Author Topic: New stray on the block - ALVIN!  (Read 24345 times)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Re: New stray on the block - ALVIN!
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2013, 17:59:51 PM »
Awww bless him :Luv2: :Luv2: Its wonderful to know that he doesnt have to worry any more where his next meal comes from or sleep rough :) Well done Alvin for choosing the right home with the bestest of slaves   ;)
Hope Sly is feeling much better. :hug: :hug:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2013, 16:20:46 PM »
He's a very handsome chap!

We had Alfie here for several weeks before he was officially ours, we got him neutered as soon as we officially 'owned' him. I can truly say that there was no 'tomcat' smell, possibly because he was still quite young (just under 1 year we think)?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2013, 14:03:20 PM »
Oooh he's just lovely Sheila  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2013, 13:31:42 PM »
What a sweetie!  Did the vet say how old Alvin was, he only looks about 1 or 2 to me?

That's exactly what my vet thought  :ok: somewhere between 1 and 2.

I'm putting him at the younger end though because he behaves like an impressionable boy and seems to have a fair bit of growing to do where ears and paws are concerned.

His 1st birthday will be his neutering date, 4th June.  Must tell Bonnie!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2013, 13:21:05 PM »
What a sweetie!  Did the vet say how old Alvin was, he only looks about 1 or 2 to me?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
Aww bless him.  Glad he seems to be settling in well, stench and all!  Intros seem very calm so far!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Aaaawwww!!!!!!      :Luv2: :Luv2:  Ah bless his heart!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »

Rosella, it's my honest opinion that people who don't neuter aren't troubled by the smell because of course 9 times out of 10 their cats scarcely see the insides of their owner's house - they're busy mooching round the houses of Crazy Cat ladies in the neighbourhood, hoping for a morsel of food, a kind word and a comfy place to snooze, when they aren't scrapping or eyeing up the top totty.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
Here puddy puddy puddy ......... Come to antie Zella .......... little baby........... here's some toona for the iddie liddle man .........  :)

A thought occurring to me whilst grinning form ear to ear over this lad's stunning increase in life chances  :wow: :wow: :wow:  Peeps who do not neuter must have to put up with this pong all the time .......... weird or wot?  :Crazy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   So glad he hadnt chosen the chimney option......  :doh:

Alvin the Aromatic, eh?  Makes him seem a little Tsar like, no?  ;)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 07:28:42 AM »
 :thanks: everybody.

Just came down to check on His Madge, Alvin the Magnificent, only to find him gone  :doh: Houdini stayle. The doors shut fast, windows too. Only way out is up the chimney and there's a fireguard sooooo... think fast think  :um:

But wait, how has he gone but left his terrible Tomcat stench behind?   :shify:

You guessed it! He's done what every single other rescue cat I've had in this house has done - found gimself a tuck-away where we'll think he's done a runner but is secretly and patiently waiting for us to leave a door ajar so he can leggit.  :sneaky:

Chubby went under the hi-fi cabinet, Tuffers went behind the wardrobe, Jenny holed up behind the telly and Alvin has gone behind the sofa, although he's left his stink lying about so it was a dead giveaway. I can just see his little busted face peering up at me so I'm ignoring him. This generally works but let's see how smart he really is.  ;)

Very much taking heed of these words Rosella -

he'll have ya running round in circles  feeding him little titbits 10 times a day and worryin' your self silly ........
He's gonna run ya ragged gal

and maybe I'm less of a catlover than I thought because this game doesn't rub with me anymore - he can stay there till he's good and hungry as far as I'm concerned. OH will be a different matter, though.  :sigh: He'll be on his hands and knees with a tin of tuna within minutes of surfacing - guaranteed :rofl: :doh:

So me and Polly are going about our business of a nice cuddle (she pins me to the sofa while I type) and HM Alvin the Magnificent is, hopefully, squatting uncomfortably down there, with the scent of fresh food and a fresh catnip leaf waiting for him to come to his senses.  :shify:

More later, possibly with pics if I can get a new pooter today (can't load 'em on here, another reason for the urgency!)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »

Am reading this with barely concealed deilght.  Long may the harmony continue.   :Luv:  Well done to Sheila and Mr Sheila.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
This all sounds great Sheila  ;D ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2013, 22:51:53 PM »
Oh Sheila  :shify:  You got me going thru Grouchie pics trying to find ones that'll do justice to his whirly long eyebrow whiskas, his woolly fur, bushy tail, tufty ears ..............

Be careful as you are headed for a deep love affair and you better beware  :innocent:  If he's anything like me laddo (and I can tell Alvin sooooooo is), he'll have ya running round in circles  feeding him little titbits 10 times a day and worryin' your self silly over every little sniffle .............

He's gonna run ya ragged gal  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2013, 22:35:18 PM »
Brought Alvin straight in to the front room with us, locked down and no other cats. Well he jumped out of his carrier and had a good sniff round, jumped up at the glazed panels of the internal door and hung there until OH gently lifted him off and told him he was ok, not to worry everything was going to be just fine from now on, then he headed for the biscuits and went to sleep on the hi-fi cabinet.

He's been there ever since, half asleep, watching, dozing, spread out like a little bearcub with his paws over his eyes.  :Luv: Every now and again he flips over and lets out a long ppprrrrrrpppp and nods off again.

Sly came in to see what was so smelly, but didn't hang about. He took his metacam like a lollypop then wobbled off walking for all the world as if his foot was back to normal - which it isn't but it's half the size it was yesterday  :)

Polly popped in but didn't hang around, Beau came for his Dreamies then left too. All fleeting visits but no-one was aggresive or even seemed to really notice. Tufty never comes in here unless the kitchen bowls are empty so we should be able to maintain a good separation between these two young bucks.  :shify:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013, 18:22:33 PM »
Congratulations on Alvin and him getting through such a anxious day.  I can imagine what his going to be like at home, I hope you like a vocal cat   :rofl:  maybe his part Siamese.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2013, 17:31:46 PM »
Well done Alvin is a great name and so pleased he has had all the works now  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2013, 16:59:05 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwww he's just DDG Sheila  :catluv:

Hope he doesn't hold anfink agin ya for too long re all this jabbing n poking n prying he's had to endure in the last 24 hours  :hug:

Also hope his hormones calm down real quick  :faint:

There's no way we cudda resisted that young fella if he turned up in our garden.

May you all have many very happy years together  :) :) :)

A few more :gold stars: for you and hubby  :wow:

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jumpy, Pixie, Gracie & Bogey
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2013, 16:34:20 PM »
Now Sheila are you absolutely sure about the name Alvin? It's just that you have a Theodore already so this means you need to acquire a 'Simon' to complete the set   :naughty: (If it's not your era then google it but whatever you do DON'T watch any youtube vids as you will be humming the themetune for years  :evillaugh: )

Joking aside I'm pleased to hear that things have gone smoothly for Alvin, although it;s a shame he's not chipped for the ultimate happy ending  :shy:

:rofl:  :rofl: ......It was my era!!!!!  :evillaugh:  ;)  ;D LOVE The Chipmunks!!!  :wow:

I hope he settles in very well with you - we have a stray too who we are feeding, a young tabby, such a sweet face, has been looking very skinny but improving now on our regular fppd  8)

We have named him Bogey..  :shy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2013, 16:12:20 PM »
He's come through his op with no issues at all: neutered, chipped, wormed (needed worming badly apparently), jabbed, spruced up and ready to come home.  ;D

Need to google that one Helen, I'm clearly too old to know about this trio.  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2013, 15:01:03 PM »
Now Sheila are you absolutely sure about the name Alvin? It's just that you have a Theodore already so this means you need to acquire a 'Simon' to complete the set   :naughty: (If it's not your era then google it but whatever you do DON'T watch any youtube vids as you will be humming the themetune for years  :evillaugh: )

Joking aside I'm pleased to hear that things have gone smoothly for Alvin, although it;s a shame he's not chipped for the ultimate happy ending  :shy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »

So pleased to learn of your progress with Alvin Sheila (though less good news about poor Sly's injury, gawd love him!)

BTW Sheila, when Groucho were a wee boy, some crazy cat ladies were trying to get me to name him Greebo http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Greebo ....

:innocent:  Dont know who would've come up with such an idea, I'm sure I don't.    Although, in fairness to whoever that clearly insane person was, Nanny Ogg was a very good judge of character, and Greebo was a very - erm - charismatic cat.    :-:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
Oh dear, poor Sly! I do hope that his injury soon mends  :hug:

We done for catching Alvin and getting him to the vets. He looks, and sounds, a real sweetie; thank you for looking after him.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »
I'm glad he came back, Sooty is a gorgious hunk.   Could be part Coon or Norweign Forest Cat,  that tail does look similar to theirs?

I was thinking Wedgie myself - don't Maine Coons have a very straight nose? Alvin definitely has a dip in his, and it's very very cute.
He has slightly emphasised tufts on his ears but his most extraordinary feature is his forehead whiskers! They're so long and beautifully curled, never seen anything like it. Need to check some websites.

Also his coat seems to be more woolly than silky. Tufty is the worlds silkiest cat but although Alvin's fur is similar in length it's quite different in texture.

Guess I'll be working late tonight to make up a day's work.  :-[

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
So Alvin it is!  ;D

If I had a black cat I think I'd name him Inky after the first cat I, erm.. purloined  :shify:  In my early 20s I was living in a bedsit at the top of a large house and tenants on the ground floor acquired a black kitten who soon made his way up to the top floor and decided my place was more fun than his place.  The toys and treats I bought for him probably had a lot to do with that  :-[ but I hasten to add I didn't shut the door so he was free to come and go as he chose - he just chose to be with me most evenings so his slaves usually ended up climbing several flights of stairs to come looking for him  :rofl:  Technically he was my first cat  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: New stray on the block - Sooty
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
Alvin's a great name - sending him and you lots of  :gold stars:  and these :star1:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »
aww well done alvin, couldn't have dropped by at a better garden in london (well pavs possibly!!)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
He is isn't he  :Luv:

Let me pick him up with only the feeblest protest, and pop him in his carrier. Bless, His fluffy trousers are caked in dry mud, poop and sticks so he needs a good clip up. Good as gold though, I think he's a softy.

There is no chip. He's unneutered - fully intact said the very wide eyed VN (who has fallen for him as he's also the image of her cat) so he's having his Op today followed by microchip (half price offer for June, Gettin!) primary vaccinations and a Milbemax.

Phew, poor kid should be ready for collection by 4.30pm today.

The sharp-eyed amongst you will have noticed the title change. OH decided Sooty wasn't PC enough (it hadn't even occurred to me that cats were bothered about such things) and "Thornton" - being the town I was brought up - is nice but not right for him, so I've chosen Alvin - after my second favourite British rocknroller (well it would be tempting fate to name a cat Shakey!).

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
Glad you've caught him  ;D  But Thornton?  :shify:  If you're going to name him after chocolate  ;) at least name him after something decent  :shify:  Like Pischanaki - the 100% dark chocolate from Peru that I'm savouring as I type   :rofl:  Where does Alvin come from?

Poor Sly - I hope his leg is ok  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:49:53 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »
Sheila! He is gorgeous. Welll done.
Are you hoping that maybe he isn't chipped and may be accepted into the Tufty Club at some point?

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
WTG to you both for catching Sooty/Thornton (I take that it's after the chocolates?).   I did know of someone with a cat a spitting image of Sooty but he must  have died years ago and would have come from Blackheath, that cat's name was Jaz.  I don't keep in contact with the owner anymore so I don't know if his still in the land of the living nor if he had gone missing.

Sorry to hear of poor Sly's accident, I'm sending lots of healing thoughts and hope it's nothing serious.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Thanks Rosella, what a kind person you are ;D  but OH has "volunteered" to sponsor this little man as it was his idea to bring him in.

Still yet to get the chip scanner on him.  :crossed: he's too sweet not to be somebody's pet.

He's sitting in the carrier now - he let me pick him up and pop him in, bless him. Managed to get a quick feel of his plumage and he's pretty knotty with bits of sticks and dried poo stuck to his fluffy trousers so he will need a clip up.
Like Tufty was, his long coat is against him being an outside cat so TNR not looking viable. I'll see what Neil says about neutering him today - he's pretty pragmatic usually and still no reports of a missing cat meeting his description locally or nationally.

Alvin... hmmm. What's in a name? Commitment, that's what.  :shy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Now now Sheila, cats with names don't move on.  Isn't that a well known fact?  :-:  That's what happened with Grouchie lad anyway  ;)

Fingers firmly crossed that young fella is chipped but, if not, I agree with Liz that I'd do the deed as soon as vet will allow.  Also agree that dematting and chipping to you whilst he is under is a good idea.  Groucho had a bit of a haircut around nether regions some weeks ago following a poo/hairball problem and doesn't look at all bad so might also be an idea.  Boosters too if vet thinks he is well enough (watery eye). He may need ABs of course to?  Am thinking what would I want to happen to the little fella if he were family and that's about it.

I am well up for helping with vet cost Sheila as I feel a bit of an affinity to this lad altho no room to take on any more fluff balls atm  :(  Just PM.  Mean it  :hug:

Best of luck with vet visit  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank heavens for metacam.  Sending get well vibes for our Sly boy.  Sounds so very painful  :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
Quiet night, young Alvin (I like) or Thornton (OH is insisting  :-[ ) has been really good, he's now hungry and vocal.

The vet opens at 8.30, if I'm first on the line he should get his appointment pretty quickly.

But Thornton ?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 06:25:53 AM »
I would neuter, tidy up his hair give him a full set of boosters and an ID Chip to you this is what I do with anything that turns up here its the best we can do but if anything happens I do hear back as my vets scan everything should the worst happen and always phone me to check if it was one of my strays that hadn't been caught yet

Missed the part on Sly sending get well vibes for all of us here
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 00:23:56 AM »
OH poor Sly :( Sending some healing vibes his way :hug: :hug:
Great news that Sooty is safe in your bathroom and hope the vet visit goes well, there is a chance he is chipped and the owner didn't get to or did not want to have him spayed like the stray ginger i rescued two years ago and Mayhew agreed to take in and re home only to find out he was chipped and once contacted the owner he said he did not want his cat to be neutered! >:( Well he was neutered and rehomed as the owner didnt bother to turn up and collect him :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2013, 23:26:33 PM »
Poor Sly sending him lots of healing vibes  :hug: :hug:

I think a lot of crazy cat ladies were trying lots of other names with Groucho lol

I hope Sooty will be dealt with soon and gets a great name...............like Sooty  :innocent:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 22:32:06 PM »
Thanks Liz, I've got a puppy pad under his blanket.  ;)

Cheers Helen, Rosella and all his fan club, Sly is knocked out with a metacam jab so is quite happy tonight, his poor foot is badly bruised and some tearing to the skin but until the swelling goes down the vet can't tell if he's also pulled a ligament in his ankle joint (it's not his cruciate thank God!).

My instinct is to treat Sooty/Snowy/Darth/Frank?? as a TNR candidate and just neuter him straight away (presuming he's not chipped of course) but although I've been searching the local and national websites for ten days or so now, and finding nothing, his photos have only been on-line for two days.

Thoughts anyone?

(Oh yes I remember Terry Pratchetts Greebo, wasn't he Nanny Ogg's cat who she transformed into a superhero/villain?)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 22:17:04 PM »
BTW Sheila, when Groucho were a wee boy, some crazy cat ladies were trying to get me to name him Greebo http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Greebo ....

Link to CatChat