Author Topic: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures  (Read 87853 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #809 on: July 31, 2013, 17:01:20 PM »
Thank you for worrying about me Helen, most appreciated  :hug:

Will Riley need all these tablets for life or just the anti seizure ones?

I know that Zoes cat Ollie was really really spaced out on phenabarb and a big doseage but I think it took about six weeks before he became back to normal. Ollie is just epileptic.

So pleased you have loads of options for the pills...................good luck  :evillaugh:

Riley looks as good as usual but with a new hair cut   ;D

Hoping everything continiues well and Lu and Riley come back together soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #808 on: July 31, 2013, 14:30:52 PM »
I'm so glad that Riley is on the mend! He's still a beautiful boy, even with his shaved bits!  :Luv:

Lots of love, hugs and kisses from me and loads of furry headbutts and snoozling from Lucky.  :hug:
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #807 on: July 31, 2013, 14:15:59 PM »
you can get the really small tins, I'd only leave it a couple of days

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #806 on: July 31, 2013, 14:07:41 PM »
I'm not sure I could bear to have it in the house  :evillaugh:

Q for tuna eaters... On a similar note, I despise tuna (for a few reasons  :sick: ) - I used to use it for Tiggy's tablets on occasion but it's been ages since I had any in the house, roughly how long will it keep in the fridge (in a sealed tupperware pot)?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #805 on: July 31, 2013, 14:06:26 PM »
yes amber too!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #804 on: July 31, 2013, 14:04:03 PM »
marmite mixed into a blob of butter is Tiffany's idea of kitty heaven
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #803 on: July 31, 2013, 13:12:56 PM »
good that you have options!  hopefully he will always go for something on the list, Amber loves marmite as well!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #802 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:56 AM »

So pleased you've got a number of tricks to try Helen, but also hoping that you wont need to resort to any of them except occasionally.

With coconut oil, it solidifies if kept in the fridge, so it might be possible to pop a pill into a little semi solid oil methinks.  But you'd have to be fairly deft and swift before the oil melted, which it tends to on contact with body heart. 

Anyways, sending Riley lots of loving and soothing vibes and hoping everything continues to progress well and steadily for our very brave little sodja.  xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #801 on: July 30, 2013, 20:51:05 PM »
A slightly out of the box suggestion but how about coconut oil? Yes I know it sounds daft but bear with me.

I use coconut oil as a body moisturiser and recently Jaffa was hanging around when I was using it. He started licking the jar and even tried to lick it off my legs. After checking that coconut oil is safe for cats I started giving him some every time I use it. He's become a little obsessed to tell the truth. I gave Mosi some and he likes it too. I've since found out that it seems quite popular with cats. It's thick and gooey but melts very quickly (so could be messy!). You couldn't hide a pill completely but it would certainly slip down easily.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #800 on: July 30, 2013, 19:50:11 PM »
Marmite  :what: What self respecting cat would eat marmite -  :yuk: Can you tell I HATE Marmite?  :naughty:
[/color]

My Bonnie loves marmite  :rofl:

She was watching me eat marmite crisps ages ago and holding one out to her, so she could smell it, I said "Bonnie, you won't like these darling"

But she licked it over and over again.  So the next time I had marmite on toast I held it out and she ate that too.  :evillaugh:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #799 on: July 30, 2013, 19:22:49 PM »
Well the babybel were for me but he can share! After my suspicious 'treat squeezing' activity at Jollyes I was busy squeezing in the cheese aisle at Asda!  :shify: He's still very much out of sorts but having an arsenal of tablet giving tricks has made me relax a bit as it's sooooo important that he gets the medication on time - plus I'm going to have to start coming home from work on my break to give him the tablets and only have a limited time to get back so I need him to be good :wish:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #798 on: July 30, 2013, 19:19:15 PM »
So pleased he is doing much better.

Question??? Did you buy any food for yourself? Or do you have what RIley doesn't want?lol

Take care of yourself as well as your boys.

Nicky x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #797 on: July 30, 2013, 19:04:35 PM »
The Asda treat sticks (lamb) were a hit! Didn't even have to mix in any temptations  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #796 on: July 30, 2013, 18:36:40 PM »
 :thanks: for all the tablet suggestions. Just been shopping and now have:

Sardines in tomato sauce
Tuna
Cheddar cheese
Cathedral city spreadable cheese
Burger cheese slices
Laughing cow triangles
Babybel
Asda stick treats
Webbox treat stick bumper pack (4 different flavours)
Prawns
Pate
Extra thick cream

Was planning on freezing the cream into ice cube trays to pull out a blob if needed, plus the prawns are already frozen. Every thing else should last a fair while in the fridge as I'm hoping to have to use the methods above on the odd occasion only if I can get him to take them in the Natures Menu treats as he's been doing so far.

They didn't have any of the wafer thin ham I used to use for Tiggy (Bernard Matthews, way better for tablet giving than any other make) so that's another possible.

It's a shame vets don't come up with a covering for medication. Maybe they could get together with someone like Dreamies and try to create something that really covers the taste and cats would eat.  :)

I know, I thought the exact same - hollow dreamies or tempatations would be ideal. At the moment I'm putting down a few temptations then slipping the treat with tablet in onto the pile. In America they have compounding pharmacies that can make any drug beef or chicken flavour, they can even make them into gels you rub into the ear, plus they sell greenies pill pockets (have some on order) which get very good reviews.

Maybe this is something you could practise on Lu (sorry Lu) so you have the technique for when Riley is playing up? (maybe give him a dreamy instead of a pill)
Sending good strong healing vibes for you all!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Poor Lu!  :evillaugh: He's actually much easier to 'force' tablets into as the poor lamb just freezes in terror  :shy: Riley thrashes and writhes and it's the front legs coming up that I find hard to control.

I had capsules for Mouse a few weeks ago and opened them and put them in her food, just a few teaspoonful so she got all of the medication. I had no problem at all with her eating it, if Riley likes cheese or marmite try putting a tiny bit in with it too.

Marmite  :what: What self respecting cat would eat marmite -  :yuk: Can you tell I HATE Marmite?  :naughty:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 19:13:06 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #795 on: July 30, 2013, 15:43:21 PM »
He's as handsome as always. :)

Great stuff Helen. Long may the improvements and return to normality continue. :) :hug:

(We use Pet Remedy diffusers too. :))

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #794 on: July 30, 2013, 13:52:57 PM »
No time to read at mo but sending loads of good pill days  :hug: :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #793 on: July 30, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Helen having 2 cats who are pilled every day for Hyper T one domestic my darling max and Miss Clio feral I have now resorted to the following

Clio as she is on a liquid diet doe to having her teeth out and her gims still being iffy so no pill popper useage I now crush her tablets in her tea not the best way for a Hyper T but so much easier all round

For Max I have used Webbox, Tesco Kitsticks they come in 4 flavours and are easy to wrap round a pill and the other bits could be given to Lu so they both think they are getting a treat.  Smioed salmon extra thin from M & S likewise Turkey, ham and chicken all  & S, Pate of most sorts, sandwich paste, Tubes of squeezy cheese, pill pockets, tuna in brine with brine well squeezed out and raw mince - steak of course and bacon just cooked and last nights way of taking his pills for Max - extra thick M & S double cream - not the best thing but he ate them all and was happy I try to avoid using the pill popper as sometimes when they saw me open the drawer they would run and hide and be stressed out which is not good all round  for any of us and especially not in your Riley's case
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Yet another pill tip in case you need one.
Although there are 2 of us at home, my fiance is a baker so morning pill time there is only ever one of us here (me) and it can be quite difficult getting my lot to take their pills. Ginger in particular has decided she is no longer fooled by her fortekor being hidden by food and she can be particularly wiggly. My technique is to kneel on the floor, grab her, push her so her bum is between my legs (so she can't wiggle backwards) then grab her mouth, shove the pill in and voila. It sounds quite rough but it isn't and it takes me about 30 seconds now, if that and doesn't stress them out. (Benji is a 2 person job, as the second anything touches his gums he loses it, understandably as they are so sore). I find because they are hugged into your body they don't wiggle so much, Ginger does get a cuddle afterwards (she is not very food oriented). Maybe this is something you could practise on Lu (sorry Lu) so you have the technique for when Riley is playing up? (maybe give him a dreamy instead of a pill)
Sending good strong healing vibes for you all!  :hug: :hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #791 on: July 29, 2013, 23:08:16 PM »
I'm so pleased that Riley is progressing well Helen but that certainly sounds like an onerous medication regimen.   :hug: :hug: :hug:  I suspect you will need to become expert at several of the methods already suggested so that if he gets difficult with one you can use another.  Good luck. 
Still sending lots of positive vibes for the lad and his family.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #790 on: July 29, 2013, 22:56:58 PM »
How about grinding the pill and mixing it with lick-e-licks, then sucking it up in a syringe? I find getting syringed liquidised stuff easier by miles to get inside the cat.  :shy:
I know you said Riley isn't a fan of lick-e-licks but do try them again - I think they've changed the recipe cos my lot hated them at first but now pull them out of the treat drawer (yes, we have a whole drawer for treats here  :-[ ) for me to open for them.  :drool;

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #789 on: July 29, 2013, 22:20:56 PM »
Sending some gentle hugs for Riley and you Helen :hug: :hug:
How about raw meat some thing like ck breast or steak that is if he likes raw treats or fresh prawn.
Just a thought what if Riley sees you giving treats to Lu that might make him wanting the treats for himself like a game that is when Lu is more settled to be in the same room. :-:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #788 on: July 29, 2013, 22:20:17 PM »
I have a prob pulling my two so I tend to try and pop them in stinky bit of fish or something wen tried to squeeze in a dreamie lol

One day at a time hun and soon as ya know he will be back xxxxxx

Sending more hugs and live over xx

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #787 on: July 29, 2013, 20:49:29 PM »
My friends use the pill gun to dose their cats. It is certainly easier, but how easy depends entirely on the cat concerned!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #786 on: July 29, 2013, 19:33:57 PM »
Does Riley like Sardines in tomato sauce?  I have found that most pills that can be crushed up are always eaten if hidden in sardines.

The only trouble with hiding pills in food is if he doesn't est the whole portion you have no idea how much or how little of the table he has taken.

Your can buy pills pockets on amazon:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/pill-pockets-cats/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=pill%20pockets%20for%20cats&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apill%20pockets%20for%20cats

Another idea for disguising pills is a bit of raw sausage meat ... it's pliable so can be moulded round the pill  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #785 on: July 29, 2013, 18:30:56 PM »
Everyone has their own way of giving tablets and some people are luckier than others.

I have to give Bonnie a blood pressure tablet every night and I put it in the middle of her food and she just eats it - no probs.  I don't empty the full packet in her bowl like I do at other times in the day, I just put a bit in and make sure she's not eaten around it and then empty the rest of the packet.

I was browsing on a new website the other day and noticed something at the time I thought I had no use for but maybe it would be ok for you Helen, you never know:

http://www.personalised-pet-products.co.uk/mikki-pill-gun-dispenser-6211-101?filter_name=pill

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #784 on: July 29, 2013, 18:01:37 PM »
I had capsules for Mouse a few weeks ago and opened them and put them in her food, just a few teaspoonful so she got all of the medication. I had no problem at all with her eating it, if Riley likes cheese or marmite try putting a tiny bit in with it too.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #783 on: July 29, 2013, 16:35:26 PM »
It's a shame vets don't come up with a covering for medication. Maybe they could get together with someone like Dreamies and try to create something that really covers the taste and cats would eat.  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2013, 14:53:13 PM »
Are any of the tablets suitable for crushing up and adding to food or do they have to be swallowed whole?

Funnily enough I asked the vet the same thing this morning and it's OK for all of them to be crushed - I've never tried this on cats though, surely their whole bowl  of food smelling of nasty tablets would put them off eating it?!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2013, 14:35:22 PM »
The difficulty is that they get to know what's happening and run and hide when it's due.  I've never had to give Jaffa tablets or eye drops for more than a week or so at a time and I've always gone for the shove it down the throat followed by a treat option.  But after a few days he cottons on and makes himself scarce.  I would struggle to do that long term with him.

Are any of the tablets suitable for crushing up and adding to food or do they have to be swallowed whole?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2013, 14:20:26 PM »

I think there you have it Helen -  it's not just trying to hold him, but making sure he doesn't get stressed out by the whole prcedure int he process.   :hug: :hug:  the treat method would seem to be preferable provided he continues to take them that way.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2013, 14:03:43 PM »
it might be better, given that he is on medication for life, to get him used to having the pills adminstered directly, followed by a treat

at least that way you can get the pills down him even if he is off his food - but you need to start while he is still very food/treat orientated

Yes, I thought that too Kay - especially as the medication times are so crucial.  The only snag with that is that even the vet and nurses had a job trying to give them to him manually, they resorted to tuna and the likes too! If there was somebody else at home it might make it easier but it makes it much harder trying to do it with nobody to hold him. I'm still going to ask the vet for tips when we go on Thursday because there might be something I've been missing all these years!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #778 on: July 29, 2013, 13:52:02 PM »
it might be better, given that he is on medication for life, to get him used to having the pills adminstered directly, followed by a treat

at least that way you can get the pills down him even if he is off his food - but you need to start while he is still very food/treat orientated
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #777 on: July 29, 2013, 13:49:49 PM »

Sympathies Helen.  I remember trying to give Paddy his Felimazole (which are tiny) - what a palaver.  He resisted all attempts, and could sniff them out in any form of treat we tried to use as a bribe.  I would forever be fining half dissolved tablets clumps behind items of furniture or behidn the dining room table.     :shify:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #776 on: July 29, 2013, 13:45:46 PM »
Thanks ladies  :hug:

Might be worth looking into various options for hiding the meds so that you have something else ready in case he decides not to eat the natures menu treats!

That's started already  :tired: He'll sometimes eat it willingly but other times has to be cajoled into it and others just isn't interested in them. I've tried tinned chicken breast ( :sick:) - not interested, tuna - passable but as he licks the 'blob' it breaks open and exposes the tablet, salmon paste ( :sick:) - not interested. I've resorted to trying to cut the top off a Whiskas temptation and poke the tablet in the small hole and hope it sticks!

I've ordered some greenies pill pockets from the US and if they're as good as the reviews suggest will need to stock up. Also on my shopping list is cheese, pate, prawns, chicken webbox and wafer thin ham. I also checked with the vet this morning and there's no problem with grinding the tablets so I could add them to cream for him to lick off. Thankfully he's quite food orientated so fingers crossed between those options I will be able to reliably dose the meds, it's such a worry as it's sooooo important he doesn't miss a dose or even be a few hours late as there is a very high chance he will have a seizure  :scared: I think I'll ask the vet on Thursday for tablet giving tips the manual way too just in case.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2013, 13:34:45 PM »
Good news that he's remaining twitch and seizure free. 

it will take a while to get the meds all sorted - it may be that as time goes on some of the doseage can be reduced but if not he will probably get used to them and start to feel better.  He might be able to maintain good health on a lower doseage than he required to stop the seizures.  It is still very early days, as Sue says.

Fingers crossed things go ok between him and Lu.

Might be worth looking into various options for hiding the meds so that you have something else ready in case he decides not to eat the natures menu treats!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #774 on: July 29, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
speaking as a human on these type of meds they do space you out for a while but that does go away, I slept almost constantly for the first couple of weeks!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #773 on: July 29, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »

Helen, fingers well and truly crossed here.

I think the thing to remember is, that it's still early days in Riley's recovery, and the meds by their nature, work to keep everything as calm as possible.  Riley's been through a major episode in his life and he's still very much coming to terms with what's happened to him.  After Paddy's stroke, it took a number of months for him to adjust to all of the changes in his health, but he came through, and I'm convinced Riley will too.  He needs time.   :hug: :hug:  And I know you'll give that to him by the shedload, but I also understand - I think all of us do - your desire to have Riley back to his old rumbunctuous self as soon as possible.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #772 on: July 29, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
 :thanks: all  :hug:

I guess the main thing is there's been no seizures, or any twitches that I've seen, but now I'm worrying about how the medications he's on are affecting him  :shy: He's very sedate, a bit 'vague' and spaced out. I know these are a side effect of the anti-seizure medications but I'm hoping they'll lessen as time goes on as he's more like an old man than the 6kg kitten that he used to be - rocket-ing around the house, springing up doorframes and just generally making his presence known.

He has a blood test on Thursday to check that one particular medication has reached it's 'steady state' and I guess if that's higher than it should be that would be causing the extra-sedateness. The worry there is that it's only since this medication was increased on the 16th that he's been seizure free so if the level is high and they want to reduce it there's a whole other worry that if it's reduced back to what it was the seizures will start again  :scared:

He's being a bit picky with his tablets too which is making me anxious... four times a day! Aaargh!

Lu is still being a bit hissy (have had them in the same room for a few minutes each day, with Lu on the bed and Riley on the floor) but I want them to get back together so the house is now 'open' - fingers crossed!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »
Sending over tons of snooogles and cuggles for you all. Hope Riles is ok hun  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
bless him, he does look pretty relaxed though - hope you are getting a bit more chilled yourself  :hug:

Link to CatChat