Author Topic: Daisy the bored young lady..  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
Re: Daisy the bored young lady..
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 15:29:55 PM »
We have a spacious 2 bed flat, with central hallway, kitchen, bathroom, large master, smaller guest and a v large front room

Sounds similar to the flat I lived in with two cats for 13 years before we moved to our current home.  Felt big enough for two.  As long as there's sufficient room for each of them to chill out separately ........

hmmm....

Good advice that, I'll discuss with my other half - I'm starting to feel the space thing is less of an issue, and having a friend would provide a lot of stimulation.

As for doors, she's a bl**dy nightmare! Thing is I'm a light sleeper, so whilst my mrs is snoring next to me I'm the one jumping out of bed and putting a black squeeky spider glove on at 3am to have a bit of a fight with Daisy to tire her out!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 15:30:15 PM by Fitzchiv »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 15:23:40 PM »
Ha,ha cats really hate closed doors my old cat used to insist on me opening them not because she wanted to get through, just because she liked all the door open.

If you are thinking of getting another cat I would go to a rescue and talk to them as they will know which of their cats will get on with others, also if the worst comes to the worst you can take them back. Having lived with two female cats that hated each other for about 7 years, it's pretty miserable for everyone involved and impossible if they are indoor only.  I have a brother and sister now and they are indoor at the moment, they do spend a lot of time together and chase and play everyday. It means I don't feel bad about leaving them on their own as well which is great.   

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 15:05:15 PM »
We have a spacious 2 bed flat, with central hallway, kitchen, bathroom, large master, smaller guest and a v large front room

Sounds similar to the flat I lived in with two cats for 13 years before we moved to our current home.  Felt big enough for two.  As long as there's sufficient room for each of them to chill out separately ........

hmmm....

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 15:01:26 PM »

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 13:56:46 PM »
Glad Daisy has perked up, maybe she was having a few off days.

Is Daisy an indoor cat?

I would certainly recommend da-bird and da-mousey if you haven't already got one, brilliant exercise and great fun.

The best thing I did for my indoor boycat Cashie was get him a little girlfriend, I was so lucky, they hit it off very well, they are now inseparable and spend hours stalking and
play-fighting with each other and it is such fun to watch.  So maybe in time you might think of getting her a little companion?

My two also like getting involved with chores like changing the bed and hanging the laundry on the airer (not so keen on hoovering though!!)

Izzy likes watching nature programmes on the tv, especially "Cats of Claw Hill" and of course they both love watching the birds outside so if you can have a few bird feeders around the outside of the house/flat, that gives them something to watch.

Cats do sleep for hours though, especially during the day so I think Daisy in normal.  I have heard that torites are more adventurous and restless than other cats, not sure if there is any truth in this, I did know a tortie girl once and she was completely hyperactive!

Jo

The plan at the moment is definitely to get another, to be honest the main blocker on that is me at the moment as I'm concerned about the amount of space we have - I wouldn't want to make the situation worse by a cramped living enviroment. We have a spacious 2 bed flat, with central hallway, kitchen, bathroom, large master, smaller guest and a v large front room - my experience has always been with outdoor cats so perhaps I'm over cautious about her having enough space.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 13:54:15 PM »
What a beautiful girl.
Do you involve her in things that are going on in the house?
It sound potty, but I've always talked to my cats, and encouraged them to join in whatever I'm doing, so although she was getting on when I got her, Cora will 'help' with making beds, cooking, gardening, when I'm on the computer and so on.  She watches telly with me, and gets quite upset if I switch it off when she's engrossed in something, and will 'chat' quite happily about whatever she's been up to. 

Of course, if you are not as potty as me, and don't want the neighbours to think you are some kind of witch, there is also a cat toy I've been reading about called Da Bird, which is supposd to be quite good.

As it happens we do yes, she tends to be in the room we're in if she's awake, and will sit and play whilst we're cooking or whatever it is we're doing - she's generally treated as one of us! We don't actively seek her out to involve her though, which is maybe something we could do to improve things. Since the time of posting she's taken to scratching at the bottoms or doors - yet when they're opened for her to have a look, she's not bothered!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 13:09:02 PM »
Glad Daisy has perked up, maybe she was having a few off days.

Is Daisy an indoor cat?

I would certainly recommend da-bird and da-mousey if you haven't already got one, brilliant exercise and great fun.

The best thing I did for my indoor boycat Cashie was get him a little girlfriend, I was so lucky, they hit it off very well, they are now inseparable and spend hours stalking and
play-fighting with each other and it is such fun to watch.  So maybe in time you might think of getting her a little companion?

My two also like getting involved with chores like changing the bed and hanging the laundry on the airer (not so keen on hoovering though!!)

Izzy likes watching nature programmes on the tv, especially "Cats of Claw Hill" and of course they both love watching the birds outside so if you can have a few bird feeders around the outside of the house/flat, that gives them something to watch.

Cats do sleep for hours though, especially during the day so I think Daisy in normal.  I have heard that torites are more adventurous and restless than other cats, not sure if there is any truth in this, I did know a tortie girl once and she was completely hyperactive!

Jo

Offline SuzynCora

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Cora
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 13:13:55 PM »
What a beautiful girl.
Do you involve her in things that are going on in the house?
It sound potty, but I've always talked to my cats, and encouraged them to join in whatever I'm doing, so although she was getting on when I got her, Cora will 'help' with making beds, cooking, gardening, when I'm on the computer and so on.  She watches telly with me, and gets quite upset if I switch it off when she's engrossed in something, and will 'chat' quite happily about whatever she's been up to. 

Of course, if you are not as potty as me, and don't want the neighbours to think you are some kind of witch, there is also a cat toy I've been reading about called Da Bird, which is supposd to be quite good.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 19:04:50 PM »
Same with my tortie lady  ;D

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 14:44:53 PM »
That's a beautiful tummy she has there!  :Luv2:

Yeh, you try touching that...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 14:05:24 PM »
That's a beautiful tummy she has there!  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 13:50:06 PM »
She is gorgeous  ;D ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 13:17:58 PM »
very cute!

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 13:11:01 PM »
Think it must have just been a "phase" as her mood has perkec considerably up in the last day or so, took these last night and this morning (this is what I have to put up with when playing a bit of Xbox ;-))

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 17:48:18 PM »
Mine are all sleepy most of time at moment and so am I lol

Reckon its the weather.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 15:44:48 PM »
Yeh she's a right strange bag of markings, her face is similar in mix/colour to her "uncle" Tigger (my cat who lives with my parents after I left home) who's half-domestic half Scottish wildcat (he's massive, looks like a brute, but a huge softy)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 15:32:44 PM »
sounds like she is pretty lucky to have you taking such good care of her - I have four all of them have a different character and you do notice changes, they are all very lazy at the moment because of the cold weather

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 15:30:29 PM »
I'm the same with my two, I notice any tiny change in their behaviour and wonder if they're okay!

She's gorgeous, by the way, I like the tabby markings on her face.  :Luv:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 15:26:18 PM »
Fair enough, I guess because it's just the three of us we notice quite sharply if there's a change in her behaviour. I'll be honest, she tends to be quite whiney and cool with me regardless, but i'm the main source of "rough play" and I guess she sometimes thinks "not now, can't be bothered"

We'll keep an eye on here, just want to head off any distress before it beds in really.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 15:18:19 PM »
Cats are pretty independent creatures, and, compared to dogs, quite self-sufficient. Bear in mind too that it's winter and cats are sensible when it comes to staying warm and conserving energy!

Unless she's actually fretting or acting strangely (sleeping a lot is not strange for a cat!), it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with her.  :)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 14:54:29 PM »

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
Daisy the bored young lady..
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 14:49:10 PM »
I posted on here a good 8-10 months ago, re: our funny little Tort, Daisy.

Well, next week we'll have had her a year since homing her - with her 16 months old now. It's been a lovely year, it's fair to say our lives revolve round her (I had to drive 20min each way home and back this lunchtime because I hadn't turned the immersion heater off this morning and know the sound when it reaches top heat scares her!).

The thing i'd like to talk about is keeping her engaged. I've noticed over the last month or so she's less interested in her toys, and tends to retire to her laundry basket (one of those material ones with a giant slinky holding it together - on its side - on a counch. It's called the "couch cave") around the time we get home from work on week-days, and bar the odd half hour will sleep there until roughly when we go to bed. Now, we try and get her out and have play time - but when she's not in the mood, she's not in the mood!

She has a cat tree, various shelves, nooks, crannys, a nice big sunny windowledge to watch the world go by - but I can see what I think is a bit of boredom creeping in.

So, my question is essentially does anyone have any advice for re-engaging and keeping her stimulated as she becomes more adult? We're more than willing to put the time and effort in, it just seems a bit misdirected at the moment.

I would try rotating her toys but to be honest she doesn't seem interested in most of them.

Cheers

F

Link to CatChat