Author Topic: Our lost puss is now found but poorly. Liver problem.  (Read 11718 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Our lost puss is now found but poorly. Liver problem.
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 13:32:15 PM »
Hi James, sorry just posted on your other thread and didn't see this one.  Really pleased to hear that Rupert is recovering hope he's much better now  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
How is Rupert coming along?  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 21:07:58 PM »
That is fantastic news xxx  so pleased for you and Rupert xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »
Wonderful news and I bet in a few months time he will be the same as he was before all this happened  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
that is great news, I'm sure he will be is old self soon

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

Very pleased to learn that Rupert is finally on the mend.

I think maybe the lessening of affection might just be the fact he's been coming to terms with whatever's happened, and of course the stay at the vets, but I'm sure that over time, as his confidence returns his affection will also.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »
That's good to hear - hope it's not long til he's back to his old self 100%  :hug:

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Rupert
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 22:39:03 PM »
Thanks Gill and thanks to everyone who showed an interest in Rupert over the last few weeks.

The good news is that he is getting much better! He has been home a week and with each day a little more of his appetite and personality has come back. It's nearly 3 weeks since his ordeal began but he is finally on the mend :)

We will never know what happened to him in the first place but whatever it was caused him pain, stress and for him to not eat for 2 weeks. You can imagine- he was skin and bone when we got him home.

He is slowly getting back to his cheeky, inquisitive self. Though we have noticed he is less affectionate with us :(
We think maybe he is sulking with us for leaving him at the vets in such a state. Also because he is not allowed outside yet (and prob won't be for a while)

Anyway thank you all again for your concern. It has really helped :)

J

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
So sorry to hear what Rupert has been through and as long as he keepos eating I am sure he will fully recover.

Whether a RTA or a kick, being at home with his loving slaves will slowly bring his confidence back but it will take time, so be very patient  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 13:30:22 PM »
Have you tried using Bachs Rescue Remedy on Rupert .... it's wonderful stuff, just a few drops in drinking water.

I would also spend as much time with him as you can  - just sitting near him or being in the same room will help him to relax and feel safe and secure.

You might also want to invest in some new toys (check out the purrs shop - link top right hand corner of every page).  I can't recommend the Yeoww cat nip toys enough ... they are super strength cat nip and will certainly perk up any sad kitty.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 19:07:23 PM »
Hi all

Rupert is much the same today. He has only eaten a small amount of tuna.

He was such a confident boy before- but now he is so withdrawn. I hope he perks up soon

I think it's only natural after all he has been through. He is probably still feeling rough after his disappearance/possible accident/stay at the vets.

My cat was much the same after his hunger strike illness, he is such a larger than life character but when I got him home after a) feeling so poorly/not eating and b) being at the horrible vets (they're lovely but he HATES it) he was a changed character, very subdued and miserable. Not for long though, he was soon springing up doorframes again and in my face begging for cuddles!

Have tried tempting Rupert with anything else? I was giving Riley bits of deli ham, beef and chicken to try and tempt him back into eating.

Thanks TiggysMum, that's reassuring. The only thing that really tempts him is cat milk. I might try and mix it with something more substantial.

And yes we have considered possibility that he was kicked. It's a sad thought and might explain his demeanour. Goodness knows how we will bring him round if that's the case though.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 18:59:37 PM »
trauma to the liver sounds more like a kick in the side than an RTA to me

I wonder if he has been on the wrong end of some horrible thug, and is withdrawn because he is mentally traumatised as well as physically

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 18:39:13 PM »
Hi all

He was such a confident boy before- but now he is so withdrawn. I hope he perks up soon

I think it's only natural after all he has been through. He is probably still feeling rough after his disappearance/possible accident/stay at the vets.

My cat was much the same after his hunger strike illness, he is such a larger than life character but when I got him home after a) feeling so poorly/not eating and b) being at the horrible vets (they're lovely but he HATES it) he was a changed character, very subdued and miserable. Not for long though, he was soon springing up doorframes again and in my face begging for cuddles!

Have tried tempting Rupert with anything else? I was giving Riley bits of deli ham, beef and chicken to try and tempt him back into eating.

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 18:22:29 PM »
Hi all

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 18:10:12 PM »
Great news he is getting better.
Little and often feeding and lots of talc and he will soon be fine again . :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 17:49:50 PM »
So pleased to hear he is on the mend  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
that is good news, poor rupert he must feel sore after a run in with a car and of course there is no place like home

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »

Sending "getting stronger and betterer" vibes for Rupert - he's been through a lot bless him.   Hope he has something to eat today.    :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 07:15:23 AM »
So pleased to hear such positive news  :wow:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 22:55:38 PM »
So relieved to read this. Hope you can get some tinned chicken roll down him very soon to start building him up again. Always works when my lot are off their food.  :hug:

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 22:34:01 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Liver results are back to normal now. The most likely cause of that was trauma to his liver so the most likely thing is that he was hit by a car.

He did wolf down some cat milk before which is a good sign! Though he has turned his nose up at some Whiskers Beef in gravy which he normally loves.

Still worried as he is v subdued but guess he has been through a hell of a lot with going missing, getting hurt then 10 days of medication and vets prodding him must have taken it out of him

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 22:04:04 PM »
Wonderful news  :) Have his liver results returned to normal now?

Not sure if this diet is comaptible with liver problems if his liver results are still abnormal but Hills A/D is a food used in convalescing or sick animals - you can get it from the vets but if he likes it and you need to buy in bulk it's much cheaper online. Cat milk is another good way to introduce more calories into the diet to build him back up.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 21:50:01 PM »
awwww great news, thats what I was hoping to hear :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 21:33:54 PM »
Woo Hoo so pleased to hear Rupert is home.  I'm sure now he is back in familiar surrounds and getting lots of love and cuddles he will start to put on weight.  I'm sure your vet has given you loads of advice but I would say lots of little meals is probably the best way to go .... little and often as they say.

Please give Rupert and big cuddle from me and my gang all send lots of get well kitty kisses  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 21:20:23 PM »
Hi Everyone

Rupert is home!!! :)

After a week in the vets he was referred to the small animal hospital in Liverpool. They were still unable to provide a diagnosis but fortunately he began to finally eat and perked up quite a lot.

Looks like we will never know where he disappeared to or what happened to make him so poorly but it does look like he is on the mend.

He is curled up on my partners lap fast asleep. He is all skin and bone and has various  shaved patches where they have done all the scans and tests. He is also still very subdued by his standards but I guess he just needs lots of tlc and building up!

Thanks to everyone who showed an interest!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 14:49:24 PM »
Hope Rupert has had a comfortable weekend and has started to turn the corner  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 17:54:11 PM »
Unlikely to be FIP, that isnt sudden onset, like Heather mentioned, and even if his test comes back showing coronavirus titres (the virus that can cause FIP) its still not unusual, as many cats carry corona with no ill effects whatsoever and never go on to develop FIP.  :hug: :hug: Its good that he's eating a little bit.

One of my foster cats had something similar to Helen's riley, recently, where she developed severed diarrhea and would not eat anything for several days, eventually had to go on a drip. She started to eat again, and is completley back to normal now  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 13:27:57 PM »
Hi Tiggysmum

We might ask about that although he is on antibiotics and painkillers as well as his drip and I guess my concern is that he needs those to survive right now.

What was wrong with your young cat in that situation?

I know you can get antibiotic and painkiller injections so that side of things could be covered, if he is still dehydrated and needs to be on a drip then it would be a no-go anyway but if his hydration levels are OK then it's worth asking. I'm sure the vet wouldn't allow you to do anything to jeopardise Rupert's health or recovery  :hug:

My cat had 'gastritis of unknown origin' - basically he stopped eating and then couldn't keep anything down. The change in him literally happened overnight - I was on nights and went to work at 10pm with him bouncing around like normal, came home at 7am to find him under the bed completely unresponsive.

Did you ever find out where Rupert was when he was missing?

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
Hi Tiggysmum

We might ask about that although he is on antibiotics and painkillers as well as his drip and I guess my concern is that he needs those to survive right now.

What was wrong with your young cat in that situation?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

sending a gentle hug for you and a snoozle for Rupert.  Thinking of you both.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 23:43:11 PM »
Poor Rupert :care:

Have you been able to go in stay with him for a while to try and encourage him to eat? When my otherwise young and healthy cat was poorly (out of nowhere, I went to work and he was fine and came back to find him unresponsive under the bed) he ended up on a drip as he was so dehydrated but he was so stressed by being at the vets he wouldn't eat so the vet actually thought he would be better off at home so that he would calm down a bit and start eating, he was quite poorly and had really lost his appetite so it didn't work straight away but it might be worth asking if you can look after him at home over the weekend?

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 22:38:55 PM »
Hello, thanks for asking.

No change with Rupert I'm afraid. He did apparently eat a tiny amount of chicken today but that was all. They are still waiting on results of FIP virus test. Very worried as  if it is that, it is 100% fatal :(

It would just seem strange as he was fine until he disappeared for the weekend.

We did see him tonight and he was ever so slightly more alert and even miaowed at us! But then he went back to being sullen and sleepy again.

It's so sad and scary :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 14:09:33 PM »
Is there a any news on Rupert today? Have everything crossed he is starting to pick up  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 00:30:43 AM »
Sounds like either some sort of trauma (could he have been hit by a car?) or he has eaten something he shouldn't have. If he has eaten some sort of plastic it could perforate his insides which would lead to peritonitis. Is he jaundiced at all (yellow eyes, gums, pads)? If it is FIP that does not come on suddenly.  If you have liver problems you lose your appetite. I would push for an x-ray before they perform any surgery. One of my cats supposedly had FIP when he was young, around 1, and they said he wouldn't survive. The vet operated and his insides were full of pus and infection (peritonitis). He recovered well but sadly died of cancer when he was only 12 :(.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 21:38:04 PM »
Can you ask you vet to do some Xrays, they may show any obstructions and should also show any damage to the liver

Sending lot of positive healing vibes for little Rupert xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 19:57:23 PM »
Thanks again everybody

Update on Rupert: they still are not sure what is causing his high enzymes or his illness. He is still very miserable and poorly.

It's looking more likely he has some kind of trauma injury probably to his liver.

One development is that he has vomited and brought up some plastic wrapping. Vet said they might have to do surgery to see if there's anything bad in there. But it's a risk to anaesthetise him as he is so poorly.

Tests for leukaemia and Fiv. were negative. But they are waiting on tests for FIP which is a fatal infection. So worried it might be that- but the fact he suddenly went missing then was found poorly suggests something more sudden?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 14:31:23 PM »
What a dreadful worry  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have everything crossed that he can turn the corner once he has the feeding tube fitted  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 14:06:53 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: keeping everything crossed for him  :hug:

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 13:50:57 PM »
Vet has no idea why he is refusing food and depressed. Only that he has hight ALT and ALS in his liver. They say this is usually down to liver trauma but they are unsure.

He is being put on a stomach tube today but the vet seemed really concerned today and we are so scared

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 13:46:29 PM »
Have the vets said anything about force feeding him? they may have to put a feeding tube in as he may be at risk from Hepatic lipidosis http://www.fabcats.org/owners/liver/info.html through not eating. Hope he starts to improve soon  :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat