Author Topic: Going Bald!  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Going Bald!
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 20:58:56 PM »
I spent a year tableting Max and then he has the throid removed but sadly a bot still left so back on the tablets, it is however served on a human side plate so he thinks its a treat and gets 3 lumps of Pate 2 with and one without :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 13:17:28 PM »
As Tiggy's Mum suggested, have you tried Zylkene... it's a capsule not a tablet so you pull it apart and sprinkle on his favorite food. My vet views it as more of a food supplement than a medication as it's a natural product that can be taken long term.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 00:01:35 AM »
. . . so he is now on a homeopathic remedy.  It's been a week now but I'm not seeing any sign of improvement yet but perhaps it will take a few weeks.

One of my mum's cats started losing her tummy fur after spaying - not a good look on a persian.  She was offered, and tried, conventional medicines first (not sure what, steroids from memory but this was a long time ago) but they didn't do much.  Someone suggested a local homeopathic vet - my mum was more than a bit sceptical about this (I think words such as "mumbo jumbo" and "placebo effect" were muttered), but gave it a go.

Josie's fur did grow back but it took time - remember, a cat's spay shave often doesn't look much different a week after the op.   I hope the homeopathic route is as successful for Harvey and he starts sprouting over the next month or so.

:)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 21:58:21 PM »
If tableting is an issue we have a Hyper T boy and a few suspicous feral and I use M & S Salmon pate with the pill all rolled in it they thin they are getting a treat and is an odd way they are

Thanks but unfortunately Harvey got wise to all tricks like that a long time ago. He won't even eat wet food now as I think he thinks I'm up to no good and poisoning him with tablets.  If only he would see that it would be less stressful than me trying to get them down his throat.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 21:54:20 PM »
I'm adding a suggestion of Rescue Remedy in his water as a basic, Angela. Just a couple of drops each day. Folk swear by it. Good for people nerves too  :shify: :hug:

Sam's overgrooming has indeed stopped completely after the hormone treatment, but my vet did mention it CAN have side effects in weaker cats of increased risk of diabetes? I think he said. Thankfully Sam is a good solid boy (touch wood) but this might not be a valid option for Harvey.  :hug:

Thanks. I might try the Rescue Remedy - I have another cat but it won't do him any harm to have it too. He gets stressed too when Harvey's at the vets so might help him.

They seemed to think anything else wouldn't be any good because of his health and medication so homeopathic was really the only way to go.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 21:40:57 PM »
If tableting is an issue we have a Hyper T boy and a few suspicous feral and I use M & S Salmon pate with the pill all rolled in it they thin they are getting a treat and is an odd way they are
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 21:23:30 PM »
I'm adding a suggestion of Rescue Remedy in his water as a basic, Angela. Just a couple of drops each day. Folk swear by it. Good for people nerves too  :shify: :hug:

Sam's overgrooming has indeed stopped completely after the hormone treatment, but my vet did mention it CAN have side effects in weaker cats of increased risk of diabetes? I think he said. Thankfully Sam is a good solid boy (touch wood) but this might not be a valid option for Harvey.  :hug:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 20:06:25 PM »
Meant to post a reply last week regarding Harvey's progress.   His cardiologist referred him to one of the vets at the practice that had more experience and knowledge in this field and Harvey has been to see her - Harvey is known to her so she knows all about his health history.

So, we've come to the conclusion that Harvey is stressed (it all points in that direction as it's ever since he's been put on more tablets which he hates and more visits to the vets which he hates) so because of the other medication he is on due to his heart murmur and chylothorax he hasn't been able to get steriods or other medication that would have helped............so he is now on a homeopathic remedy.  It's been a week now but I'm not seeing any sign of improvement yet but perhaps it will take a few weeks.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 19:22:29 PM »
This is complicated. I'd ask your vet about the female contraceptive hormone injection which is also used to break these cycles.

We have had a great result in that our overgroomer has completely stopped since his injection last week. I can ask my vet for the name of the product if you like?

That's great and I'm really pleased to hear that's its been successful. Will ask cardiologist on Monday about it.

Discovered I shouldn't even be trying to distract him when he's doing it as he'll know what I'm up to and will start grooming in secret.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 19:19:23 PM »
Am wondering if the Depo-Provera injection is what you are referring to Sheila and also wonder if this info may be of any use Angela?

http://www.animalbehavior.net/Library/Feline/PPM/CatSelfMutilation.htm

That's fantastic - thank you. Really like the behaviour tips they have and will definitely take them on board.
Will ask the vet about that injection and see what they say - in fact I'll ask the cardiologist on Monday as I really value his opinion.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 16:36:55 PM »
Thats great info Rosella  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Am wondering if the Depo-Provera injection is what you are referring to Sheila and also wonder if this info may be of any use Angela?

http://www.animalbehavior.net/Library/Feline/PPM/CatSelfMutilation.htm

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
This is complicated. I'd ask your vet about the female contraceptive hormone injection which is also used to break these cycles.

We have had a great result in that our overgroomer has completely stopped since his injection last week. I can ask my vet for the name of the product if you like?

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Of course other cats both in the domestic residence AND strange cats arriving outside the home can create stress. We had a stray unneutered tom pitch up in our kennel for a while. He was never allowed inside the house but it did upset the balance which caused an outbreak of territorial peeing indoors from the resident cats.

Stress is a non-exact science. All sorts of things can cause it from a house move, new additions to the family, change of diet, even moving a piece of furniture can create a hole in the sanctity of your cat's existence, and until you've eliminated the variables its very hard to identify one single thing as a sole stressor.

As with humans, anti-depressants are available and can work wonders if the cause cannot be pinned down to environmental factors. Talk to your vet if nothing seems to be working.

There are steroid injections available too which work on a hormone basis. These may help but can have negative  side effects, so again your vet will only use these if all other possibilities have been tried.

Are you flea free at home? One of my cats has quite severe flea affected dermititis which leads to him balding his tummy and inner thighs. Even when no fleas can be found on him, he only needs to pick up a single bite outside and he's off again. Check your flea meds (Effipro is what my vet recommends at the moment) are in date before spending too much money on councelling, it might be a very simple solution after all.

My cats are both house cats but the front garden is used by many neighbouring cats but he's 6.5 years old and this has always been the case.
It started about a year ago and he was diagnosed with chylothorax in May 2011 - I've always wondered if the 2 were connected but it's not a symptom of the illness and he's always had to get regular check-ups with the cardiologist because of his heart murmur so that hasn't changed.   He does have to have Hill's R/D food all the time now and I know he really hates taking all the tablets he has to take (he is supposed to be on Rutin too but decided against it as it was far too many tablets and I knew he was getting stressed with taking them all).  So, taking any more tablets is totally out of the question and I can't stop the ones he's on just now as it's what's keeping him alive.
I have to be totally honest I don't use flea products because the cats are never out the house, other than to the vets - but he was checked last time at vets and he doesn't have fleas.  Again, when I have tried to use flea products, Harvey runs and hides because he hates it and ever since he was diagnosed with chylothorax I've tried to keep his stress levels down as much as possible as I don't know how much longer I have am so want his life as happy and stress free as possible. 

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »
Silly of me, forgot to mention that Sammy, when he arrived here, was bald from the armpits down to his ankles. Only his front legs, chest, back, tail and shoulders were furred, as he couldn't reach there to groom.  :(

Aw, wee soul - that's what Harvey is going to look like and isn't far from it - his tummy is completely bald (from his pits) and he's working on his back legs and the underside of his tail.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
I am not an experienced cat owner, but is he an only cat, or do you have others?

I have one other cat, his brother, and they have always lived together.   The only time Ollie appears stressful to Harvey is after Harvey has been to the vets then Ollie will attack him for about 3 or 4 days until it returns to normal again.   Other than that they are always cuddling and will sleep all cuddled together.   Harvey is always the one to seek out Ollie, so in terms of that I would really think it would be more Ollie being stressed out by having multiple cats.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
I am not an experienced cat owner, but is he an only cat, or do you have others?

I have one other cat, his brother, and they have always lived together.   The only time Ollie appears stressful to Harvey is after Harvey has been to the vets then Ollie will attack him for about 3 or 4 days until it returns to normal again.   Other than that they are always cuddling and will sleep all cuddled together.   Harvey is always the one to seek out Ollie, so in terms of that I would really think it would be more Ollie being stressed out by having multiple cats.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
My boy Sam was troubled and overgroomed, and was rehomed to me as a result. There were two main causes (believe me I have researched this very thoroughly).

The first cause was the abuse he was suffering at home, the parents had a new baby who had started walking and was "allowed to play" with Sammy (which I assume means being pulled around by his tail).  >:(  Poor guy was terrified and lived in their cellar (which stunk of pee so he'd been marking down there aswell), too frightened to come out in case he was leapt upon by the child and/or Dad who MAY have raised a hand to him (Sam's scared of raised/open hands and cringes when you reach for your tea - poor boy). He was re-homed with the mantra "he scratched the baby" - yeah well if someone was pulling me around by my tail...

I don't imagine for one minute this has been allowed to happen in your household, but the stress it cause created the lick - lick cycle, so I thought it worth a mention as this is an extreme example of what stress can cause.

His symptoms were exacerbated by his intolerence for grain. He had been on (Old) Iams dry food at his previous home which was back then laced with grains.  I put him on grain reduced food (Applaws dry chicken) following internet research for his balding symptoms and this has calmed his defensiveness down by (I estimate) around 90%. He's now a fully furred, snuggly friendly pet with only a hint of swipey from time to time - and even this is without claws, so no problem. As he's older now (14 years) I've changed him to James Wellbeloved senior dry (turkey) and he loves it - and the behavioural problems have not returned.

Sam does not respond to Feliway, nor is he sensitive to catnip, but he does respond very well to vitacat treats (from aldi) for which he will do anything. Using these (sparingly) I've managed to train him to enjoy our child-free life with other cats and his life has turned around. Now at 14 years old, his happy future is assured and I'm so pleased we put in the research.

Funnily enough, though, he still adores children and will actively seek them out when they are in the area of the house, especially noisy little girls. He must have something in his past that he remembers fondly as none of my other cats do this. Brave little guy.

I hope this has been some help/comfort to you, and that you find a solution to your current problem.

Thanks.  I do have another cat, Ollie (his brother) but they have always lived together and there's never been a problem - in fact it would be more likely Harvey would stress Ollie out as Harvey always wants to cuddle him, and Ollie isn't always in the mood for it.  :innocent:
I don't have any kids and it is extremely rare that anyone's kid would be in my house (I'm not really a child-friendly person  :)) so he doesn't have any stress from that.   It is shocking what some parent's think is acceptable to do to pets, and then they wonder when dogs attack children!!
I could speak to the cardiologist on Monday about his food but he's currently on Hill's R/D because of the chylothorax as we need to keep the build-up of fatty fluids to an absolute minimum so it's not quite so easy to change it.
I don't think the Feliway is having any impact on Harvey whatsoever, he does react to catnip but not in the same way that Ollie does.
He's always been a bit OCD when it came to grooming but he's just taking it to the absolute extreme now - because I can't give him a row for doing it, if I'm around I try to distract him from doing it  by throwing a toy or something to see if I can help break his habit/routine but very difficult when working/sleeping.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
Of course other cats both in the domestic residence AND strange cats arriving outside the home can create stress. We had a stray unneutered tom pitch up in our kennel for a while. He was never allowed inside the house but it did upset the balance which caused an outbreak of territorial peeing indoors from the resident cats.

Stress is a non-exact science. All sorts of things can cause it from a house move, new additions to the family, change of diet, even moving a piece of furniture can create a hole in the sanctity of your cat's existence, and until you've eliminated the variables its very hard to identify one single thing as a sole stressor.

As with humans, anti-depressants are available and can work wonders if the cause cannot be pinned down to environmental factors. Talk to your vet if nothing seems to be working.

There are steroid injections available too which work on a hormone basis. These may help but can have negative  side effects, so again your vet will only use these if all other possibilities have been tried.

Are you flea free at home? One of my cats has quite severe flea affected dermititis which leads to him balding his tummy and inner thighs. Even when no fleas can be found on him, he only needs to pick up a single bite outside and he's off again. Check your flea meds (Effipro is what my vet recommends at the moment) are in date before spending too much money on councelling, it might be a very simple solution after all.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
I was going to suggest a beahviourist too, your vet will have to refer you to one for it to be covered on the insurance. If it's stress related then other options it's worth asking the vet about are Zyklene capsules and Kalm Aid gel. Think you can even get a Royal Canin food nowadays with added calming 'stuff'.

Thanks.   I'll look into the Kalm Aid gel.  I'm not sure about him taking any more tablets as he's already on 3 a day for his heart murmur and chylothrax and I know he hates taking them, which I think his perhaps contributing to his over-grooming but it's difficult to tell as he's had his heart murmur for 5 years so has taken tablets all that time and he was diagnosed with chylothorax a year past May when his tablet intake increased.  He has to have special food (Hill/s R/D) because of the chylothorax too to help prevent fatty fluid build-up so it's not quite so easy to change is food.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 23:41:22 PM »
Sorry, was thinking if Angela had other cats maybe they were causing the stress?!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 23:12:05 PM »
Silly of me, forgot to mention that Sammy, when he arrived here, was bald from the armpits down to his ankles. Only his front legs, chest, back, tail and shoulders were furred, as he couldn't reach there to groom.  :(

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 22:57:27 PM »
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 19:51:18 PM »
My boy Sam was troubled and overgroomed, and was rehomed to me as a result. There were two main causes (believe me I have researched this very thoroughly).

The first cause was the abuse he was suffering at home, the parents had a new baby who had started walking and was "allowed to play" with Sammy (which I assume means being pulled around by his tail).  >:(  Poor guy was terrified and lived in their cellar (which stunk of pee so he'd been marking down there aswell), too frightened to come out in case he was leapt upon by the child and/or Dad who MAY have raised a hand to him (Sam's scared of raised/open hands and cringes when you reach for your tea - poor boy). He was re-homed with the mantra "he scratched the baby" - yeah well if someone was pulling me around by my tail...

I don't imagine for one minute this has been allowed to happen in your household, but the stress it cause created the lick - lick cycle, so I thought it worth a mention as this is an extreme example of what stress can cause.

His symptoms were exacerbated by his intolerence for grain. He had been on (Old) Iams dry food at his previous home which was back then laced with grains.  I put him on grain reduced food (Applaws dry chicken) following internet research for his balding symptoms and this has calmed his defensiveness down by (I estimate) around 90%. He's now a fully furred, snuggly friendly pet with only a hint of swipey from time to time - and even this is without claws, so no problem. As he's older now (14 years) I've changed him to James Wellbeloved senior dry (turkey) and he loves it - and the behavioural problems have not returned.

Sam does not respond to Feliway, nor is he sensitive to catnip, but he does respond very well to vitacat treats (from aldi) for which he will do anything. Using these (sparingly) I've managed to train him to enjoy our child-free life with other cats and his life has turned around. Now at 14 years old, his happy future is assured and I'm so pleased we put in the research.

Funnily enough, though, he still adores children and will actively seek them out when they are in the area of the house, especially noisy little girls. He must have something in his past that he remembers fondly as none of my other cats do this. Brave little guy.

I hope this has been some help/comfort to you, and that you find a solution to your current problem.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 17:38:03 PM »
I was going to suggest a beahviourist too, your vet will have to refer you to one for it to be covered on the insurance. If it's stress related then other options it's worth asking the vet about are Zyklene capsules and Kalm Aid gel. Think you can even get a Royal Canin food nowadays with added calming 'stuff'.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 17:32:56 PM »
Good luck with the scan and hope the problem with his baldness can be sorted  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 17:31:32 PM »
You need to take him to see a vet first to make sure that there is nothing medically wrong.

If it turns out to be behavourable are you insutred? If so you are likely to have money on their for you vet to refer you to a behaviorist

He's going in to see the cardiologist on Monday (he has chylothorax and a heart murmur - but apparently baldness is not a symptom of either of these) so I'm going to ask him about it again as it's getting too bad now for me not to do anything about it.    He gets scans done every 3 months for the chylothorax/heart murmur so he was checked ages ago as part of the scans etc for any underlying problems as he had just started getting a bald tummy but they never found anything but it perhaps needs to be re-checked.

Yes, he's insured so if he needs to see a behaviourist and that's covered then that would be great.

Its distressing me now seeing him going going bald like this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 17:24:32 PM »
You need to take him to see a vet first to make sure that there is nothing medically wrong.

If it turns out to be behavourable are you insutred? If so you are likely to have money on their for you vet to refer you to a behaviorist

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Going Bald!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 17:07:23 PM »
My wee boy Harvey has become extremely bald on his tummy (there is no fur at all) and it's now starting on his back legs and his tail.    From what I can tell it appears to be from overgrooming but I can't find the cause (he's 6.5 years old and this has only started happening in the last year).  I bought Feliway plug-ins but unfortunately this hasn't helped alleviate the problem and I feel I can't give him a row or tell him to stop as I don't want him thinking that grooming is wrong.

Any help/advice on what to do would be most grateful as I'm a total loss.

Link to CatChat