Author Topic: Missing frequently, subsequent road traffic accident and recovery.  (Read 9841 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Medicating behavioural problems
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 22:30:21 PM »
 :wooooo: go Dave!  :) Will she have to be on cage rest when she comes home?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 18:22:25 PM »
Oh the relief. Go Dave Goooooooooo ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 15:21:50 PM »
Well done Dave  ;D ;D

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 15:01:48 PM »
I just had a call from the surgeon to say that she's already ready to be discharged! She can go as soon as tomorrow. I'm leaving for Suffolk on Friday, so they've kindly agreed to keep her until I get back as part of the fee I'm already paying. I won't get the insurance papers for another couple of days and it's a 60 mile journey, so I wouldn't be able to get her anyway, but I'm so happy that she's recovering so well. She's definitely using her tail, too. So amputation seems unlikely. The surgeon's described her recovery as 'remarkable'.  :Luv:

I have one tough little cat.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
So ppleased she is doing well after the op and long may that continue  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
Dave's out of surgery and she's doing well. I'm waiting on a call from the surgeon for more details, but she's been doing everything right. Using the litter tray still, moving about fine (all things considered).

Awful though it sounds and it's been such a difficult time for us, but I'm hoping that she'll be scared of traffic like Nuggie. I'm hoping that her injuries slow her down and that some good can come out of this.

She's such a tough little thing, I know she'll be okay now. Obviously she's been checked out thoroughly, so I'm not sure what the earlier aggression was about. Before all this happened we'd found a pattern for the time being. She was coming home most of the time without problems (this being the exception) and I knew when to keep the others separate from her. She knows that she's the only one allowed upstairs, too.

As far as I know, I have to keep her rested for a fortnight, which means she'll have the spare room. We're not expecting too many complications with healing since only the break in the pelvis was causing her problems. She's playful and has no injuries to her chest or front (bit of a scraped up face, though). I'm desperate to get her home! Just need to get my gerbils out of the spare room, or she really will have a reason to move.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 23:27:31 PM »
oh my!!  :'(  :'(

Poor Dave!!  :hug:  :hug: she's certainly been through the WARs and I am so pleased that her road to recovery, though rocky is starting with positive hurdles climbed  :hug:  :Luv2:

I was just starting to read about Dave's aggression - and was going to suggest whether she had been hurt (big cause of aggression as the weak are singled out) AND then I read on and the poor thing has been through all this  :'(  :'(

Nuggie was ran over aged 2. He lost use of his bladder, tail etc. His breathing was laboured and critical. I was caught in a catch 22 as his breathing problems meant he could die under anesthetic, but without it, the broken pelvis, lack of bodily function could also kill him too  :'( Anyway - he made a full but slow recovery and the only good thing is that he cant stand traffic, doesnt wander far and sticks to where he knows best. The bad thing was it made him a more nervous cautious cat......

BUT big loves and healing purrs to Dave  :Flowers:  :Flowers:
xxx  :hug: xxxx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Medicating behavioural problems
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 00:02:13 AM »
Pleased to hear Dave seems to be doing OK, fingers crossed the op goes smoothly and she makes a speedy recovery :hug;

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 19:45:33 PM »
Very pleased I have insurance, too or I'd have to sell a kidney - and I only have one as it is!  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 19:41:04 PM »
Loads of good wishes for the op and so pleased you have insurance  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 17:45:40 PM »
Thanks! I just did what I hope anyone else would do. Luckily, my insurance will cover this treatment and I was able to let the various vets I've seen do what they needed to do. I'm missing her lots and can't wait to get her home. Her kittens (7 months old this week) are looking for her, too.

She was taken to a vets I don't usually use and I'm pretty sure I'll switch to them after this. I mentioned one of the last times she went missing that she turned up there and they didn't contact me properly. That's one of the reasons I haven't used them, but this has completely made up for it and I can see it was just one of those things.

The surgeon she is with is actually a director of North West Surgeons, so he's based there. From what I've currently experience (emphasis on the fact that Dave has yet to go under the knife!) I'd definitely recommend them. They've been helpful in working out ways to keep me within the budget of my insurance and spent a long time talking me through the operation and the x-rays.

I've spoken to them again since my previous message and Dave's been using her litter tray today so it looks as though she doesn't have the incontinence that has worried me. They thought they might be able to operate today, but she's the third most urgent on their list and since the window for her operation is slightly bigger than most and they're working with a reduced staff, it's not too much of a problem that they haven't been able to do it yet. She'll be in with them either tomorrow morning or afternoon and home for about two weeks of rest with me after the weekend.

http://www.nwsurgeons.co.uk/

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 17:23:15 PM »
Second what Sheila said and hope that Dave fully recovers  :hug: :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 15:48:50 PM »
sending positive vibes to you and Dave    :hug:

:get well:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 15:06:05 PM »
Wow, all credit to you Lauryn, and your new vet - brill. Can you find out where the ortho vet practices usually? (my vet is an ortho surgeon and operates a "normal" small animal practise too) as I think he's worth hanging on to if possible.

Topping up the vibes for a very brave Dave, and a very worthy meowmy. Happy Christmas!  :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 14:48:01 PM »
A quick update -

I was told the outcome would probably be bleak on Christmas day. She was comfortable, but they suspected a lot of nerve damage considering the way she'd broken her pelvis. She also had to have her bladder emptied since she wasn't doing it herself still. They had the xrays done, found one serious break in the pelvis with two fractures and a tail pull injury causing more nerve damage. They also suspected she'd smashed part of her spine.

Yesterday we were able to be referred to an orthopedic surgery at Northwest Surgeons in Cheshire. I took her there yesterday and she's very much herself, just restricted by her injuries. They're fitting her with a plate to the break in her pelvis and leaving the rest alone. The part my vet thought she'd smashed is actually a birth defect, so we can leave that alone too. There's now only a slim chance she won't survive (when I was told there was a high probability that she'd have to be put to sleep the day before) and also a slight chance that she will be incontinent. The signs are pretty good, she appears to have knowingly had a wee without any help and may have been moving her tail. I've seen her stand and my surgeon seems to think her reactions are fine. We might need to amputate the tail later.

Best Christmas present I've had this year is knowing she'll probably be okay. At £2500, it's definitely the most expensive, too!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 23:30:24 PM »
Sending lots of good vibes for Dave and hope she makes a complete recovery  :hug: :hug:

I am 45-60 mins from my vet so 1 1/2 hrs round trip and used to go and visit Napoleon every single day for a month, it helps cats to have their owner visit. Sometimes had to go twice a day.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 20:26:15 PM »
Thank you all so much. Feeling slightly calmer by the hour. I think the reason they're talking about nerve damage is because she can't move her tail, but I was wondering if the lack of movement was shock related, so hopefully that is the cause. Her injuries are exclusively internal, so it's so hard to tell what's going on with her. I've seen her and the only external injury is a scrape on her face. I know this is a very common thing and she's a tough little cat (emphasis on little, she's incredibly petite, which I think may not have helped the way she was hit - she went right under the car, apparently). I'm mostly concerned since I'm packing up my clan to take them to my parents house about 45 minutes away. I hate to think I'm so far away, but the vet assures me that nothing immediate will happen to her, so I have to go. I have a 5 year old sister whose heart would break if I weren't there for Christmas morning.

I really wish I had a crystal ball that would let me know when and if I can have my baby back!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 19:57:08 PM »
We have been in this situation with 2 of our boys so know what you are going through :hug:

We had Tiger knocked down by a car shattered pelvis and in the end he had his tail amputated to but when we go to the 3 day mark they used in those days we were advised he couldn't go to the grit box but did ask the vet to put soil in to the grit box not normal cat litter and found this worked he hated cat litter in any form and we went through a lot of compost during his 6 weeks cage rest and at that time he was a big bad mean feral of 20lbs in weight

Puma also got hit by a car and ended up with his own orthopedic surgeon and a lot of cage metal work and fixtors to get him on the road to recovery and 16 weeks confined to a kitten pen he also had compost in his grit box because he was used to going outside

I can only send all our very best vibes here and hope that it is a long road to recovery xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 19:47:15 PM »
Oh no, poor thing.

If she's broken her pelvis it's very early to be making predictions about nerve damage. The shock of the impact is often the cause of loss of feeling (I know - I have broken my pelvis in two places). It's extremely painful but recovery can be complete, so please stay positive for her.

Thank God somebody stopped for her.

All the vibes coming your way.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 19:39:52 PM »
I went down to see her as soon as they called. I left in such a rush that I didn't think to take anything with me, but you're right, I should have done that. Oh, well. From what I hear she's completely off her face, hopefully that's keeping her calm enough.

I'm worried because they keep stressing nerve damage to me and talking about the possibility of her having lost control of her bladder and bowels. Part of my head's telling me they are just covering themselves. The other part is freaking out.

I had a cat who was run over when I was about 10, but he was killed on impact so this is all new to me and I'm a worrier.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 19:35:35 PM »
Oh no, Poor Dave  :( Have everything crossed she can go on to make a full recovery  :hug: If they will let you visit her then you could take in a worn item of clothing in to comfort her  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 19:26:46 PM »
Oh no hoping Dave makes a full recovery  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 19:21:02 PM »
how awful for you, fingers crossed for a good recovery.
 :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 19:18:45 PM »
Update on this situation:

We haven't had a chance to go to the vet to deal with this yet (had planned to do so in the new year), but as I feared would happen, Dave was run over this afternoon. She'd been kept inside for most of the time and was coming back okay when out, but ran out into a busy road. She was seen by another driver and taken to the vet, which is where she is now. She currently has no control of her back end, looks like she's broken her pelvis and she may have some nerve damage.

All good vibes sent in the general direction of the southern Pennines very much appreciated.

It's a waiting game to see what the extent of her injuries are, but I feel like everyone thinks I'm acting completely hysterically. Desperately seeking other mad cat people.  :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
Very sensible course of action  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
Looks like we have a few options, then! Both routes will definitely be explored.

I've managed to keep her in with some difficulty since she came home. She's still fairly angry at the world, but is calm around me for periods of time on her own terms. She's played with the little ones some, so she's very much a bipolar cat at the moment. Her problem seems to be mostly with my neutered tom. To be fair, he  :censored: me off, too.  ;)

I'll definitely only use what my vet gives me/suggests. The black market for drugs scares me silly! It'd be just my luck to get a dodgy batch, too.

Sounds like we have a long road ahead, but thank you all for your advice. I'm planning on taking her to the vet when I've wound down from work for the year. Seems as though nothing's going to help immediately, so no desperate hurry.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
I have used an antidepressant for my cats' behavioural problems before called buspirone, my vet (a pragmatist who refuses to do unnecessary work  :Luv2: ) likes it for antisocial spraying, and I have also used it successfully to treat stress related overgrooming.

Be warned, though, although Buspirone is available from on-line "pharmacies" without prescription, there is a huge counterfeit market for all anti-depressants, so be sure to get the prescription one from your vet if you go down this route.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
I have also used Bachs rescue remedy in the water bowls with some success

Some of my ferals came in as Adults and I used the Zylkene following their bit removal at the vet, they have adapted to being house cats and my 2 oldest ones Ragamuffin and Smudger who came from a colony that was poisoned spent 2.5 years living in the house as house cats and have now after a lot of work now become indoor/outdoor this year and both can be found on radiator beds by 4pm when the heating comes on

If you put a lot of effort in to curtailing wandering habits for a period of time they can and will adapt they may not love you to start with but can and will adapt, I use a lot of laser pen playing and have the one from the Purrs shop as it can be switched on and runs for 20 mins at a time my house ferals love it and all now sit in the morning waiting for Mummy to switch it on ;D

Whilst my methods might not work for everyone they have worked on over 100 ferals in the last 15 years so I must be doing something right ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
I'd ask about zylkene, you can buy it on line its not terribily expensive.  It doesn't work for everyone but people who it does work for seem impressed, its not a drug as such but some kind of milk protein if I remember correctly, it just chills them down a bit

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 23:43:19 PM »
I'll definitely see my vet about this. I very much doubt she'll be completely cured of her straying, but I think that part of this is perhaps due to her being young. I had another cat who did this and he eventually stopped as he got older, but I don't know how much I can pin my hopes on that. I'm willing to try anything to keep her safe and off the roads (and possibly save me from a panic attack every few days). The aggressive behaviour is so new, I don't really know how to deal with it. I'll keep them separate for the time being.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 23:35:49 PM »
Tbh I am not sure that any medication will stop her straying as semi ferals seem to have a taste for it.........sigh.

Here the weather is unseasonallly warm, except for an odd night and I think that is making mine want to stay out and cos of their very thick coats, they are getting drowned on the outside but its not getting to their skin.

Roads however are very dangerous and I am lucky that Sasa only once ended up out at the front cos she was chased by another cat who was pretty vicious.

Behavioral problems really need the help of a good behaviorist and most insurances have something included for that but you have to be referred by your vet.

Cat proofing would be good if you can afford it.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 23:25:29 PM »
Thanks, Liz. That's hopeful!

She definitely knows where home is and I've managed to keep her in with some difficulty for a week. I'm probably going to do it again this week. A combination of her straying and bad weather is not good. I can do it as many times as necessary since I work from home.

I'll talk to my vet about that and have a look at your previous posts.

Do you know I can swing an insurance claim on this kind of medication? My insurance is fairly all inclusive since I know she wanders and is more likely to get into bother.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 23:20:26 PM »
I use Zylkene on my ferals when they are first trapped with great success - I have 30 ferals sharing my home ranging form unhandlable to indoor/outdoor and have had good results

I also have ferals as house cats only can you keep her in for a while so she knows where home is, it can be hard work but with treats and playing they soon get the message

Also have you explored cat proofing your garden so she can have access to the garden but no wandering

Feel free to pm me if you want more advise - you can find my ferals under the Clan cats posts

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Missing frequently, subsequent road traffic accident and recovery.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 22:28:02 PM »
Hi,

Some of you have probably noticed that one of my cats, Dave, frequently goes missing. She was gone for 5 days up until this afternoon, when she finally came hope of her own accord.

There are a combination of problems at play. A neighbour has been feeding her and had her last time. I've sorted that problem out and had a full and frank discussion with them. They now understand that it upsets me a lot, she's loved at home and she often comes back from theirs with a poorly tummy which I've had to spend a couple of hundred pounds trying to treat at the vet.

The other problem I have with her is that she was semi-feral when I took her in. She'd been abandoned with her brother and lived outside for ages. She got used to getting food from everyone she could and worked hard at it. Now that behaviour has manifested in her getting enough food here, but wandering for what I can only imagine is miles. Her microchip  meant she got picked up about a mile away, but that's the only one I definitely know about.

I live two roads up from a main road. It's always very busy and has people speeding on it. She's been spotted both by me and friends on the other side of it. This time, she's definitely been fighting. She's come back fairly roughed up.

The major issue with her coming home is that she is very aggressive. She's never been aggressive up until recently, but the last 3 times she's returned in an awful mood. She beat her brother up very badly this afternoon and he's a bit shaken up and was aggressive towards my kittens. She then lashed out at me when I tried to sort her out. I gather she was a bit stressed out since she went and hid in the cellar and needed some coaxing out.

This is turning into an essay, but my question is this: is there anyway that medication would help her behaviour? Mainly for the straying, but also to help keep her calm inside. She gets her own space and pretty much has her own room, but this doesn't really help. I really just want to keep her off the roads and alive and there's a limit to the other things I can try. We're also using Feliway.

Thanks. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 22:45:40 PM by Lauryn »

Link to CatChat