Author Topic: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!  (Read 12165 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: My Kitten has cowpox :( Any help or advice?!
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2014, 14:24:21 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
Fantastic news!

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Marley Shiloh
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 14:17:57 PM »
hi everyone, just thought I would update you on Marley's recovery.  We had his final follow up appointment yesterday and he has now finished his antibiotics. He has put on weight and his pox and scabs free! and he was well enough to have his first lot of vaccinations too. We are so happy and proud of our little man. He has grown lots over the last few weeks as well. he sends lots of kitty kisses x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 19:48:47 PM »
Oh my!  :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »
 :wow:  New Marley piccie!!!    :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:   Cor, he's so kissable!    :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 22:00:14 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 21:41:14 PM »
He's beautiful  :Luv2:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 21:27:19 PM »
 :)

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 21:23:59 PM »
Yeah you're exactly right about the cowpox thing, so little marley will vr okay if there is a smallpox outbreak as he will now have an immunity haha.

So anyway guys, thought I'd share a recent pic of marley. He's doing so well. He was at bets today but a follow up and they said he's made huge progress, he is going to continue with 5 more days of antibiotics and then should be okay. He's so full of energy. Scabs are very itchy though as they are falling off though bless him.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2014, 00:54:55 AM »
From my vague memory of long ago human biology lessons, I remember than Jenner (?) discovered that milkmaid's who caught cowpox from cows didn't go on to develop smallpox, which is how he developed one of the first vaccines. So the major source of cowpox would be cows.
From this, I would imagine that cowpox is more common in farm cats than town ferals or domestics and it does sound like Marley may have a farm cat origin. I wouldn't be surprised if generations of farm cats build up some kind of natural immunity which has helped him to recover.

He's come through an awful lot. I'm sure you're giving him plenty of hugs. You may want to discuss with your vet or gp whether you need any vaccinations yourselves.  :hug: :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2014, 23:10:30 PM »
I am so glad Marley is doing well, fingers crossed he will continue to improve.

He will forgive you for giving him the antibiotics  >:(
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 22:46:39 PM »
Haha aww love it!  :thanks: I will show Marley!  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:19 AM »
:M: :A: :R: :L: :E: :Y: .........

Just for you........    ;)

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 23:32:57 PM »
Thanks fluffybunny  :thanks:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2014, 21:07:40 PM »
It really is so similar to chicken pox, it's literally like when a child starts chicken pox they have one then in no time end up with loads!  I feel like he is my child, I wish I could put little mittens on his paws to stop him itching  ;) Poor Marley moo. Yeah really hoping all continues in the same direction and like Sue P said that we look back on and say how thankful we are.

We just gave him tonights antibiotics, he hates it so much! But all for his own good. He's currently sat on my knee watching the little emotion icons on purs move haha!!  :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 20:48:57 PM »
Bless him, so glad that he seems to be on the mend - fingers crossed that everything continues in the right direction!  I guess it is like chickenpox, it's only the difference between a chicken and a cow, after all - they're probably very related illnesses. 

Everything crossed for the little one - he's gorgeous!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 20:01:54 PM »

Funny, but I was thinking that too - is probably just due to the course of the illness, bless him.  It does seem remarkably like chicken pox, even down t the blister like lesions.

Am so glad he's thriving at home though - it's no real surprise, and I hope that before too long you'll be looking back on all of this and just giving thanks that it's all behind you, and Marley is going from strength to strength.   :)

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 18:22:17 PM »
Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that. Could be the reason as he did have spots in his mouth... The vets had to wear special protective clothing during the early days of the infection but now that he has been on antibiotcs for almost a week it's okay to handle him without. We just have to really practice extra safe hygenie. We can't have him too close to our faces at the moment or give him his kisses yet though :( Humans can get it yes! I am a primary school teacher as well so I have be a little extra cautious. Though it is rare for humans to have it and is more likely for elderly people, very young children or those with weak immune systems to get it...and then that is usually if you have direct contacted with infected lesions and/or you have an open wound.

Thanks for the well wishes...I'll post some more piccies soon. He is really developing a lovely personality and sp funny! It's so nice to see him so active after being so poorly.  ;D

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 17:43:21 PM »
I've been following Marley's story and am glad to hear he is home and doing well.
It does sound a bit like Chickenpox in kids and it can be miserable for them. I have heard of spots in the throat so maybe he has one that is making him cough? Lets hope it all clears up soon. Do you have to take special precations when handling him noodle or is normal hygine OK. Can humans even get it?
Wishing the handsome boy all the best for a speedy recovery :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 17:17:26 PM »
Yes Gill, I am sure he doesn't either  :)

Aww Sue P, he is really good thank you; bouncing around, chasing his tail and playing. He is eating and seems really bright and active and enjoying lots of cuddles and attention so we're really happy. His scabs are still very apparent and we keep getting paranoid that we've found new spots but I think they're just more obvious as they are drying out and scabbing and probably more itchy like when we get scabs. He has been occasionally making like a cough/wretching type noise but with nothing coming out which is a little worrying...it's like my older cat Muffin when she has hair balls or has eaten too fast but Marley is doing it quite randomly but then goes back to being completley normal. I wonder if I am just being over cautious.

Other than than, just loving having him home with us again  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 15:23:41 PM »
Thank you Noodle and am sure sasa doesnt have it as its just this one spot  which appeared a dew months ago.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »
If you can get him to take it, bee propolis is good for cat's immune systems. The trouble is that it smells quite strongly of honey even if it's crushed and in their food (or webbox paste) mine won't go near it. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »

How is the lovely Marley this morning?  Bet he's loving being home with you both again.   :wow:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 23:54:48 PM »
From our experiences with Marley and from the research I did it starts on head/face and then spots/lesions appear on their tail, legs and paws and mouth and ears (usually as little ulcers) That is what happened with Marley, it started with only one and then literally within half a day/day he had more 8 just on his face!

It is very rare and found in wild animals or avid hunting cats. We rescued Marley, he was part of a litter who had been abandoned on a farm. Their mother is wild so we think Marley's mum might have had cowpox and passed to Marley or that in Marley's early weeks he was bitten by an infected mouse/rat. So your little lady is probably fine...but you could always get him checked out.  It is treatable and in adult cats it's a very good prognosis    :)

I hope I haven't scared you as like I said it's very rare and it could be something far more innocent especially as it's just one.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2014, 21:55:44 PM »
I hope your Sasa is alright Gill (sneakiefeline). Cowpox is very rare and though I have no real expertese other then my experiences with Marley I don't think it comes and goes and it's multiple spots rather than one....I'd say just watch out for any others. Is Sasa a kitten or adult cat?  ;D

She is a semi feral adult about 16yrs old.

She is a calico tortie amd mostly white so any others should show up easily............does it only appear on the head or all body?

Its a very strange spot tbh

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 21:45:03 PM »
Ahhhhh he's so tiny and cute .... bless him.  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 20:26:31 PM »
I hope your Sasa is alright Gill (sneakiefeline). Cowpox is very rare and though I have no real expertese other then my experiences with Marley I don't think it comes and goes and it's multiple spots rather than one....I'd say just watch out for any others. Is Sasa a kitten or adult cat?  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
he is  :Luv:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 21:46:39 PM »

No, definitely not too big - it's perfect!   :)

I agree!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 21:37:33 PM »
This is the right bplace for the post especially as it has a good title.

Sasa has one little spot below her lip on one side that seems to come and go . more come than go.

She dribbles a lot cos only has two teeth, have been watching it for a while

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 21:15:47 PM »
If anyone is interested or in a similiar situation (maybe in the future as well) this is my little baby Marley showing his poor sores on his face from cowpox. These are 100 times better than they were not they have been treated by our vet but it's just to show people what cowpox sores can look like (though, of course every cat and kitten is different).

Marley started with one small sore on his ear, that looked very much like he had caught it with his claw. The sores/lesions that followed came very quickly; literally within a day. He had sores on his face, ears, paws, base of his tail and in his mouth (like little ulcers) Marley also had rapid breathing, a temperature and was very sleepy. His breathing was due to his high temperature, though can be a sign that the infection has spread to lungs-so if you ever find similar lesions please get your cat/kitten checked out straight away. Cowpox IS treatable and cats can make a full recorvery but kittens can be a different matter so always be aware.

Updates on Marleys  heopfully successful recorvery  to follow (if anyone knows of a better place for this post to go on purs to help people in the future please let me know or move it for me-I am new to purs!)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 21:01:27 PM »

No, definitely not too big - it's perfect!   :)

Your Mum clearly has excellent taste (she says, reeling from the fact someone else has just confessed to not knowing who Paul Newman was, making me feel ver' ver' old!)

You and your boyfriend are clearly a very special couple.   :hug: :hug: Purrs seems to attract special people for some reason.  I put it down to the cats.   :Luv:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 20:57:40 PM »
Aww Sue P, you are too lovely thank you so much  :hug: that is lovely to hear. My boyfriend made my little signature thing at the bottom of my posts he is a graphic designer  ;) not sure if it's a little big but I think you can tell Marley is our world! We've both grown up with animals and always wanted to resuce animals in need..hopefully when Marley is all better and older we will look at giving more animals in need a home  :Luv2:

Also I didn't even think of that song but how strange as my mum adores Neil Diamond! haha we chose Shiloh as his middle name as it means 'peace'  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 20:49:33 PM »
How gorgeous is he  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 20:42:50 PM »

That's such a really good idea.  I'm sure others will benefit from knowing how Marley's treatment and progress is made.

And I love the montage at the foot of your last post.  Beautiful.   :Luv: :grouphug:

I love the name Shiloh - reminds me of the Neil Diamond song (albeit spelt differently...)

"Shilo"

Young child with dreams
Dream every dream on your own
When children play,
Seems like you end up alone
Papa says he'd love to be with you
If he had the time
So you turn to the only friend you can find
There in your mind

Shilo when I was young,
I used to call your name
When no one else would come,
Shilo you always came and we'd play

Young girl with fire,
Something said she understood
I wanted to fly
She made me feel like I could

You and your lovely feller have given Marley Shiloh the chance to fly.   :Luv:   :hug:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 20:36:43 PM »
Haha aww thank you. He had quite a fan club at the vets too. :) I am going to upload a photo soon of Marley's spots, so that in the future if their is any one else who has a cat with cowpox they can hopefully find this as we couldn't find much at all to help us out.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 19:17:13 PM »
 :wow: :wow: Ooo look at him!!!   He's just gorgeous!  What a little darling.  :Luv:  so pleased he's home.  I think Marley will have himself a right old fan club on here, I do.  ;)  Welcome home baby - I'll bet you'll all sleep better tonight for being together.   :Luv:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 19:08:24 PM »
Oooh he is lovely. Fantastic news that he is back home.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 19:05:53 PM »
Great news - he is absolutely gorgeous

:welcome:  to the forum 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 19:02:29 PM »
Bless him, he is soooo ickle  :Luv2:

Offline Noodle1

• Kitten
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 19:00:15 PM »
He is home!!!  ;D We are so unbelievably happy! As much as I hate to say it, we really did think we'd loose him as the original prognosis was not great.
Anyway, we just hope he continues to make progress and stay well. We are very lucky...I thought you'd all like to see a picture of him...

Here is Marley having kisses with Daddy and one on his own, as you can see he still has the marks from the cowpox but they are a huge improvement to how they were a few days ago and he is still a cutie!  :Luv2: He is sending lots love and thanks to you all for his well wishes and we will continue to keep you all updated on Marley's progress and road to recorvery  :)

Link to CatChat