Author Topic: i am looking for some kittens  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: i am looking for some kittens
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 16:35:48 PM »
Ditto!!! definately no objections ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 16:31:27 PM »
Why do I have the feeling that this is  a windup

I think it is and, unless anyone has any violent objections, I propose to lock it shortly.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

MBll

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 16:07:51 PM »
Why do I have the feeling that this is  a windup

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
Just been reading this thread,I hope all the kittens are safe to :scared:
Shane please let us know what you are going to do and where they are staying (inside or outside)
Caroline xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »
Every year, many cat owners decide to get their cat spayed or neutered. This decision is made for several different reasons, all of which illustrate why it is such a good idea.

The many problems caused by unspayed or unneutered pets each year are part of what has prompted numerous humane societies to require that any adopted animals be promptly spayed or neutered as a condition of adoption. Many of the problems that are listed below would be alleviated if more people took the time to get their pets spayed or neutered.
With that kept in mind, here are the top seven reasons to have your cat spayed or neutered.

1. The most important reason is simply that there are too many unwanted litters of kittens. Millions of cats are euthanised each year. 90% of these animals would be acceptable for adoption into families, unfortunately, there simply are not enough families looking for cats to give these animals a good home. A single unspayed female cat can produce three litters per year, with an average of four to six kittens per litter.

2. Unwanted cats that are not euthanised or adopted are often abandoned and become feral. It is estimated that the feral cat population is as large as the current number of cats that have homes. Feral cats can carry diseases as well as harm the populations of wild rodents and birds. As a result, a large feral cat population can have a damaging effect on the environment. By having your own cat spayed or neutered, you can ensure that your pet will not contribute to the growing problem.

3. Unspayed female cats go into heat several times a year. By spaying your cat, you can prevent several unwanted behaviours, including spraying, hours of yowling, and you will not have to confine your cat for several weeks out of the year.

4. Male cats that have not been neutered are also more difficult to care for. Sexually mature male cats often feel a need to mark their territory. Also, the mating instincts in unneutered cats cannot be curbed or controlled, and often these male cats will wander off for days at a time in search of a female that is in heat. Sometimes when male cats wander they get lost and do not come home. By neutering your cat, you can prevent this.

5. It is better for your cat's health to be spayed or neutered. For example, female cats that are spayed before their first heat will have a reduced chance of mammary cancer, and will be unable to develop pyometra, which is a serious uterine condition that can cause death. Also, an unwanted pregnancy in an already ill or aging cat can be fatal. Male cats which have been neutered have less chance of being injured in fights over females, or of developing prostate problems

6. Spayed or neutered cats are often more friendly with their owners than they would usually be. Not only are the cats more friendly, but as has been mentioned before, there are fewer unwanted behaviours for their owners to contend with. It's much easier to have a good relationship with your cat when you don't have to worry about all of the unfortunate situations that come up after your pet has reached sexual maturity.

7. Getting your cat spayed or neutered will save you money in the long run. First, it can save you money by eliminating the need to replace furniture that has been damaged by a female cat in heat, or a male cat marking its territory. Next, since the procedure is fairly cheap, it may save you a lot of money by preventing health problems in your pets.
Something to remember: You should still get your cat spayed or neutered, even if you don't think that you can afford the procedure. Look around in your area for cheap or even free services. If you are on low income in the UK, you should be able to get vouchers to help towards most if not all the cost from the RSPCA, Cat Protections or the PDSA.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 22:23:01 PM »
 :'(  poor kittens

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 21:45:42 PM »
I hope the dogs stay penned when the kitties are out  :scared:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 21:42:59 PM »
I really hope 6 poor kittens arent going to be thrown in with the dogs to "see if they get on with cats"  :(

I'm sorry but considering you don't seem to know alot about cat care, how can you possibly attempt to care for 6 growing cats, pay for all the vaccs, neutering etc?
 :( :'(

Been following this and i'm afraid I say I dont have much faith in it ending well  >:(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 21:44:20 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 21:11:00 PM »
whattttttttttttttttttt
 6 kittens ????????????????????

why u need 6 anyway????
where did u get them all from ? :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :( :( :( :(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 17:31:40 PM »
No reputable rescue would home 6 kittens to one person so were probably a free ad  :(

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »
 :what:  Where did you get them from?

I hope you're going to have them neutered and vaccinated.

Do you know much about cat care?  :um:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline aitch

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Loki, Tabitha, Frank, Nell and Percy
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 21:32:45 PM »
 :( Have been following this thread......(and the others)  :(

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 21:15:29 PM »
 :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 21:09:41 PM »
 :(

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 20:38:37 PM »
thank you all for your messages i have now got 6 kittens

Hi Shane,

Where did you get them from in the end? How old are they? As Milly's Mum said make sure you get them neutered by 5months at the absolute latest or you'll be overrun with kittens!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 20:32:17 PM »
 :omg:

Please get them neutered before 6 months or you will have big problems  :)

Offline shane

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 20:17:25 PM »
hi all

thank you all for your messages i have now got 6 kittens

shane

ccmacey

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
Shane, Jack russels are good rat catchers too, your friend must get some of these with being in dog rescue?

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 05:55:11 AM »
If you're friend runs a dog rescue then he must be aware of cat rescues (even if he doesn't know them by name). Could he not call a cat rescue (much like a dog rescue, but with cats) and explain his problem to them?
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 05:41:28 AM »
Shane, it would help if you gave a more detailed explanation of why you want the cats, and what you want them for. Are they going to be domestic cats, living in the house, snuggled by your fire and sleeping indoors; or are they going to be farm cats, living in stables and catching mice? You can't have both.
Farm cats aren't friendly. They are frightened of people and usually attack or run away from them.
Domestic cats catch a mouse now and then, but won't do it regularly, they're too lazy.

If you want cats to 'test' the dogs reactions, this would be out of the question. No reputable rescue would let you have cats for this purpose. The cats would be killed. (See the 'awful news' thread in which Karenjet's cat has been recently mauled by a dog.)

Are you being strictly truthful about what you want the cats for? Please give us more detail.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 00:13:42 AM »
Will you please explain clearly why and who wants kittens.

First you were asking for kittens for you, I think? Then it was for your friends farm, but he runs a dog rescue.

What exactly is the situation where these Kittens would be? Are they to be pets, farm cats and who would look after them , feed them get them vacinated etc etc?

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 22:55:57 PM »
Why do you want house cats but going to keep them outside? Not all cats will hunt, so this may not get rid of the rat problem. Who are the cats for you or your friend?

Get a ferret they are good rat catchers, and they can go on a lead.  ;D

Offline shane

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 20:55:42 PM »
hithere

i am looking for some cats that are friendly as i love my cats and if i have feral cats they will not come to me .and i am not putting them in with dogs

shane

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 23:10:48 PM »
Shane, can you make your post a little clearer?  What exactly is it you're looking for?  If you want cats to try the dogs with, then this is totally the wrong reason to have a cat.  It is not only cruel to put a cat in a potentially life threatening situation, but it is cruel on the dogs as well.  Not all cats like dogs and vice versa, I have a cat in at the moment and she will hunt my dogs down......cat's can do a lot a damage to a dog but a dog can kill a cat, not a good situation for a rescue to home a cat to.  I would ask your friend to consider rehoming the dogs and stating clearly to the potential owner that they may not be used to cats rather than going through what you are suggesting by your posts.  In a home environment, a cat and dog have more chance of being aquainted by being supervised properly and sensibly than by what it seems you are suggesting.  At the end of the day, the cats have to come first and a safe environment is paramount.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 18:38:37 PM »
we have people say to us whats the dog like with cats and we dont have a cat so that is why we wont one
Do you mean people who rehome a dog from your friend enquire if they are cat friendly? And you currently have no way of knowing.

I hadn't understood your original comment at all, Shane (it seems I am naive), but if Milly's Mum's interpretation is correct, and I think it is, I'm afraid that that's a totally unacceptable reason to have a cat.  As others have remarked, one dog or another is going to be aggressive towards cats - are your poor little kitten adoptees just wanted as some sort of live experiment?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 16:40:08 PM »
So, your mate rescue dogs on a farm, and he wants some cats that are friendly but will deal with a rodent problem.

we have people say to us whats the dog like with cats and we dont have a cat so that is why we wont one
Do you mean people who rehome a dog from your friend enquire if they are cat friendly? And you currently have no way of knowing.

If these dogs roam free then i dont think it would be safe to have cats onsite too. You never the true history and they may attack and kill.  :(

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 13:57:12 PM »
Shane, why are you specifically asking for kittens? Feral adults, or a colony, would be better for mousing. They would have been neutered by the rescue you get them from.
Doesn't your mate have contacts in the rescue world, from what I understand, it's a fairly close-knit group of people.

You can't have both a friendly cat who is a farm cat; farm cats are feral, which means they don't relate to people and are either shy or vicious. Domestic cats are too laid back to hunt much, apart from the very occasional mouse, as Ela says.

Have you and your mate considered the expense of these cats? Ela has already pointed out that they will need daily feeding and veterinary attention as required. If you have a colony, that amounts to quite an expense.

However, they pay their way in the work they do for you.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
Hi Shane - do I understand you right, you want some 'mousers' for your friend's farm, which also has a number of dogs?  It simply wouldn't be fair on house kittens to bring them there (and they wouldn't be any use for that anyway).  You should talk to your local rescue about the possibility of a (neutered) feral colony if that is the case...

Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

NB I have posted this same reply on the other thread, 'we're still waiting'.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
we are wonting cats that will come to you where fural cats i dont think would come to you and we have lots of dogs as my mate has a dog rescue

We would not place domestic cats on farms to act as working cats. I trust the dogs are always penned, otherwise there may be a problem. We all know our own dogs but the temperament and ways of a rescue are often unknown.

If you do get some cats please remember that they still need feeding twice a day and water need providing. If you feed them they will then catch mice for play and not just when they are hungry. They will also need regular flea and worm treatment. It is also very important to have the cats neutered/spayed as in that way not only will it give them a chance of a longer life it will help keep their minds on mouse play and not other things.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline shane

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 00:06:26 AM »
hi there

we are wonting cats that will come to you where fural cats i dont think would come to you and we have lots of dogs as my mate has a dog rescue

shane

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 19:03:31 PM »
Do you rescue dogs? What breed is he?

Feral cats definatley make better ratters than a domestic, they do more sleeping!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 16:11:57 PM »
hi all

i amjust wontin some cats for my mates farm to keep the mice down and we are a escue and we have people say to us whats the dog like with cats and we dont have a cat so that is why we wont one and mainly for a pet

Sorry I am a bit confused, some will say thick

Are you saying that you yourself want a pet cat/s and you will take it /them to a friends farm to help with the mouse population.? Or do you yourself live on the farm as you say we 'wont' one. Is the cat/s to live indoors or in the barns etc?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 16:15:38 PM by Ela »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 21:25:44 PM »
I note, from your previous posts, Shane, that you are in south Lincolnshire?  Is that right?

Offline shane

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 20:55:31 PM »
hi all

i amjust wontin some cats for my mates farm to keep the mice down and we are a escue and we have people say to us whats the dog like with cats and we dont have a cat so that is why we wont one and mainly for a pet

shane

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 18:26:40 PM »
Think the important thing is that only neutered cats/kittens are put on farms.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 17:48:40 PM »
What area are you in Shane cos rural Cp often have cats for farms that need homes.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
You prob need ferals if

Sound advice, I won't home 'normal kittens/cats to farms where they want to use them as working cats. There are so many working cats that are looking for employment.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 17:07:50 PM »
Dawn has plenty  ;)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 16:13:23 PM »
hi all

i was wonting to know if anyone on here would know where i could get some kittens from as my mate has a farm and we are wontin some cats for the farm any one if you can help please message me

thanks

shane

You prob need ferals if you want them as farm cats

Try ringing Celia Hammond

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 23:26:42 PM »
Hi Shane, what area are you in and will these kittens be kept indoors until they are old enough to venture outside or do you want them specifically for outdoors?

Link to CatChat