Author Topic: Need advice on kitten purchase.  (Read 64600 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #395 on: August 30, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »

Thought of you this morning Stevo, at 4.45 a.m., as I was trying to dissuade Ross and Dickie from torturing a vole who'd taken refuge under the small sofa.    Luckily, once they lost interest and went back out, me and Daddy P were able to lift the sofa, and I managed to capture the terrified little fellow, who promptly bit me.  He was safely released back into the garden, and I hope he had the sense to get himself holed up somewhere safe.    :tired:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #394 on: August 29, 2013, 21:15:46 PM »
Oh, chuckles is going to luuurrrvve the frantic frenzies!!  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #393 on: August 29, 2013, 21:11:29 PM »
Chuckles is great and love the stories  ;D ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #392 on: August 29, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »

Well clearly because no self respecting cat would want to put a nice fresh vole on a pile of dirty laundry, now would they?  It was a gift for her Dad - you dont give your Dad a dirty vole.   Tsk!  :innocent:  And look what she got as a result of giving him a clean vole!  Now, she wouldnt have got that if it had, by dint of being dropped on a pile of dirty washing become a dirty vole. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #391 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
chucking up on the bed is the worst, followed by chucking up right in the middle underneath the bed, where you can't reach without moving everything - just console yourself with the thought that at least you knew she had upchucked - stepping in a pile of vomit when you've just got up is not for the fainthearted

and surprised no one has asked why you  had a pile of clean laundry on the floor, just waiting for the addition of a nice freshly-killed vole to top it off :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #390 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

Oh noes!!! Der short, snappy handle is not gud!   :-:  Oh no sirree - tension and excitement in the Chuckles household until replacements arrive (and boy - what a lot of replacements!!  :wow: :wow:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
Hmmmm, just been having a quick mooch round on the Purrs shop

Order in  :wow:

Frenzy FireFly Refill - Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys    
Feather Frenzy refill - Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys    
Ribbon Frenzy refill - Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys    
Flying Frenzy Interactive Cat Toy - 39 Inch Single One Part Rod    

There's 18 quids worth of feather fueled fun right there!  I can't wait for this lot to turn up, we were getting a bit bored of the current toys and our favorite toy at the moments handle has snapped twice so its dead short now and it does not whip around as well as it once did and all of the feathers have come out.

Hopefully this will be a suitable replacement  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Was she actually sick Stevo, or was it a hairball?

Oh it was proper puke, was everywhere  :sick:  It took more than a pack of disinfectant wipes to clean that lot up, had to pick most of it up by hand  :sick: :sick: :sick:

The poor little babe, I do wish she would take it outside!  at least she got off the bed to be sick !!   :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

Oh Stevo - my sympathies - the boys often bring mice and voles (and even a rabbit) home- we spent over half an hour one early dawn last week trying to coax a mouse out from underneath the TV unit so we could let it loose in the garden.   :tired: :tired:

Am so glad you gave her cuddles though - after all, she was just making sure you didnt go without your own vole  :Luv:  cos she loves her Dad!

Carol's Biggles regularly brings home voles, and half voles, and they can make him puke a lot too.  Must be a vole thing.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
Was she actually sick Stevo, or was it a hairball? If it was 'proper' sick then it might have been the vole that upset her tum.
My Toby who is long-haired often brings up a hairball during the night. I keep antibacterial cleaning wipes in the bathroom and usually use those to clean up any mess, along with a disinfectant spray.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2013, 08:31:15 AM »
Well, it was bound to happen at some point.  10:45pm last night I'm laid in bed watching a rather stimulating documentary about extracting dinosaur DNA from fossils when Chuckles comes wandering into my bedroom, meows and drops a dead vole on my carpet - right next to the pile of clean washing !!   She was not impressed when I threw the poor thing out of the window but it was dead as a door knocker.

Then, not content with just a dead animal attack - at the stroke of midnight she pukes all over my bedroom floor / landing.

Oh, I was absolutely buzzing cleaning that mess up  :sick:

After 20 mins of running about with the washing up bowl, food bags, Mr Muscle and a green scrubber I finally managed to get the place cleaned up.  I gets back in bed and Chuckles jumps up on the bed and sits down next to me waiting for cuddles !!   Which she got obviously - my poor babe had just been sick !!  :hug:

I hope she does not make a habit of bringing dead animals home though - can do without dealing with that kind of thing on a daily basis  :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #384 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
Just to add my two pennworth  :)  Chuckles is a beauty and obviously very content from pic  :Luv2:  :Luv2: :Luv2:

I wouldn't worry about trimming claws unless you notice a problem.  All 7 of ours are indoor/outdoor too and we have no problems with claws growing too long.  I have a yellow sticker inside Ruby's vaccination card to check her claws at booster time due to her extra toes though and her dew claws are on her back legs rather than front.  Sounds weird but is actually very cute  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:45:09 AM by Rosella moggy »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »

She's a very laid back girl, side-swipe aside.  :Luv:  Like Kirst, I've only ever had to sort Paddy's claws, and that was after he got to 17, and they were just a bit too troublesome for him unclipped.  I think Chuckles' should be fine without trimming.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2013, 22:53:41 PM »
She's a real cutie! I cut Beavis's claws ( and before you ask, no I don't have a Butthead) as he's an old boy and doesn't get out much to wear them down. The others are active enough outside so I dont need to bother with them :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #381 on: August 24, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
Aw, she's just gorgeous!  :Luv:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #380 on: August 23, 2013, 19:17:50 PM »
A quick pic of me and Chuckles snoozing on the Settee,  I think this is the day after I got home from my hols.  Looks happy to be home  ;D

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2013, 18:57:51 PM »
sweet !! I've tried to get her used to me touching her paws, its the only time she took a swipe at me... drew blood!!!  was only a quick swat though, can't really blame the girl, might have had a rough couple of years before I got her  :Luv:

She's a little cutie for 99.9% of the time  :hug:

My little chickalin  :wow:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #378 on: August 23, 2013, 18:50:17 PM »
That's good then, she knows how to keep her own nails in trim, stop worrying.  ;)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #377 on: August 23, 2013, 18:47:39 PM »
Those claws that don't abrade down would be bitten down and you may catch her biting her nails from tome to time?

I have  :scared:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #376 on: August 23, 2013, 18:45:07 PM »
Worms: you can get spot-on treatments or mix it with the food powders from on-line suppliers. I tend to use a spot-on every six months then ask the vet for a multi-wormer with the boosters.

I use these http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/droncit-spot-on-cat-wormer-4-pack.html which only deal with tapeworm but that's what my lot tend to suffer from most.

Claws: She probably won't need much attention while she's young and has access to the outdoors as the toe claws will abrade naturally. Those claws that don't abrade down would be bitten down and you may catch her biting her nails from tome to time? Only as domestic cats get older, less mobile and lose their gnawing teeth or do not have access to the outdoors, do their claws need human intervention by way of clipping.

Wild cats also have few problems because of this natural abrasion, but don't tend to live as long as domestic moggies so the old age issues don't occur.

Keep one eye on her dew (thumb) claws on her front feet, these are her spurs and CAN ingrow and become painful if she's not biting them down herself.

As she's an outdoor cat and if you do want to clip her claws, try to do a couple on each foot at a time. This allows her to maintain her escape grip and weaponry with the remaining claws.

Like a Grey Goose with lime and soda (stream) myself! Cheers, Stevo!  :beer:

Loving your proper relationship with Chuckles, you have a real understanding of her which is very heartwarming.  :) :) :)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #375 on: August 23, 2013, 18:26:21 PM »
To be honest I don't think she'd appreciate another kitty around the house, she has plenty of friends!  Next door on my left has two, next door on the right have one and next door to them have four !!

Then there's the marauding tom and that ginger one from round the back, its cat central round here.  Two dogs too, ones a pain in the rear but the others a proper dog, big male black lab - quiet and dead friendly, good dog that one.  The other just winds me up, barks all the time - well the barking has stopped since we had words...  Love the family but can't stand the dog...  My Chuckles isn't too keen either  :briggin:

If I'm in a fit state tomorrow I might have a look out to find a vet and get her registered with them etc and get some of this spot on stuff.  This is looking debatable at the moment as its only 18:15 and I'm already on my 3rd can.  I only bought 6 though on the way home, then its the Grey Goose I've got in the freezer.  Quality stuff but its Vimto as a mixer... knew I should have bought 12 cans  :-[

Not to worry, I'll probably be asleep in an hour  :Crazy:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2013, 18:14:47 PM »
I have to take one of mine to have his claws clipped every few months, as they have a tendency to curl right round, and have pierced a pad before now - besides which, the click clacking on the laminate flooring drives me nuts - it only costs £8 at the vets - I wouldn't bother though if there are no obvious problems

as for cutting them yourself, cats are, in my experience, OK with having their front claws clipped at home as long as you have a decent pair of clippers, but the back legs are a bigger problem, as they are more powerful - and you might be like me and so afraid of cutting off too much that it really isn't worth the struggle

you can get a spot on wormer from the vet, which you might find easier to apply than tablets - the prescription only wormers are generally more effective anyway than over the counter ones
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #373 on: August 23, 2013, 18:04:17 PM »
Chuckles is fine.  I get the impression that she wasn't too impressed about being sent to the cattery, when I dropped her off she looked really scared, was heart breaking  :(

I won't be sending her anywhere from now on.  A couple of the neighbours asked me why I didn't just ask them to feed her, I probably will next time.

I don't think the cattery fed her the food that I instructed them to feed her as she had a bit of an upset tummy a couple of days after I got her home, its all good now though.

Been away from Purrs for a bit, but just read this whole thread and have the biggest, sloppiest grin on my face! :Luv: :Luv:

Bit of a big read is this, its been going on for a while now this thread, feels like ages ago since I started it.  Had some great advise and there are some really nice people here.

Love you ladies  :wow:

Oh one thing while I am here, whats the deal with clipping the claws?  There is no way shes going to let me cut them?  is it required?  They seem to cope ok in the wild and I keep checking them and the look fine but she is on the scratching post alot.  Not sure what to do really, she doesnt like me messing with her paws.  She's a proper set tho, can see them while were playing with the toys, could proper take your eye out !!  She's not been wormed in 6 months either, wont eat the tablets.  Recon I should just take her the vets and get him to do it ?

Her boosters are due next month too.

(edited to add the bit about the booster :) )
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 18:06:30 PM by stevo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #372 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »

Yeah, does make you grin, doesn't it?   Stevo, how's Chuckles doing now that you've been home for a bit?  And hoping you have no more plans to go off and do Derring-Do stuff again? 

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2013, 22:51:10 PM »
Been away from Purrs for a bit, but just read this whole thread and have the biggest, sloppiest grin on my face! :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2013, 15:37:14 PM »
Wewlcome home Stevo, I'm glad that you are back in one piece!

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2013, 14:57:16 PM »
OMG Stevo - had you ever thought about crown green bowling or something equally more boring instead ??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
glad you got back safe, sorry it wasn't quite the holiday you hoped for, she has probably forgiven you already!

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
Welcome back Steve, after your rather eventful holiday  :shocked:

I'm sure Chuckles will soon settle back into her usual routine.  :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »

Blimey stevo - that's a bit close to the wire sort of a holiday, isn't it?  Glad you made it home safe and sound, and glad that Chuckles was so pleased to have you home.

I agree with Sheila - she'll probably have thought you'd left her and she was back out on the street as it were.  Thankfully though, sound slike she was well looked after, and delighted to be home.

A similar thing happened with our last dog, Tess.  We left her in a kennel for a week while we were away for the first time after my Mum died.  When we got her home again however, her confidence was totally crushed.   It took us months to get her back to the dog she'd been before.  That was when we decided to go for a reliable pet sitter instead, and fell on our feet with Lynne and Sue, who are both amazing ladies, and really loved by our pets.  It's a great idea if you can get someone you're happy with, but I have to say that I "interrogated" a number of potentials before we found someone we were 100% happy with.   And if you dont find anyone in your area, then at least the cattery sounds like they took very good care of Chuckles for you.

Glad you're back home, and glad you didnt end up tree-bound (or worse!)  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2013, 21:02:59 PM »
Blimey Stevo, sounds like you all had lucky escapes. :shify: So pleased you're back. Do the cattery have emergency contacts with your family in case, gulp, you don't come back next time?? Or are unavoidably delayed? :scared:

As for Chuckles' expression when you went to collect her, she probably had just got the idea into her head that she was back in prison for ever and ever, and had given you up as a lost cause  :( bless her simple heart.

If I were you I'd look into the prospect of professional cat sitters for next time, she's clearly happiest at home and I find the added security of having someone coming into the house twice daily to open and close curtains, pick up the mail and switch lights on/off an added comfort. Plus the catsitter has keys to your house which they keep until you get home safely, so the cat is safe and fed or at least accessible, until your return.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2013, 22:14:17 PM »
Well I'm home.  The paragliding was a bit of a disaster, only got three flights in all holiday.  On the second day my mate suffered a massive collapse (his paragliding canopy went badly wrong) and he came down in the top of a tree half way up a mountain on the side of a sheer cliff face... lucky to be alive although he only suffered a scratch on his leg!  He had to be rescued by the helicopter, take off was closed for 2 hours.  Then it just rained solid for 4 days.  On Wednesday a Polish pilot was killed, we ended up talking to a Bulgarian pilot who watched him go down, was first on the scene and tried to resuscitate him - why either of them were flying in that weather is anyone's guess.  That coupled with various other tree landing by at least two other people, by the end of the holiday I was sick of hearing that helicopter.  They do a fantastic job though.

I was missing Chuckles so when the decision to come home early was made I didn't put up much of a fight  :innocent:

Got home at 3am this morning and went down to the cattery first thing this morning to get her, when I turned up she was asleep in her bed.  I shouted her and she woke up and looked at me, I don't think knew what was happening.  I tried to get her back in her box but the guy at the cattery had to help me.  Anyway I got her home and she is clearly glad to be back  ;D

It looks like she was really well looked after at the cattery, the guy there described her as a "pleasant little cat". 

She's had a sleep on the bed and a scout round out the front of the house.  Doesn't appear to be "too" mad at me, in fact she's been giving me loads of cuddles  :wow:

Glad to be home, glad to be back in my own cat hair riddled bed   :naughty:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
Aww, Steve  :hug: :hug:

As Sue said, we've all been there. I'm so lucky that for a very long time I've not had to go through that experience because my next door neighbour who is also a very good friend, looks after my two when I go away (and I look after her 3 when she goes away) and I have absolute confidence in her.

When I come home, Toby follows me around for about 3 days but Molly looks at me like I'm something the cat dragged in  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I'm sure Chuckles will be expecting some serious sucking up from you when you get back from your hols  ;)

Have a great time and try not to worry  :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #362 on: August 01, 2013, 22:25:57 PM »
Sasa didnt let me stroke her again for 8 years!

However I suspect the cattery she is in is way better than the one I used and Misa and Sasa were both really upset.

I had to go to hospital in London and decided to stay a couple of days and I have never had a holiday proper since 1994 when Kocka moved herself in.

However I think Chuckles will just love you more when she comes home.........well in time  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #361 on: August 01, 2013, 15:07:56 PM »
she will no doubt be fine (may give you the cold shoulder when she gets home!) but you will worry and feel guilty every minute of the day.  welcome to cat ownership slavery.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #360 on: August 01, 2013, 14:39:49 PM »
She'll be ok once she settles in but just be prepared for a bit of a strop when she comes home. It might well be worth looking into a cat sitter next time.

Enjoy paragliding

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2013, 14:22:31 PM »
oh  :( she will be fine but of course we all feel guilty!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2013, 14:20:39 PM »

Aw Steve - I know - think we've all been there.   :hug: :hug:  she probably thinks that she's done something wrong and being cast out again, and after such a cushy gaffe at your place.  But, the time will soon pass, and you're entitled to a holiday (although you may not think so by the time you get back  :evillaugh:)

The place looks like it has a double mesh outside too, so not easy for a cat to escape.  Glad you felt reassured.  Chuckles will be fine, am sure, and when you get back you can make sure you make a real fuss of her.

Now go, and enjoy your hols.   :hug: :hug:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2013, 14:14:03 PM »
She's gone  :scared:

Was the first time I've had to get her back in the carry box thing too, all in all it was a harrowing experience.  She knew exactly what the box was for the moment she saw it, could see the expression on her face change and she tried to do a runner.  She did NOT want to go in the box.  The poor mite cried all the way there, thank god its only 2 mins down the road. Then I cried when I got home.  Then I started balling again on Tesco's car park.  Better get myself composed sharpish ...

She wasn't happy, you could tell by the look in her eyes - she thought she was being abandoned - I feel awful.  You could tell she was scared  :(

On the plus side, the cattery looked spot on.  The people there were really friendly and the cells had heaters and things and a little bed.  The guy showed me round and we had a bit of a chat.  He's put my mind at ease about the accommodation anyway.  It did look a pro setup.  So I was happy about that, well, as happy as you can be.

Suppose I'd better get back to my packing. 

I'll be ok in a few hours.  I dread to think what I'd be like if I had kids, starting to feel a bit guilty on my mam & dad too about some of the stunts I've pulled over the years.  My mum must have been worried sick.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #356 on: July 31, 2013, 14:58:47 PM »

Everything should go smoothly Stevo, and needs must etc.    :hug: :hug:  Anyway - you know what we're all like - Crazy!  :innocent: :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat