Author Topic: Cat rushed to vets  (Read 14913 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: Cat rushed to vets
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 13:32:37 PM »
you must be shattered :(

If i was you Id get moses and take him to bed and both have a long nap :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 13:13:24 PM »
Thanks again for your replies.

Bought the a/d and syringes from vet nurse thismorning, vet forgets to call, so ring him.

He thinks Moses not eating won't be  a cause for concern until tomorrow or Wednesday and doesn't think syringing is needed.

I've been back to vets who have given me a Mirtazapine tablet to be broken into quarters or eigths and given once every3 days....an appetite stimulant.

Been told to try some really smelly foods. I'm trying!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
yes sort of thick soup - hope the call at 11 was useful

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
hi hun :hug:

just make it into a thin liquid if you are trying to get it down him with a syringe (maybe with warm water cooled from kettle)....I havent done this with a cat though so hopefully someone with experience can advise better.

Hope the vet has had some good news  :hug:

thinking of you both....and sending out my prayers to little man xx

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
I'll reply properly later...

Vet is calling me at 11.

Went down this morning and got some hills a/d - he's not Interested.

Got some syringes too. What sort of consistency do I need if add water?

Silly question, but I'm tired and stressed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2012, 00:39:54 AM »
I am so sorry that he wont eat and after a few days the body starts to shut down and the liver gets damaged. This is what happened with Napoleon and he went into renal failure.

I could see in his eyes he had had enough, it was so devasting but had to let his wish prevail.

This is such a hard thing but it sounds to me that Moses has had enough and this is his way of telling you.

I hope I am wrong and send loads of good vibes to Moses  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 00:39:51 AM »
I'm due to call the vet in the morning, so will discuss with him all the options and see if we can get some kind of wet food.

Thanks for your support (and everybody else). It looks like the person I live with has decided to give up...and I can't.

Good for you!  Stay positive and good luck with the vet tomorrow.  :hug:

Sending vibes and good luck for Moses too.  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 00:44:51 AM by CuteCats »

• Hero Cat
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 00:14:08 AM »
shes probably just upset at watching you try to feed him and hes knocking back all attempts.
my daughter has totally bizarre behaviour if her birds get ill...i try to help...im doing it wrong etc.... her idea of help is to run around in tears, mine is to try to do something practical. Im sure its not from lack of love...its probs lack of sleep too :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 00:08:43 AM »
I'm due to call the vet in the morning, so will discuss with him all the options and see if we can get some kind of wet food.

Thanks for your support (and everybody else). It looks like the person I live with has decided to give up...and I can't.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 00:06:04 AM »
sorry hun got caught up in kids and household stuff :hug:

yes its as Rosella said, its not totally stinky but it appeals to cats. the hi life cat pate in a tin is a similar mush but about 90 per cent water or soething ridiculous...i did find mo would eat that too sucessfully( Mo was ill with Pkd so had to fatten her up but that was difficult as she had mouth absesses so couldnt eat )

I think if hes refusing to eat then it may be time for him to go back to vets to be monitored and drip fed if needed.
Im not an expert in what hes going through..sorry...so can only hope he gets better, it must be awfull for you right now :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 23:52:38 PM »
Well my flatmate has given up on him and says we shouldn't try and get him to eat.

Devastated.

I'm not going to give up.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 23:30:05 PM »
Also , have you tried Lectade ? You can get sachets from the vet or vet uk on
One .
You mix AAnd B together and give it by syringe . It stops them being dehydrated and is a supplement .
 :hug: :hug:

Will need to be the vets as online shopping is going to be too late.

I need to get a syringe from the vets and some kind of wet food, like this Lectade.

Thanks for the info, another thing to write down and look into.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 23:10:28 PM »
Also , have you tried Lectade ? You can get sachets from the vet or vet uk on
One .
You mix AAnd B together and give it by syringe . It stops them being dehydrated and is a supplement .
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 23:07:28 PM »
I meant to mention AD earlier  :doh:

Is it much more smellier than your usual cat food?

I wouldn't say it's that smelly but it is very nutritious so a cat can survive on far less of it that normal cat food.  Cats do seem to love it in general.  It's like a paste and you can add a touch of warm water to make it runny if that helps Moses.  The VNs at our practice (same as Kittensmittens  :) ) use a disposable glove to cover an opened tin to keep it fresh.   I used to always keep a couple in the cupboard just in case.

I've not come across Sheila's suggestion before but sounds an excellent idea.

Well, hopefully the vets will have some, if he survives the night. I'm not sure how long he can last without a proper feed  >:(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 22:15:58 PM »
I meant to mention AD earlier  :doh:

I wouldn't say it's that smelly but it is very nutritious so a cat can survive on far less of it that normal cat food.  Cats do seem to love it in general.  It's like a paste and you can add a touch of warm water to make it runny if that helps Moses.  The VNs at our practice (same as Kittensmittens  :) ) use a disposable glove to cover an opened tin to keep it fresh.   I used to always keep a couple in the cupboard just in case.

I've not come across Sheila's suggestion before but sounds an excellent idea.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 21:22:47 PM »
RE hills A/D you can buy it online but i used to get in from my vet..i think its about £2 a tin? I didnt need a prescription i just used to pop in for a few cans when needed.

Its the stuff they use for poorly cats etc and is made to tempt appetite and has all good stuff in for them.

x

I'll ask the vet tomorrow then. Your link worked out about £1.50 a tin.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 21:06:17 PM »
 RE hills A/D you can buy it online but i used to get in from my vet..i think its about £2 a tin? I didnt need a prescription i just used to pop in for a few cans when needed.

Its the stuff they use for poorly cats etc and is made to tempt appetite and has all good stuff in for them.

x

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 20:24:05 PM »
He had some whiskas milk Friday night, but none yesterday or today - it has been offered.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 20:00:20 PM »
Not sure about gravy.  You can add a bit of water to food.  Or you could try giving him cat milk to lap.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 19:54:10 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions, you are a wonderful bunch.

Is the hills just from the vets by prescription?

Thanks for the link to felinecrf.org - i'll read thorugh it.

I don't have a liquidiser but I have been trying to give as much really wet food as possible. Can I just add some gravy or is their anything else I can add to wetten?

What about things like evaporated milk? Is that a no no?

Blimey Sheila, that is gross. I might try all the other techniques forst, including zapping in microwave for 5 secs!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 19:44:47 PM »
Gross time, sorry about this but worth a try as your wiling to try anything..

When my Beau was struggling to eat because of his mis-diagnosed broken tooth root, I kept him eating by chewing his food for him - NO! not cat food  :sick: but roast chicken. This made the food moist and at body temperature, Beau hoovered up all I could mince for him, and it really did save his life.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 19:43:31 PM »
I would guess the Sheba sauce will help him.  Have you tried liquidising food so he can maybe lap it up?   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 19:40:55 PM »
There's lots of info on this site, it was written for cats with CRF in mind but the majority applies to all cats who are off there food for whatever reason

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

• Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 19:37:40 PM »
have you tried the hills A/d from the vets?
http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~hills-prescription-diet-canine-feline-ad-24x156g/~product_id=463?gclid=CMew6s6nxLACFQwjfAodQhUKYg

its stinky and messy but just what cats like...you can even make it into a liquid if needed.

I had to give this to my cat mo and it was about the only thing she would eat besides hi life little cans of pate from wilkinsons.

x

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 19:33:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Rosella and funkie chicken.

I thought i had some mince, but only have tinned and that has onion :( Can't find any Beef in gravy either and Tesco is shut until midnight :(

Just gave him a small amount of Sheba Turkey in creamy sauce and he licked the sauce for 30 secs! Will that help in any way at all?

What about human gravy? Is it too salty?

I'm not sure he'd lick off my fingers as I use my fingers to rub the marmite and tablet into his mouth. I could try...i'm trying to get him to eat different things regularly. I'll look at raising his food bowl too although I put the bowl under his nose wherever he is sitting - sofa, chair, wherever.

I'll ask the vet about his nose tomorrow and maybe some nutrigel or nutrical? My Dopey had some of that - she didn't eat it, but it's worth a try?

Willing to try anything possible. It's affecting my Minty too as she barely comes downstairs at the moment - they aren't close, they don't get on, but I want to give her affection too.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 19:12:49 PM »
just seen this thread! Big hugs to you and Moses  :hug: :hug:

I havent experienced any thing like this, but it seems that the strong smelling cat food is tempting, so perhaps something in gravy so he can lick it off, rather than deal with chunks. Also perhaps ask the vet on whether he has (coupled with breathing & heart) any air way trouble (blocked nose) this type of thing can cause cats to breathe heavily through the mouth and lose appetite as to eat they rely heavily on their sense of smell.
One of my boys (sadly gone now - but not due to that) had an horrendeous cold/infection and could hardly breathe - to the point that he resembled darth vader!
I dont know, but just clutching at ideas to see if anything works.
Good luck and come on Moses  :Luv: :Luv:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 19:07:14 PM »
Have you tried mushing the food up into a paste (warm it through to heighten the smell) and try to get him to lick it off your fingers?  It is a slow business but it's so important he doesn't get out of the habit of eating.  This kept my Tom alive for a few weeks.  He had anaemia which made him feel a bit sick so had a devil of a job getting him to eat  :(  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Also try and raise his food bowl so he doesn't have to lower his head. 

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2012, 18:09:02 PM »
He's tried a couple of times to eat and given up....he's struggling to get things in his mouth? 2 different sorts of cat treats (split into tiny mouthfuls) and some Oh So Fishy have tempted him, but...he tries and gives up.

Tried baby food, doesn't want it, same with the Primula. Tuna doesn't tempt him and he loves tuna, normal cat food doesn't tempt, fresh roast chicken didn't work.........running out of time.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 17:47:10 PM »
sounds like he is one the right track, in my house tuna works wonders but I know not all cats are the same

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 15:04:33 PM »
He sounds very much better than he was and hope that eating will come, try just giving him minute portions so its easier for him to make a decision to eat a little rather than be faced with too mich for him right now.

Come on Moses you can do it  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
Thanks Gill and Sheila.

I understand your point about the purring (I wasn't aware they purred when trying to be happy). I would however say that he seems pretty happy at the moment and he's coming to see us (more below) and his breathing has improved. He's had a very good night.

The big concern right now is his lack of appetite. He's drinking but not eating. I've been to Tesco and have different cat foods/treats and a feshly cooked chicken, plus other options suggested - Primula cheese, Paste, Mackerel, fish, baby food (minus garlic and onion - only 2 tins of about 100!)

Anyway, my post from last night (plus update)  that my phone deleted!

I went to bed and shed tears - he's never been away from my side at night apart from about 10-14 days, since we got him aged 2 months - now nearly 18. All of those were when I was away so he's never chosen to not be with me at night, or at least a large part of it.

About 2 hours into my sleep, I heard my flatmates voice at my open bedroom door. I can sleep through bad weather, loud bangs and virtually anything, but her voice usually means something is up!

She whispered that he had made his way upstairs into my room and then I heard him taking the route he always does to get to me. I popped my head up and there was his cheeky little face staring at me. He came and sat/lay by me for a bit before moving across to the other side of the bed and layed with me. Flatmate quickly got him some chicken and he scoffed a couple of thumbtip sized pieces before leaving to have a drink and then go back downstairs. I followed him and then went back to bed when he was settled - within seconds he was back upstairs with me again. He laid with me for about an hour before I drifted off and I awoke 2 hours later and he wasn't with me or downstairs......he'd gone under my bed and was fast asleep. He woke up, came downstairs and I decided to try and sleep some more on the sofa. He slept next to me for a bit, then on a chair next to the sofa and then when I was about to get up to go and get the food, he cuddled right into me on the sofa and wouldn't let me go for 30 mins.

He's improved in so many ways, whether it's because of the tablets or the humidifier or something else. He just won't eat, those 2 chicken pieces aside.

Last night was worth giving him the chance alone. I'll earn the near £300 and any future costs back over time, but i'd never of had last night had he not been given the chance.

He's calm now, a bit slower, but calm. It's just the eating! Come on Moses!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:47:38 AM by Miroslav »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, Gill. Sly has what my vet calls his "Please don't hurt me?" Purr. It's quite loud but you can see the fright in his body language  :scared:

Hope this isn't the case for poor Moses.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:53 AM »
If he is on a duritic that is why he is drinking a lot and he will need to.

I dont want to put a damper on things but you need to know that purring is not always the sign of a happy cat, cats also purr to try and make themselves feel good when they are feeling very bad.

I so hope that this is not the case with Moses and sending loads more good vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012, 23:31:56 PM »
Just lost a reply on myphone ...will post again when on pc but it was about a nice moment.

Moses is doing ok. Calmer. Maybe tablets have helped.

Frusemide and Benazacare are the two tablets, tagalong. We have some of that gourmet. He does like it.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2012, 20:10:07 PM »
Are tabs Fureosemide which is a diuretic or Fortekor ? The first can be given by injection if necessary
as for pills what always works for my cats is the tiny tins of Gourmet gold pate the fishy one -it's like fish paste and so gooey tablet gets stuck in it and so smelly it hides the scent and taste.
Hope he gets on well and starts to improve
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2012, 18:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the link Sheila and for the ideas Tiggys mum...I have noted them for use later.

Just had 1 of his tablets mashed In marmite. He initially licked the spoon but needed to wipe the rest on his mouth. think he had it all though.

He's now calm. Hope it lasts for as long as possible.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2012, 16:52:32 PM »
Sorry to hear Moses is so poorly  :hug:

I have some tried and trusted tablet tricks, you only need one to work to hit the jackpot  :hug:

I have an addition to the list which I discovered when Riley had a diaorrhea and had to take Metronidazole which had been broken into quarters exposing their bitterness, he refused any of the below as he could obviously still smell/taste the tablet so I discovered Webbox treats.  They're stick treats but quite maleable so I cut a piece off and moulded it round the tablet.

For the last two years when she was having 5 tablets a day my main methods were 1 & 2 below (with no 2 being less sticky!), if she were feeling off colour I had to resort to one of the other methods.  One of the tablets she had was Fortekor (for CRF not heart failure) so the tips definitely work with that shape/size of tablet.

1) Primula Cheese in a tube (Chs, Chs & Ham, Chs & Prawn but NOT chs & chive), also works with Dairylea triangles, laughing cow etc, just cut a small chunk off..  Place tablet on finger, squirt a blob of Primula on, Tiggy licked it off, tablet and all. 

2) De-furrum treats (available from places like Pets at Home, Jollyes etc) they are designed for hairballs.  When snapped in half there is a gooey mix which holds the tablet perfectly when you poke it in.  Tiggy loved these and hoovered them up.

3) Wafer thin ham (Bernard Matthews is best as is nice and moist and sticks to itself when folded over).  Wrap tablet in small parcel and hand feed, the tablet may fall out the first time so I roll up in another piece and keep going.  Wafer thin Beef or Chicken is also effective.

4) Cheddar Cheese, experiment with varieties but the moister the better. Shave of a thinnish layer and squish around the tablet.

5) Chicken breast, don't overcook, needs to be nice and moist.  Shave a thinnish layer and again squish around tablet.

6) Tuna, squeeze most of the juiceout and squish around tablet.

7) For powdered meds: Beef sandwich paste (check ingredients NO onion or garlic) mix with a little hot water to make a yummy beefy paste.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 16:49:26 PM »
I think this is the window mesh we were talking about, Jo. Must say it looks perfect for Miroslav's needs, and folks say the chap who runs the business is extremely helpful  ;D

http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 16:30:00 PM »
He's had a couple of problems this afternoon, but nothing like it has been.

Tablet time is proving impossible.

Vet says to call on Monday and in meantime, emergency vet is available 24 hours.

Off to get a humidifier!

I'll look into the mesh when I get back. It would be useful.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 16:18:08 PM »
good news that hes now a happy purring cat :wow:

hope the tablet goes down well :Crazy:

what else did the vet say? is he just to have the tablets and hope he perks up or is he due back ?

there is a thread somewhere about window mesh ..cant remember who mentioned it now. basically its a mesh screen that attachs to your window with velcro so you could leave window ajar knowing hes not going to escape. that could give you a little time to rest without having to watch him like a hawk :hug:

Link to CatChat