Author Topic: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures  (Read 87838 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2013, 14:52:13 PM »
Helen, this is exactly the news we all needed to hear on a Friday afternoon. 

Seconded, good to hear he is on his way to recovery  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #288 on: July 12, 2013, 14:46:45 PM »
Helen, this is exactly the news we all needed to hear on a Friday afternoon. Yes of course he's still a poorly boy and as long as he's still in hospital will keep sending our most fervent Famour Purrs Vibes to him.  :hug: :hug: I think you may sleep a little easier tonight having seen him responding to you.  :hug: :hug:

Poor doggie.  Sending some vibes to him also.  :hug: :hug:

I just discovered that although most of my cats used to turn their noses up, they've now decided they LOVE lick-e-licks from webbox. As it's a liquid treat I wonder if young Riley might actually enjoy them better than Dreamies  - uh oh small creature approaches... push shove...

Wot did she sey Riley! Bettur Dan Dweemees! C'mon ole fwend, its bin ded wurreein. Seewyusslee :shy:  Sly da sly :clap:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #287 on: July 12, 2013, 14:41:06 PM »
So pleased the news is more positive Helen.  :)   Well done Riley, you keep up the good work - you're still getting unlimited positive vibes.  :hug: :hug: :hug:  Biggles says don't let that Ross fool you into eating a shrew.   He says they're OK for hunting and playing with but do NOT eat cos they taste really nasty and you'd be much better off with a vole.  :shify:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #286 on: July 12, 2013, 14:24:54 PM »
 :) Great news! He's been such a brave lad, I hope things continue to improve for him and he's home with you soon snuggles and kissies being sent his way  :hug: xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #285 on: July 12, 2013, 14:21:17 PM »

This is sonding really positive Helen, and so glad the visit went well.  And if he's managed a small amount of Dreamies, well things are really looking up.   :wow:

Still topping up the vibes, and Ross wants to know if'n purr'aps Riley would like a shrew, cos he cud catch 'im wun, if'n it would help?  I did try to dissuade him on grounds of hygiene, and the fact Riley is likely to need more tender morsels, but I'm assured that shrews is awfully morselly......  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2013, 14:20:09 PM »
a lovely update glad he is eating a bit as well, not what you expected on your week off I'm sure  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2013, 14:11:36 PM »
Visit went well  :) He is still very poorly and will obviously be feeling sore but he was a different cat compared to yesterday. He was moving around a bit and even decided to clamber out of his pen  :doh: The intensive care unit is a mixed ward so there was a D O G in there too, not the smartest move from Riley! He can't see the dog as they have covered half his pen with a blanket so he's unaware - the dog seemed very poorly and didn't make a noise the whole time I was there.

He ate some dreamies from my hand although he left a few but yesterday I don't think he would have been interested. He'll need to stay in at least over the weekend and will remain catheterised but his kidneys seem to be OK and we will discuss things on Monday. It's lucky I've been on annual leave this week, have to go back to work next Thursday so fingers crossed he will be home before then so I can settle him back in.

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2013, 13:38:01 PM »
That is really good news. Topping up the ~~~ and ((( ))).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2013, 13:26:22 PM »
This sounds like great news  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2013, 13:21:10 PM »
This is just the greatest news and am so pleased you will be able to visit over the weekend, onwards and upwards  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2013, 13:17:31 PM »
This is such good news Helen and have everything crossed that he remains

.... bright, alert and vocal with no seizures.......... and .........kidney parameters have dropped to almost back within normal range

The fact that you are now allowed to visit, even at the weekend, will I'm sure help his recovery no end.  Next step is eating.  Whenever he is able to nosh normally, then we are cooking I think  :wow:  Shouldn't really get ahead of the game  :-: but I too was tempted to post a dancing banyan but don't want to tempt fate.

Just so delighted that this week of misery looks like it might be coming to a close for you  :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2013, 13:10:36 PM »
Yay!!!
And a nice hair cut to help him cope with the heat.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2013, 13:02:22 PM »
Excellent news .... so pleased he is up and about and all the test results are  back to normal.  I'm sure baldy boy will be back home very soon  :evillaugh:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
Fabulous news  :) :) :) 
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #275 on: July 12, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »

Just tip-toeing by to top up the snoozles and Furrzles from Ross and The Tink.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
Definitely great news.  Hope he continues to make good progress so he can be home with you soon.

Karen
x

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
Brilliant news, I bet the poor thing is feeling sorry for himself  :-[

Any idea how long they will be monitoring him for?

Sounds like you are very well organised for his arrival home anyways!

Emma xxx
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
Im pleased the op went well and his kidney functions improving. I hpe the fits are under control very soon as well.
Give him a head rub from us all please and of course one for Lu
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
love
Tab

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Thank you for the update, im pleased to see things are moving in the right direction  :wow: :wow:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
 Oh Helen that is wonderful news :) :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
Helen you must be over the moon  :hug:

I can't get in to the 'more' icons for the bananas so here's a little pic I found on the internet.

Don't care how bald and patchy he is, he will still look gorgeous in all the new pics of him you will be taking soon.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Helen, that's wonderful news!   I think we're all as much on tenterhooks as you for updates  :hug: :hug:

Riley could be shaved all over, and he'd still be a beautiful boy.   :Luv2:  His patches are just his battle scars, and every survivor carries a few of those.   :)  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
Ahh, this is the best possible news Helen. I'm so pleased. Keeping everything crossed that the improvement continues apace.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
oh that is good news Helen

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Well, a positive update already this morning  ;D

Vet says he is bright, alert and vocal with no seizures. His wound looks good and his kidneys are clearing waste and producing good urine. His kidney parameters have dropped to almost back within normal range whereas they were scarily high last night before his op.

For those that mentioned the bladder link with his seizures, I wish it was but sadly not  :shy: When he was being kept unconscious they had to manually express him and it's believed the tear happened when his bladder was being manipulated to express it. All his blood tests so far were normal for kidneys up until a day or so ago and as time went on were getting worse and worse which 'proves' when the urine started leaking.

not that Riley needs to be clipped - he's got a wonderful coat, bless his heart.

Not any more! When I saw him yesterday he had the back/top of his head shaved for the MRI, plus various paws for blood test sites (even the back one  :-: ). For the ultrasound of his kidneys he will have had his belly shaved and then for the op there will be another patch. At least it will keep him nice and cool  :)

Going to see him later today and the vet said I can visit over the weekend too.

I know I keep saying it but thank you for all the good wishes, they are so so appreciated  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
Hoping that Riley had a good night and that you managed to get some rest

Topping up the love, huggles and healing vibes xxx really hoping for more positive news today xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

Heat used to induce Tess's epilepsy - didnt have to be the case of her being in a hot car or anything - if she snoozed too long in the sun, or overheated generally, that could set it off.  As a beardie cross, she had a double coat, with guard hair top coat and a woolly fuzz beneath.  It could mean her getting very hot - you would see her start to "go" - her eyes would become unfocussed first.  We were fortunate we were able to keep it under control without any medication, by keeping her clipped, and making sure she stayed comfortably cool.   

not that Riley needs to be clipped - he's got a wonderful coat, bless his heart.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »
I'm making a bit of a tenuous link here but it might give the vet food for thought .... When one of my cousins was a baby she kept fitting and they thought it was epilepsy but she was showing no signs of it apart from the fitting. Eventually they worked out that she was getting spikes in her temperature caused by a bladder infection and once they got both under control the fits stopped.
I know we've got different physiologies but we're all mammals at the end of the day.
That aside I am so pleased that you had a more positive end to the day and got to see him.
More best wishes on their way  :hug: :hug:

Funnily enough Louise I was thinking the very same thing.  I did initial suggest that it might be a virus (elevated temp) that may be causing the fits.  Whenever dogs are stuck in hot cars if they temp raises too much they start fitting.  As you said it might be a complete coincidence but it is definiately worth suggesting to the vet Helen ... rather than having Riley on unnecessary meds for the rest of his life.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
all good wishes to you both Helen, heres hoping riley has a good day today

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »
Hoping with all my heart that Riley has had a good night Helen  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »
Topping up the vibes for Riley this morning and sending big  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you Helen.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2013, 07:38:22 AM »
I'm making a bit of a tenuous link here but it might give the vet food for thought .... When one of my cousins was a baby she kept fitting and they thought it was epilepsy but she was showing no signs of it apart from the fitting. Eventually they worked out that she was getting spikes in her temperature caused by a bladder infection and once they got both under control the fits stopped.
I know we've got different physiologies but we're all mammals at the end of the day.
That aside I am so pleased that you had a more positive end to the day and got to see him.
More best wishes on their way  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »

Helen, quite a day all round yesterday, ut I think things are still looking very positive.  Am very glad you got to spend some precious time with Riley.  he'll have known you were there, be sure of it.  A cat's senses are one of the most amazing things about them (in a creature comprised of much amazing-ness!)

This is such good news that they were able to repair his bladder so promptly, and am keeping everything crossed that he will have had another comfortable night, and will continue to do well today. 

We're keeping those positive vibes well and truly topped up, and Ross and The Tink are adding their particularly purry, striped and fuzzy snoozles to the mix with big fat furzles for added potency.  We're sending you and Lu hugs and cuddles by the bucketload, and will wait to hear more today as to how our beautiful Riley is getting on.    :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2013, 00:14:42 AM »
OMG Helen, you must be knackered and overwhelmed by it all  :hug: :hug:

At least it's all looking good and they are acting very quickly to get him sorted.

Another day closer to getting home  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2013, 23:46:10 PM »
Just topping up those good vibes!  Glad Riley's doing better. xx  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Riley poorly at vets - having seizures
« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2013, 23:28:26 PM »
So wonderful to hear op went well hun :). Was the hole in his bladder there before they tried to empty it ? Ie is this the cause of his fits?
Poor babe so glad he's in excellent hands. Thinking of you all and sending all my love and many hugs over. Just want riles to be better and home xxxx

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2013, 22:38:14 PM »
Poor little chap, he really is going through the mill! Let's hope this is the end of painful, worrying and undignified procedures  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2013, 22:33:37 PM »
 :) glad all went well Helen, fingers and paws crossed (from me and the ferals) that the meds work well now  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2013, 22:28:11 PM »
So pleased the op went well and wishing Riley all the best over night :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2013, 22:22:32 PM »
Helen,  I have put a little update on the Purrs FB page and everyone send lots of love and good wishes. 

Link to CatChat