Author Topic: Our lost puss is now found but poorly. Liver problem.  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Our lost puss is now found but poorly. Liver problem.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 13:42:14 PM »
has the vet any idea what might have happened could he have eaten something he shouldn't?

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Rupert
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 13:41:27 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.

Rupert is still very poorly. He won't eat or drink. He has been on a drip for 3 days but is not responding.

I can only think the worst now. This is awful

Offline sam kent (thomas_kitten)

• Adult Cat
  • Do my ears look big in this?
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 21:05:25 PM »
This happened to my tom when he was just 2 years old. He went missing for 3 days - we believe he got locked in a shed or garage. He was so dehydrated and off his food. The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and some prescription food, and I syringed water down his throat for a few days to help with his rehydration. He made a full recovery, so I'm sure your little furriness will too.  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 21:41:35 PM »
One of my Bengals was recently very poorly with very high ALT levels - he was on anitbiotics and Metacam, it took about 4 weeks and 3 lots of blood test before the levels went back to normal.  So it may take a while but Im sure he can make a full recovery xxx

Sending lots of love and healing vibes for your little boy xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 18:59:13 PM »
Very sorry to hear this  :( I don't have any experience of liver issues but what I would say is that as he is a young and otherwise healthy cat then he will have every chance of pulling through and going on to make a full recovery.

I would second what Rosella said about the feeding, if he still hasn't eaten I would ask to go in and visit him and see if you can get him to eat, you will obviously need to be guided by the vet as to what to try and feed him due to the liver issues but he is much more likely to eat with you there. If he has to stay in any longer you could also take in a worn t-shirt or similar to help comfort him.

Please do let us know how he's getting on  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 17:21:13 PM »
It is such an excellent sign that Rupert has voluntarily lapped some water and very much hope he can be persuaded to eat something very soon.  I suspect the lack of food and liquid has lead to the poor liver results. 

Every effort should be made to get him to eat.  Not sure what your vets are like but I would definitely go to vet practice and make a fuss if necessary about it being you rather than vet staff that tries to feed him. Ask vet what food he would suggest.  There is a smelly very nutritious food (pate texture) that vet should have in stock called AD but I don't know if that might be too heavy?  I would mix a little warm water in with it and if necessary put some on your fingers to encourage Rupert to lick some.  Cats get out of the habit of eating after a few days and can go downhill as a result  :hug: :hug: :hug:

So glad he has been found.  Where did neighbour find him?

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 16:26:23 PM »
I don't know if it is at all relevant but the cat I adopted was found as a stray, he was so emaciated he had collapsed in the street and didn't move for a day, a passerby thought that the 15 year old cat was an abandoned kitten!

He had blood tests and they found nothing wrong with him other than one enzyme being very elevated. i am sorry that i can't remember what enzyme it was but they rechecked his blood after he had spent a night on a drip and then wolfed down a plate of food, the abnormal reading had already dropped. the vet said that the reading was probably down to extreme dehydration and it had largely corrected itself once he was hydrated again.

Could you get the vet to recheck his enzyme levels once he has had time to recover and get some fluid into him? One thing to try is boiling some white fish (like cod fillets) in water its tasty and if slightly warm will smell and so be apetising, its gentle on the stomach and if you leave some of the water in he may lap at the fishy water too. Obviously this isn't possible if he is still at the vet but the drip will do the job of hydrating him whilst he is there.

So glad he was found and you have him home. paws crossed he gets better.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 16:06:37 PM »
sorry to hear he has been found poorly, he is in the right place, I don't have any experience of this problem but I'm sure someone who does know will be along soon, all good wishes for rupert  :hug:

Offline cagsjames

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Rupert
Our lost puss is now found but poorly. Liver problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 15:57:19 PM »
Hi everyone

Our one year old ginger tom was missing all weekend until he was found by a neighbour. We took him to the emergency vet last night who has still got him. He was severely dehydrated and lethargic, almost lifeless. As it stands this afternoon, he is much the same and will not eat food. His hydration has improved slightly as he has been on a drip and has voluntarily had some water.

Vet has done a blood test and all was fine apart from an elevated liver enzyme (ALT). They are doing further tests to determine the cause but it can be do to trauma/injury to the liver itself.

We are so worried he will not pull through. Does anyone know any more about this liver enzyme?

Link to CatChat