Author Topic: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!  (Read 12163 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
 ;D ;D  Marley Pics!  Marley Pics!!   :wow:  Oooo thanks Noodle1 - what a lovely start to the day - not only because we can see our beautiful Marley Moo, but also to remember how very poorly he was, and how well he's recovered.   :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Marley Shiloh
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2014, 22:24:08 PM »
Thought you would all appreciate this just to really show Marley progress and anyone who may ever be in a similar position. This Marley when he was just out of the vets after nearly a week on a drip and after we were told there was a chance he may not pull through. The picture on the right is Marley now. You can he see how healthy and bright he looks now.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 16:10:55 PM »
No that will not work just spread the smell.

You so right about not using products wil ammonia.

I always for get whicj but think you need to use a non-biological washing powder/product  I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong.

There is also a product from pets at home than you can spray on after washing

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 15:41:19 PM »

You need an enzymatic type of cleaner - Zooplus or Pets at Home are good places to try - something like "Simple Solution." 

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2014, 14:58:49 PM »
I know not to use products with ammonia in. I am cautious if what to use as I don't want anything that would harm marley as he tends to kick anything and everything. We're also both vegans so we only use eco friendly products however these don't seem very effective and he does go back to the same place. I think I've made the mistake of using hot water and rubbing though eeek. I use a  vinegar/water solution for other stains do u think this would work?? And thank you slugsta that's very kind  :hug: :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2014, 14:46:24 PM »
He is gorgeous  ;D

You also need to make sure that you have removed the smell of where he has been, so much easier said than done!

You do know which products to use and not use dont you?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2014, 14:07:05 PM »

From the sounds of it, could well be a cat outside that's set this off.

You need to make sure he cant gain access to behind the TV first of all.  Somehow it's going to need to be blocked off for the time being.  I'd try putting a litter tray close to the door, under the window etc.    You could try putting a scratching post/climbing frame near the window - one where he can get quite high up to look out and down over "his" space. 

If that doesnt work, try putting the furniture back t how it was previously and see if that makes any difference.  Let us know how you get on.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2014, 14:00:13 PM »
Marley is growing into such a handsome young man, he is adorable!  :Luv2:  I'm so sorry that you have had family problems, I hope that things are as sorted as they can be. No ideas about the toileting, I'm afraid  :(

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2014, 13:48:59 PM »
Aww yeah :thanks: he is so handsome. The vet said she can't believe he is a rescue cat because he looks 'pedigree' to which I made sure I quickly corrected her that all rescue cats are just as beautiful as pedegree cats! I think we'd all agree   :) I am going to be heartbroken when I go back to work and I am not with him all the time, he is literally our baby! We love it when he has those mad moments of an evening and is just bouncing around and going mad! He is still so babyish thigh, he tumbles around and does forward rolls and often over estimates how far or high he can jump haha bless him and tumbles off things!  :rofl:

Erm occasionally it is right near the little tray and other times it's ranon places around the house such as behind the TV, in the two corners of the living room below the window and often in the corner of our front door. Our front door has frosted glass so you can only see out of it slightly.
I am thinking about what you have said and you could well be right as marley tends to sit in the window which faces out to our front garden so he may well have seen a neighbourhood cat, there are quite a few near us particularly a lovely ginger one who often lies in our garden! Could have got marley a little unsettled about his territory? And the other thing is we have just re-arranged our living room as we got some new bits for it (we only moved into our new house in march)

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
 ;D :wow: :wow:  Marley pics!! Marley pics!!!!   Thanks yooooou   :yesss:

Oh he is growing into just the most gorgeous young man.   Cant do that on a diet of lettuce and cucumber, now, can you?  ;)

Hmmmm.  Litter tray issues.  His weeing and pooing isn't confined the beside or near the litter tray, which might have suggested he knew where to go but didnt like the litter or the box.  Am wondering - where else is it he's toiletting?  Can you list the places, and say whether or not it's near a door or a window, or close to outside access?

Am wondering if he's picked up on a neighbourhood cat outside, and is worried about it, or if there's something inside the house which may have made him mark his territory - changes to furniture or the position of items in a room?

Does he just have the one tray?  A possible solution may be to give him extra trays, possibly two upstairs and two downstairs (clearly not if you live in a flat or in a bungalow - I misremember!)

Have to say again what a handsome boy Marley is.  Such a stunner.

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Thanks dawn f  :) we gave tried this but still no luck. It's not that he is pooping and peeing in the same spot in the house each time either it's different places. Anyone with any tips on litter training/re-introducing litter training would be fab!

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
Marley sleepy time with daddy (so funny) and one to show you how big and grown up he is getting! Not to mention handsome! Enjoy!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
he could be associating the pain of the bad tummy with the tray, might be worth changing litter?

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
Hello!!! From marley and mummy.

I am afraid mummy (me!) Needs to apologise, we've sadly had some sad news in our family recently-nothing to do with marley! And it's been a hard few weeks.

To top it off I've had no laptop as I had to give it back to work as it's summer hol then my phone decided to break but woohoo I have a new one! So update:

Marley is doing really really well! His tummy is all sorted now and he has been a brave boy and had all his vaccinations. He is getting bigger (and greedier) every day. He is a cheeky one now, constantly trying to see what we have for dinner and steal things off our plates! He's also developed a habitat of licking the kitchen floor as soon as anything drops! And I swear we feed him regularly!  😉😄

He's really come into his kitty personality. So loving and so playful...im loving the summer hols with him. He follows me around and we have lovely cuddles.

The only thing is since his bad tummy he has stopped using his litter tray :( he really just won't use it and is pooping and weeing anywhere he was so good before it! So in the process of re-training him now. Any tips?!

Hope you're all okay and can find it in your hearts to forgive me for my terrible lack if contact! Pics to follow!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:22:12 AM by Noodle1 »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2014, 20:07:15 PM »
Yes.  Me.  I do.  MARLEY!  MARLEY!!!

Sigh. Looks like I gotta waits.     :(

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2014, 19:54:15 PM »
Tsk.  Cant believe I'm on here once more begging for an update on Marley.  It just isn't good enuff.   :innocent:  Got any updates or even better - piccies for us please?   :naughty:

Oooh, someone needs their Marley fix  :naughty:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:58 AM »
Tsk.  Cant believe I'm on here once more begging for an update on Marley.  It just isn't good enuff.   :innocent:  Got any updates or even better - piccies for us please?   :naughty:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »
 :evillaugh:  He's clearly a Greeter cat - "Hiya!  Who are you?  Pleased ter meet'cha!"   ;D

Hopefully, if he's a good lad and takes his paste mixture, he wont have to have it for very long.   :)

I scarcely get a second glance from our two when I leave for work.  Daddy P is home with them all day, so he's the Man of the Moment in their lives.  (He has the happy task of trying to remove the many soldier's buttons from Moray's floofy coat this morning though - heh heh heh!)

This is the stuff I mean:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=132

Has little round sticky balls that come off into their coats.    :innocent:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »
Well, we had some friends to stay last night and he's been the entertainer showing off. He is so affectionate! He is not enjoying his special poo hardening paste he has to have haha bless him but he managed to make it to the litter tray last night to have a little poo so hopefully his upset tummy is a bit better :shy:

He is currently sleepimg in the washing basket little cutie! Sad his daddy has gone to work.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:33 AM »
Anyway.   :hug: :hug:

Enough of our sorrows, and lets focus on the beautiful Marley Shiloh   :Luv2:

What's he been up to overnight?  Great idea about a blog.   :) I just love reading some of the cat blogs that are out there.  Some of them are hilarious, and others just make you feel very smug that we're cat people  :evillaugh: 

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2014, 22:00:11 PM »
oh that's awful but you are a good person because you cared and didn't just drive off. There is a difference between accidentally hitting a cat and caring and being responsible then simply just hitting it and driving off and leaving to die or if he is already deadjust leaving his body there and his slaves not knowing where they are.

:)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 21:02:52 PM »

It still haunts me.

I can imagine!  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 20:53:06 PM »
I ran over and killed a cat once  :'(. It was utterly horrible! He came out of no-where and obviously his neck was broken. I was walking up and down the road, dead cat in my arms, sobbing fit to bust, knocking on doors to try and find his slaves. In the end, I took him to my vet (for scanning and disposal) and put posters up saying what had happened. Put my phone number on the posters but no-one ever rang...

Oh sweetheart, that's so awful.   :hug: :hug:   I had a similar experience, and broke my heart because I couldnt stop - it wasn't safe to do so - happened on a very busy slip road during the teatime rush hour.   It still haunts me.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 20:22:37 PM »
I ran over and killed a cat once  :'(. It was utterly horrible! He came out of no-where and obviously his neck was broken. I was walking up and down the road, dead cat in my arms, sobbing fit to bust, knocking on doors to try and find his slaves. In the end, I took him to my vet (for scanning and disposal) and put posters up saying what had happened. Put my phone number on the posters but no-one ever rang...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 15:31:49 PM »

Aw bless him - am not surprised your vets love him too, after everything he's been through.  Hopefully that should get his tummy sorted out again in no time, and he'll firm up in the poo department.   :)

They do give cause for worry and joy in equal measure - I remember when Mac was a kitten and he fell through our banister from the upstairs - luckily, our sofa is directly beneath and it broke his fall, but God my heart turned somersaults.   :doh: :doh:

I think it's such a sensible idea to keep him as a house cat.  We've lost two of our own cats in the last 2 years to road accidents, and it left us shattered.  A neighbour's cat was knocked down and killed last month, and even that left us beeft, as we were the ones who had to break the news to them and return his body home.  It's hideous that people do just drive off, but sadly they do.  We were fortunate that passers-by stopped and found both of ours, so we were able to bring them home.

I bless those people for the care they showed.   So , fully understand the big rant.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 15:05:38 PM »
Haha he jumps up on computer and over keys already...he's well on his way to using the computer  ;) haha. We did think about setting a blog up for him! Well it is summer holidays now, so time for lots of marley pics. I am soooo excited to have every day all day with him now wooohooo. We had a lovely lie in and cuddles this morning  :)

Vets was fine, he has to have some special food for his little tum tum and a special paste 3 times a day to try and harden his poo; nothing to worry about she said probably something he has licked or chewed that didn't agree with his little tummy. Poor Marley is a regular at our vets now they love him!

When my boyfriend gets in tonight i'll send a pic over (I am pretty useless with technology and for some reason when I try and send a pic from my phone to here it always says it's too large so my boyfriend re-sizes them for me! haha)

But yeah he is getting bigger. He is climbing on everything and giving me palpitations! I know cats climb and things but he really is my baby and I worry about him falling or hurting himself, I've had cats before and know how agile they are but still doesn't stop me worrying when he is on top of the wardbrobe! Terrified about windows too....we are keeping Marley as an indoor kitty as we live on a very busy estate where cars bom down so quickly! A couple of months back I was setting off to work and found a cat on our road which had been hit by a car and just left on the pavement I was utterly devastated and disgusted; who doesn't stop to get the cat some help or move him/her after all that is a little life and someone's baby! So we just don't want that for Marley, as unfortunately I am not sure we live around like minded people as ourselves who would look out for cats!  (sorry big rant and totally off topic)

Hope everybody else's feline friends are good  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2014, 13:59:01 PM »
 :hug:  Yuss - a whole 10 days.  Wivowt Marley news and Marley pics and Marley updates.  Like a desert with tumbleweed.........

And am sorry, but being a primary school teacher is an unfortunate side effect of having to go out and provide for wee Marley babes but nowhere near a good enough excuse for not letting us know how he's getting on  (though I empathise with the sleep deprivation bit - I was snoring yesterday evening at 6.40 p.m. to 7.50 p.m.  :evillaugh:)

Dont apologise for typos - my "triping" is legendary, and when I have to use a Kindle or my phone it descends into pure farce.

Bigger - he's getting bigger everybuddy!   :wow:  Hope that his vet visit goes well, and his upset tum settles down too.  If he's teething that sometimes gives them a bit of tummy trouble too but it shouldnt last long.

Big Hi to you Marley - make sure your Mum remembers to let you onna pooter, so's we knows how you're getting on and all of that.  You just wait until you can pooter on your own, eh?  Then you'll be able to post piccies of yourself, and have a Twitter feed and stuff.   ;)   

:M: :A: :R: :L: :E: :Y:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2014, 13:48:40 PM »
eeek is it that long?! I am so sorry! was thinking about posting yesterday actually but was so tored! I am a primary school teacher and its been the last week of term so been super busy and hectic! not had a minute! and fell asleeo as soon as back from work yesterday!

Marley is good, getting big and jumping on everything and anything plus we think he's teething he'a chewing wverything bless him I am literally just about to take him to his next set of vaccinations now, though he has haf a bit of a funny tummy yestefay and today so we'll see what vet says!

p.s i am on ky smartphone so apologies for any terrible spellings haha hard to type!

:)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 13:20:02 PM »

:shify:   Bin a while since we had a Marley update.  Ten days, to be precise.  Tsk!   

:omg: :gpoint: :waiting:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »

Thank you - it will be lovely to watch Marley mature into an adult cat.  He has bags of character already, and is sure to double your joy as he grows.   ;D

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2014, 22:33:40 PM »
haha Marley is a very clever little kitten indeed ;) we couldn't stop laughing at this little photo, Marley's very funny cool dude pose kind of sold itself for something like this!

I will continue to update with any news and piccies on how he is doing. Has been a joy finding purrs  :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2014, 21:50:29 PM »
Marley's obviously a very clever lad, I don't expect his Daddy did much really  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2014, 18:32:55 PM »
 ;D ;D  Isn't that just wonderful?   :wow:  Thank you Marley (and Marley's Dad too of course)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2014, 15:55:45 PM »
So kind and thank you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2014, 15:33:45 PM »
Awwww  :thankyou:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
A little something Marley's Dad made for everyone!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2014, 21:39:48 PM »
That is such good news, thanks for letting us know  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2014, 19:51:24 PM »
What a wonderful result  ;D ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 15:22:02 PM »
that is good news, its always good to hear a story with a happy ending

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 15:18:46 PM »

What, no Marley piccies to accompany this wonderful news?   We need our Marley fix.  I demand humbly request, Marley pics. 

Pleeeeeze???   :naughty: :naughty: :pic:

Seriously, that is such good news.  Please give him lots of slow blinks and kitty kisses back from his Aunties  and tell him we're very proud of him too!   :Luv:

Gotta say, that I dont doubt his recovery owes an enormous amount to the love and the care you've given Marley since he was lucky enough to find his paws under your table.   :hug:

Link to CatChat