treatment.

Queens Park have an email address on their website if you want to contact them before your voice returns.

:hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 18:46:45 PM »
Yes I think you are right Sue  :-[

My apologies Pav  :-[ :-[

I think that Pav needs the money from the insurers Sue probably asap.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 18:43:18 PM »
Gill, I think Pav means that she has to go in tomorrow to Saturday, so wont be able to get Felicity to the vet in the interim.

I think we all understand only too well how stressed this will be making you feel, Pav.  I would happily pick up the cudgels on your behalf with the vet if you want me to.  Not putting you under any pressure, I just feel so annoyed at the way they have treated you and Felicity.  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 18:12:07 PM »
Pav Pav Pav today is wed 6 Aug, so tomorrow is not Sat! and there is thur fri and Sat to get her to a vet.

If you have to go to work tomorrow Thur cant someone ring the vets for you..................my own personal thought is to get Felicity booked in to see a vet at Queens asap. you can write stuff down for them to read. Ask to see a vet who is very good with cats cos yours is terrified of people.

If you are not at work tomorrow maybe your neighbour will ring for you, write down what you want her to say. Remember to ask if they will take payment straight from insurers.

I am very stressed here too and cat stuff stresses me out so much and it becomes a cycle of cant eat cant sleep a nd get ill.

Your throat is probably as the result of stress, I lost mine for over 6 months once until the stress went away.

Please try and stay calmish and sort out Felicity now.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2014, 18:04:15 PM »
Sending lots more vibes for Felicity  :hug:  Good that she is eating and playing.

Your vet sounds terrible.  I hope you can find someone else that you can trust.  The last thing you need when a pet is sick is to not have confidence in your vet or to feel that they are overcharging.

If you want recommendations it might be worth asking on petforums.  Purrs it aint (always my no.1 forum!) but as there are more people there are likely to be people in London who might be able to give a personal recommendation.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 17:05:30 PM »
Hi Rosella, yes I am. Specially  as I woke up this morning at 5 to find out I have lost my voice  :( I am so upset as I couldn't call the insurer or the vetfone to discuss Felicity. I had an email from work that am needed at work tomorrow - Saturday. It means I cant take her to a vet till Monday that is if I get my voice back :-: I am worried about delay in taking her in  though she is still eating and playing , but there isn't much I can do :'(

Frances, thank you for the links. I quite like the queens park vet as its closer than the Harrow road. But need to be able to call and speak to them first which am not able right now. They both have good reviews. I know of Village vet in Maida vale I used their practice in Hampstead they are one of the few which have 24/7 service but I ended up transferring both Phoebe and Boy to a different vet. Long story but its all in their thread.
Phoebe had thyroid and CRF and they quote me £2500 to operate on her to remove thyroid glance which I didn't go through with as they wouldn't let the vet who was treating her to operate , once I transferred her the new vet said her thyroid was hidden and impossible to remove them and quote for the same op £700!!

Gill, yes I like the queens park and you are right in NW London only 2 surgery offer 24/7 service. One village vet and other Medi vet in Hendon I used them over 20 years when I had to rush Piccollo at 1 am and they were great. But I doubt if they have the same vets after 20 years?

Sue, I have the break down of the treatments, the charges so high it adds up like consultation £43.20 Feline profile(Biochem/Haem) £104.28
PLI(don't know what that is?) 107.45 . Hospitalisation intensive care £118.49 and so on :Crazy: I just don't have the energy to challenge it, I know I should . Just so many things had gone wrong in last couple of months I feel exhausted .
Dawn, I will def call John lewis. They were great yesterday when I called for claim forms. :hug:
Allison, Slugsta thank you for your kind thoughts :hug: :hug:

Carol, Thank you for the vibes. I think that is the reason I never connected with this vet and thought he is cold. I some times wondered if he likes animals >:( Still don't understand why he insist on keeping her over night? Mayhew have their own clinic which treats all the rescues they also offer low cost treatments once a week but you have to be on benefits ! I remember with Phoebe ,  as she was getting worse every day while in care of Village vet I went to Mayhew and asked them if their vet would take her in and treat her . I knew they wouldn't make her suffer for the sake of money and also she was their cat which was very difficult to home and I took her in to find out she had dislocated jaw and when informed Mayhew they said there was an incident when the rescue officer tried to catch her in her home and they thought that is when it happened and of course she was in pain for long time with out any one noticing. So I reminded them that I treated that and now I was desperate for their help and would pay in full for treatment but the practice manager declined and said the clinic was very busy and couldn't take private cases :(
I could always go back to the vet which treated Mister, he was good with Boy, Phoebe and Millie but after losing Mister I just couldn't face going back there and seeing his nurses mistreating a cat . Mister had a dislocated hip and he assured me Mister was going to be fine but I guess it wasn't his fault it was a blood cloth during the op  :'( Sorry just have to go its brought so many memories back .
Oh I want my voice back, thank you every one for all your thoughts and advice :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 15:24:46 PM »
Felicity and Pav  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: I do hope you were able to phone your insurers and get some useful advice.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 14:13:06 PM »
Topping up the positive vibes for Felicity, and of course the  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you Pav. 

I think you're vet's treatment of you is breathtakingly appalling and it would worry me that if he treats the owner like that he may well have a similar attitude to the pets under his care.  It looks like there have been a few suggestions on this thread for alternative vets and I do hope you find a good one soon.  Just a thought, but if the Mayhew is near to you (I know nothing about your area) then you might ask who they use.  Although the amount of discount offered is of great importance to rescues when choosing a vet, it is seldom the over-riding decider and no good rescue would tolerate the type of treatment you and Felicity have been subjected to. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 14:14:07 PM by CarolM (Wendolene) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 13:08:08 PM »

Gill, I love our one man band Vet.  He tries so much harder than the slicker operators near us, he doesnt take people's money for the sake of it (or rip off Insurers) and he seldom ever has a holiday.  In the 13 years we've been registered with him, we've been fortunate enough never to have encountered locum cover.  [long may it continue]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 13:01:15 PM »
Looking at the websites I like the look of the Queens Park one, ok webs are hard to decide cos they can say anything but it would be really stupid to lie thro your teeth.

My vets website is http://www.stjamesvet.co.uk/ and use the Parkway Branch, no mstaff seem to show anymore but mt vet is one of the partners Gareth with Geraint used if gareth not there, Both looked after napoleon.

I suspect in London very few vets run 24/7 dervices because they will be small animal but any vet who also deals with farm animals must have 24/7  by law.

I think any practice that services mayhew or anothe large rescue is likely to be good.

Personally I dont like one man bands because they have to keep bringing in Locums to cover.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
Pav, I have nothing to add to what's been said above but want to send you lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: and lots of good vibes for Felicity.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »
I have to agree that the way your vet has treated you is appalling >:(.  I used to live in Maida Vale so know that London vets are expensive compared to other parts of the country but £700+ for what you have described seems exhorbitant.  As Sue says, ask for a breakdown of costs.

I was going to suggest my previous vet but reviews suggest that they are not as good as they used to be (I moved 8 years ago and things do change).  When my previous vet went from cats only to all animals I did look at this vet in Queens Park: http://queensparkvets.co.uk/ but in the end decided not to switch.

There is another vet in Harrow Road, fairly near the Mayhew http://www.veterinarycentre.com/our-practice/ I've never visited them but the same vet has been running the practice since it opened and it seems to have a good reputation.

I have to stress I haven't used either practice myself and the knowledge I have of them is now quite old but it may be worth giving them a ring and seeing what vibes you get from them.

:hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »
Oh Pav  :( :( :(  You'll be in turmoil I know   :hug:  I know our vets are pretty basic but they treat us all so well and never rip us off.  When Bobby was so very poorly with cat flu, I used to drop him off as I went to work and the nurses would fuss him, syringe feed him and kept him isolated with a bowl of something to assist his breathing for £14 a day.  They saved his life for sure.

Am very much hoping that John Lewis are able to suggest another vet for a 2nd opinion  :hug: :hug: :hug: but meanwhile am so glad Felicity is eating.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »

Which he replied now you want to tell me my job :-:

made my blood boil  >:(

do give john lewis a ring pav, they were very good with ambers claim and they have a nurse hotline you can get advice from

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 06:54:59 AM »

Pav, how are you both this morning? 

I would most definitely seek a breakdown of the bill you've been given, and also to challenge it.  I know you're not the confrontational type, Pav, but think of it more as being entitled to know what you and your insurance company are being asked to pay for, and exactly what "treatment" has been given.  It isnt as if they told you they were keeping her in for observation, and given that there is no-one at the practice overnight, even "observation"  would appear to be something of a euphemism!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 05:34:18 AM »
Hi Pav,
So sorry Felicity is unwell, but eating is a good sign.
I am sorry but I would never go back to that vet again. I would find another ASAP and put in a formal complaint about his attitude and the handling of the whole situation.he is just in it for the money !

Please look and find another one and don't go back to him , I wouldn't even trust him to,do,the op if it is necessary !

Good luck and it's probably nothing serious.
I was told Pandora might have cancer in the mouth a couple of months ago when she had a lump, I cried that much I could hardly see to pay the bill or drive home, in fact I cried on and off for 3 days till he rang and said it wasn't cancer but stomatitis .  So he could be totally wrong .   Xx :hug: :hug:
Yes she should have had an x ray or a scan to,start off with as well !

I took in a cat  two weeks today that was going to be pts.

So far he has been to the vet with the runs twice , yesterday the poor soul went in again for a dental , he had bloods done at the same time, a tooth out and he had a lump,like Pandora had that was also removed and has been sent off ( possibly stomatitis or could have been the tooth catching on the side of his mouth )
Total for all that was around £300 including two steroid injections , 1 antibiotic injection , I anti diarrhea injection, a full box and half a box of RC gastro intestinal pouches and two sachets of panacur .

Gill, thank you.
I am sorry you are having a bad time with your new rescue. Its so very sad when the vets are not clear.
Yes you are right at least she is eating and playing which is a good sign, cant believe took her as I was concerned about soft poo and now all this.
I understand that in London every thing is more expensive but he said the op would be £600 plus depending how long it takes! he said could take 15 min or 2 hours so if its 2 hours then could be ££££?
She didn't even get antibiotic injection or any med in case its an infection.
I wish your little one all the best, do they know why he is having the runs.
Sending you some gentle hugs.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:36 AM »
Pav I thought you said that the blood test said no cancer? tumour?

Did I misunderstand?

I know you want a new vet but think its most important to get Felicity sorted first aver youd then look for a new one either reecommended or by visiting a few not used before in your area. Remember you can change vet when ever you want, the insurance company arent interested.

Sending Felicity goodnight snuggles and hope you get some sleep too  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh yes and I would challenge that bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a rip off merchant
Sorry Gill, I just type what comes to my head and not making it clear. Just so very tired.
He said the blood test show no inflammation in pancreas. When he first examined her he said growth was in pancreas but now he said its in her bowl.
Last night she stayed in bed with me and I can feel she has lost a lot of weight, so def some thing not right.
I am going to call the insurance vet advice this morning and see if they can recommend a vet in my area, you are right I could always find one later to move them both.
Thank you so much.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:15 AM »
Hi Pav,
So sorry Felicity is unwell, but eating is a good sign.
I am sorry but I would never go back to that vet again. I would find another ASAP and put in a formal complaint about his attitude and the handling of the whole situation.he is just in it for the money !

Please look and find another one and don't go back to him , I wouldn't even trust him to,do,the op if it is necessary !

Good luck and it's probably nothing serious.
I was told Pandora might have cancer in the mouth a couple of months ago when she had a lump, I cried that much I could hardly see to pay the bill or drive home, in fact I cried on and off for 3 days till he rang and said it wasn't cancer but stomatitis .  So he could be totally wrong .   Xx :hug: :hug:
Yes she should have had an x ray or a scan to,start off with as well !

I took in a cat  two weeks today that was going to be pts.

So far he has been to the vet with the runs twice , yesterday the poor soul went in again for a dental , he had bloods done at the same time, a tooth out and he had a lump,like Pandora had that was also removed and has been sent off ( possibly stomatitis or could have been the tooth catching on the side of his mouth )
Total for all that was around £300 including two steroid injections , 1 antibiotic injection , I anti diarrhea injection, a full box and half a box of RC gastro intestinal pouches and two sachets of panacur .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:32:01 AM by bunglycat »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 21:40:27 PM »
Pav I thought you said that the blood test said no cancer? tumour?

Did I misunderstand?

I know you want a new vet but think its most important to get Felicity sorted first aver youd then look for a new one either reecommended or by visiting a few not used before in your area. Remember you can change vet when ever you want, the insurance company arent interested.

Sending Felicity goodnight snuggles and hope you get some sleep too  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh yes and I would challenge that bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a rip off merchant

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 20:24:29 PM »
Gill, thank you for the link. There are few there which I haven't used yet :-[ But was hoping some one could recommend a vet they trust or their vet could suggest a surgery preferably in NW London as she and Mr Jingles get very stressed travelling but am willing to go to other area is better to do a trip than having to stay in surgery after op for days. The vet meant me is more stressed than Felicity of course I am .
Gill I think there is a pet at home in Hendon not too far, but was hoping to find a vet and transfer them both.

Sue, me too but they saw it coming. The fool that's me . The moment he mentioned the C word I burst in to tears.
Kay , I agree but why not take the xray as well? It might show the tumour if there is one. Its not that they were trying to save me money. £704.00 I was charged plus cab back and forward. They charge me £98.74 vet intensive care per day. What intensive care she was in a pen with a litter tray, no drip or meds to administer . I wish he would have given her an antibiotic injection in case its an infection, after all she is a hunter.
Now I cant relax thinking about the lump in her bowel, surely he wouldn't just make that up so have to get this seen to but the trust is gone with this vet :(
Kay, I will call the insurance tomorrow . John lewis has vetphone advice , I could ask their advice. They may be able to recommend a vet. Thank you for mentioning, just cant think straight.
mad-lilli I live in NW London, do have a car but not only my sense of direction is bad but my car gear box is gone and it cost ridiculous amount of money so that is for later. :-: I think that is a bit far to go by cab and also for her to travel and back. But Thank you very much  :hug:

Modify as the word vet comes as vat every time I type.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 20:27:39 PM by pappilon »

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 19:11:58 PM »
Pav, I don't know whether or not you drive or where in London you live?? Your vet sounds like an a#+e to be honest. If there was any way you could get her to Alma Road Veterinary clinic in Windsor, I'd heartily recommend them. That's the one I used when I lived in Watford.......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 19:42:01 PM by mad_lilli, Reason: predictive text faux pas »
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 18:57:53 PM »
if he's talking about an xray not showing up plastic or glass, it sounds as if he thinks there is a foreign body in her bowel, rather than a tumour

I'm glad she's home where you can watch her - and the eating is a good sign and you'll get a chance to see what comes out the other end

why not speak to your insurers about getting a second opinion - if they think the current one is racking up unnecessary charges they will definitely be on your side

have a look here http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/ - if you can find a vet you can get to with level 3 accreditation, which means 24 hour care and hospital facilities, so much the better
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 19:01:10 PM by Kay&3Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 18:42:25 PM »
Pav I dont know if any of these will help http://www.vetclick.com/find-a-vet/north-west-london/

Another thought and please dont laugh but Pets at Home have vets and that could be an option, if there is a lump their vet should be able to feel it.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 18:38:27 PM »
Pav, I have to say I feel appalled at the way your Vet is treating you.  It's wholly unacceptable treatment, not just of Felicity who is his patient, but of you, who are asking wholly valid questions. 

Unfortunately am not in your area, but hoping that someone may be able to give you a viable alternative in terms of vets and a second opinion.  It sounds to me like there's a potential they're milking the insurance viewpoint, and that is just disgusting.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 18:36:34 PM »
Just lost  :censored: post!

Pleased she is home and eating which seems to say you are right and he is wrong!

Lupin had an op to remove a piece pf grass from his throat earler this year and nothing close to that but cant find invoice.

Misa had one to see if he had swallowed something a couple of years ago and think was over £400 and he hadnt, think also included xrays which are nearly £80 each.

You really need a second opininion cos he sounds like a real idiot and if he is stressed about doing his job he is in the wrong job!

I do hope someone can recommend a vet and wish I was close and we would go looking for one.

So pleased its not cancer and hope gorgeous Felicity can be sorted out and possibly passed as all clear by a decent vet  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 18:18:32 PM »
Thank you so much every one, I really value your opinion :hug: I have never been good with making the right decision when it comes to my cats and was charged ££££ when Phoebe was unwell, it was in and out of surgery every week and she was getting worse. I don't want Felicity to go through the same thing.

I went there at 4pm and he said its best if I leave Felicity there over night as he wants to operate on her tomorrow! I asked him why there were no x-ray taken and he said there is no need as x-ray only shows metal but not plastic or glass which I asked then what about a growth surely it shows that? Which he replied now you want to tell me my job :-: I said no but you said it could be pancreatic and cancer , no he said blood test shows no inflammation of pancreas.
He is adamant its a lump he feels in her bowel and needs surgery asap.
I told him I am not happy that she hasn't eaten for 2 days and don't think she should go through op and he replied she is not eating because she is NOT WELL, and not because she is stressed he said its me who is stressed and they deal with cats every day she is poorly and not eating.
I then asked why having the enema if he wasn't going to take x-ray ? He told me the reason for enema was to clear all the faeces and see what is in there.
So I asked him if she has the p how long has she to stay he said depends on op which I asked at this point how much this is going to cost ? He replied any thing from £600 + care and med depends if its only 15 min or 2 hours . I told him I am afraid am not in a position to pay such high bill and need time to sort my finances and he said well drop her tomorrow between 9 and 11 am and walked away and the nurse followed him and back in few min asking which insurer covers her and how much is the cover for? She then said its fine bring the form and we claim directly. I said but you have it on your wall that all fees to be paid and you don't deal with insurance she said no its fine in her case.
I walked out of there thinking I don't want Felicity to have an operation if its not needed, so we got home and I opened a pouch she wof down the food starving she then had second one and dry food.
Now I have the dilemma what if there is a lump in her bowl I don't wish to leave it un treated but I also don't want her suffer because they see her as money making .
I know I have to get a second opinion but who do I take her to? Can any one in London recommend a vet they trust please?
Sorry have to go , need to clean her as she is covered in poo  :(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 20:04:01 PM by pappilon »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 18:14:33 PM »
Very worried and hope no news is good news  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 15:45:30 PM »
Pav and Felicity  :hug:  I understand your concerns, your vet really doesn't sound as if he has a caring manner at all! I can't understand why they would insist on keeping Felicity there overnight if she was not on a drip and the surgery not manned. I would much rather have mine home with me under those circumstances.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 15:43:31 PM »
No the insurers should notquestion change of vet, mine didnt.

In any case if they did you have a valid reasons, vet not fully explain his actions, not doing what he said, keeping a very sick cat over night without any staff, b ad attitude and rude etc etc.

Sorry to disagree with Sue but I would not aske them just put in claim and say its ongoing. A secong opinion is also another reasom but what ever you do vet wise you need to do quick  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 14:39:25 PM »

Pav, I think what I would do now, if I were in your situation is to make a list of questions, and take it with m.

I would want to know:-

1.  Specifically, what steps have been taken since Felicity's admission, and the reason for the steps.
If no action taken, why not?  Felicity could have been recuperating at hme just as well and for less expenditure.
2.  Why no X-ray was taken when she'd been sedated anyway, and when the vet specifically said he thought he detected a lump
3.  What was the purpose of the 2nd enema.
4.  Why it was deemed necessary for her to have an overnight stay when the surgery is not manned and she was not on a drip.

I also would ask for an itemised breakdown of the bill, and DO NOT BE FOBBED OFF!   :hug: :hug:

I dont believe I'd be inclined to leaver there again tonight unless they can give you a very good reason for doing so, and one that you don't feel uneasy about.  I would perhaps also say that you feel you may need to seek a second opinion, and ask how quickly they will  release Felicity's records once the bill has been settled (hint - there should be no delay).

I would have a word with your Insurers and ask their opinion.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 14:32:56 PM »
Thank you Gill, I am going to .
He can be very rude, yesterday when I was asking if I could take her home and bring her back in the morning he said well she is poorly that's why she is here and just walked out of the room. He walk around in his shorts and slippers and doesn't look like a vet I know that's not the reason to judge some one but I doubt I get much explanation he most likely will not agree for her to come home and if I bring her then will be my responsibility. All I want to know if she has a growth or is it just upset tummy.
Do you think if I change vets the insurance would question why as I have to put this claim in?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 14:27:34 PM »
oh pav that is terrible, particulary as you didn't want her in overnight anyway - I cannot believe he didn't do the xray either, that is just stupid, I hope the next sedation they do will be free

Link to CatChat