Author Topic: Fifi now , cystitis again! And again ! now saying only option is pts and here we go again !  (Read 24335 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Fifi now , cystitis again! And again !
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2012, 22:49:01 PM »
Thanks Sheila, can't even afford a lottery ticket right now .
Just can't understand why she gets it and now so often. It's been like this from 6 months after getting her and  it's worse now 4 years later!

On the other hand i did  a home check for a rescue tonight for a kitten and they were really lovely people . Uncannily they had a white cat that had been the guys childhood pet until he died a few weeks ago aged 20 and he was just like my white cat I had called Oscar.
When I get time to sort out my scanner will post photos of him and my other bridge babies from years ago.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2012, 22:41:53 PM »
Oh Gill, this is such a nightmare. Sending some  :hug: :hug: for patience and perhaps a lottery win.  :shocked:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 21:59:45 PM »
Had to go back to the vets tonight , she had some sores come up in the injection spot !
He gave her another injection as she is still no better and a steroid one for the sores . Gave me another 10 injections for her :shocked: :Crazy:
This is bordering on ridiculous now !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2012, 23:54:24 PM »
Hope that Fifi does well with the abs........why is it always a week end  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2012, 23:22:33 PM »
Thanks Shelia.
I am not sure I could buy this ab as its Baytril and you have to be so careful with this.

I have the next door lad ( bribed with a bottle of whiskey ) laying and concreting my slabs ready to get the greenhouse put up .maybe he will help with that too  :sneaky:
My brothers friend who I have known since being about 5 is supposed to be helping , but he hurt his back and he is going away Thursday for 2 weeks . I am sure I can con, I mean get someone to help ! :sneaky:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 21:48:25 PM »
This suggests you could buy a bottle of ABs and draw them up just as the vet does.

Thanks for asking, Sylvester da sly still has his wobbly clown shoes on, no idea what's causing it (diagnosis idiopathic) but I have just had the conversation with OH and we're biting the bullet to see a neurologist with him next weekend. Eek, no insurance but he's only three years old and has so much life in him yet.
Chubby, our FIV, is a worry as he's dropping weight fast now. He's happy enough and eating well so I don't want to tempt fate by booking him in at the vets just yet, but this may be his last summer, let it be a good one.
Three furbs are getting older and grumpier, but all their lives are full and happy. Looking after these guys makes so much sense, we don't have the energy or time for kittens and there are so many deserving older cats out there who need our sort of care.
Tufty, however is getting fitter and healthier, and sometimes more affectionate (sometimes). He's begun defending the house from other strays, so I guess he's here to stay  :) Tufty and Sly are ten years younger than Beau and Sam, so we have a true generation gap, with Theo and Chubby somewhere in between.
The girls Pursley and Polly get on just fine, surprisingly. Polly is quick with her claws and gives anyone bothering her a short sharp shock usually resulting in a bloody nose. For a half pint only eight weeks in to her new home, she's got them all by the short ones  :sneaky:
Pursley is 15 and deaf as a post, her BAD side subsided with her hearing, so now she gets bullied by Beau and Sam, but she's still got Dad's pillow which means she's still winning.

With one FIV confirmed, two more ex-strays and three others over 14, I'm counting my blessings that life for the moment is sweet. My time will come, I know, and I hope to God we can cope when it does, but until then, pass the bottle 'cos all is well  :Luv:

Enjoy the week-end, Bungly, whatever it brings. x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 20:18:46 PM »
The vet draws these up himself , but never thought to ask how long they last , will make a note and ask him .
All others are not too bad thanks . Pandora seems to have a touch of hay fever , there is a large field of rapeseed at the bottom of my garden , so have been giving her a very small dose of steroids until I can go out and get some portion for her .
Winston is ok , only the touch of arthritis in his front leg .
Kittens are nearly not kittens ! Coming up soon to one year old , still a bit greedy , but not so bad this hot weather .
Thanks for asking .
How are yours all doing ?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 20:07:46 PM »
There should be a "Use by" date on the pack somewhere, I'd think. Most meds have it somewhere.

I did wonder if you could buy this on-line and dose it yourself, save yourself the trip if you know the vet is always going to prescribe these ABs but you'd need your vet's (or Pauline's ?) expert advice on this.

How are the other cats doing??

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 19:36:56 PM »
She had 2 injections and got 4 to bring home . Have to ring if I think she needs more and then go pick them up ,which I may do anyway with it being a long bank holiday .anyone know how long they last ?
If I have them and don't need them this time they will do for next time as I know there will be a next time !
It's been 7 weeks this time .
Thanks

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 19:03:44 PM »
How did you get on Bungly? I know it's a long trek for you and always a worry just before the week-end.  :shify:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
I have no idea Sheila.
She always seems relaxed , sleeps a fair bit , she is around 14 .
A couple of years ago ,they had her in and did loads of tests and couldn't find anything , not even one crystal or stone !
She has had it on and off , more on lately from when I got her 4 years ago .

Got an appointment for 2pm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:39:53 PM by bunglycat »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
Sorry to hear this, do you think there's an underlying condition or is it something she's doing to cause it? Poor Fifi (and poor you  :hug: :hug: )

There's another bank holiday coming up, don't forget they may need to give you extra doses of meds for her.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »
Here we go again!
Started again tonight, so off to the vets tomorrow .
Lasted  about 7 weeks this time .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
How's Fifi now?  Did you get any injections to administer over the weekend with it being a holiday?

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Sorry to hear Fifi has cystitis again.  I can well understand where you're coming from with your comments and certainly sympathcize, the last couple of times Lottie has had cystitis I think I can't cope with this any more - following her around the house cleaning up blood, listening to her scratching around the house at night and watching her go through it.  On the other hand, I love her to bits and only someone with lots of patience and experience of cats is going to take on a 12 year old cat with a problem like this.  You can't win.  Lottie's cystitis also started when she was nine was a fairly close age to Fifi.  I've looked at it from all angles over the last couple of years, stress - trying to be calmer in the house, more relaxed, trying to give her her own space more, changing diet to wet food, , giving cystease daily, using Feliway diffusers during stressful times (ie workmen in, school holidays) but I don't think they make any difference as I can't see any changes etc etc. I haven't tried Zyklene though.

I'm sure you've told me, but how often does she get it?  You've probably thought about it, but if she gets it again so soon, it might be worth getting her tested again.  Let us know how how you're coping with it. Why do these things always happen at night, on Sunday or near holidays when the vets aren't so readily available!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »
Bungly, the Baytril injection solution is available on-line from Viovet. Ask your vet to give you a prescription to cut the costs.

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Prescription_Drugs-Prescription_Drugs_A_-_C-Baytril/c1_31_566/category.html

My vet is happy to do this for me as he knows how many cats I have and that only 5 of the eight are insured.

I do sympathise, it's so hard when its not one of your friendly cats that's eating up all the funds. (Somehow one doesn't mind the cost so much when it's a cat whose got one's heart).

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »
Can't offer much advice but send hugs for your lot from ours and can sympathise with the vets bills, being a tad cheeky could you ask for some discount from them as you have a few registered and this might help

I think everything is getting on top of you and perhaps they are picking up your stress and adding to their own worries  :hug: :hug:

Can only suggest the usual things that work for us when we have a stressful time here, some RR in the water, a couple of Feliway plug ins and my standby some Zulkene it takes the edge of the situation and the cats are calmer - I tend to use it on the newbies and some of the sharp edged ferals who are sent a tad off if anything in their world is out of kilter
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
Fifi isnt insured !
She is 14 and has had this since i got her at  10 years old .
She has always had it and no idea to why she gets it. There is no-one to bother her or upset her . She has a heated bed or three to herself !
Food and water always available , she can go out if she want to .

This is really getting me down though - if its not one thing its another with them !

I have to take Cody tomorrow as it is , now her as well !
Winston is booked in next week for his booster too .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 00:26:13 AM »
If its stress cystitus then there must be a reason but doesnt this go back a long way?  What does the vet say?

You should be claiming on the insurance every time.........how much excess do you have.

If its not long between times then the vet can make it all one case, so excess only paid once.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Re: Fifi now , cystitis again!
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 23:46:30 PM »
Resurrected as she has got it again tonight !
This is driving me mad as its now costing around £100 each time she gets  it due to not being able to tablet her, beginning to,think she would fare better somewhere else as she cant be happy here to keep getting it and I will end up bankrupt at this rate .
I am so sick and fed up of having all these problems with the cats and their health !

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 14:02:04 PM »
Glad to hear Fifi is doing well - what at relief for you.  It's a bit different everytime for Lottie, so I never know quite what treatment she'll need and how long it's going to take.  Lottie has been clear for just over two weeks now, but I'll keep her on cystease twice daily for a few more days - on a couple of occasions I reduced it back to one at two weeks and the cysititis has come back, so I've learnt my lesson now - another week is needed!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 20:33:32 PM »
Have to say after doing the 2 Diabetics Sweetie and Tiger feral, injecting Inca feral with Heparin twice a day for 6 weeks and various other steroids, antibiotics and the antivenom for Sunny when he was bitten by the adder I now always ask does that come in injection form so much easier quicker and no chance of loosing skin!!! :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 19:37:27 PM »
No more , she has had 7 and that usually does it, thank goodness.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 19:05:49 PM »
What a relief you managed with the injections and Fifi seems better.  Does Fifi have to have any more injections to complete a course, or is that it for now?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 16:54:42 PM »
So pleased it went well............I was always a nervous wreck no matter how many I did.  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 15:58:29 PM »
Definitely Liz, I still have all my fingers doing injections and not tablets !

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 14:46:23 PM »
Way to go Gill and Fifi and injections are so much easier than tableting here

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 14:29:48 PM »
Well, Fifi is now ok again for now .
Pauline did Fridays injection and showed me how to do it.
I am really proud of myself for doing them Sat and Sun, but when a cat needs helping you have no choice .
She never batted a eyelid either , much easier than trying to pill her.
They are Baytril injections.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
How did you get on with the infections over the weekend - hopefully it went okay for you and Fifi?  How is she today?

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Are things easing at all for Fifi (and you)?  I know it's not easy.  Is she trying to go constantly when she's awake or does she manage to relax a bit?  How long does Fifi normally have cystitis for?  Lottie used to get in on and off for a few days, then she had one occasion it was on for a month and last time it was about two and half weeks.

I hope the injections go well - let us know how you get on with it.   It's great if you can avoid those long trips for a few days.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 22:18:17 PM »
If its just under the skin and Fifi is placid , then not too much a problem.

I always used get extra syringes full!

One thing is the skin of a cat is quite tough and if it the contents of the the syringe looks like water an very fine needle is preferable. You dont just pin prick the skin cos it will hurt them but one jab and straight in and not through!

Is it in the scruff?

You wouldnt have known this but a two hundred mil ? syringe I found easier to use cos its short and stuby and fits easier into hand and therefore more controllable.

It would have been good for the vet to let you have a try with distilled water......I think thats what they use.

Good luck

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 21:44:35 PM »
Can you practise on a cushion cover or something? Not sure I'd know how hard to poke ! Good that you have the jabs. Hope they start working soon.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 21:37:06 PM »
Not yet Gill !
He has drawn up 3 injections tonight to last till Monday . Pauline is coming tomorrow and going to show me how to inject. Have seen the vet do it hundreds of times ,but not done it myself.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 14:59:55 PM »
Hope that the meds are starting to kick in  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
Luckily I only needed one lot of injections this time for Lottie, but last time she had to have four lots of injections every other day.  Based on this, hopefully you see an improvement soon if you haven't already.  You may not want to give Fifi cat milk, but I give Lottie a small amount with a few drops of water added to keep up her liquid intake during cystitis. 

How is she today?  Is she constantly trying to go when she's awake, or does she manage to relax sometimes?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
Aww Bungly. Sounds like you need some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope vet lets you have the jab, 30 miles a day is no joke.   :car:

Does Fifi look any better at all, even a little bit?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 23:35:57 PM »
Yes, she had 2 sat. Then the tablet problem on Sun. Then a different 2 day one Monday , then the other one yesterday and today !

Hoping tomorrow will bring improvement.
Pauline is coming Friday and she has ask me to see if the vet will let me have Fridays injection and she will do it , save on one days petrol as it's a 30 mile round trip every day.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 23:01:33 PM »
Glad you're both home safe tonight. Look after yourself  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 22:35:12 PM »
Need to give em time to work  :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 22:26:06 PM »
Just another injection and back tomorrow. She doesn't seem much better either!

Link to CatChat