Author Topic: Fifi now , cystitis again! And again ! now saying only option is pts and here we go again !  (Read 24334 times)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Fingers crossed the treatment will do the trick this time.  Let us know what happens.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Went back to the vets yesterday again as she has been no better , not squatting as long ,but only little dribbles.
She is now on steroid injection, penicillin, Baytril and I have 6 more to do and then see how she is .
If still no better , then she will have the scan.
Thanks for asking .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
How's Fifi now shes had time to settle back in? 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Thanks Shelia, at my wits end really as don't think there is a medical problem ,all her urine tests were fine.

Stupid woman who hit my car refused to pay from mirror , now got to go to police station tomorrow to show documents even though it was her fault . Had insurance and insurance solicitors ringing me ( mine ) and been on the phone all day for hours .
Only just sat down, had no time to eat only a bowl of cereal .

Think I should go back to my sisters  :rofl:  would do if it wasn't so far !

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Oh Bungly this is such a dilemma. I feel for you.  :(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Well, Fifi is no different to when I left except now she is running off and preferring to stay outside all the time .
She isn't staying in the tray as  long ,but there is so little when she gets out ,you can barely see it .
Just think she isn't happy here as its been going on since I have had her.
I think she would be happier as a only cat .

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
The cattery might have some ideas for you when you get back, Gill. Also the anti-inflammatories may take a day or so to show an effect, you might have a nice surprise when you get home.  :crossed:

I'm thinking the cattery folk will see more of her behaviour than the vet so they might be able to shed some light on what's going on in her mind.

She's clearly not happy or comfortable, and seems to be demonstrating this by pee-ing in front of you, sounds like its a kind of cry for help.  I hope the meds work this time.

Meanwhile enjoy the rest of your break and try not to worry.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Just the day before I left to come here , Fifi weed on my bed and then did it again just as I was getting in it !
Therefore , she had to go to the cattery till I come back on Monday night and I can pick her up Tuesday .
Admit tingly it was still only tiny bits , but I really can't have her doing that!

She had antii inflammatory injection  and something in injection form like cystease , but nothing is working for her .
Will have to see what to do when I get back, but it's nice having a short break .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Just a thought, you generally mention Fifi is given anti-biotics which I once read that for some reason even if there isn't an infection generally cystitis will clear up better if a cat has them, but does Fifi also have an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY injection - this really does seem to help Lottie's cystitis within 36 hours, sometimes cystitis re-appears 3/4 days later and another anti-inflammatory is given.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
there seems to be a condition called 'persistent idiopathic cystitis', which sounds as if it is what Fifi has

the only articles google throws up are scholarly ones, which are full of scientific stuff, but it does seem that a general analgesic gets the best results, as it gives the cat a respite from the discomfort, and reduces inflammation
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
If I tried this Liquivite and she won't have it , all I could do then would be give it in a syringe which she also hates .

Spray is called Kalm Aid

No, was just thinking might be worth a try to see if a - if she likes it enough to drink it by herself, and b - if it doesnt go straight through her - but if you did try it, I'd just put a teeny spoonful down first off and increase amounts slowly - always supposing she likes it in the first place!

Ah, Kalm Aid, didnt know it came in spray form  :)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
The urine test hasn't given you anything to work with but at least certain things have been ruled out.  Might be worth asking the vet if cystitis is the sort of thing that can increase with age - afterall you think about the damage they do over the years straining to go. When she's okay, how do you know roughly how many times a day she wees?  When she's got cystitis, does she pass pink urine or clots of blood?  If Lottie gets cystitis she's trying every couple of minutes which quickly turns to pink urine and then clots of blood in an hour. I know call cats are different, but if Fifi doesn't pass get to the stage of passing clots of blood (which given she's had it so much recently I would expect her to be really tender inside) this could it be some sort of scenting thing? Do your other cats get on reasonably well?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
RC sachets for older cats over 12 are worth a try drop me a pm and I can send a couple in the post for Miss Fifi to try goes down a storm with out Floddy who has no teeth
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Just a thought...........it sounds like she will eat wet food but then her tummy rejects it?

Could it be that you need to let her eat it in moderation and mix with it half a capsule of protexin?

Other option is Hills GI wet food with the same half capsule in it.

Do this very very slowly with small amounts to try to educate her tummy. Keep on dfeeding her biscuits but maybe not quite as many.

Maybe worth talking to vets about this.

I have never had a cat that liked liquivite lol

I am sure that syringing stuff into her

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
I have 3 bowls of filtered  water in the house plus a drinking fountain and she does drink well.
Not tried Liquivite , but she is really stroppy and if you try and get her to eat something she doesn't want ,then she wi
L just go for you .
If I tried this Liquivite and she won't have it , all I could do then would be give it in a syringe which she also hates .
Have tried Feix , whiskers , Sheba, hills, James wellbeloved, cranberry treats, several other wet foods can't remember right now , fresh chicken ( all these went right through her ) tuna, cod loin none of which she will eat at all .
Mr Owen is back on Monday , so will have to discuss further with him

Spray is called Kalm Aid
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 23:41:22 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I'd deffo try and see if there was some wet food she could eat without getting upset tummy, do you think Liquivite would agree with her? its nutritionally complete, just in liquid form, it doesnt have any cereals or anything that might aggravate her tum. If I give it to mine I always add a bit of extra (warm) water to it.  :hug: Whats the spray called?

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
When you say they carried out urine tests did they actually send any to an outside lab for culturing? The tests that they have done so far are usually the ones that can be carried out on their premises.

If this goes on with no further progress then i wonder if it is worth trying Amitriptyline as a last resort as it really might help.

Maybe she is just not drinking as much as she needs to to flush her bladder through and the dry food is just adding to it. I understand why you have to give her this. Is there definately no wet food she can have that doesn`t upset her tummy? Failing that is there any other way that you can increase her water intake such as chicken broth, cat milk or an indoor water fountain?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Yes, Gill she did as he said I can see the squatting problem as he has been monitoring her since last night.
Think he might have thought it could be stress related somehow.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Zyklene wont solve a behavoria; problem only a behaviourist.

Such a bloomin mystery and sorry no reasons coming from all the tests.

Did she do this while at the vets?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Well, nothing wrong with Fifis urine, no blood, stones or crystals !
Been given a injection that's similar to cystease tablets only in injection form . This is a good one too if anyone has heard of this..... A spray to give her ! So ,I says where do I spray this , nose , mouth ?  No, on her feet :Crazy:
So, I have to spray Fifis feet twice a day on her pads , it may be a behavioural problem , though I have tried Zyklene (sp) ?
She may have a small bladder , also told . If no difference may have to have a scan , but don't think it will show anything .
She is no different tonight since bringing her back either, still squatting in garden and litter trays , just as bad as ever.
Think this is never going to end or get sorted out !

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
You've tried everything you can, so I think you're doing the right thing getting her tested.  Have you any idea how long it will take to get the test results?  When can you collect her?  It always seems like a long wait.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Left Fifi at the vet tonight to have her urine tested ,also left a page with all what's been going on and what she has been given cystease wise.
Usual vet is off this week , so if nothing found , can't do anything till he is back on Monday ,then it will be a scan and whatever else we can think of including what you have put Liz, thanks for that , not thought about that one !
She has been worse today as well, squatting in litter tray and garden every two mins

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
What about getting the vet to run an allergie test see if the dried food is causing the problems, I have had a couple of my ferals done that way and once we discovered that one is allergic to fish flavoured biscuits and one to food in gravey we work round them, also some of the flower remedies maybe easier some Rescue remedy in the water is a good idea and there are other helpful hints on the Bachs website might also be a thought to see a holistic vet and rekei is good to
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
You must be at the end of your tether with it.  Having a cat myself who gets cystitis which is a ... to get rid of when it occurs, I think if I got to this stage with her I would definitely get her tested now so you know exactly where you stand. 

Hate to ask this, but has the vet said she can be on four a day.  The dose on the bottles says two a day and when I've been desperate Lottie has had three a day - admitted this to the vet's nurse and I got told off!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 20:54:52 PM by Lotzy, Reason: error »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Maybe she is stressed with me keep syringing the cystease in her ? If so , we are never going to get anywhere with it .
I could do the same with Zyklene , but that's doing  even more she hates .
She doesn't like being groomed , having tablets , syringing anything in her . All she wants is to be left alone and she will come or a fuss when she wants to , otherwise she would rather you do nothing to her , but obviously I have to groom her!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I dont know and wouldnt think that but wonder if you have discussed this with your vet.

Use of plug in felway and maybe zyklene although that would be hard as she doesnt eat wet food.

Your vet is the one to ask and if Fifi finds your home stressful it may have taken that time before her body started to realize and even if you dont feel stressed your posts say you are and if she is sensitive she will get the stress from you. There is also referral to a behaviourist by your vet.

Now I am only speculating but Misa had stress related cystitus, and cant rememeber the trigger now, think it was something to do with Napoleon and was lucky cos on the way to vets he went in the cage and was showing blood. I think he was unhappy cos he thought he wasnt getting enough attention after Napoleon got ill the first time.

Luckily he was easy to treat but it can be something very small to us but hugely important to the cat.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
No, what treatment would that be? Amitryptline ?
I have no idea why she would be stressed though and she has had this now since I got her , it started 6 months after her coming here and now it's just getting closer together , longer to get rid of and it's been ongoing for almost 4 years now and getting worse !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Not good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,has she been treated for stress cos am sure that must be the reason  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Re: Fifi now , cystitis again! And again ! now saying only option is pts
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2012, 23:10:18 PM »
Well, it's started again today !
She has been on 4 cystease tablets now every single day for 2 weeks , still on them and not a day missed .

At my wits end with this now .

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2012, 21:11:01 PM »
What great news! The cystease will help to repair the bladder lining so it`s really good that you are managing to get it into her. Fingers crossed this continues.

If the cystitis is stress related then it may be a good idea to hold off if all is well as a stay in the vets might just be more stressful for her.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2012, 14:21:00 PM »
Louise, you can get something called D-mannose which I think has cranberry extract in it and is suitable for cats. I haven't tried it myself as my cat gets idiopathic cystitis (ie unexplained) but if tests had shown she was getting urinary tract infections rather than cystitis, then I'd have given it a go.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
I'm wondering if cats can have cranberry as that definitely works for cystitis in humans.....

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
What a relief that the cystease seems to be helping and to have a break from the cystitis. Let us know if Fifi is to be tested tomorrow, or whether you put it off for now and see what happens. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2012, 23:08:21 PM »
I di hope this is the solution  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2012, 21:16:29 PM »
Thankyou Sheila , she is definitely an odd one

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2012, 20:24:13 PM »
There is a God  :shify: ;D  :rofl:

Keeping warm vibes coming your way for continued improvement and a bit of peace for you at last.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2012, 18:52:06 PM »
Well, since giving the cystease (water mixed in a syringe) she has been fine now for about 4 days !
So I am keeping going with cystease and will ask the vet if she still needs to go in Tuesday .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2012, 18:35:39 PM »
How's Fifi's cystitis while you await the scan and urine analysis?  Is she allowed any anti-inflammatories/antibiotics in the meantime, or are you have to perservere with the cystease? 

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
Fingers crossed for next week.  Instead of using a syringe, you could always try mixing the cystease with a teaspoon of water and adding this to her dry cat food - from what I can gather cystease has no taste, but adding a little water to it for dry cat food should make it more palatable. I'm sure you're aware, but cystease will need to be given every day as a maintenance dose, so the easier you can make it on yourself the better!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2012, 00:00:21 AM »
That sounds like a good idea and hope it goes well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat