Author Topic: Missing frequently, subsequent road traffic accident and recovery.  (Read 9840 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Missing frequently, subsequent road traffic accident and recovery.
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 14:39:27 PM »
Cats are amazing  ;D

Arent they just! ;D  ;D ;D

excellent recovery in quite a short space of time! She's definitely made of the tough stuff  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Good Luck with the grounding  :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »
Cats are amazing  ;D

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »
Yep, she'll be fine. Her tail is functioning completely normally again, by the way, so definitely no need for amputation. She's only just started using it fully.

Definitely grounded.  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 00:06:10 AM »
Sounds very encouraging  :)

She's incredibly mobile. According to the vet, she can start going out in a bout a week or two, but I'm being rather more conservative. She can go out in a years time as far as I'm concerned.

:evillaugh: She is officially grounded!  :naughty:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 21:23:07 PM »
Yes, definitely positive signs.

I had to go over to my Mum's last weekend and too her with me while the others stayed here to be fed as normal. My Mum hadn't seen her since a few months before the accident and she seems to think she's looking better than ever. I had to point out the scar for her, because she couldn't tell where it was (and it has healed so well) and she's definitely a better weight than she has been since her pregnancy.

She's incredibly mobile. According to the vet, she can start going out in a bout a week or two, but I'm being rather more conservative. She can go out in a years time as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Superkitty

• Adult Cat
Missing frequently, subsequent road traffic accident and recovery.
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 17:43:35 PM »
That sounds positive, at least they're scared of the road. So difficult, isn't it? Fingers crossed for no more dramas for you for a while :)
Slave to Beau and Cha Cha (kitties) and Constance and Augusta (chickens).

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 13:22:29 PM »
Hi, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I don't own my house. It's also not really the kind of garden you can put it up in and far too small to confine them in permanently. Dave's the only real problem, to be honest and I'm going to have to play it by ear. The main road (where she was knocked over) is a fair way away, thankfully I'm not right on it. Brian would rather yowl at me when I cross a road than follow and the little (increasingly big) ones won't go near any roads. I've tried to take them for walks on their harnesses and they all shake like leaves and cling to me until I take them back. That's been the same very recently, too. So, touch wood and all that!  ;)

Offline Superkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
I second that - I invested in purrfect cat fencing a couple of years ago after losing Jolie on the road outside our house. It is FAB and I can't tell you what a weight has been lifted off my mind, not having to worry about where they are and whether they're safe.

They still get lots of exercise and fresh air, catch mice and voles (and the occasional rat!) and get to sun themselves under the hydrangea bush. It's great, highly recommended.
Slave to Beau and Cha Cha (kitties) and Constance and Augusta (chickens).

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 00:31:28 AM »
what a lucky little cat she is.  Might be worth investing in some Purrfect fencing, to cat proof your garden? www.purrfectfence.co.uk/photo_gallery.asp,  its not that expensive to put up, my friend at work has it as she lost her last cat on the roads and the fencing keeps her 2 in safe and well 8)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 00:34:22 AM by heather sullivan »

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 23:43:32 PM »
Okay, I wasn't sure if she needed more of something to help her mend. She does seem to be having some toilet trouble this evening, though. So tuna in oil it is, tomorrow! My vet seems to think that will help her a little. I think it's probably partly because she's still got some nerve damage. She's still on antibiotics, but I'm not sure what she's trying for...  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 23:40:37 PM »
I thinking tweaking of diet is not a good idea unless it helps her to like her food more cos its essentail she eats.

However as she is not expending much energy she is likely to eat less, i think.

Sending loads more good wishes for her recovery  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 17:16:28 PM »
It's strange, really. Because Hal is clearly quite frightened of her. Anyway, I've tried them together since - still hissing, so I'm keeping her apart from him as I caught him just before he made a swipe at her. There's no point jeprodising her recovery. She'll have Malcolm and Belle with her, but that's it. We'll work it out in another week or so, in the meantime, those two are keeping her company and are actually very sweet at giving their mummy love and cuddles.

Speaking of recovery, I had this question:

My vet didn't advise me to change her diet (it wasn't mentioned at all), but would it be a good idea to tweak it slightly in order to help her mend? She's definitely quite hungry, but is picking at foods she once liked, so it's a bit of a challenge.

Otherwise, it's so lovely to see her healing so well. She gets a bit stronger every day. It's been exactly a fortnight since the operation and she's significantly less lame.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2012, 19:02:26 PM »
Aww bless her! I'm sure she's plotting on how to get those kitties back in order once she's fit and well  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:

I dont know how factual the site is, but all of them definitely run along the same theme of scent & sensing illness/weakness, so it will at least lead you in the right direction.

Either way she's coming on in leaps and bounds considering the nastiness of her injuries (albeit with the aid of Metacam :sneaky: )

:hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 00:52:41 AM »
Metacam induced or not, she certainly looks very cosy  :Luv2:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 21:42:20 PM »
Peaceful = off her face on metacam.  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 21:40:02 PM »
She looks very peaceful there and having a happy dream  ;D

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 21:10:21 PM »
Thanks. I think I'll keep to keeping them separate for the time being while she's still not especially strong and try again in a few days. I have no desire for them to be together, really. It's just that it would be nice for Dave to sit with me while I'm downstairs, but her lack of patience for Brian and Hal's hissing is just not worth it.

Thanks for the site, funkiechicken. I think it's just the smell of her because she's mostly ignoring him. She's not displaying particularly submissive behaviour. Obviously she's limping, half bald and sleeping lots, so that isn't helping.

I'll try the sent swapping and see how we get on. Even in the two days she's been home, I can already see her getting stronger. She's shaking less when putting weight on the leg and walking is clearly easier. Admittedly, she has had painkillers in her system for the last 24 hours, but that aside.

Her bladder trouble seems to have cleared up, too.

Sleep is best...

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 19:17:32 PM »
I'd also try what Tiggy's mum said about scent swapping. (Nice to see Riley was phased by all hissing  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh: )

When Nuggie arrived home after nearly 2 weeks - Tazi punched him on the head and wasnt impressed by him at all. (it didnt last long)
On the other side of the coin Tazi was very poorly last year with a bad cold and Nuggie constantly hissed and swiped him. Granted he did breathe like Darth Vader - but Nuggie upped his abuse when he came home from the Vets  :shy:

Here's a link, might give some tips also (I hope!)

http://cats.about.com/od/amyshojai/a/How-To-Stop-Aggression-After-Vet-Visit.htm

Also on the same site I found this useful insight:

However, the lowest ranking cat (often an older, or ill kitty) can become a target picked on by the other felines. Acting like a victim (slinking around, using submissive body language, hiding) is the equivalent of wearing a "kick me" sign and invites bullies to increase their bluster. Never allow cats to "fight it out" as that rarely settles conflicts but makes matters worse.

Bless her  :Luv2: Wont be long before Dave is putting the house back in order  :Luv:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 14:29:16 PM »
You could try scent swapping, rubbing a cloth over Dave and then rubbing it on the hissing kitten and vice versa to try and get him used to her again.

When my cat spent just one night in the vets his brother was hissing at him for several days afterwards, think it was nearly a week in the end. Riley just ignored it though and kept plonking himself next to his brother and pretended he couldn't see/hear the hissing  :evillaugh:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 14:23:53 PM »
It's just a bit of bruising around her pelvis, they think. That or the stress.

At the moment it's very much a game of who I can let her mix with in the house. She won't have her brother-husband anywhere near her, but the kittens are okay so long as they don't pull her about (which for the most part they aren't). One of the kittens won't go near her, though. He's hissing and growling at me as well as Dave. He has done this before, but it hasn't gone on for as long. He hasn't been apart from any of them for as long as Dave's been gone, though. Feliway doesn't seem to be helping either of them. Any ideas?  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 00:28:10 AM »
Poor Dave, she's really in the wars isn't she :hug: Hope it clears up quickly for her :care;

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 23:29:47 PM »
She's much more comfortable now that her painkillers have done their job. Definitely tough. I've had 9 cats altogether. Never known one quite like her!  ;D

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 21:49:54 PM »
aww bless her!!  :( hopefully it wont last too long for her  :hug:

I like her system :evillaugh: it clearly works well  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 21:19:47 PM »
OMG Lauryn I'm so sorry I had completely missed this thread until tonight.  I'm so pleased Dave is home and doing well ... she really is a tough little so and so isn't she.

Sending lots and lots of heal quick vibes her way  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 19:18:06 PM »
Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Just got back from the vets. She's got a fairly icky case of cystitis and needed painkillers and antibiotics. Cystitis all over my bed, I should add.  :innocent: :doh:

Otherwise, she's moving about alone well. She has a system. It involves staring me out until I lift her up onto the windowsill.  :)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Re: Medicating behavioural problems
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 22:43:42 PM »
Thanks for all the support, I'm sure she'll be back out mousing for me before I know it.

She's got quite a comfy little set up in my guest room. I've moved in there for the week, too. My bedroom is too big for her at the moment and there's more furniture in there. She isn't pulling about too much at the moment. She's walking around a bit (who can blame her, she's been away from home for nearly 2 weeks and stuck in a pen), but the jumping is minimal. I've caught her trying and helped her up or down a couple of times. She's using a basket I got when I first had her and she was about to give birth. It's hooded and I got it so that she could have some P and Q from Brian. She didn't use it for a few weeks, but gave birth in it. I suppose it's her place to go when she's feeling a bit vulnerable. Glad she's got somewhere she feels comfortable, anyway.

The scar is going to be quite tidy, yes. There's a bit of a lumpy bit at one end. I suspect she pulled it a few days ago because it looks like what happened to Belle's neuter incision after one of the others got hold of it. She's not in the collar of shame just yet, but I have one on standby.

Thanks for the advice on changing the title, Tiggy's Mum. I kind of knew that, but only change it occasionally out of laziness and because I know it needs changing since it's now totally off topic.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 18:53:02 PM »
Aww Bless Her!!!!!!  :care:  :care:

Certainly looks like nothing keeps her down!!  :bike:

and like Gill said it looks like she's going to have a lovely neat scar, well done to the vets they've done a very tidy job (not so much on the hairdressing  :evillaugh: )

Welcome Home DAVE!!  :cheer:  :cheer: :cheer: and stay away from them roads young lady! :smack:

xx

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 18:43:33 PM »
Bless her  :Luv2:  :hug: Hope the home recovery goes OK and she's fighting fit in no time  :hug:

P.S If you want to change the title on your own thread you need to edit the title of the first post. If you change it on a later post it's only changed for that one post and then reverts back.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 18:08:58 PM »
poor little naked thing!  I actually missed all of this, I hope she does decide home is worth staying in for

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 17:47:26 PM »
So pleased she is at home and they always look thin without fur and dont think she looks too bad really  :hug: :hug:

It looks a very neat job on her scar :hug: and hope it heals quick.

Cats are so amazing in how they get up and around so quick but hope that she doesnt start jumping up and down.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Re: Medicating behavioural problems - Half cat, half machine
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 15:28:09 PM »
Davey is home! I was waiting ages in the waiting room and absolutely chomping at the bit to get her. The others have had a mixed response (I haven't let them pull her about, just let them see that she's here) which is mostly 'you smell funny'. Hal hissed at her a bit, but I know that will go. He's always like that. I expected her to be naked, but it's still shocking seeing your kitty furless, isn't it? She's skinny enough with her fur, let alone without it!

As you can see from the bottom one, she's already so desperate to get up on the windowsill that I've had to put her favourite blanket up there. She's also already asked to go out, which is not a good sign.  :scared:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 01:24:17 AM »
(Also,  :shify: do not include, like I did, a dozy relative AKA my Brother :stupid: who - knowing Nuggie was housebound - spotted "Nuggie" on his way to the shop. He scooped up the cat, took it home, fed it, watered it, cuddled and watched TV with it - until the REAL Nuggie hobbled into the living room  :rofl:  :rofl: He even rang me to ask if I had the right cat!!??!!  :rofl:  :rofl: ....Goodness knows what this poor random cat thought  :shify:  :rofl: )

:rofl: That's tickled me for the day!

For years after the "Random Nuggie Twin Cat" snuck in the cat flap for food stealing!! You'd hear it & Nuggie scrapping through the flap  :shocked: I too, was also guilty of trapping it in my house once by locking the flap one night!  :shify: I thought my 2 were acting strange the next morning, all fluffed up and walking around like bouncers!! I found the cat hiding, with eyes the size of bin lids about 12hrs after i'd locked the flap - and I only locked it to keep the thing out!!  :rofl:  :rofl: poor thing must have thought we really were Catnapping Nutters!!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Aww Bless Her  :hug:  sounds like my Tazi, much the independant but in times of need, just want their mammy and you may find that during her recovery you'll be clung to as she obviously knows she can rely on you  :hug:
I hope this doesnt change her too much, but a fear of cars is a good thing and she may still be an outdoor cat but sticking closer to home and avoiding roads. I hope so!
I must say, roads have always been my biggest fear with my cats (and I've always picked my homes based on this) my Nana lost a few on the roads over the years.
I'm just so pleased shes doing so well  :Luv2: shes certainly had you worrying of late!!  :hug:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Re: Medicating behavioural problems & RTA and recovery
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
(Also,  :shify: do not include, like I did, a dozy relative AKA my Brother :stupid: who - knowing Nuggie was housebound - spotted "Nuggie" on his way to the shop. He scooped up the cat, took it home, fed it, watered it, cuddled and watched TV with it - until the REAL Nuggie hobbled into the living room  :rofl:  :rofl: He even rang me to ask if I had the right cat!!??!!  :rofl:  :rofl: ....Goodness knows what this poor random cat thought  :shify:  :rofl: )

:rofl: That's tickled me for the day!

Not a lot phases my David Cat, so I'll have to just hope that she's had a personality transplant as well as a metal hip. She spent so much time living outside, so it's really her original owner's fault. She can't help herself. The only time she ever stayed in properly was when she was heavily pregnant. I've never known her to be clingy, but she really was and still is on her own terms. I couldn't so much as leave the room for 2 minutes in the 11 hours of labour she went through. I had to run and get the phone to ask the vet for help at one point and she chased me with one of the kittens half out of her.  :doh:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:50 AM »
 :wow: go Dave!! She's a real tough cookie, bless her  :hug:  :hug: and great news about her tail  ;D

Great idea from SheilaRose about the ramps! Would certainly drastically reduce further strain should the temptation of the window be too much (cats do love a good nosy  :evillaugh: )

Awful though it sounds and it's been such a difficult time for us, but I'm hoping that she'll be scared of traffic like Nuggie. I'm hoping that her injuries slow her down and that some good can come out of this.

I hope so too  :hug:  :hug: it certainly changed Nuggies perception of the outside world  :shy: and if the best you get is an more cautious cat where traffic is concerned you can at least rest easy when she's out  :Luv2:  :hug:

I didnt even know Nuggie had been ran over until I got him to the vets. He was found, in a very sorry dirty state in a neighbours garden. In an awful lot of pain, even his paws were bleeding  :'( - which apparently is common sign of road/impact injury the vet said?  :shy:
Thankfully he was at a vets not far and they did visiting times (interesting discussion with the boss on that one LOL) Its such a great feeling getting them home  :Luv2:  :Luv2: he was then greeted with a swift punch in the face from his brother Tazi  :rofl: not sure if it was a "where've you been" or "i thought i'd got rid of you forever, dammit"  :rofl:  :rofl:

Big Hugs to you & Dave  :hug:  :hug:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 23:00:28 PM »
I'd heard that, but with our 200 bank holidays and me being away, it may be hard to arrange.  :-:

I'd thought about seeking other alternatives if she's in a terrible old state. They wanted me to keep her on cage-rest for about a fortnight originally, but that was before we'd arranged her to stay with them longer. So it might just turn out to be the final week, since she'll have had the operation over a week before by the time I get her.

Just want her home now.  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Medicating behavioural problems
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 22:47:27 PM »
That's a good idea Edd, and lovely to see you back :hug:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 22:34:01 PM »
Yep! But cage rest is translating to box-room rest on advice from my vet since I don't have a cage.

A lot of rescues lend out cages for a refundable deposit or small charge. Might be worth checking with any local to you  :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Re: Medicating behavioural problems & RTA and recovery
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 18:12:34 PM »
I was thinking about doing something like that as a possibility. I'll have to work something out for her, I think. I'll leave the spare bed in there and put a ramp to both that and the window and take everything else out. Since she's only a little over a year old, she's still pretty frisky.  :doh:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 13:49:00 PM »
When Theo was on "ground level" rest after his cruciate ligament op, I ended up putting a plank as a ramp to the windowsill, he was just so bored he kept trying to jump up there. With the plank at least he could walk up there and down again which gave him an extra dimension to his enclosed world.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 23:10:27 PM »
Yep! But cage rest is translating to box-room rest on advice from my vet since I don't have a cage. I'm going to clear it out for her over the bank holiday (not that there's a lot in there), because I can't get my hands on her until Wednesday and have a bit of extra time. Not sure I can wait that long!

Link to CatChat