Author Topic: New stray on the block - ALVIN!  (Read 24347 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: New stray on the block - ALVIN!
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2013, 23:26:16 PM »
Maria is quite affable, so I'll suggest she makes her own appointment for Alvin and takes advantage of the free boosters. I can do no more than that.

However Tufty is also due his booster so I could just nick it.  :evillaugh: Not being serious here, just joshin'ya - had a few wines in the college bar y'know.  :innocent:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2013, 23:07:16 PM »
Sorry but is it just me?  :shy: I would definitely ring vets and give them his new name and contact details and explain that vet needs to send out a reminder re vaccination with a note that it is already paid for. 

I'd not do that because it's giving out someone elses address without their consent, which I'd not be comfortable with. Because Sheila has had contact with the owners, that's the route I'd be taking. But it makes sense to do it that way if you're not concerned about giving out someone elses details. :)

Good luck, Sheila. Hope you can get the message across. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2013, 17:51:43 PM »
You have done everything you could for Alvin.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
good luck to you sheila, I know from my own experience of rosie and my family apathy seems to win far too often  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
oh Sheila, don't know what to say, what a roller coaster

Occupational Hazard, Dawn. Somebody had to do something. I've decided to get some of Celia's neutering leaflets and put them through doors around here. See if we can't trigger some responsible spaying of the females that are causing the problems.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
oh Sheila, don't know what to say, what a roller coaster

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
Happyish ending then?

I'll tell Bonnie to take him off the birthday list  ;)

Mary

Thanks Mary.  :doh: I'll ask Pursley to add Ivan's birthday after he's been done - she doesn't acknowledge unneutered boys as part of the family  :-:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2013, 22:01:30 PM »
Aha, straight thinking. Perfect Rosella, thank you, got so bogged down with other stuff I lost sight of the bigger picture.   :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2013, 21:58:22 PM »
Sorry but is it just me?  :shy: I would definitely ring vets and give them his new name and contact details and explain that vet needs to send out a reminder re vaccination with a note that it is already paid for. 

So sorry the young lad has such irresponsible owners Sheila but at least he seems to like them  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Just off to Ivan's thread ............

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2013, 21:26:56 PM »
 :tired: What gave it away, Gill....? :tired:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2013, 18:39:40 PM »
Note through the letter box letting them know which vets to take him to for the follow up injections, ensuring they know it won't cost them anything?

With maybe a subtle (or not so subtle) comment that you have notified the vets of his new (old) address and they will be chasing it up if he doesn't attend.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2013, 18:06:56 PM »
Note through the letter box letting them know which vets to take him to for the follow up injections, ensuring they know it won't cost them anything?

Good idea JS and can see you are well vversed in things like this  :innocent:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2013, 18:04:54 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2013, 18:04:33 PM »
I think it would be good for him to have the end of the course and then at least he has one complete.

It took him along time to go not very far  :shify: :shify: detours maybe and hope he remembers the way back to yours  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2013, 17:33:12 PM »
Only 5 minutes walk Susanne, less in cat terms (as the crow flies its only 400 yards if that!). If you saw him you'd see it too, he's part of the family for all it's downsides. Now he's neutered I don't expect to see him back, he looked relaxed and comfortable. At least he has a bolt hole here if ever needed.
I didn't leave flea/worm treatments or catnip toys (even though I had them in my bag) as my goodwill was becoming strained. I even forgot to offer to take her for his follow up injections.

Not sure what to do now, as I think these are already paid for??

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2013, 17:01:09 PM »
Goodness - so many twists and turns!

Good news and bad news there.  Obviously bad news that they are not neutering and allowing their cats to breed.  It seems on the surface to be good news for Alvin/Bobby that he's back home and seems to be loved.  However, sometimes love isn't enough and whilst the kids may be happy to play with him he doesn't seem to be terribly well cared for.  Hopefully now that he's neutered and has been vaccinated (will they take him for the 2nd vaccination?) he will do better and not roam (or get into fights) and at least he won't be adding to the future cat population.  But I can't help feeling he's as neglected as he is loved and I wonder whether the 2 little girls who were playing with him will still be doing so when the novelty has worn off and he's a bit older and less kittenish.  Although the neutering should go some way to prevent him wandering, I just have a feeling that he may turn up again at yours, Sheila.  How far away from you do they live?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2013, 16:52:39 PM »
Unexpected is not the word....

What a little player he is!

Sheila, I'm a little sad for Alvin although I know I shouldn't be if he's happy. But it's not right to just leave cats free roaming to get in to all manner of bother because of  their hormones.

Anyway..... :shy:

Hurrah for nice chocs and roses - and good luck with the other boys. ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2013, 16:35:10 PM »
Happyish ending then?

I'll tell Bonnie to take him off the birthday list  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2013, 15:59:12 PM »
I can understand your mixed feelings but at least Alvin is happy at home - and I'm pretty sure that he would come and find you if he needed help in future.  :hug:

Just Ivan to sort out now...

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2013, 15:07:46 PM »
The chocs are scrummy.  :shy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2013, 14:48:31 PM »
So pleased that Alvin is happy cos he loves his home but so sad they dont take more care of him.

Well done you on being able to walk away  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2013, 14:45:19 PM »
Mixed emotions. The Jamaican accent I thought I'd picked up on the phone was actually her deaf speech, she's an Essex woman through and through, living with her daughter and two grandaughters. Nor is she especially elderly or broke, they can afford to chain smoke and her daughter could barely be bothered to lift her eyes from her I-pad to say hello to me.

However Alvin/Bobby Marley was there looking like the happiest cat alive playing with the two little girls. Still wearing my collar which I smartly popped off him and pocketed, but obviously at home with the family he loves. That in itself is a relief because he's clearly loved by the kids and will be safe, and what more can I ask for him.

Then they told me the bad stuff. Bobby was bred by them last March making him 15 months old. He was one of six - the others were "got rid of" but I couldn't bring myself to ask what thet meant. Bobby's mother is still unspayed, and strangely couldn't be found, so presumably will be chucking out another set of kittens to be "got rid of" very soon.  >:(

I explained that I could help them get neutering for their other cats if they wanted help, but was met with shrugged shoulders, so I made my farewells and left.

However, I was presented with a small bunch of roses and chocs for my trouble, and they promised to get his microchip details changed (just as soon as daughter could be bothered to find the site on her ipad, she was unwilling to find the site while I was there).

They didn't recognise Ivan from my pictures, though. So he's not sprogged from there.

Case closed. Good luck Alvin, you're a special little boy indeed.   :crossed:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to meeting her, she sounds quite special.  :)

You are an amazing lady Sheila and no mistake.  I am delighted Alvin Bobby Marley is home.  I hope you find him asleep and happy at home.

I can certainly see the benefits of offering to bring her and Bobby to vets for follow up vaccination.  Pointless having the initial vaccination if there is no follow up and, bearing in mind Maria asked OH if you wanted to keep him, there is always the possibility that he may one day end up back with you.

You have your head screwed firmly on so am sure you will be sensible.  Can I however please offer a teeny weeny word of caution, think twice, nay maybe even thrice, before offering too much more to Maria.  Giving yourself a little time to think things thru, esp when the next week is booked up so fully with other stuff, is no bad thing. 

The impact of other cats being introduced to your existing clan has to be your number one priority and whilst Ivan is with you, I think that will be more than enough to handle.   

Just a suggestion; if you have a spare grooming brush, it might help Maria bond better with me laddo and keep matting problems to a minimum?  I have a feeling a few catnip toys might be brought along for the ride too  :innocent: 

I feel for your OH I have to say.  I bet he is upset too  :(  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:09:56 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
They have got their head screwed on the right way.  :rofl:  Cute customers they are.  Alvin the cat with two names :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
Am going to take my laptop with me so Maria can see this thread. If she sees the photos of his manky eye and his reports on the National Pet Register and AnimalSearchUK she'll realise just how long he's been missing and what a state he was in when I picked him up. I'll also take some spot-on wormers for him, as he was badly infested.

Alvin's still due his second course of vaccs. If she'll allow it I'd like to take her and Alvin together to see my vet then so she can talk to a professional about his care.  :innocent:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
Gobsmacked at the turn of these events.  I think Alvin now has 2 homes and more then ones set of parents.  He obviously knew that Maria needed human help so went in search of some kind people to do so.  He reminds me a lot of KoKo in The Cat Who mysteries.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
Wow!  Well that's an unexpected turn up for the books!  I find it really strange that he obviously hasn't been home for ages, yet as soon as he bolts out of your house, he goes straight back home - what on earth must be going through his little mind?!

I worked it out, he escaped from here at 12 midnight but didn't pitch up at Maria's until 745pm. I think he's got himself lost on purpose knowing there's food available here (No7  >:( ) but I'd put a "Do Not Feed" collar on him before he got out (just in case!) ;) and reckon this has forced his hand (paw) - he either went into my trap for the bait food  :scared: or he went home  :) .

In my limited experience, cats won't hang around where they're not happy, true, but the primary driver is always food and no matter how much he disliked life with Maria she obviously has food for him, so home he went. I'll see if we can't make life a little easier for them both today. Now he's neutered he should be a little easier for her to manage.

I can't help wondering what state her other cat is in, need to be careful not to overstep my mark here.  :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
I couldnt get this too load and somehow all these new posts arrived  :sneaky:

What a wonderful story and sounds like Maria has a few problems but Alvin knew where his food was coming from until you trapped him LOL, then he wanted to go home and probaqbly hence all the wailing.

It sounds like you and Maria will be able to sort this out and what a wonderful lady you are  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2013, 23:59:17 PM »
flippin' 'eck, Shelia

first you take in Alvin, then Ivan, and now you're moving on to a Maria  :shify:

word will get about, you know - by Monday morning I predict a long queue snaking around the corner from your front door :rofl:

just wish there were more big-hearted people like you and your OH in the world :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2013, 23:50:18 PM »
I leave this thread for five minutes and look what happens!
Blimey what a roller coaster. Here's to hopping Alvin / Bob knows what side his bread is buttered.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2013, 23:09:05 PM »
What an unexpected twist  :Crazy: You're such a star Sheila, Alvin obviously hunted you down when he needed help  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2013, 22:50:13 PM »
Wow!  Well that's an unexpected turn up for the books!  I find it really strange that he obviously hasn't been home for ages, yet as soon as he bolts out of your house, he goes straight back home - what on earth must be going through his little mind?!

I look forward to hearing how your meeting with Maria goes - even if she does keep him and he decides to stay there, at least you can now feel reassured that he does have a loving owner, is now neutered and probably knows how to get back to yours if he decides to move out for good!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2013, 21:27:19 PM »
OMG - maybe after seeing the lady you might be bringing him home with you  ;)

Mary

Well it was OH who answered the phone to her (Maria), and she asked him if we wanted the cat back!  :shify: I'll see what her circumstances are tomorrow, I'm seeing her at 2pm. If she can't afford him she may well ask me face to face.

Re-reading this thread he was in a bad way when we brought him in, so I'm guessing Maria has limited cat husbandry skills and may be in need of some support. Even if it's just someone to bring his cat food and source his meds, I don't mind at all if it means he's going to be loved and happy, and a little healthier.

She rang back a few minutes ago, been worrying that she now owes me money.  :( I told her not to worry about it as we embarked on his rescue knowing he had been somebody's pet and these things happen. She sounded very relieved. I'm looking forward to meeting her, she sounds quite special.  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2013, 21:20:10 PM »
Blimey - that's an unexpected twist!  It does sound as though she has problems caring for him though so maybe this isn't the end of the story  ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2013, 21:02:35 PM »
OMG - maybe after seeing the lady you might be bringing him home with you  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2013, 20:52:31 PM »
So sad but suspect Alvin will be back and am sure the lady is very grateful to you.

So many roaming cats and was like that where I lived in London, and constantly changing as people rented and left.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2013, 20:16:03 PM »
Well, if this doesn't take the biscuit.

The phone just rang, an elderly Jamaican lady saying Alvin is her cat, Bobby Marley, and he's just come home wearing my collar.  :) :phew: She's so relieved he's OK and back safe.

She's very deaf and struggled to hear me on her deaf phone, but its clear from our conversation that she has trouble with timespans (she thought he'd only been missing a few days) and has money issues. She seems delighted that he's been neutered too. I've arranged to go and see her tomorrow to collect my collar and give her his microchip papers.

I'll see if there's anything else I can help her with, from the state Bobby Marley was in, and from the sound of her, she may need some support.

She has another cat, a female, who apparently went missing once and also came back with a microchip  :shify:

I'm relieved he's OK and glad he is back with his real Mum, and he now has a much better chance of living a long and happy life. I

did ask if she has lost any other cats (thinking she may also be missing an Ivan) but no, they're not related.

So, I'll post again tomorrow with an update but it seems we've had a successful re-union after all, just not the one anyone expected.

Here's to identity tags with phone numbers on!  :cheer:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2013, 18:12:56 PM »
I know Gill, the simple fact that I can be outwitted with such regularity just proves to me how very human I am  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Alvin has to go back to the vet on the 23rd to finish his course of vaccinations, plus Ivan is here now so I want him inside so they can be company for each other until Ivan's op on Friday.

Just caught Spike from next door again.  :heeee heeee:

I've also identified the hussy who is luring all these boys in. The kitten we've been seeing about for some time has blossomed into a pretty young thing, and there's no sign that she's been spayed. I'd put her around 8 months, so she's likely to be in her first season. Caught her rubbing around the garden earlier with some fairly forward cattitude.  :-:

Keeping the trap baited with fresh food is a problem today because it keeps getting waterlogged. I've placed a tarp over the top to try and keep things dry, and now Beau wants in.  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2013, 15:12:05 PM »
He definately has Lupin tendancies and I bet he is watching like a hawk for any slip up you make!

When my flap was set on in only was when Lupin got out cos he hooked a claw down the side and pulled it open and slipped out................unlike Alvin he had never been out on his own and didnt know what to do.

I found him sitting on the step outside waiting to be rescued!

Ummmmmmmmm I did say he would be watching for your slip!  :innocent:

I think that he will be back but testing to see if you try and trap him again......does he neeed to go back to the vet? If not I wouldnt trap him again cos he needs to learn to trust you.....just my opinion.

Will pop onto the Ivan thread now  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
I'm sure he'll be back soon. If he was hanging around before I doubt he'll do a runner now.
Good point. I heard somebody who sounded like him a few minutes ago, but it may have been Vidal or one of the other toms I've spotted around here this week.
The trap's set and I'm going nowhere except to the vet with Ivan at 3 o'clock. If Alvin's still here I'll catch him, I've never been more determined.  :-:

Chikkun - that's his achilles heel. And hopefully Ivan will help to call him in, he's making enough noise!  :doh:

Link to CatChat