Author Topic: Fleas, Frontline not stopping them!  (Read 10450 times)

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
Re: Fleas, Frontline not stopping them!
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 13:15:00 PM »
Well I've combed the cats this evening and the fleas I am pulling out seemed totally stunned, hardly moving at all, probably dying (hopefully!!).

It is advisable to leave combing for 24 hours to allow fleas to die,combing too soon lessens effect of treatment.

oh dear i read somewhere that combing was advised but dont know where i saw that. thx for the info
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Well I've combed the cats this evening and the fleas I am pulling out seemed totally stunned, hardly moving at all, probably dying (hopefully!!).

It is advisable to leave combing for 24 hours to allow fleas to die,combing too soon lessens effect of treatment.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
Yes sorry i think i said earlier that i sprayd the housr :-)
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline SuzynCora

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Cora
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
I spray all the carpets and furniture, spring and autumn, and haven't had fleas for years.
The trick is to make sure you do all the corners and crevices, around the skirting boards etc.
It's not just about killing the fleas, you have to kill the eggs as well.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 23:23:36 PM »
Mine are flea free too, (Advantage) no midnight scratching sessions tonight. Yayy  :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 21:26:26 PM »
Thats great  ;D ;D

I gave Lupin some Stronghold last night for his one flea!

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 19:26:07 PM »
totally clear of fleas now! The advantage was brilliant  :dance:
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »
This sounds promising  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 17:52:36 PM »

Happy New Year  :lol2: :clap:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 17:48:05 PM »
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 17:46:47 PM »
If you read the packaging carefully, you'll see that BM Double action is exactly the same strength as Advantage (just for future reference).  Another great thing about Advantage and BMDA is that the active ingredient (imidacloprid) also kills ear mites--I learned this from the vet awhile back when I was dealing with an ear mite infection in my old Bridge kitty, which had also spread to my dog--it saved me a lot of hassle (and money on ear mite drops).

oh so the pets at home woman was wrong then about them being different strengths! Good to know this! Thank you :)
Also good to know about the ear mites too!
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 17:03:45 PM »
I too have switched from frontline to advantage.  I used to use advantage from the vet then it became easier to use frontline as it was available without a prescription but now that you can get advantage without prescription I've started using that again and it is doing the business.  Mosi has a bit of a flea allergy so if he has fleas he scratches a lot.  The Advantage has done the trick though.

Offline Dawnin8r

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 16:26:39 PM »
If you read the packaging carefully, you'll see that BM Double action is exactly the same strength as Advantage (just for future reference).  Another great thing about Advantage and BMDA is that the active ingredient (imidacloprid) also kills ear mites--I learned this from the vet awhile back when I was dealing with an ear mite infection in my old Bridge kitty, which had also spread to my dog--it saved me a lot of hassle (and money on ear mite drops).
Feline Cat Rescue--Internet Appeals

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 16:07:03 PM »
Hope it works  ;D

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 13:10:20 PM »
Right I've been out to buy the Bob Martin double action, only it's nowhere to be found round here... even petsathome across the city was showing 2 in stock so we went over there earlier and they'd not got them as apparently they'd been stolen if the computer was showing them as in stock :( So I was talking to the girl that worked there and she said advantage is the same ingredient as the BM double action - only a stronger version of it? So I bought that. Obviously it was far more expensive than others have quoted here - £18 for 3 pipettes but I had to get something today as the fleas are still living on the cats when I combed this morning. So I've now treated them and when I get the Fiprocat stuff delivered this week or next I will just keep it for the future! Blumming fleas be gone!!!
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 21:37:34 PM »
Yes lol but in the case of mosquitos that never happened

Offline Dawnin8r

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 21:23:44 PM »
Thats what I meant Dawn and one potential problem now is that many vets have switched to advantage!

True, but I'm hoping that by the time the fleas develop a resistance to Advantage, they'll have become vulnerable to Frontline again. :sneaky:  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 19:56:53 PM »
Thats what I meant Dawn and one potential problem now is that many vets have switched to advantage!

Offline Dawnin8r

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 19:18:46 PM »
The active ingredient was always Fipronil.  It could be that because Frontline became easier to obtain it was more widely used and therefore the fleas developed a bit of a resistance to it. 

Oddly enough, years ago I had the same problems with Advantage, so switched to Frontline...and now I'm back on Advantage-type products again.  Maybe resistance waxes and wanes over time.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 19:14:35 PM »
I still swear by Stronghold  :innocent:

Seems like this fipronil has made the pests resistant  a bit like what happened with mosquitos and whatever.

A bit worrying cos it seems to have happened since Frontline came off prescription.............has anyone contact Frontline makers

Offline Dawnin8r

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 19:07:51 PM »
Fipronil is also the active ingredient in Frontline so I doubt there will be much difference.  Frontline stopped working on my cats, so I switched to spot-on with the active ingredient imidacloprid instead--Advantage is one such brand, but there are others.   I haven't seen any fleas since. :)

Bob Martin Double Action (NOT the standard Bob Martin flea treatment, which should be avoided liked the plague!)  is exactly the same as Advantage, bit cheaper too. I'm finding thats working better than Frontline or anything with Fipronil in it now, too.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-bob-martin-double-action-spot-on-c-3_509/bob-martin-double-action-spot-on-cats-small-dogs-p-3497

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-control-advantage-for-cats-c-3_660_873/advantage-40-small-cats-small-dogs-and-rabbits-p-1173

Yeah, Bob Martin Double Action is great--I've used it in the past as I can pick it up at Asda...but this time I'm ordering Advantage from Animed--it's £11.20 (I think) for 4 pipettes, rather than 3 so works out slightly cheaper--and delivery is free as well.   Although I have gone a little bit overboard and ordered lots of other things too. :-[

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 19:03:19 PM »
Fipronil is also the active ingredient in Frontline so I doubt there will be much difference.  Frontline stopped working on my cats, so I switched to spot-on with the active ingredient imidacloprid instead--Advantage is one such brand, but there are others.   I haven't seen any fleas since. :)

Bob Martin Double Action (NOT the standard Bob Martin flea treatment, which should be avoided liked the plague!)  is exactly the same as Advantage, bit cheaper too. I'm finding thats working better than Frontline or anything with Fipronil in it now, too.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-bob-martin-double-action-spot-on-c-3_509/bob-martin-double-action-spot-on-cats-small-dogs-p-3497

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-control-advantage-for-cats-c-3_660_873/advantage-40-small-cats-small-dogs-and-rabbits-p-1173

Offline Dawnin8r

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 17:01:43 PM »

Fiprocat contains fipronil which has been used in the treatment and prevention of on-animal flea infestations for many years. Products contains fipronil are one of the most commonly used on-animal flea treatments in veterinary practices.

50mg

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-fiprocat-fiprodog-c-3_868/fiprocat-spot-on-for-cats-50mg-p-5752

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »
I have been having "issues" with fleas recently and also found that frontline hasn't been dealing with them so I tried some FIPROCAT  Spot On for Cats 50mg - From VET UK.  I think this is different to the Fiprospot and it really worked!   

Fiprocat  Spot On Solution is for the treatment of flea infestations in cats.

This product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for the control of Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).

These pipettes are simple and reliable to use and contains a foldable stand for easy application.

Fiprocat contains fipronil which has been used in the treatment and prevention of on-animal flea infestations for many years. Products contains fipronil are one of the most commonly used on-animal flea treatments in veterinary practices.

50mg

Please Choose Size  Fiprocat 50mg 3 Pack ( £8.62 ) Fiprocat 50mg 6 Pack ( £17.15 )

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-fiprocat-fiprodog-c-3_868/fiprocat-spot-on-for-cats-50mg-p-5752

Thanks for the recommendation- just ordered some as fleas just not going away on my two despite being frontlined up and carpets treated regularly with indorex spray.
www.catrescue.uk

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 16:48:02 PM »
I have been having "issues" with fleas recently and also found that frontline hasn't been dealing with them so I tried some FIPROCAT  Spot On for Cats 50mg - From VET UK.  I think this is different to the Fiprospot and it really worked!   

Fiprocat  Spot On Solution is for the treatment of flea infestations in cats.

This product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for the control of Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).

These pipettes are simple and reliable to use and contains a foldable stand for easy application.

50mg

Please Choose Size  Fiprocat 50mg 3 Pack ( £8.62 ) Fiprocat 50mg 6 Pack ( £17.15 )

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 15:02:54 PM »
Now, this may be me over-simplifying, but I wondered, do we all get our supplies from the same place?

I use a well known on-line stockist for my Frontline supplies, I don't want to name/blame the suppliers as they've always been very reliable and the Frontline they supply has always worked until quite recently. I'm wondering about a bad batch?

I've decided to use Advantage this time - doing a "scientific" test - four cats (Tufty, Beau, Sam and Sly) on Advantage, three (Theo, Pursley and Chubby) on the usual Frontline. I'll let you know how we've got on in a week or so.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 18:31:40 PM »
There is a huge concern that Frontline isn't working anymore. We do not recommend it anymore at work - Stronghold or Advocate are what we advise.
I personally had used it for years and years but changed to Stronghold 3mths ago as it definitely wasn't working on my lot anymore

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »

Gill, I agree the Frontline doesn't seem to be as effective anymore, especially after having the ongoing problem with Molly with her flea allergy despite ensuring my two were Frontlined every 4 weeks on the dot.

However since I started using Advantage, which you can now buy online without prescription, the problem seems to be solved.

I get mine here: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/cats/flea-and-tick/Advantage_80_for_Large_Cats_and_Pet_Rabbits.html at a very reasonable price of £9.50 for 4 with free delivery.  :wow:

Well, waddyaknow, it works! Registered Beau's flea allergy and hey presto, prescription meds on the way, Brilliant Thanks Alison.
You're welcome Sheila. I can't believe how quickly Molly improved after using the Advantage. I only wish I'd known sooner.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 18:57:14 PM »
I'm using frontline (well fibrospot or something) and it still seens to be working here (with indorex for the house)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 18:42:08 PM »

Gill, I agree the Frontline doesn't seem to be as effective anymore, especially after having the ongoing problem with Molly with her flea allergy despite ensuring my two were Frontlined every 4 weeks on the dot.

However since I started using Advantage, which you can now buy online without prescription, the problem seems to be solved.

I get mine here: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/cats/flea-and-tick/Advantage_80_for_Large_Cats_and_Pet_Rabbits.html at a very reasonable price of £9.50 for 4 with free delivery.  :wow:

Well, waddyaknow, it works! Registered Beau's flea allergy and hey presto, prescription meds on the way, Brilliant Thanks Alison.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 15:00:37 PM »
I think the mild autumn has made this a particularly bad flea year which may be part of the problem. I frontline the Munchkin once per month from March through to Sept which usually prevents any flea issues but this year he brought in some fleas and harvest mites during Oct and I had to frontline him again then and again in Nov. The colder weather seems hopefully to have done the trick and knocked it on the head.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
We use Program injections here and have no flea issues it makes the adults sterile so no breeding and we use Programme tablets on the dogs and have found them as effective and also good with ticks which we have here being in a rural location

The injections are done twice a year and this is a great free healthcheck to

Just so folks know flea eggs can lie dormant in carpets for up to 10years :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »
There seem to be more and more reports of Frontline not working and reckon the fleas are becoming resistant, so I think a change to stronghold maybe a good idea.

http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 23:55:37 PM »
Do they still make Frontline Combo which was prescription only?

Yes, and that doesnt work either!  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 22:20:44 PM »
There seem to be more and more reports of Frontline not working and reckon the fleas are becoming resistant, so I think a change to stronghold maybe a good idea.

Do they still make Frontline Combo which was prescription only?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 21:49:48 PM »
My lot are still bringing fleas in from outside.

They are all Frontline protected, and the house is Indorex protected (we have no carpets) but we still get the odd flea outbreak.

If you have carpets, do the "hoover, Indorex, hoover" thing, then repeat a week later.

This should clear the in-house fleas. Frontline should clear the on-cat fleas. After that, fleas are being introduced from the outside by

1. trips out into flealand by your cats (which will die off soon because of the Frontline)
2. trips in by outsiders.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 14:56:28 PM »
thanks! ive done the dog a few days ago ;)
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 14:55:00 PM »
So sorry to hear about BIL and sending best wishes for him.  :hug: :hug:

If the dog is with you at present I would give him some flea treatment now.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 14:49:43 PM »
Yes I think the frontline states 4 weeks but I doubt the dog was treated even 6 weeks ago tbh. BIL isn't well and having chemo and felt ill for a long while leading up to diagnosis so I can't be sure when she was actually treated. OK I will wait then til next month... grr I hate fleas :( Never had a problem before now and can't stop feeling itchy myself!!! Washed all cats bedding and have tons of BIL#s washing too so machine is on no stop  :Crazy:
www.catrescue.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 14:43:23 PM »
I use stronghold but you will need to wait for 4 weeks from using the frontline, no matter what new one you use. I think its better but its prescription only. Much cheaper online even with payment for prescription as my vets are charging double the online price.

Its starting to seem that the basic Frontline is becoming ineffective now after its been used for a while

Surely the dog needs doing every 4 weeks not six?

Link to CatChat