Author Topic: Searching for a cerebellar hypoplasia kitten for adoption ***SORTED!***  (Read 10749 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Searching for a cerebellar hypoplasia kitten for adoption ***SORTED!***
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 22:43:22 PM »
Fantastic news, sooo pleased for you - and them!  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 16:36:30 PM »
That's great news! and I'm so glad you didn't split them up  :hug:

I'll move this to sorted now.  We'd love to hear about them so do post in Cats Stories section ;D

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 16:37:20 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 13:34:54 PM »
Great news and hope they will fit in quickly and have a long and happy life with you  ;D ;D

Will love to see pictures  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
Fantastic, they sound wonderful. I hope you will be very happy  :hug: :hug:

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tibs, Lou Lou, Shoko & Missy...foster mum to 164 shelter cats & counting :o)
Re: Searching for a cerebellar hypoplasia kitten for adoption ***SORTED!!!***
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
Hi Everyone! Thought i'd update you all that my search is over!!!  :Luv:
Initially i was looking for 1 kitt but these two come as a pair and i did not have the heart to split them.
They are from a rescue in Northampton (Thank you Tracey from Wonky Pets for the heads up!!).
A tabby boy & torti girl with moderate cerebellar. They scoot along the floor, climb the curtains and use their tray but walk with the funny gait and topple over to the side when running around. But they just get back up and continue...so resilient and an inspiration that's why i love them!  :Luv2:
I had a gulp in my throat the whole time i watched them  :'(
They are 9 wks of age and getting their 1st vacc tomorrow so just waiting to see if i can collect tomorrow eve or saturday! Everything is ready and in place...and just the introductions with the existing kitties to look forward too!  :catlove2:
THANK YOU everyone for all you support in my search and i'll post piccies once i get them home this weekend  :thanks:   :hug: xxx

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tibs, Lou Lou, Shoko & Missy...foster mum to 164 shelter cats & counting :o)
Re: Searching for a cerebellar hypoplasia kitten for adoption
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 22:37:52 PM »
He He! Yes i remember gorgeous Annie...I think Celia took her home due to the severity of her cerebellar. She reminds me so much of Sooki with those mad cat moments on the sofa!  ;D 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 22:33:44 PM »
Whoops, seems that was September 2010 sorry - seems she's found a good home. I'll keep looking.  :shy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 22:25:28 PM »
Check out the video of Annie at CHAT. The site was updated in September so she may have already been taken, but she looks like she could cope with your slightly more robust household?

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=45&MMN_position=74:74

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 21:30:40 PM »
Hi Sheila...thank you so much!  :Flowers:
I'm in the hertfordshire/cambridgeshire area (my village borders both counties!) but am willing to travel anywhere in the UK if the rescue would be happy to rehome.
After sending out a mass email to half the rescues listed on 'Catchat' (will be doing the other half tonight!) i had some lovely replies from some of the rescues that i enquired with.
Many had no special needs kitties or not seen a cerebellar kitten for a while.
After coming home from my exciting grocery shop  :yawn 2: I received a lovely email from a CP branch. They have a mum & kitts in isolation being nursed from parvo. 3 had sadly died but the remaining 3 are being hand reared due to mum pushing them away and are doing amazing! They are 5 1/2 weeks old & starting on solids today. 2 boys are fine but the girl seems to be struggling with life, not knowing what she's doing at times and walking with a bit of a funny gait. They say it's too early to properly diagnose cerebellar but that she seems to not be 'all there' bless her. She will be in isolation for a further 4-5 weeks then if all well ready to go home. They would keep me udated with photos. They are willing to home out of their catchment area too! So that's exciting  :wow:
A further email received just now from CHAT, but they are 2 feral 9 month olds & have to go as a pair which sadly is a bit too much for  us...if we didn't have 4 cats then maybe...
Such a lovely feeling to know so many lovely people are helping us find our kitty!  :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 16:24:23 PM »
Whereabouts are you Nat? I have some rescue contacts in the London area and don't mind putting out feelers.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Good luck and am sure there is a cat just waiting for you out there  :hug: :hug:

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
Thanks guys, i guess when you're looking for that special furry and you do find one that sounds perfect excitement does take over   :yesss:
But i have to respect they all have to make their own decisions of how they rehome.
I did not think about the references! Have sent them a message that they are available should they wish to view them.
I'm also about to do a mass email to the rescues in this country as you never know. At least they can keep my on file should anything arise.
Gill, i can totally understand where you are coming from & in many aspects i'm in agreement. I guess special needs cats are a bit different. I've come across so many rescues in this country (mine sadly being one) & vets who view cerebellar, FIV, incontinence (within reason) etc etc as an immediate death sentence. Cats with issues to them are not 'perfect cats' which is all they seem to think people seek. They don't seem to comprehend that there are individuals who believe every cat deserves a chance and are wiling to care for & provide for the most difficult cat. This is why there is so much needless euthanasia...narrow mindedness  >:(
The number of cats i have seen PTS because they are seen as 'damaged' and had no power to help them  :Arrrrh:
(Sooki only survived due to, in not so many words..not being returned from foster...say no more!)
I know in Ireland there are so many cats with FIE and the rescue lady said that parvo is rife, hence why so many special needs kittens out there...but i'm here!
Anyway...thank you all for your kind words  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 23:34:24 PM »
Could you offer her references form the vets where Sookie was a patient and also the vets where you work?

I dont normally approve of cats coming here from other countries but this is a special case and if she can get a fab owner with experience of the condition then I hope she rethinks and jumps at the opportunity  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 22:24:58 PM »
:crossed:

You do sound like the perfect home for this little one, hope everything goes to plan and that the rescue lady lets her go to you :hug: Being prepared to travel such a distance must surely show your commitment, did you offer vet/rescue references to her?

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 21:45:05 PM »
They dont do homechecks. The animal situation in Ireland is not the best as many know and i think just finding homes for all these cats & kittens is a very hard job itself  :( At the time i was speaking with her she was fostering 3 lots of litters! She was just concerned that if anything happened she would not be close by to have the kitten back for any reason (which would never happen!).
And yes, i absolutely understand where she is coming from...as even though my current fostering total of pregnant cats, their kittens and hand rears totals 164 it's always still a worry and tear jerker when i part with them. I did hope that my employment as a veterinary nurse with a national animal charity with whom i've been with for 5 years would at least allow her to get an idea of who i am...just wish she was on Facebook where she could have a glance through album after album of my foster kittens and my late gorgeous cerebellar kitten Sooki  :)
Travelling via ferry with car would be 6hrs.
Just got excited as you don't regularly come across special needs kittens with this condition that would suit your family.
If it's meant to be it will be...if not i'll just keep searching  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 21:16:20 PM »
I imagine she was concerned about how to carry out a reliable homecheck at such a distance and having to trust others to do the home check for her?  I assume she rang your mobile as if she rang your land line she surely would have realised you were across the water  :-:

I imagine you will be the first to understand how protective she will feel toward her young ward  :hug: :hug: :hug:

What would be involved exactly with the travelling?  Would you be collecting via ferry and how long would the trip be?

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 21:05:39 PM »
Hi Everyone  ;D

Thank you all for being so lovely and welcoming  :Luv:

Well, I came across an advert for a 'special needs kitten' based at an animal charity in Ireland (Animal Connexions?). I left a message enquiring and the lady who is currently fostering the kitten just rang me back. It is a 12 week old female with cerebellar!  :Luv:  She sounds not as bad as Sooki, more mild to moderate. She does not have the head bobbing, just the awkward gait and back legs occasionally giving way. She toilets & eats fine. She will be getting spayed next week. After i talked to the lady about my background, she went a bit negative with me in regards to transporting her 'across the water'. She expressed that she was not really happy not being close by if anything happened etc. After my excitement i felt a bit down as if anything happened i would NEVER return her, i would be responsible for her & look after her!  :( I hope she understands that I'm not an average joe wanting some kitten, she will be part of my family for all her life. She said that she needs to speak to her vet and the lady who originally fostered the mum in regards to the transport and if they are happy. She said she has my number & will call me if I'm an option  :'(
I would travel all over the UK to help a cerebellar kitten, even take one in from further abroad. Is it so bad to transport a kitten from Ireland in need? I can understand they need to be trusting of potential owners but i thought they need as much help as possible out there? I know at the rescue i work at we do regular ferry crossings from Ireland bringing in many of their dogs in need. She actually knew the charity i work for and the owner of the rescue in Ireland who we help.
She sounds so perfect and i hope i will get considered. Didn't realise it would be this hard! Fingers crossed everyone x

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
Hi Natalie,  :welcome: to Purrs  :)

Sorry to hear about Sookie  :hug: Hope you manage to find a kitty that will fit in with your others. We have another member who has CH cats, Tagalong has the gorgeous Boris and Daisy  :Luv2: :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
So sorry about Sookie RIP. She will be on this years Roll of Honour which comes out in mid November on Purrs birthday,

Yes you must be sure that you find the right cat to fit your home and you keep looking until you do.

Angie of Cov cats will be able to advise you about Lottie and they have kittens coming out of their ears.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 22:25:21 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Natalie

Sorry to hear about Sookie  :hug: I do hope you find what you're looking for, I was going to suggest Lottie but sounds that the 'job description' doesn't quite match up. If you're interested in her but put off by the mis-match it might be worth emailing Coventry Cat Group to see what they think as her fosterer will be able to assess what would work for her  :)  :hug:

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 21:52:40 PM »
Hi Gill & Dawn! and thank you for the replies.
Gill her name was Sookie, she was 8 years of age when she passed in March 2012 (my profile pic is of Sooki at the time i was bottle feeding her).
I did come across Lottie but was straight away wary of her needs of a quiet household/older cat companionship. I currently have 4 felines of which 2 (7 years of age) are complete couch potatoes who mother anything in sight, whereas the other 2 are a little more younger (3yrs & 5yrs) who like to jump & pounce on everything & can be quite 'in your face' so to speak! Sooki got on fantastically with them as despite her condition she was very bold and spritely & gave as good as she got! She was usually found on her back (obviously due to lack of balance) having a ferocious fisty cuff session with the two of them...winning  :boxer:
Not sure my home would be found suitable due to her cataracts and my set up of 4 cats, as they are wanting her to be homed as an only cat or with one older cat .
I did come across a 6 week kitten who was being bottle fed at a rescue in Galway Ireland, but sadly she passed away a couple of days ago, not due to cerebellar but severe dehydration  :(
I will be patient & will keep on searching  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 21:02:56 PM »
Its Lottie at Coventry Cats and she is 14 months old

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 21:00:13 PM »
No and I can see his news clip and he has a friend.

But there was another single kitten cos someone else was thinking of taking him/her but decided against it cos they found another disabled cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 20:52:45 PM »
did Fontaine at paws inn have this condition??

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 20:51:38 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I am sorry to hear about your kitty, what was her name and when did she pass to the Bridge  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I believe there is a kitten with this problem needing a home but cant remember the details and think it will be in the section close to this for cats needing homes.

I hope you can find the thread

Offline natkittykat

• Kitten
Searching for a cerebellar hypoplasia kitten for adoption ***SORTED!***
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 19:13:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Not long ago we sadly had to say goodbye to our cerebellar kitty Sooki after losing her fight with kidney disease...
She was hand reared by myself from 1 week of age being fostered from my place of work (i'm a vet nurse at local rescue shelter). Sooki arrived at the shelter as an orphan when her mum was found nearby killed in an RTA. She was covered in diarrhoea and tested positive for parvo and was on foster with me from day 1. It was a miracle in itself that a week old parvo kitten pulled through let alone one that suffered neurological damage. It took so much dedication and fight from both her & myself, learning new ways of feeding, adaptable toilet boxes, safe proofing/adapting the house etc etc. But the happiness she brought us all was worth every moment. Sadly with cerebellar, it is common that other conditions surface earlier than the norm which can cut their happy lives short. With Sooki it was her kidneys...but we all enjoyed a long 8 years full of joy that she gave to me & my other furries! And we know she left us feeling loved  :)
We now feel we are ready to adopt another kitty and can only think of offering another cerebellar kitten a loving home with experienced owners who would otherwise be overlooked or most commonly PTS.
I would just like to ask for everyone to keep an eye & ear out for any that may be seeking homes as we currently have a very loving & experienced one waiting. Happy to travel all over UK.
Such a shame there is not a site which links to disabled cats for adoption in the UK. You know they are out there, maybe desperate to be given a chance...but the question is where? X

:thanks:
Natalie x
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:21:01 AM by natkittykat »

Link to CatChat