Author Topic: Please help me find Grapelli - his owner is 3 and 1/2 with special needs and heartbroken- FOUND!!!!  (Read 34001 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey

But you have given me hope again that he will be found!!! I am trying to convince my sister to fly back for a few days and we go hunting for him together!!

That was be the best idea.
As Mark has correctly said, most cats go to ground so chances are he is very near to where he went from......and hearing his owners voice is probably all that is needed

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Just another idea.

It is true that a lot of cats when they are lost in areas they don't know, go to ground very close. Even if your sister can't make it over, maybe she could send a t-shirt that has been worn by your nephew and place it close to the Travelodge - a cat will always pick up on the scent of its owner.

Only this week there is an article in our local paper about a cat that escaped at an animal blessing (or rather was let out of the carrier, but that is another story) she managed to find her way back to her owners house 3 miles away. It took 5 weeks but she made it. There can't be much of an explanation other than her picking up on scents. A large part of the journey was along a disused railway line that is now a cycle route. Someone suggested that the cat may have picked up on her owner's scent because she uses the cycle route a lot.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Grapelli
oh thank you very much, I see so many cats missing online I think it has put me off getting a cat of our own!!!

But you have given me hope again that he will be found!!! I am trying to convince my sister to fly back for a few days and we go hunting for him together!! He's all we think about, every day! everytime the phone rings I pray it's someone who's found him.

This forum is my emotional crutch!! and hearing of happy endings is very nice.

If he travels back to Yorkshire I will be amazed!!!! But we have told the neighbours, just on the off chance.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Sounds like he may well have gone to ground in the nearby fields/bushes if there have been no sightings at all  :hug: Cats are incredibly resourceful - look at Lia who was lost in similar circumstances, and if I recall correctly, in the middle of some very harsh weather conditions - it took months for her to be found and captured. Hopefully Grapelli can be found much sooner but don't ever give up on him  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Really hope that he is found soon. :hug:
It may be that he is trying to find his way back home, Is his original home far from Travel lodge?
Sorry is just an idea as cats do try to go back to their old home, may be you could ask neighbours to keep an eye incase he find his way back. :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Do not give up hope, this is very important  :hug: :hug:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Sorry hi Gill :-)
I know what you mean they had to focus on Tarlan to get people's compassion, I just got disappointed when a lady said she saw him and,when she described him I realised it couldn't be him :-(
I can't believe no-one has seen him :-( 

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Hi Jen,

I've only been on my mobile email myself this week end and not my laptop so the work has slowed down a bit. I shall get back on track tomorrow as cannot give up looking so soon. Thank you fir carrying on helping me. if you want me to send you more posters or do anything that can help st your end let me know.

I had a call from a lovely lady this morning (who checked I was in UK before starting the conversation) but sadly the cat was wearing a collar so not our little Grapelli. She said she would keep an eye out so that's nice. It's a shame I didn't think to ask the newdpaper chap to make sure he mentioned that Grapelli is microchipped and any vet will scan him for free.

But the call was still encouraging as it shows a few people might be keeping an eye out.
I'm sorry to hear you never found Rankin (what made you call him Rankin btw?), I do worry we are never going to find him sometimes but I try and stay positive and I pray everyday!

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Sorry, have not been online, have been away for a couple of days visiting family.
The bus stop idea is a good one, am in town tomorrow so will pop a couple of posters up in those if I can and then more people will see them.
Sorry to hear that you haven't had any good news yet.
I am happy to help, just sorry he hasn't turned up yet! Having been through it all before I know how much or a worry it all is, sadly I never found out what happened to Rankin...
Still keeping paws crossed for good news!
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
On what I see there is a big picture of Grappeli at the top, the same one as on Purrs.

I think they are trying to make this a real human interest story to get people to read and look for Grapelli  :hug: :hug:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Thank you for the article :thanks
I can't complain as it is a large article but I wish they left out my photo and added one of Grapelli, and mentioned that he is chipped and any vet will scan cats free of charge.   Never mind I cant complain at least people get to find out about him .. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Here's the article...

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Had a call from a lovely lady this morning but she said the cat was very small and very friendly rubbing his legs on passers by and miaowing so it wouldn't have been our Grapelli. Was hoping for more calls but at least now if someone sees him they might remember the paper article. I can't get hold of the newspaper here but I understand it is quite a big article so that's good.
The road she saw this cat in was Albert Road which seems quite far away from the travelodge.
I've put more posts in forums (incl the reptile forum you suggested Jen) and I am now looking at contacting every business within a 5 mile radius of the travelodge, large or small.

So still praying and fingers and toes crossed. :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Fingers crossed the latest article will at the very least generate some sightings of him  :hug:

Jen - Do you get the Kentish Express Ashford & District paper? For some reaon it doesn't let me view it online. If you do get it the article is on pg 9.

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Hello

The newspaper guy was really nice (he rings me regularly to find out if there has been any news) so I'm really pleased it's a decent size article, I am just hoping someone will ring after reading it (although I am expecting more prank calls I suppose) but fingers crossed there's got to be a few hundred of people reading the paper so you never know. I pray a million times a day and I don't let my phone out of sight hoping it might ring!

Jen - The council were really nice, they said no animal has come in matching his description but they scan all pets so she will ring me if he turns up, it was a relief I have to say!
The police number wasn't as successful, she said cats aren't 'a reportable incident' i.e. no-one records anything when it involves a cat, only a dog (!).
I have emailed the cemetary which is right behind the leisure park for the ground maintenance team to keep an eye out as it seems a nice quiet place for a pussy cat to stay.
I have also emailed the police and asked if their pcso's would keep an eye out (you can but ask!!!!).
I am hoping this bad weather will make him come out of hiding if he has taken refuge in a wood and stayed there all this time because it was nice and warm.
A lady of Facebook went to Dobbies the garden centre and had a good look around and suggested putting posters on bus stops and in the shop nearby (not sure which shop she meant). She said she didn't see any posters but then again Dobies wouldn't let me put one up. :(

Once again thank you Jen for helping me, you are my lifeline as I feel so far away.

Thanks everyone else for the much needed support as I get more and more worried.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
There's a nearly full page article on Grapelli in another local paper - too small for me to read on my iPod as it doesn't let you zoom in but it's a great size so will hopefully help spread the word. Will have a proper look tomorrow on the laptop. Fingers still crossed for some good new :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Have you heard anything at all? did you try those numbers I gave you?
have a few leaflets and posters left and will go out Monday to put out the rest of them, to jog peoples memory a bit, hope he is found soon!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Hi Lex,

I'm so pleased the purrs team is able to help in a small way.  I wish I was closer  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Thank you!!! :thanks:
The support I have had on this forum so far has been so amazing it has helped me tremedously. I would feel so alone without this fabulous network.
I hope I can help others too.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Hi Lex

I am so hoping Grapelli is found. He is a darlin  :hug:
If there is anything you can think of we can do to help, just holla hun.  :hug: :hug:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
I have called them and the price starts at £300 without the mileage from the Midlands to whereever the cat disappeared and back (which a fair few). I also would have to be on site with them (not sure why....) but I haven't ruled them out yet!!! I can't find any feedback on their success rate or what people who have used them think of their service.
I am not sure if he is insured or not, I shall check as I hadn;t thought the insurance might cover the cost!

Considering I am a dog trainer I think I might look into using dogs to track missing cats! I have trained dogs to do much harder work (like tracking turtles in the jungle) so it must be possible! :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Have you considered using Animal Search UK's services? Not sure how much it is, was Grapelli insured? If so it may well be covered by his insurance. Really hope there is at the very least a sighting soon  :hug:

http://www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
No absolutely nothing. :(

It seems nobody has seen him since he disappeared. He is so used to being indoors I wonder whether perhaps he has been hiding. I hope hunger makes him wonder out though so someone spots him.

No horrible prank call which is a relief.

The newspaper comes out Thursday so I will try and stay positive until then. It has been a week today and I just feel more and more sad by the day.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Have you had any more calls Alexia (of the non-horrid variety  :hug:) have there been any sightings at all?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: :hug: I do hope Grapelli is found very soon.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 20:27:10 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
So sorry to hear that you have had prank calls! that is disgusting behaviour!
I am happy to help, he looks very much like my Rankin who went missing a few years ago and was never found.
Have put some leaflets around the staff room at work and pinned them up on the notice boards in the womens locker room and the mens (well, I got a man to do it for me).
Will be out tomorrow morning with the posters and my ipod having a look round and putting more posters up and leaflets round houses.
We are keeping fingers and paws crossed that he turns up safe and sound!
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Sending lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you Alexia. 

Please try not to let such wicked people get you down.  The world has a number of weirdos in it but far far more decent people who send your family and especially Grapelli and your little nephew best ever wishes that Grapelli is found safe and well very soon. 

I strongly believe that he will turn up.  It's just not possible for such a beautiful cat to disappear into thin air. 

Good on you Jen  :) :) :)  :gold stars:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Jen I cannot thank you enough for your help. I hope a can do the same for someone else one day.

Unfortunately I've started getting prank calls and one pretented to have Grapelli which really upset me I don't understand how people can be so mean. I hope a real call.will come soon.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
That's great that you're local and can keep an eye out for him and help with posters Jen :hug: :luck:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Have got the posters and fliers today, will be going out Monday and probably Tuesday morning and will keep an eye out on Wednesday when we go out for a walk, fingers crossed we get some good news soon!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Hopefully there is good news this morning. I think Alexia was only in Ashford for one night Jen.

I'm sure you have been told already but Rolvenden rescue also cover Ashford http://rolvenden.org.uk/cats/

I wonder if it is worth speaking to security at the Travelodge to see if they can do a quick run-through. I have to say it sounds very odd. A cat would have to pass through several doors to get out of a hotel, surely? - someone MUST have seen him - cats are clever but they can't open fire doors!

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
ooo, if you could drop off some posters to me somewhere, I am happy to post them up for you? I could do this on Monday morning as I have some time off then? How long are you staying in Ashford? I will PM you my details and then it is up to you, I have got to go to work now, sadly so won't be able to check on here.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Just wondering if the local paper will run something?

Being 25 miles from me, there isn't a lot we can do. I think there is an RSPCA centre is Ashford? - I think Jen on here volunteers for them?

Oops, just seen this bit, yeah I volunteer there now and again (work gets in the way a lot of the time now), sorry i didn't see this thread sooner!
(and is good to see you back on here)

again, fingers crossed he is found safe and well, have you told any of the food places nearby about him? Mark(?) said about them looking for scraps, and there is a KFC, Frankie and Bennies and all sorts in the leisure park.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Wherever there is space I think, put up a poster, maybe think of trying the big supermarkets as well? (The big Sainsburys is a good idea, I can't remember where the adds are placed now, as they are doing the store up but ask at customer services) They have small places where you can post adds, so that will reach a few people, Pets At Home also have an area like this. There is woodland further round from the travelodge (go down past the cinema and gym, keep going down a little pathway, past the childrens nursery? and it leads out towards woodland) so maybe check around there. That road that you meet up with going towards the woods leads on to a residential area so definetly poster around there. If you follow that roads down, on the right is a large garden centre called Bybrook Barn and they have a place to put adverts too, so you could put a little add there. Next door to that is the doctors and they may let you post an add there, I am not sure.
If he has gone the other way out of the travelodge then there is a road to cross, then into woodland and fields which soon turn into a golf course, I am not sure where the reception of that is situated but if you google map it, they may let you place a poster in their reception?
There is a public footpath that leads all around the golf course so it is possible to walk through, although it would be a long walk and would depend on Grapelli's attitude towards roads (would he go away from or towards?)
There are a few vets in ashford, they will let you place posters in a 'lost' folder, Barrow Hill is the closest vets to where he went walkabouts, but theres also Kingsnorth vets, Peter Edgar vets and the companion care vets in Pets at Home, is he microchipped?
Oh and opposite the travelodge is a garden centre, Dobbies, have you placed an add in there or wandered around in there? the plant area outside is massive and they have chickens, so might be worth a wander?
I really hope you find him soon! I will keep an eye out, sorry I can't be much more help, but I am at work all this weekend

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Hi Jen

Thank you very much for your help. My sister emailed the RSPCA but I'm going to go and see the local branch tomorrow before I leave to make sure they have his details.  I have still got lots of posters where do you think might be good to put them up as you know the area?

I'm a bit downhearted and sad tonight but I think it's being where he disappeared  :(

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Will keep an eye out for him, I live in Ashford, near to where he has escaped, have you contacted the local RSPCA with details? maybe e-mail the details to them so they can keep an eye out? (they are a very good branch)
Hope Grapelli is found very soon!
Jen

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
do hope you find him.      You all must be devastated  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I do hope you can find Grapelli, pity the picture in the paper isnt as good as the one on Purrs.......unless its not showing properly for me.

You need to think like a cat, food, water, dry safe place to hide and do wonder if he is within the Travelodge somewhere.

Loads of good vibes, show yourself Grapelli   :hug: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Keeping Fingers crossed that Grapelli will soon be found  :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Fingers crossed they find him today. I would be surprised if a Maine Coon could squeeze between beds but lets hope.

Link to CatChat