Author Topic: Cat rushed to vets  (Read 14917 times)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
Re: Cat rushed to vets
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 14:47:40 PM »
Thanks folks.

He had a little episode earlier where he made his way to the window for air, but he's calmed again - don't worry, the window was only ajar and I was with him the whole time.

He'll need a tablet shortly - I hate this bit.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 13:35:52 PM »
Sending loads of good vibes and thinking of you both. xx  :hug: :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 13:30:55 PM »
Was thinking along the same lines as sheilarose,i know it's hard but,cats will pick up on your stress.x Sending good vibes for Moses.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 13:21:25 PM »
topping up the get well vibes for Moses!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 13:19:42 PM »
This is pleasing news. Very happy to read that you've managed your stress away from him so he's content in his own head.

Hoping for continued progress, I think you're doing wonderfully  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 13:03:31 PM »
glad he is confortable this morning, if the vet is happy that is good

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
Hi thekittensmittens and sheila

He's ok. Just had a couple of mouthfuls of food and drinking plenty of water.

He's purring louder han i've ever heard him. Considering, he's not in a bad place mentally at all. His breathing, although at times a little faster than normal, hasn't deteriorated like yesterday morning.

I spoke to the vets on the phone and they are content with his progress.

I'm not showing any stress with him, although he may feel my stress. He's actually in a decent head space if his purring is anything to go by. He's even attempting to play our games (which involve me turning around, turning around to face him again and he lets out a kind of a 'mert' noise) He loves it and I think he knows we are trying to help.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
How are things this morning, Miroslav?

Sounds like you've had a terrible night. You may be better popping him to the vet today for them to observe him if they have overnight facilities, Moses would be in the best place if his condition worsened, and you would be able to get some rest.

I know this may sound a little harsh, please don't take it to heart, but I wonder if the stress you are under might actually be making Moses more stressed, and adding to this panic he's experiencing? If you speak to your vet today, mention the stress you are both under and see what he says. There may be a viable solution you can cook up between you.

Huge positive vibes coming your way for Moses  :hug: :hug:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
any news this morning? you must be exhausted :(

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 04:08:43 AM »
Damn! He was tempted by sardines but didn't go through with it!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »
Thanks thekittensmittens

We got some of each tablet in him...

He just had a 90 minute sleep but has been up for a few minutes again, breathing quite fast.

Still not eating....Not looking good.

I'm wearing 3 t-shirts and a winter coat as windows are open to allow for some fresh air.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 02:45:16 AM »
sorry just seen this thread :(

sending love and prayers to Moses and you :hug:

I have no clue what to suggest here re his tablets...mine like worm tablets hidden in ham etc but cats are sneaky and spit the tablets out if you arent watching :scared:

If the air seems to be helping then thats good...poor little man. He may be exhausted from it all....hopefully some rest will restore his strength xx

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:54:22 AM »
Hi Gill, thanks for responding at such an unearthly hour.

He's sleeping at the moment. About 20 mins into a sleep, the longest he's  been settled since coming home.

He'll probably wake up now, but i'll be here.

Flatmate up for 23 hours needs some rest and i'm only at 19 hours.

He got some air from the window when he panicked - it seems to help him.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
So sorry that Moses is not well and see you had no reply to your last question and its about 30 mins on.

If you are concerned about Moses you definately need to contact the vet. On his emergency number will be how to get emergency help.

Sending loads of good vibes to Moses and hope that he has improved a bit by the morning.

He will also breath faster if he is panicking , for what ever reason  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 00:57:54 AM »
He just had trouble breathing again, but was okay in a few seconds and is resting again.

Do I continue to monitor or phone the vet. OMG  I hate this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 00:41:30 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 00:37:51 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

He's not eating at all now. Had  a couple of bits of chicken earlier and a tiny bit of Tuna........no interest in cat food or  any more offers of Tuna. His breathing became a little faster.

Have opened a window, which has helped in the past and he's a bit better and falling asleep.

My vet has an emergency number, but that's as far is it goes.

Sorry i'm not replying in full. Hope you understand i'm all over the place.

We mixed his tablet with some cat milk when crushed and he drank some of it - he appears to be drinking.

Don't think he's going to make it  :-[

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 23:31:04 PM »
You could crush the pill, mix it with butter and then smear it on his paw, they usually lick it off?

I've got a cat called Moses too, we named him that as he was left in a vets surgery, in a basket, and he is a devil cat :Crazy:

I had a cat years ago who had cardiomyopathy, enlarged heart muscle and he had a heart attack at the age of 7, but lived till he was 19, on  water tablets (diurectics) and prednisolone.  Every now and then his heart cavity filled with fluid and he went to vets and had it drained off.  Hope Moses will be okay :(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 23:23:19 PM »
Cats are really smart. If he's not being fooled into taking his pill voluntarily, you might just have to pop it in there. Here's a video which shows how to do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxjeAMuTEI&feature=related

The secret is getting him on the kitchen table in just the right position to pop it in and poke it down... or having a sober and sensible partner to poke it down while you hold his mouth open.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 23:17:12 PM »
Does your vet have emergency cover?  You could ring for advice  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 23:04:25 PM »
I'm panicking as he's not taking his other tablet.

It's bigger than the other one and he has little interest in food at the moment. Crushed one up in cat milk and he had a little but...

Stressing big time.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 20:57:10 PM »
Relieved he's home tonight. The rest is down to your care, luck, vet judgement and a tiny bit of Purrs vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 19:58:29 PM »
Glad he has taken his tablet  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 19:43:55 PM »
Hi Sam.

Thanks for the suggestion. I put a little tablet in a small piece of chicken breast and he seems to have eaten it.

He may wonder all of a sudden why he's getting extra chicken, but hopefully this will work again later.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 19:02:48 PM »
Pleased to hear Moses is home and resting.  It might be worth trying to hide his tables in a little bit of cream cheese or meat paste.  Whenever I have to give tablets to my boy I buy a couple of slices of chicken breast from the deli counter and with a bit of creative moulding between the fingers my boy wolfs down the meaty lump (tablets and all  ;)).

Sending lots of get well vibes to your boy xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 18:47:23 PM »
Thanks Rosella and sootyca.

I'll respond fully when on a PC (on tricky mobile at moment)

Moses is home. With heart tablets and something else for his airways. A bit disorientated, had a long drink and wandered around and has now decided to sleep.

He didn't want any food with his tablet in. Very worried as he's not eaten since about 10pm last night. I'm hoping he will be hungry later.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 18:01:23 PM »
Sky has asthma (without the inflated heart cavity).  She had an injection about 4 months ago and that seems to have cleared it up for the most part.  Fully expect it to return and for her to have another injection but she isn't having daily attacks any more.

Hope your vet is able to do something for Moses  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 16:31:22 PM »
Very sorry you have had such worrying news  :hug: :hug: :hug:  I have no experience of either condition but send shed loads of good wishes to Moses  :care: :care: :care:

It may be that he needs occasionally putting in a cage to help?

Is that what vet said?  Just wondering if that might be stressful for Moses.  Is he very active in any event?  We have had three cats reach 18 years old and can't say any of them were that active that a cage would have slowed them down much  :hug:  I'm only mentioning so you can discuss with vet later.

It's always difficult to keep a clear mind when you receive worrying news about a loved one  :hug:  Write down anything that springs to mind so you don't forget when you speak with vet.  A good question to ask is "what would you do Mr/Ms Vet if he were your cat?"  Doesn't mean you have to do as they say but it might give you more realistic expectations  :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 15:11:15 PM »
Thanks bunglycat.

We'll see what the vet says later. Alot of what he said on the phone went over my head. I should have a clearer idea later of what he's up against.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 15:04:09 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope the vet gets Moses sorted out .
I had a cat with a enlarged heart and he had seasonal asthma . The vet put him on prednisone (sp?)
He did fine on that , but he was a lot younger , he was on Fortekur for his heart for years .
In the end he got cancer as he also had herpes virus .

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 14:27:17 PM »
Thanks for all the best wishes  :hug:

Update:

Had a call from the vet.

Moses has two problems - chronic asthma and an inflated heart cavity.

The vet says it's unusual for a cat to have such an inflated cavity.

He wishes to treat the heart first as treating the asthma may push his heart over the edge.

It may be that he needs occasionally putting in a cage to help? He gave me alot of info over the phone, but we'll talk more when we go and collect him later - still coming around from sedation.

I need to spend some time trawling the internet to find some literature on this, whilst I await the time to go and collect my lad.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
Good luck to Moses. :hug:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
Fingers crossed for Moses  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope they can find out whats up. 18 is some age mind, you must be doing everything right for your little furbabes! xxx
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
Thanks Sheila.

He is my best buddy, although all of my girls are of equal importance too. They are all my faves  :Luv: just the relationships are different and dictated by the cats themselves

Minty is my sofa sweetie. She always sits next to me and cuddles me  :innocent: Big cuddly madam  :naughty: :shy: :shy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »
Much love coming Moses' way from me and the Tufty Club.  :hug: :hug:

I think I know what Moses means to you. Jarvis was my OH's best friend, it was like an Old Boys Club the way they felt about one another.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
Thanks Dawn  :thanks:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »
how scary hope you get some good news soon

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
How very frightening.  Am so very sorry to hear this  :( :( :(

Sending best wishes to Moses by the bucketload  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Also sending a  :hug: for Minty as assume she will wonder where her pal is  :(

Thanks Rosella...

No idea why my pic went twice, but hey...

Minty and Moses don't get on. Every other pairing did, just not these two. She has the issue with him and they don't interact other than walk past each other (when he's brave enough) but she'll be affected in some way and will get even more attention than usual!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
Moses...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
How very frightening.  Am so very sorry to hear this  :( :( :(

Sending best wishes to Moses by the bucketload  :hug: :hug: :hug: