Author Topic: Mid-teen girl, Newark (staying with fosterer)  (Read 16294 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Mid-teen girl, Newark (staying with fosterer)
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
that is good news, one of ours would prefer to be an only cat I'm sure but its not a perfect world and they jog along together well enough

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2011, 19:40:31 PM »
That's great news, I'm so pleased for her (and you!)  :)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2011, 17:34:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  so pleased Edna is staying with you  :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2011, 15:43:25 PM »
Way to go Edna!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2011, 13:14:31 PM »
So pleased to hear that Edders has a home with you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2011, 13:00:40 PM »
 Glad to hear that she Edna is settling in with you now.  I've amended the title and will move this to sorted now  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
Thanks guys! Sadly, I have had not one bit of interest in Edders... I think like you said the age thing, and fact she won't integrate with the other cats goes against her a lot. I do believe the best home for her would be with a retired, experienced couple who will understand her and have her as an only cat, but that probably gives her about a 0.5% chance of finding the perfect home! And I don't want to constantly search for that evasive home for who knows how long when she's settling a bit more every day here... I'd sooner just enjoy having the old girl and fussing and playing with her and letting her find her feet totally. Just hope she gets better and better as the days pass with the other cats. You never know, having cocky Gladys constantly wanting to 'be' around her may acclimatise her to them more  ;) then the other quieter ones will not be worth her time bothering with them!!
So, on that note, I would like to announce she is now a permanent part of our clan  :Luv:
Liz and Edders xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
I think if you are happy to offer her a home and feel she is happy with you then yes she should stop with you  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Thank you!! Well... we are torn about keeping Edna now!! She has improved massively since her op, and is much more chilled out!! .............
Would appreciate thought on if we should keep her... I do adore her,

Oooh let's think  :thinking:   A difficult one this    :um:    :um:      :um:     

What am I saying?  :stupid:

Obviously the answer is "yes" if you feel you can  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
No pressure but sounds like she is very happy with you and it would be lovely if she could stay there.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Have you had any offers of a potential home? A 15 yr old black cat that doesn't like other cats was never going to be the easiest of cats to find a home, even with her thyroid issue 'fixed', soooooo... if there's no other homes in the pipeline and you think that she is happier now (wonder if that's down to not having the issues that go along with being hyperthyroid now?) then there's certainly no harm in her becoming a forever foster  :)

You were the one that saved her from being PTS  so it would be nice if you can at least be rewarded with the cat litter batting and ping pong whacking moments  :)

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
Thank you!! Well... we are torn about keeping Edna now!! She has improved massively since her op, and is much more chilled out!! She's still having the odd fisti-cuff with, well, mainly Gladys because Gladys is a cocky madam who think's no cat in the world can take her!! And I know she'll never 'like' other cats, but to see her washing herself and stretching in the bed, and climbing up to me for fusses and chin rubs, and about half an hour ago I heard something small being patted on the floor... looked around to see Edders batting a small piece of wood cat litter about!! She was up on her hind legs, fake pouncing, then patting it all over the hall!! I went to get her some toys, and she spent the next ten-minutes chasing and whacking a ping-pong ball about!!

Would appreciate thought on if we should keep her... I do adore her, and to see how far she has come since she came here about 4-months ago is quite amazing, bless her. Not to mention the fact I've now spent about £130 quid on her!!!

Anyway, opinions welcome...

Liz & Edders xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
A bump for a beautiful older lady in need of a cat free home :wish:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Another thought... how about including an email address in case people would prefer to make initial contact that way? I hate talking on the phone to strangers so if I can break the ice via email I would be much more inclined to make contact.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Very good  :) Maybe add a few key words to tug at the heart strings too  - like 'found herself alone and unwanted' 'desperate for a home of her own' etc etc  :naughty: I really hope that special someone is out there for her :crossed:

Also after 'found to be disease free' you could put something like 'and is a picture of health with no known issues' just to stress that she's currently fit and healthy?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
hope you dont mind but have added a word that i think was missing, its in red cos too hard to explain  lol.

i dont know if maybe near end you need to explain how/why they come into your care cos we know but wonder if some will see the money maybe coming into your pocket?

purrs needs capital h too i think...............i know not a cap her but only have one hand at moment........sigh

nice little piece about edna  ;D

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Have just written the little piece about Edna to go in the local paper (Newark Advertiser) and would appreciate feedback, or if I'm missing anything on it!! Please see below...

LOOKING FOR A FOREVER HOME

Meet Edna. Edna is a mid-teen lady looking for a retirement home with a loving, experienced family.  Edna was taken into a vets in Nottingham as a stray, and was due to be put to sleep. The crisis with unwanted cats in the UK often means the senior cats don’t get that second chance to live out their twilight years, and, very sadly, are being put to sleep all over the country.
Edna was diagnosed as having an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), and she weighed in at just 1.9kg! £220 was donated by some fantastic people on a national cat forum, Purrs in our hearts, which meant Edna could have the operation to remove her enlarged thyroid, and in turn, make her a more suitable rehoming candidate without the need for regular blood tests and medication.  The operation was a success, and Edna’s blood results also showed she is a very healthy older lady, who now weighs almost 3kg! Edna was tested for feline aids and Leukaemia, and was found disease free.
Edna does, however, need to be homed with understanding and experienced cat owners, and would suit a home with no children. She does not like being around other cats or dogs, so would need to be an only pet. She was very nervous when she came into my care, but over the last three-months has come out of her shell and turned into a playful, affectionate lady, although she is not a lap cat. She is almost completely deaf, so would need to be an indoor cat, or have access to a very secure garden. Edna is very clean and uses a litter tray. She has also been wormed and frontlined.
Prospective owners need to be aware of the implications of taking on an older cat, and the probability that she will require more veterinary care as the years pass. A home and vet check would be carried out, and a donation of £30 is required, which will be placed into a fund for other stray/older cats which come into my care.
Anyone interested in offering Edna her forever retirement home, please contact Liz on 01636 651699

I will be putting a photo in too, of course.

Thanks in advance,

Liz & Edders! xxx

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 15:58:58 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
OMG I ADORE this old moo!!! She's just done a HUGE poo in her tray, then went running onto the landing at FULL SPEED dancing and bouncing around like a complete nutty kitten!!! I was in hysterics at her!! I called my other half up and he was in fits of laughter at her... I SO wish I'd videod it!! Then she ran back in the office behind a box, reared up and wiggled patting the top and ran out and then behind the door!!! It was a case of blink and you'd miss it!! Got a feather for her to play with, and she just went wild chasing and batting it as if to say "What sore claw?" I do love her to bits... nutty old moo bag!!!
All that because she was obviously pleased about her toileting!!
GO EDDERS!!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:14:41 AM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
I've also posted on CatChat linking back to here :crossed:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
That's a great little write-up!!! Thank you!!! We'll see if there are any responses... I'll get onto a write-up in the next couple of days.
Regarding her nail, If I hadn't looked I'd never have noticed!! She is acting perfectly normal, but I DON'T want it getting infected, or it will be ever so ouch!! When I held her and looked/felt up-close, she didn't care... pretty good for her... I was expecting to be slapped and clawed and growled at  :wow: Now wondering if they did a personality transplant when she was under the anaestheitc  :)
Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
OK great, I've done her a temporary write up to put in the news box - see above, it cycles through so wait a few seconds if you don't see her! - I'm happy to change it once you've had a chance to write one for her.

Hope her sore claw isn't giving her too much jip, Riley is a claw chewer and it makes me cringe the way he pulls at them!  :sick:

:crossed:

Edit: I've also added an update to your original post making it clear she's had the op in case a potential rehomer saw about the daily meds and was put off from enquiring about her.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 19:37:49 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Yes, if she needs to travel to find the right home for her, I'm fine with that. I've helped with a couple of transport runs for cats, and Edna's pretty good travelling, give of take the odd pleading meow!
While giving her the little weekly check over, just noticed a sore looking nail bed, so will need to get her checked on Mon/Tue... she had her nails cut during the op, so not sure if she's chewed at it. Edna keeps me on my toes!!
I'll see about a write up... I am so attached to her now, but I know she's be happier without other cats, so I'm just gonna have to be tough once again (I'm not very good at that!)  :(
Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
So happy to hear Edna's doing well, I'm sure she'll find her purrfect home soon.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
Awww what wonderful news !!! Well done Edna  :Luv: :Luv: I hope someone comes forward very soon , she sounds so special  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
I'll put Edna up in the 'newsflash' section to try and get her more exposure. Would you be happy for her to travel for the right home (subject to homecheck of course). The good people of Purrs have often helped with transport runs in the past.

I also think an article is a great idea if your local paper will run one, my local RSPCA has a section in the paper of needy/hard to home cats and each week they put new ones in and 80% of the time all the cats from the previous article (usually 4) have found homes  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Wonderful news  ;D

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Hi everyone,
Apologies not been on to update... went away to Florida for a week and been crazy busy since I got home (working at home can be a nightmare post-holiday!)
Edna is absolutely fine  :Luv: Her wound healed beautifully, and she didn't bother with it once. Tons of her fur's grown back now, and she's bright as a bobbin! She's actually even sweeter with me since the op, too, although the cats still get chased and slapped if she feels like it. But with me she's constantly bumping my shins for fusses and even jumps up onto the chair with me or on the desk, bless her. Her nervous/wary edge had all but disappeared when she's with me, poor girl.
I want to give it one last attempt to find her a home as (ideally) an only cat. She really is a sweetie now with me, and without any other cats to wind her up, I think she'll relax and turn into a dream girl. So if we can put her as cat of the month, or put feelers out for possible adopters, that would be great.
I have another old girl who is very comfortable in the company of other cats who is waiting for a gap to open up here, but if I can't find her a home, I guess Edna'll have to stay put. Just a shame as I think she'll be much happier being a pampered only cat.
Was also thinking of running a local newspaper story about her, so at least I could do a home check etc with it being local, and get a vet history/check done on a possible new owner. What does everyone think of that? I am so manic busy with our business that my time is very tight at the minute.
Thanks everyone, and Edders sends a HUGE whisker-twitching smile! xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
This a heartwarming story  :) :) I too would love to hear how Edna is doing  :Luv:

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
Has Edna found a new home yet and has she recovered from the operation okay? :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
A gentle bump for the beautiful Edna  :Luv2: Still looking for her forever home...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Edna sounds totally brilliant. :)  Glad she's doing well.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Don't you just love those senior ladies and there total disregard for the vets aftercare advice ;D

Hope the recovery goes well and am so glad she has had her op and treatment
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
 ;D wonderful news  ;D ;D  I so hope she finds a wonderful home for a wonderful lady

Well done Liz hun.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
Glad she is still a fiesty girl  :evillaugh:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Sounds like she's a real character!    Glad it went well!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
What a Miss Madam  ;D ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
She sounds like such a character!  :Luv: Glad she's back safe and sound  :)

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Edna's home, and boy can't we tell!!  :Luv:
She yowled all the way back in the car, tried to swat me when I took her leg bandage off where her drip had been, has attacked Ned and backed him into a corner (Ned being the boss cat!) and eaten 2 meals. She's spent the last half hour trying to climb onto my chair with me, and now she's sat in the doorway watching for unsuspecting cats to pass that she can scare the living daylight out of  :briggin: So, basically, the naughty madam is home!!!!
The total bill was £231.32, and I'm happy to scan and put this on for any of the donators to see. It was a bit over the estimate as she had the long acting anti-b injection because of her discarding of tablet habit!
Ah, she's now gone to finally lie down in her bed... I though she'd be pooped when she got back, and want to sleep it off... oh no! Not Edna, back into the swing of things straight away!!!
Her wound looks fab, and as soon as I'm back of my hols, she'll need that home...
I'll keep you updated!!
Liz & Edders!!
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 ;D Great news!  hope that things turn out really well for her  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Link to CatChat