Author Topic: Please help me find Grapelli - his owner is 3 and 1/2 with special needs and heartbroken- FOUND!!!!  (Read 33996 times)

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Grapelli
Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you so much for your support.

I am now at the travelodge for the night, meeting photographer for newspaper then off to all the places on retail park to put posters up and ask around.
I have a feeling I'm going to be walking around a lot hoping and praying I spot him somewhere!
Then tomorrow widening the search with my map!

Will keep u updated.
Alexia

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Just wondering if the local paper will run something?

Being 25 miles from me, there isn't a lot we can do. I think there is an RSPCA centre is Ashford? - I think Jen on here volunteers for them?

Looks like they already have - here's the article http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_express/news/2011/september/29/urgent_missing_cat_appeal.aspx

According to the article the owners sister (which is the original poster - Alexia) is heading down to Kent today to look for him and put posters up.

In the article it says that he disappeared from the room overnight, I'm wondering - if no doors or windows were opened, whether he has somehow burrowed himself in the middle of the divan beds they tend to have in travellodges. Alexia mentioned she is staying in the same room so worth double checking.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Just wondering if the local paper will run something?

Being 25 miles from me, there isn't a lot we can do. I think there is an RSPCA centre is Ashford? - I think Jen on here volunteers for them?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
As there is nobody local to keep a regular eye out for him (although you as his 'Auntie' are obviously doing everything you can from a distance  :hug:) I have added his details to the newsflash which is on the front page of Purrs in the hope that anyone living near the area may be able to help.

Such a nightmare situation, really hope he is found ASAP  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Grapelli has already been reported to CP. Folkestone branch are putting feelers out and he is on our (Canterbury) website. Tenterden is the nearest branch.

http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk/transport.aspx?404;http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk:80/canterbury/lost-and-found1

Have you spoken to anyone at the Little Chef? (I assume there is one onsite?) - I don't know Ashford very well.

We have taken in 2 strays over the last couple of years that were hanging around a Travelodge/Little Chef in Dunkirk (Kent) I think cats are attracted to the smell of food and chance of scraps - so I would imagine if he escaped there, her probably hasn't gone far.

In fact I just saw that there is another 'found' cat (a black one) on our found cats list - it just shows that they are attracted to them.

I remember a couple of years ago someone lost their cat at one en-route to Germany - She was found after several weeks.

The problem with traps is they need to be regularly monitored. A trapped cat is very vulnerable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:11:48 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
you local cats protection might be able to lend you a trap

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Have you joined any 'local' facebbok groups and tried to spread the word that way? I'm not on FB myself but it's massive nowadays so try and use it to your advantage. Good luck with the hotel stay, really hope he is still close by  :hug:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Thank you both. I have done everything you have mentioned already so now I guess all I can hope for is some members who live in Kent/Ashford to keep an eye out for me as I don't live in the area although I am travelling down tomorrow so put leaflets up.
The hotel have been very helpful and I am staying in the same room in case Grapelli visits. The local newspaper are running a story too and I have notified just about every vet and organisation in that area.

If anyone knows where I can get a trap it would be great. I am going to stay overnight and leave the door open (it's on the ground floor) but I am worried that because I am not his 'mum' he might come, eat and go again!!!

Fingers crossed someone will spot him somewhere!!
Thanks again

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
awww this is so sad to read, Grapeli is Beautiful, and I hope he is found soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Sorry to have to welcome you to Purrs under such worrying circumstances  :hug:

There's a list of hints/tips for lost cats here: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,305.0.html Not all of them may apply as Grapelli obviously won't know the area he has found himself in but worth looking through them in case there's something you haven't thought of.

A few things that come to mind:

Have the hotel offered any assistance in putting up posters on site?

Have you looked at the area on google satellite to see what is nearby and where he is likely to go (think like a cat!)?

In light of the connection that your nephew has with his cat, and his special needs, then maybe the local paper would run a little 'human interest' type article which would help spread the word?

Have you notified rescues local to the area in case he is found?

This thread below may have some useful tips in and also give you some hope - very similar circumstances, a cat escaped from her owners car at the Motorway services when the owner was on route to Germany. She was eventually found, nearby to where she had escaped, with the help of Purrs members who were local to where she had escaped. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34187.msg607650.html#msg607650

Really hope he is found safe and sound very soon  :hug:

Offline lex20874

• Adult Cat
Desperately looking for Grapelli, a 7 year old Maine Coon, neutered and Microchipped.

Escaped from Travelodge in Ashford, Kent whilst in transit with his owners on their way to France, in the night of Monday to Tuesday 26th/27th September

I am the owner's sister and live miles away but I am travelling to Kent tomorrow and would welcome any help in putting up the posters I have made.

My nephew is partially paralysed on his left side and Grapelli has been an asset whilst learning how to walk and reach out with his non working hand. They have a strong bond and our little boy is absolutely unconsolable.

Not being from the area we are worried that Grapelli will have nowhere to return to.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Alexia
(07771)697308
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:27:52 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat