Author Topic: Need advice on kitten purchase.  (Read 64730 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2013, 14:47:09 PM »
http://www.yell.com/s/catteries-rawtenstall.html

photo is very small but shows purpose built outdoor cat runs, and says cats must be vaccinated, so definitely not a cattery to be suspicious about
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2013, 14:17:18 PM »
tbh bad news travels, I'm sure you'd have found something if it had a bad reputation, enjoy yours hols, she will probably hate you for a while when you get back!

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2013, 14:12:25 PM »
Times running short, I'm just going to have to hope for the best with this cattery.  Not got time to find anywhere else now, let alone go and check it out.  When I spoke to the guy at the cattery he did say they were pretty booked up, but could squeeze her in.  I'm dropping her off early afternoon tomorrow.

There's not really anyone I can ask to look after her either, next door on one side had a new baby yesterday morning (Joshua 5lb and something oz, bit premature so I "think" he's still at the hospital).

I don't really want to ask my mam & dad as they have proabably got better things to be doing than trailing over to mine twice a day to feed a cat they neither know or like. My dad isn't a big cat fan... to say the least.

She's staying at Dam Top Cattery in Rawtenstall, had a quick look on the tinternet and couldn't find any bad reviews... couldn't find any good ones either though, but like I said, the guy I spoke to on the phone seemed nice enough and I got a decent vibe off him so hopefully everything will be ok.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 22:51:24 PM by stevo »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »

Hope we haven't scared you off Stevo - it's not that we're trying to be negative, simply that we want everything to work well for you and Chuckles.

:hug: :hug:

we elected to trial a pet sitter after my Mum died - she was our pet sitter extraordinaire, and we grilled a fair few before we found a pair of ladies who we really took to and who our pets loved.  I bless our luck in finding them because they're absolute treasures, and look after our pets the way we would, and the way my Mum always did - food, cuddles, playtime, etc.

Hope you get sorted. 

Let us know how the paragliding goes......

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »
Your alternative is to get a cat sitter if you can get a reputable one who comes recommended.
Chuckles will then stay in her own home and you get the added bonus of someone keeping an eye on the place when you aren't around.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
You could always get someone to come into your house and feed her. Do you have someone nearby? There are people that cat sit or visit just to feed. Although not much time to organise if you are going tomorrow or is it next thu?   

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
Definitely check it out first.  There are very good catteries and not so good ones.  I don't want to worry you or put a damper on your trip (which sounds fab!) but good catteries tend to get booked up for peak times very early on (ie school holidays, christmas etc) so I would be a little wary of anywhere that has places available at this time of year at such short notice.  Of course it may be wonderful and there may be a perfectly good reason for them having space, but if you check it out then you'll know for sure and will be able to relax more when you're away knowing that she's being well looked after.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »

Gah - that darned, darned predictive text on Kindles!!   :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I've had mixed results with "after the cattery" - one of our little female cats, a black and white lady not unlike your Chuckles, used to cut us dead for a good 24 hours after returning home, yet Paddy (who'd never been in a cattery in his life and ended up going in one when he was about 10) didnt turn a hair, and was his equable self on returning home.  You will simply need to lavish the love, eat humble pie, grovel humiliatingly and walk over hot coals to get to her, but I daresay she'll forgive you.....  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2013, 22:35:06 PM »
excellent advice from Sue, though I would go for a cattery rather than a battery myself :evillaugh:

and I'd pack up some of those Gourmet tins when you take her in, so she doesn't feel too deprived whilst she's on her hols
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2013, 21:41:19 PM »
What a great opportunity Stevo.     ;D ;D

Sounds good 're the battery but to be honest I would make a point of going to see for yourself.  Websites don't always show an entirely truthful picture.  What arrangements do they have for illness - is there a vet on call?  What arrangements are in place to help prevent cat escapes?  Have they ever lost a cat in their care?  If so, how did they deal with it?  We know of some horrendous experiences on here of poor batteries, and would always suggest checking it out first-hand.  Contact the Council and ask if there have been any complaints.  Ask at your vet to see if they have any good or bad stories.

When you go away, you want to be able to relax knowing Chuckles is safe and well cared for.   :hug:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2013, 21:16:30 PM »
To cut a long story short, I found out tonight at 6pm (first heard about it at 8am this morning) that I'm going paragliding in France for 10 days this Thursday.  I'm going to have to leave Chuckles at a cattery!  I've spoken to some bloke at the cattery and booked her in but I've not had chance to go and make sure the place is ok.  To be fair, its only 5 mins down the road, the website looks good and the guy I spoke to seemed nice enough.  You think she is going to be ok ?   I've not left her for more than a couple of days before, the poor little mite isn't going to know whats going on... she's going to think I've abandoned her!!  :scared:

She will be alright won't she ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2013, 19:37:05 PM »
Try salmon without the smoked  :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #343 on: June 19, 2013, 23:27:57 PM »
are you feeding the little tins of Gourmet? if so, check out Zooplus, where you can buy in bulk cheaper than the supermarkets, and they have more varieties too

I had 60 tins delivered today
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2013, 22:18:59 PM »
what have you been feeding her?  Her coat is absolutely gleaming with good health!! 

You know I was only stroking her a couple of night ago and I thought her coat looks absolutely fantastic.  It's much better than when she moved in. 

I feed her them little tin things, I think they are made by Purina that you can get in the supermarket.  I didn't like the look of that Whiskers (sp?) she was eating from the rescue and I didn't like open partially eaten cans of cat food in my fridge either, no reason, just made my skin crawl.  We tried Sheba for a month or so, but while she ate it I got the impression that she wasn't right keen.  These little tin things though go down a treat, she loves them.  Only problem now is I'm getting sick to death of buying them, every time I go in Asda its another 10 - 14 tins.  Gonna have to look into getting it in bulk mail order I think  :shify:

She gets two tins of that and some of that Iams biscuit stuff in a separate bowl to snack on throughout the day.  I normally throw in a few Dreamies for her too in a morning, not every morning though....  yeah, most mornings.

Wafer thin ham, chicken for treats.  She especially likes the roast chicken thighs from Tesco's, just tear her bits of chicken off and eat the rest myself  :wow:

She won't eat fish she even turned her nose up at some Asdas extra special smoked salmon.  Tin of pilchards, wouldn't go near them.  Prawns, no chance.

Shes out in the back garden right now trying to catch herself something extra to munch on, she's lurking next to some bushes in wait.   She's not brought anything home yet...  but I feel its in the post.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »

Wow Stevo - what have you been feeding her?  Her coat is absolutely gleaming with good health!!   :wow:  She really is "yours" and so totally at home with you .

Love the baby spidies by the way!  ;D

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
She's being a proper panther in that long grass!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2013, 21:07:27 PM »
Great pics and Chuckles really enjoying her life with you  ;D ;D

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2013, 20:57:33 PM »
Good to hear your update stevo - Chuckles is looking fab and enjoying her garden hunting playground it seems :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2013, 20:49:46 PM »
True love it would seem!  :Luv: chuffed she is so happy with you   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2013, 19:58:58 PM »
She's a real beauty!

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2013, 19:57:28 PM »
Oh, and I found a load of baby spiders when I was taking the bin out, awesome stuff  ;D

Hope your all well.

Ste...

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #334 on: June 18, 2013, 19:54:48 PM »
Evening ladies!

Here's a few pics for you I took tonight when I got home from work.

Thought you might like them.

Hang on, there's more  :wow:

brb

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #333 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »
Thanks for the update Stevo. It's so lovely to hear how she has become so much a part of your life  :) :)

Thanks for the pics too. She is looking great  :Luv:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
I love these updates - especially with photos!

Me too.   ;D ;D

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #331 on: May 11, 2013, 15:28:25 PM »
I love these updates - especially with photos!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2013, 19:21:31 PM »
She's so growing into your life seamlessly  :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2013, 15:50:32 PM »
She's a great character, Stevo.  :Luv2: Not so sure she'd want to share her special human with another cat now  :cat rub:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2013, 15:41:43 PM »
Oh my Chuckles misses you when you are not there and she is gorgeous  :Luv2:

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2013, 14:59:36 PM »
have you thought anymore about getting her a friend?????!!!!

:evillaugh:   :briggin:    :naughty:   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #326 on: May 10, 2013, 14:58:23 PM »
great update, she is looking good!

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2013, 14:46:04 PM »
Hey everyone, it’s  Chuckles update time! 

It’s been just over five months since Chuckles moved in and I have to say, life is much better now!  I only really wanted a cat to start with as I was missing my ex’s cats – and I thought they were cool.  I didn’t get her because I was lonely in the house by myself, but as it turns out she’s providing company around the house which I didn’t realise I was missing.

She’s fast becoming my partner in crime (around the house anyway).

A few weeks ago I went out for a meal on the Saturday night and didn’t get home until 3am, upon returning home I was greeted as usual by Chuckles in the hallway, quick stroke,  then I went to bed.  The next day she made it very clear she was not impressed with me, probably as she had to spend the night in the house on her own (typical woman  :P).  All the next day she was giving me the cold shoulder, was about 7pm before I finally got a cuddle off her  :Luv:

Last weekend I went up to the Lakes for a weekend away with my friends, this meant leaving Chuckles on her own for three nights!  I instructed my mum on the feeding etc and left her to it.
We got back from the Lakes around lunch time on Monday, I had not heard anything  from my mum so I assumed that everything was ok.  Went in the house, dropped my bag and went hunting for my kitty.  I eventually found her mooching round the back garden.   I was expecting her to be far from impressed, in reality it would appear that she was REALLY pleased to see me.  She came running into the house and came straight over for strokes and cuddles :Luv2: :Luv: :Luv2:  For the next couple of days she was quite clingy, following me around the house (more than usual).  She even curled up on the settee with me for a few hours (she stopped doing this about a week after I got her when she discovered the windowsill, and my fidgeting).

Here’s some pics,  the one where she’s sitting on the bin I may have posted before (typing this in Word and can’t be bothered looking).  A couple of us lounging around on the bed watching tele and the one where she is sat up on the bed, is  giving me the “someone’s late getting out of bed and feeding me” look.

A bit thin on the ground with pictures – next time it’s nice I’ll try to get some better ones of her outside etc.

Hope your all well

Ste…

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
It was a lovely update Stevo  :Luv: To hear that you can't imagine life without Chuckles now is just so heartwarming  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »

Sheila's right.  Sometimes we don't realise how lonely we are until we have someone to share things with.

And it's not a pants update - we thrive on the minutiae of daily life spent wth cats.  :evillaugh:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2013, 00:05:22 AM »
 :shy: Eerm kissy noises - that'd be me then   :doh: Sometimes they work too well.  ;)

Nobody does better alone, Stevo  :(

Now you believe  :innocent: Honorary "Mad Cat Person" beckons. Be afraid - be very afraid.  :rofl:  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #321 on: April 15, 2013, 19:58:46 PM »
Yes definately need some pics  ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #320 on: April 15, 2013, 19:55:24 PM »
There's not really a lot to update about, everything's petty much the same as it has been.  The cat flap is now in full use, although she does seem to like hanging round the front room with me at the weekend   :Luv:

Not sure where shes gone now, I accidentally made the "kissy noises" which means treats (not sure who on here said to do that but it works like a charm), she got out of her bed and came over with the tail shaking in excitement so I had to go give her a piece of wafer thin ham.  She's not come back in the front room yet, she's probably upstairs harassing that poor snake.

One thing I will say about having Chuckles about the house.  I didn't realise just how much I was missing some company.  I can't imagine her not being here now.

Bit of a rubbish update this, I'll try to get some pics   :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #319 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

Hmph.  Bin far too long since we had a Chuckles update if you ask me.   ;) :)

Offline wuzzie

• Kitten
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2013, 00:55:05 AM »
You just gave me a great idea! A cat flap for the fridge! now if i can just train them to use the automatic can opener, then the world would be a more purrsful place  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2013, 14:22:29 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  You've got is well and truly sussed.  :)

Don't keep her waiting - get the packet open!  ;)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2013, 14:17:31 PM »
Sally scoffed that mouse I put in, so It'll be a trip to Viper & Vine at some point this week for a bag of fresh mice (unless Chuckles start earning her keep and catches me some!)

Is she still using the door herself?
Indeed, I nipped out on Saturday to get some shopping.  She left the house through the front door with me as I was leaving.  When I got home I found her favorite toy (the duck on a string), which was on my bed on the path to the front door.  She'd obviously nipped in and got it while I was out  :shify:

And this morning I woke up to the sound of the cat flap going and then again about 15 mins later.  Looks like she'd nipped out thinking that I was still asleep - if she know's I'm awake in the morning she'll keep pestering me until I get up and feed her.

Its safe to say that she has total hang of the cat flap now  :wow:

....  and standing by the fridge looking all hungry and unloved  :naughty:

Link to CatChat