Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: hi
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Well, Mrs P, make sure you keep us updated on Robbie Smithie.  :Luv:

We have a section called Our Cat Stories that would be perfect for your updates, and it's also extremely helpful to other allergy sufferers to know how Cleo copes with the new addition to the family.

With all my heart I hope you found your purrfect family pet. Congratulations  :you go girl:

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Smokey (desceased)
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: thank you all sooooooooooooooooooooooo much cleo's really looking forward to having a cat in the house again she said to me yesterday she's misses having a cat, i cant wait to meet him, patsy at the rescue centre said his name is robbie but if we can we think we may change it to smithy ( cleo likes Gavin and Stacey lol)
ill keep you all posted as to what happens xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 ;D ;D ;D :hug: :thanks:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
Everything crossed for you and (insert cat name here ??) who is just gorgeous. Cleo must be pleased too.  :hug: :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »
He is a very handsome chap indeed! I so hope he and Cleo can cohabit. I'm sure Cleo does too! Lots of petal cleanse and anti-histamines
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 22:15:16 PM »
What a lovely looking boy!  :Luv2: Hope it works out for you all :crossed:

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 21:44:39 PM »
How fantastic  ;D He is a stunning boy  :Luv: :Luv: and yes he does resemble the oriental/siamese I think thats because the Burmese breed is related to them  ;D

I hope all goes well for you and that your daughter is ok with him, can't wait to hear for a happy ending  :hug: :hug: Keep us updated  :)

Denise
Xxx

The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 14:32:35 PM »
Thats wonderful and he is so handsome  ;D

Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out, and that sounds a very good and sensible rescue centre  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »
Oh how lovely.  Was about to suggest perhaps Cleo could go visit him to see how she reacts but prob not a good idea with all the other animals there  :doh: 

Hope all works out well  :hug:

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »
hi everyone thank you all so much for your great advice just thought i'd update you on what's going on, so i contacted a rescue centre called the rushden rescue centre the nice lady there has a 1 year old burmese although he does look at bit oriental in the face to me but then what would i know ill try and attach the pic she emailed me, so anyway he's 1 and he will cost me £120 BUT she said that under the circumstances if things dont work out with cleos asthma then she'll take him back and give me my money back too   ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 13:23:33 PM »
 :welcome: Sorry to hear about smokey  :hug:

Re the allergies, i can vouch for petal cleanse making a remarkable difference although dont know if it would work for all- a close friend of mine used to come out in full body hives and his face would swell up just standing inside my flat for 10 minutes (which had 1 feline inhabitant) after a few weeks of petal cleanse he could stroke my cat with just an itchy sensation and sneezing.obviously not a total cure but he moved away soon after so we didnt continue with petal cleansing poor lucifer so might well have been given enough time. His allergic reaction was fairly extreme and scary to see so can understand your caution

my sister is also allergic to furred animals according to doctors and was very allergic to her boyfriends mothers cat. She has a beautiful cat now that she isnt allergic to  ;D he was a foster of mine that she noticed she wasnt reacting to and fell in love with and the rescue allowed her to trial before adoption to check it wasnt an exposure time thing.  so some cats are certainly less of a problem than others but im not sure how much it has to do with breeds. dont give up hope!!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 20:12:09 PM »
 :welcome: Mrs P

So sorry about your Smokey, he was a lovely boy  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 19:35:04 PM »
denise he is gorgeous such a handsome lad  :hug: xx

:thanks:  :hug:

Den
Xx
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 

Den22

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 19:23:46 PM »
Such a complicated illness  :hug: :hug:

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 19:22:03 PM »
hi all cleo had the full blood test one she had lots of blood taken it was found the cat dander was off the page and she was allergic to dogs, feathers and pollen, dust, my dad has a dog she has no issues with her as long as mitzi is bathed once a week if she goes longer cleo comes out in blotches and weepy stingy eyes (mitzi is a yorkie) my aunty looks after her neighbours dog and cleo has no issues with him (leo is a jack russell) and my aunty has 2 budgies that have no effect on cleo,  also when we moved into my husbands house last june after we got married he had no pets so there was no cat dander he also had furniture so i got rid of my bed and couches so the house was dander free yet she still had 3 attacks between june and december????

confused xxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 17:56:23 PM »
This may be of interest .... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1209204.stm   ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 17:23:49 PM »
Hi again JayJust as a matter of interest, what type of allergy tests did Cleo have? Was it the LAST test or the 'prick' test? I know both types can be inaccurate esp in terms of animal allergies. I am stupidly allergic to dogs and my eyes will itch, puff up and water etc. (despite the tests showing dogs as less of a trigger than cats!) Needless to say I still don't manage to stay away from dogs (I'm a sucker for cuteness!) but I have got the habit of washing my hands etc as soon as poss after touching a dog (or an unfamiliar cat), so I avoid the problems reasonably well. I really hope something works out for you. Things do have a habit of turning up when least expected!
Bronagh
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 15:48:13 PM »
I think that asthmatics vary a lot and as they get older they seem to be hardcore believers that things will trigger their asthma.

This is not helped by the medical people who are just plain anti cat as are those involved with babies.

Your daughter is not yet in the category at the top and I think its worth seeing if you can maybe foster a cat as long as the rescue understand that it may have to suddenly go back if your daughters asthma flairs up bad.

I have read about many who have become desensitized but the problem often is the 'many trigger' and this is the problem with my sister who is well into the top category.

Presumably in the allergy tests they have also said what else she has a problem with?

My sister is allergic to fur, feathers, dust and loads of stuff, including eggs and most dairy products but all of this was not the case when she was younger. Also gluten.  However despite all of this she has never had to go into hospital and doesnt take meds on a regular basis.............go think LOL

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 15:06:54 PM »
denise he is gorgeous such a handsome lad  :hug: xx

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 15:00:00 PM »
My male Oriental Shorthair Fudge is a Fawn Fudge colour and Ariel my girl Bengal is like a little brown leopard  :Luv:

Also a thought Have you tried Air purifiers as this would reduce and filter particles that are in the air ?

Denise
Xxx

Den22

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 13:52:49 PM »
denise if you dont mind me asking what colours are your cats? i read on a website light coloured and females produce less dander xxx

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 13:23:04 PM »
Hi Jay not sure if this will help but I also have a  son and 5 year old grandson (who live with me ) that suffer from Asthma we did a bit of reserch online to find out which cat would be ok around sufferers and we are now owned by Fudge an Oriental shorthair and Ariel our Bengal  ;D Orientals are known for being great cats for people that suffer from allergies as their coats are very short so they don't shed much and don't need grooming   ;D Bengals are also said to be good around sufferers as they too don't shed much although she does lose more hair then the oriental .
I know Orientals may not be everyones choice of breed due to their unique looks but I must say I have never had a more loving cat everything you read about them online is so true to the breed and they really are a fantastic breed and most important is that my son and grandson have never had a reaction to him  :)

Hope this helps  :hug:

Denise
Xxx
:welcome: to Purrs, Smokey was gorgeous, such a wonderful friend to share your life with.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a good debate and always question so-called "medical expertise" but as your daughter is hypersensitive, then could breaking off all domestic contact with the furry species now make occasional contact worse in later years?

I'm also questioning your doctors advice to ditch the cat, when your daughter's worst attacks occur when she's outdoors - not in the vicinity of the cat at all?

My neightbour's son is fourteen and had been told the same thing - she was devastated and I offered her a pack of Pets at Home anti-allergen wipes to try. These work for my catsitter too who suffers allergic breathing difficulties when in my house. I have eight cats - all shedders, one particularly prone to dander.

Anyway back to the neighbour - now she wipes the cat each morning while he feeds and her son's asthma has all but vanished, so the cat got to stay after all. Happy families.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/Anti-Allergy-Wipes-for-Cats-and-Dogs-10-Pack-by-Pets-at-Home-15507

I think petalcleanse has similar ingredient, but should work out much cheaper as you buy the liquid and spray it on a clean cloth. They also do household de-allergens and reckon it can take up to 3 weeks to get a house properly free of the causes.

Maybe, if your daughter's asthma attacks have improved since poor Smokey passed away, I could support your doctor's instruction, but I'm not sure this is the case? If not I would be looking to other environmental causes as well.

thank you all, im going to research on the net today which cats give off the least dander, i've heard of petal cleanse but going to read the link thanks sam  ;D i did read that if you wipe the cat down with a damp cloth once a week that reduces the dander too anyone else heard of that? ? xxx

Yes, I think the Pets at Home wipes would qualify as exactly that  :)

I also wondered if a rescue would "lend" you a cat to try out, one they knew to have less dander, with these new preventatives we're all banging on about. I don't mean to use your daughter, or the cat as a Guinea Pig but just to see if there is an improvement? Hmm?  :innocent:

thank denise, sheilarose i have to say you may be right smokey past in october cleo had a attack in december and ended up in hdu again, in the summer hayfever sets her off too and also she has suffered from an attack after an extremely stressful situation too so i think she has many triggers, i rang a nurse for asthma uk today and she was lovely and sympathetic but her advice was dont take the risk  :( but there must be a way? x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
I always assumed that you couldn't really see dander, it was just in the air like dust, but as I'm no expert either who knows!  I think it is a bit naughty of people to make claims like that, I hope they undertake to have the cats returned to them if they do cause allergies 
although I do agree that benglie fur is rather lovely!

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
when you say shed Den do you mean fur?
   Fur and dander, like I said I'm not an expert but I have read it in articles

Their pelt is sleek & can be either spotted or marbled. They are very soft & satiny to the touch. People with pet allergies might prefer a Bengal, because Bengals have pelt instead of fur making shedding and dander much less than usual. Often people with pet allergies will find their allergies do not exist around these gorgeous cats, making them a remarkable pet for just about any household!

http://www.enchantedwindbengals.com/BengalHome.html

I really don't know how true this is as I know all cats will shed fur and Dander to some degree as for how much depends on the breed I'm going by my own personal experience with my son and Grandsons Asthma and reactions but then their Asthma may not be as severe as Jays Daughter.

Denise
Xxx
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:47:07 PM by den22 »

Den22

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Smokey was gorgeous, such a wonderful friend to share your life with.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a good debate and always question so-called "medical expertise" but as your daughter is hypersensitive, then could breaking off all domestic contact with the furry species now make occasional contact worse in later years?

I'm also questioning your doctors advice to ditch the cat, when your daughter's worst attacks occur when she's outdoors - not in the vicinity of the cat at all?

My neightbour's son is fourteen and had been told the same thing - she was devastated and I offered her a pack of Pets at Home anti-allergen wipes to try. These work for my catsitter too who suffers allergic breathing difficulties when in my house. I have eight cats - all shedders, one particularly prone to dander.

Anyway back to the neighbour - now she wipes the cat each morning while he feeds and her son's asthma has all but vanished, so the cat got to stay after all. Happy families.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/Anti-Allergy-Wipes-for-Cats-and-Dogs-10-Pack-by-Pets-at-Home-15507

I think petalcleanse has similar ingredient, but should work out much cheaper as you buy the liquid and spray it on a clean cloth. They also do household de-allergens and reckon it can take up to 3 weeks to get a house properly free of the causes.

Maybe, if your daughter's asthma attacks have improved since poor Smokey passed away, I could support your doctor's instruction, but I'm not sure this is the case? If not I would be looking to other environmental causes as well.

thank you all, im going to research on the net today which cats give off the least dander, i've heard of petal cleanse but going to read the link thanks sam  ;D i did read that if you wipe the cat down with a damp cloth once a week that reduces the dander too anyone else heard of that? ? xxx

Yes, I think the Pets at Home wipes would qualify as exactly that  :)

I also wondered if a rescue would "lend" you a cat to try out, one they knew to have less dander, with these new preventatives we're all banging on about. I don't mean to use your daughter, or the cat as a Guinea Pig but just to see if there is an improvement? Hmm?  :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
when you say shed Den do you mean fur?

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
I have read this about Bengals some people claim that due to their soft pelt inherited by there wild ancestors they tend to shed less not sure how true this is as I'm not an expert on the breed I have come across some that shed more then others luckily I have had no problem with Ariel as she doesn't shed much and my son and Grandson have had no problems  :crossed: but that can't be guaranteed with all bengals

I would say Orientals are probably a better choice  ;)

Denise
Xxx

Den22

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
Hello Mrs P and  :welcome:  to Purrs  :)   Smokey was a very handsome cat  :hug: Hope you are able to find a solution to your problem.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
I would find out a bit more about petal cleanse - I have a bengal myself and am know people involved in breeding and showing and I have to say I've never heard the claim that they are better for allergies I've actually known a fair few come into rescue because of allergies.  Obviously the last thing you want is to take on a pet and find you can't keep it - maybe you could test petal cleanse on a friends pet?  I don't normally agree with animal experiments you understand  :naughty:

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
I have also put a link for you for top Hypoallergenic cat breeds

http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

Denise
Xxx

Den22

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
Hi Jay not sure if this will help but I also have a  son and 5 year old grandson (who live with me ) that suffer from Asthma we did a bit of reserch online to find out which cat would be ok around sufferers and we are now owned by Fudge an Oriental shorthair and Ariel our Bengal  ;D Orientals are known for being great cats for people that suffer from allergies as their coats are very short so they don't shed much and don't need grooming   ;D Bengals are also said to be good around sufferers as they too don't shed much although she does lose more hair then the oriental .
I know Orientals may not be everyones choice of breed due to their unique looks but I must say I have never had a more loving cat everything you read about them online is so true to the breed and they really are a fantastic breed and most important is that my son and grandson have never had a reaction to him  :)

Hope this helps  :hug:

Denise
Xxx

Den22

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »
dander is dried saliva so I doubt that any cats give or less than others, there was talk about siberian cats being less of a trigger but that turned out not to be true

:( :'(

x

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
The allergens in cats are from a protein (Fel d 1) in their saliva, which, when they groom, dries on their and skin (in the form of dander). Shorter-haired cats seem to have less dander. The Sphynx, which is thought of as hairless, but has very short, very fine hair, is sometimes claimed to be allergen-free, although some might dispute that. The same claims are made about the various Rex breeds (Devon Rex, Cornish Rex, etc.), all of which have very fine coats which don't tend to trap the dander quite as much. Another breed, the Siberian Cat, is said to secrete less Fel d 1 than other cats, so that despite its very thick, long coat, may be less allergenic.

i've just read this but then i read something else that says the opposite im getting so dis heartened  :( :-[

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
dander is dried saliva so I doubt that any cats give or less than others, there was talk about siberian cats being less of a trigger but that turned out not to be true

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 22:23:19 PM »
Hello Jay a big  :welcome: to Purrs so glad you have joined us  ;D I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Smokey was a very beautiful boy  :hug:

Denise
Xxx

Den22

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 21:34:28 PM »

Hi   :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

So sorry to hear about smokey  :hug:  With regardfs to your daughters allergy have you tried a product call petal cleanse it is recommended Allergy UK  http://www.biolife-international.co.uk/

Any animal with fur or feathers can cause a reaction. This is caused by peoples' sensitivity to potent allergen Fel D1 that is prevalent is cats, Can F1 in dogs and the microfiber dander, saliva and urine from all small animals. Constant bathing of pets can dry out their coats and cause stress to all concerned.

Petal Cleanse/ C is a surfactant based solution that removes from the coats of small animals the allergens and dander that cause allergic reactions in humans.  Petal Cleanse/ C is suitable for cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and any furry small animals.

Petal Cleanse has been independently tested in the UK and throughout Europe, and has been found to be safe, effective and easy to use.

All Bio-Life products have been award Allergy UK's chemical friendly award.

http://www.biolife-international.co.uk/shop/article_PC1/PetalCleanse_C-Lotion.html?shop_param=cid%3D2%26aid%3DPC1%26
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 21:31:08 PM »
I have a longhair cat and he gets loads of dander but the semi longhairs dont show any, although sure its there.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 21:30:34 PM »
The doctors don't know everything. My docs said the same thing. I was miserable without a cat and was a pain til we got another one! And stress can affect an asthma sufferer as much as an allergy. It's a well known fact that cats are excellent for stress relief!  :rofl:  Cleo does come first though. Hopefully she will soon have a lessening of symptoms too. Xx
I'll love you forever

Offline mrs P

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 21:24:22 PM »
As a kid, I also had nasty asthma and allergy tests said the same as your daughter. We were catless for over a year until my dad and I wore mum down. It is possible to become desensitised to the dander but obviously it would take time and be risky in the interim. I seem to remember my consultant saying the finer the coat, the worse the allergy. Maybe a sphynx cat (with a woolly jumper) would be a compromise? Also, as your daughter gets older, shell be more aware of the warning signs and be able to manage herself better. The pre teen years are the worst. Xxx  I am now happily owned by 4 cats!

i read that somewhere to about cats that were fluffyer it said that they sweat less i think so there skin doesnt dry as much therefore doesnt produce so much dander it gave me a glimmer of hope im scared to take the risk, my daughters doctor at the hospital already thinks im a bad mum because when the results came back he instantly said the cat has to go to which i said smokey stays and cleo my daughter or my hubby didnt want him going anywhere either, we looked into air filter systems and allsorts before smokey past. xxx

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 17:52:53 PM »
As a kid, I also had nasty asthma and allergy tests said the same as your daughter. We were catless for over a year until my dad and I wore mum down. It is possible to become desensitised to the dander but obviously it would take time and be risky in the interim. I seem to remember my consultant saying the finer the coat, the worse the allergy. Maybe a sphynx cat (with a woolly jumper) would be a compromise? Also, as your daughter gets older, shell be more aware of the warning signs and be able to manage herself better. The pre teen years are the worst. Xxx  I am now happily owned by 4 cats!
I'll love you forever

Link to CatChat