Author Topic: Need advice on kitten purchase.  (Read 64756 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2013, 14:32:51 PM »
I totally agree with Sue, Stevo. Get the catflap sorted so if she does hightail it when you let her out she has the ability to get back in without you leaving the door open all day.  :shify:

You can prop the flap open using clothes pegs until she gets the hang of opening it for herself. I'd also strongly advise getting a micropchip catflap to deter visitors, food thieves and foxes following her in.

I'd also get her a harness for her first forays into the big wide world, take her for a walk to the end of the street and back, maybe around the block, but certainly until you can feel her pull back towards your house when she gets spooked. Once she's proved she knows her way home you'll be happier to let her out by herself.

Here's Theo learning the ropes at our place, he was quite happy to explore on the lead for a few days before setting out on his own.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
Always a tricky one this Steve.  If it was me, I'd get a flap sorted first and wait for a nice day when you can spend time outside with her while she's exploring for the first few times.  At least if you have a flap fitted and she does take off for a bit of unaccompanied adventuring there's a better chance of her accessing her home in safety. Sounds like she was asking you about the world outside - silly as it sounds, she's learnt to trust you, and wants to know what you think about "out there."  If you do her the favour of showing her and being there with her, it reinforces the bond between you.   :)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
I was going to start a new thread for this but I think I'll keep this one going until, well the point of this post really.

Do I let her outside!  Its been just over 6 weeks since she moved in.  Lol, I'd say she's pretty settled.  While I was getting her breakfast ready this morning she was at the window in the back door looking out.   I wandered over to give her a stroke and I got this meow... I know she was saying she wanted to go out for a bit.

Now the home visit lady said to keep her in for at least 6 weeks, but the rescue said 2 months.  I've not got round to getting the flap fitted yet either.

What do I do, let her out this morning for a bit or keep her in for  a while longer.  Personally I get the feeling she'd be ok,  but seeing as I've only 6 real week of cat experience I think its probably best to ask some more experienced people.

Do I liberate Chuckles or keep her banged up for a few more week, or at least until I get the cat flap fitted ?

Aaarrrgghhh, advice please  :Crazy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2013, 22:45:03 PM »
Oh Stevo cant believe its a month!

Chuckles sounds one happy cat  ;D ;D

Exactly what I was thinking - only seems like 5 mins since we were all getting excited about her imminent arrival.  It sounds as though she's settled right in.

shredded sheets?  cat hair?  all par for the course when you're a crazy cat lady/man  ;)  the cat hair helps to keep you warm in the winter.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2013, 20:46:02 PM »

I know!! Where on earth does the time go?

So glad she's settled in well, it sounds as if she is enjoying living in your household  :Luv2:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2013, 13:23:56 PM »
one of the advantages of encroaching old age is needing glasses  - the advantage being that leaving them off makes things like cat hair, muddy pawprints and scattered litter vanish like magic :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Chuckles sounds one happy cat  ;D ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

Liz, just noticed - we've got that self same blanket  :evillaugh:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
Thats some of my oindoor only mob at noight its like the changing of the guard as the indoor/outdoor mob sleep with me :shocked:

I use white and cream bedding and find the blanket keeps the majority of the cat hair at bay
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
Me too Dawn   :) :Luv:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
love that pic!

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
Stevo if you think you have problems with cat hair :rofl:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »

Chuckles got an elbow in the back this morning, she decided that it was necessary to sleep on the right hand side of the bed on the 6 inch gap behind me, rather than on the rest of the king size double.  Didn't know she was there until I turned over to hit the snooze on the alarm.

Had a proper look at the duvet cover... its ruined.  Needed a new one anyway ;)

I got out the shower this morning, had a glance in the spare room - and the staring continues!

Who's going to win?  cat or snake !!!   :rofl:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
Stevo, welcome to the world of being a cat owner  :rofl:  Long ago I gave up worrying about the pulled threads on my duvet cover, and for that matter the pulled threads in the stair carpet, which I swear Toby only does to get my attention because he knows it winds me up.

I sounds like Chuckles has settled in so well.  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:40 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   Ah.  Um.  Yes.  Maybe we shoulda warned you about the duvet shredding.  ;)  I had to replace a duvet set recently and assessed it in terms of thread strength - my sis was laughing when I rejected the rather ephemeral set I'd been considering on the grounds of "what with the lads racing round on the bed and brawling this won't last 5 minutes"

I wonder what Chuckles is thinking, when she contemplates Sally?  I wonder is it "WTF?!!"  :-: or is is it more "I speak Parseltongue, do you?"  :shify:

Really glad to hear she's now well and truly at home and grown into your life.  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: ;D ;D :)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2013, 00:28:07 AM »
Hey - well its been four weeks to the day since Chuckles moved in  :wow:

Yep, she's settled in fine.  She's not really taking up space on the settee these days, she's a windowsill girl, got the radiator under it so its toasty warm.  That and she gets to look out the window all day. 

At the moment it's

"Cat vs Snake - the stare off!"

Sally (the snake) came out from under her piece of wood the day before yesterday and I suspect Chuckles clocked her for the first time.  Shes now mesmerized with the snake tank.  She disappeared a couple of hours ago, I found her sat in the spare room gazing at the
 tank.  I coaxed her back into my bedroom before, she sat on the bed for about 10 mins and she's skulked back off.  I'll bet you a pound to a penny she's watching for Sally.   You should have seen them last night, both just sat there for ages motionless just staring at each other.   I don't think Chuckles is too impressed cos she seems quite jumpy when she's in the spare room now, lol, I'm sure she'll settle down   ;D

Other than that everything's fine, she absolutely trashing my bedsheets, my own fault for winding her up with the duck on a string though.   Somehow the toy has ended up in the drawer in my bedside table.  She's pulled all the material on the duvet cover with her claws while chasing it about.

Cat hair everywhere, I'm having to wash my bed sheets every week..... every week !!!  Its not right I tell you  ;)

Eh up, shes just come wandering back in and jumped on the bed, she knows its time to go to sleep.  It is half 12.  Better go to sleep, up for work in six hours.

nighty night  :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2013, 17:50:46 PM »
How are you and Chuckles getting along Stevo? Hope all is going brilliantly well and that she is allowing you some room on the settee   :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2013, 16:49:55 PM »
Sasa has been here for over 7 years and she still scratches the carpet on the stairs!

She has tortitude and when I hear her I shout SASA and she looks at me in astonishment.........WOT me? and then carries on scratching.....sigh

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2013, 16:21:39 PM »
You might want to consider trimming her claws
Don't think we're ready for that yet!  Besides, the scratching isn't that bad  :innocent:

who knows to seperate the washing!!!
I have too, no ones gonna do it for me.  No matter how much I dislike doing it.  Besides, the actual washing isn't that bad, its the ironing I don't like  >:(  And I have to wear pants & shirt for work.

The problem I have now is drying the said washing, Chuckles' litter tray is where I used too put the maiden and I don't want to put it back up in the spare room in case it freaks her out and she decides to avoid the tray.  Kitchens too cold, right now everything's draped over the radiators and curtain poles.

Think I need a bigger house  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2013, 14:51:28 PM »
You might want to consider trimming her claws .. this will reduce the scratching  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,33470.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2013, 14:32:32 PM »
double sided tape worked for my cats.  after they shredded my leather furniture i put it on the sides of the new sofa.  only took about a week for them to "get" it.  could try that on your bottom stair
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »
lol poor Stevo.

He isn't the only one. When I met my OH i didn't like cats, and he did. Now we are both mad about them and he also knows how to sort the washing. Not so good at taking it out of the machine, but can't have everything.

Its lovely how open you are about Chuckles. About you got her a pal, before she completely gets you wrapped around her paws.

Nicky

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »

Well, I suppose I'd better get up.  Her ladyship wants feeding and them darks are not going to put themselves in the washer.

That's it the woman on here are finally going to be tipped over the edge - not only a man that openly loves cats but who knows to seperate the washing!!!

Shut the fridge door..... How are you single!!! Lol 😉
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
the only thing is she has been doing that bugs me is  using my bottom step on the stairs as a scratching post, and even that is not the end of the world.  We are combating this by clapping my hands like the home visit lady suggested.

Mine do that too! I solved it by putting a scratching post next to the bottom step, and now they use that instead.  You can also get flat scratching pads which you can attach to the stairs if a separate scratching post doesn't work  :evillaugh:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
I know what the ladies meant   :hug:  However, I doubt very much you would have used the word "manfully" if you had seen me watching that Too Cute program on the tv yesterday  :evillaugh:   I was suitably appalled at myself - "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww  :Luv2:  :wow:

The bedsheets are fine, for the most part she's very well behaved.  Not a single litter problem so far and she's not waking me up at the crack of dawn.  In fact the only thing is she has been doing that bugs me is  using my bottom step on the stairs as a scratching post, and even that is not the end of the world.  We are combating this by clapping my hands like the home visit lady suggested.

Chuckles' name tags arrived yesterday too, going to try to get one fitted on the collar later.  I get the feeling that this is going to be easier said than done. 

Well, I suppose I'd better get up.  Her ladyship wants feeding and them darks are not going to put themselves in the washer.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
So pleased this is working so well that you don't really mind too much about the hairy bedsheets  :evillaugh: 

Steve, I have the same problem with the auto email notifications, but if you go to the bit which contains the "reply" button you'll find a "notify" button which you can manually select.  You'll need to do it for each thread you're following but it saves missing out  :) 

what the ladies mean, Stevo, is that you're the dream man - suitably besotted with your cat and cats generally, and more than willing to share that with us shamelessly (which in our eyes equates to manfully  ;) )

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »
Ah glad the towel on the bed has been adopted... Honestly it's been a life saver for me! I'm the opposite to you- white cat with dark bed sheets! Perhaps I need to consider getting white or cream bed sheets lol!

Anyway lovely you two had a lazy day.... Very rock n roll but nothing beats a lazy day with cats lol :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2013, 00:27:50 AM »
Hmmm, I've stopped getting emails when a new post is added to the thread.  Not to worry  :)

Well its been just over a week since the arrival of Chuckles, we seem to be getting on really well.  We've had a nice lazy day, she's spent most of it sitting on the windowsill above the radiator keeping nice and warm looking out at the snow.  We watched a program on (I think it was) Animal Planet this morning called "Too Cute" about three groups of kittens and it was - too cute...  lol, made me feel like a real man!!  ;D  I think Chuckles enjoyed it, she sat right in front of the tele watching most of it  :evillaugh:

We had a marathon session with the duck on a string earlier.  Must have been playing with it for a good hour, she's asleep at my feet now on the bed  :Luv:

I've gone with the towel on the bed, washed the bed sheets this morning and there was a disturbing amount of hair on the duvet cover  :Crazy:  Might got for a drive out tomorrow and get a brush, snow permitting.

Quote from: Bonkers Mad!!! on Yesterday at 08:33:09

what a lovely thread.  Chuckles is beautiful and i think i am in love with you Stevo  :rofl:

Bonkers! We're sharing him y'know (and there's a queue)  :shy:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :Luv2: :rofl:  :hug:    ;D

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2013, 13:10:56 PM »
 :rofl: I'm loving this thread.  Stevo, as for the hairy bedding - a wet rubber glove (on your hand of course) gets the fur off quite well before you wash the cover, then tumble drying gets the rest off so Chuckles' bed is nice and hair free for her.  My 'bedroom' cat Jess (she hates all other cats) tries to sleep actually on my head and sticks her claws in my lip if I wriggle too much.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
 :-[ whoops sorry stevo

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
what a lovely thread.  Chuckles is beautiful and i think i am in love with you Stevo  :rofl:

Poor bloke, we'll probably never see him again now! :evillaugh:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2013, 01:13:08 AM »
After a while, Cats just accept comings and goings as normal in the house. Might just glance at you and lift an eye open to see if there is anything for them. I always give my cat a pet snack as a reward for being good :rofl: : :rofl: while I've been out for a few hours. He soon livens up when he hears the packet open :shify:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2013, 22:32:14 PM »
They are all great till the twice yearly vets visits then they revert :rofl:  Well except that gorgeous grey boy Blue trapped him 5 years ago got all the usual stuff done and we have never been that close since - he does however like all the comforts the staff provide :rofl:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2013, 21:55:18 PM »
Steve if you think you have problems with hair this is a bunch of my ferals on our Super Kingsize bed :rofl:

I have to say they dont look THAT feral to me liz  :evillaugh:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2013, 20:27:18 PM »
Those cats all on the bed look really contended :innocent:

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2013, 20:02:07 PM »
this thread makes me so happy!!  ;D

my three know my routine so well that if i come home before 5 they ignore me till five, and if i come home after 530 i have a very angry chloe in my window giving me death glares.  ( I am allowed half an hour of leeway.....!) :rofl:

also, very strange, but most days i find a large indent in my bed.... as if someone was using the pillows? and sometimes there are two little indents at the foot of my bed too..... i cant imagine what is causing them...... :scared:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2013, 18:06:40 PM »

Liz - your piccie looks like a "Where's Wally" pic.  :evillaugh:

or 'Spot the Odd One Out'
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat