Author Topic: Mid-teen girl, Newark (staying with fosterer)  (Read 16290 times)

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
Re: Mid-teen girl, Newark, Moving this to urgent...
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 18:34:51 PM »
What's happening with Edna now, is she still with you?    :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Mid-teen girl, Newark, Moving this to urgent...
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 21:38:49 PM »
That's great news about her weight and coat :) If she can have the op and everything goes OK how about a local newspaper appeal for a good home?

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 21:26:59 PM »
Edna had her T4 blood test today... still under 6! (10-55 range), so she's currently really suppressed. Reducing the dose to 2.5mg twice a day. Helena, the vet treating her, thinks we should go ahead with the op so I'll be starting some fundraising for this. I will, of course, get a heart check and pre-anaesthetic bloods, just to make sure she's ok pre-op, and I will get her on I/V fluids to ensure a safer op and better recovery.
I just hope by doing this it will help her get a home... she's coming along lovely with me, but the obvious tension coming through from her being around other cats is a worry. I just can't keep her and keep upsetting my gang... which is really sad.
Her coat is in amazing condition!! When she was taken in as a stray she weighed in at 1.7kg. We weighed her today and she's... wait for it... 2.95kg!!! Brilliant Edna!!! I'll also get the vet to do a mini/quick dental on her when she's under.
Just need a home for her now... any help with this MUCH appreciated.
I'll keep you all updated on the op front.
Liz and Edna  :Luv: xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
 :allears: :allears: :hug: good luck for Tuesday then

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
I'm taking Edna in Tuesday for a T4 re-test and poss pre-anaesthetic bloods so I'll let you know the outcome...
I wish she'd settle and relax with the other cats... almost 2-months now, and she still sits at the top of the stairs and smacks, hisses at, and/or chases anyone with fur who dares to try and pass...including the dogs!
She's becoming much more sweet with me thought... she regularly climbs onto her hind legs and puts her paws on my lap when I'm sat working... if I ignore her, she pats at my hand until I give her chin and head rubs  :Luv2:
Anyway... I'll update as soon as we've been to the vets.
Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 04:21:01 AM »
How's Edna getting on just now, her pics are on the Facebook page. :allears: :crossed:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 18:35:51 PM »
I know that's fine with some meds, but some shouldn't be crushed (I think it's the ones with a shiny coating?) can't remember now! Thankfully, she's such a pig that if I re-plant it in more food, it usually goes down  :shy: I am good at giving cats tablets by mouth (had to do it a lot as a vet nurse!!) but even I wouldn't try it on her... value my fingers too much  :scared: Even with a pill popper I think she'd go ape... little old madam!!!

My Pep is on Vidalta (not shiny) but they mustn't be crushed, before we adopted him they were crushed and didn't work.  He's fine on them now his levels are stable but I have to give then in Primula, if the Primula is a bit runny though he just licks it off and leaves his at the bottom of his dish  :naughty: then it goes in a piece of Webbox because if they don't work first time they start to harden from the dampness.  Failing that a 2 man attempt at giving by hand - he's totally blind though and hates being manhandled.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 17:50:10 PM »
I know that's fine with some meds, but some shouldn't be crushed (I think it's the ones with a shiny coating?) can't remember now! Thankfully, she's such a pig that if I re-plant it in more food, it usually goes down  :shy: I am good at giving cats tablets by mouth (had to do it a lot as a vet nurse!!) but even I wouldn't try it on her... value my fingers too much  :scared: Even with a pill popper I think she'd go ape... little old madam!!!
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 17:06:01 PM »
I usually crush any tablet my cat may need and mix it with his favourite food and he just eats it all. 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 14:05:56 PM »
She's great!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 13:39:19 PM »
She's not as stupid as you first thought - what self-respecting cat would willingly eat a hidden tablet  :innocent:  :evillaugh: Fingers crossed for Tuesday, let us know how she gets on  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Sometimes they are just too clever for their own good leaving the tablet the little minx  :evillaugh:  I hope she will be able to have the op and will keep my fingers crossed the tests and chat to the vet on Tuesday do not rule it out :)

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »
Hi,
No, no home for Edna yet  :(
I have just had an estimate for a thyroidectomy, I/V fluids, pre-anaesthetic bloods and meds... £220, so I'll be looking to fundraise for her op, providing her bloods show she's ok to have the op in the first place. I am taking her in on Tuesday for a T4 re-test to see where her thyroid levels are now she's on the new dose, so I'll have a chat with the vet and make an informed decision for her. She's a little devil for her tablets now too, I always hide it in a little of her fave pate food, and a lot of the time I find all the food gone and the tablet sat looking at me - meat free -  from the bottom of the dish! Wise old devil! I could move her onto Vidalta, which is one a day, but if she's going to have the op then there's no point, plus they are more expensive.
I'll update as soon as she's been to the vets...
Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 19:34:11 PM »
Have you managed to find Edna a home yet.  She looks a lot like one of my previous cats.  I've have put it on my Facebook wall to see if it gets noticed down in the Notts area.   :hug:  :innocent:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
I have added the link to my wall, afraid I'm a bit of a billy no mates though  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:36 AM »
I'm not up on how FB works as not on there myself but can people add the link to their wall (or wherever it goes!) to spread the word for her? Hopefully her Florence nightingale II is round the corner :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
I have now set up a page for Edna on Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Edna-Needs-A-Home/269450369751128

I will have to sort out some kind of auction or something on there for her, when I know how to do it! I should have a couple of estimates for the surgery early next week, so at least I'll know what I've to aim for. I have my 15% discount and I'm sure the vet will keep surgery time to a minimum for me too.  I'll update once I know...

Liz xxx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 20:40:04 PM »
Just a thought is this old lady on facebook cause if she had her own page we could run an auction on there for her and she could be seen by a lot of folks plus half of us here are on facebook and could share her story and try and get her a following

More than happy to bid on cat items, can't give to much in the way of funds as we have double your lot of animals here at the Clan and then some more but they are happy to spend Daddy's money on an auction for a needy cat
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 19:37:58 PM »
I think a general post as we have our own auction at Xmas so wouldn't want to tread on any paws! Would you able to get an estimate of how much it might cost through your vet contacts?

If it's a feasible amount to raise then as I was lucky enough to win £55 on the Purrs draw last month I would be happy to 'recycle' that to start her fund off  :)

As it's a non-registered Purrs rescue use we have to add the usual disclaimer:

It is up to the individual member to donate their money to a donation or fund request and Purrs advises strongly to carry out full checks that funds would be used for the stated purpose.  Purrs cannot be held responsible for members private donations to a request that is not an Official Purrs fundraisier or collection.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 19:24:20 PM »
What would be the best way to fundraise? A general post or an auction? I am happy to setup whichever is best for this old girl.

I really feel for her, and would love her to have a forever retirement home. Sometimes, she'll have just seen me in the room and when I walk in a few minutes later, she looks all worried and runs away. Also, if she sees me carrying certain things, she runs away, looking petrified, and hides. I'm thinking someone's done something horrid to her in the past. She saw me with a carrier bag the other day and bolted and hid under my desk... it broke my heart.  :'( She's a sweet girl in a worried/anxious body, I think... I sometimes just sit on the floor with her and she rubs and bumps against me and likes little affectionate kisses on the head...

Let's hope we can create a wonderful future fr her... I only wish she could stay with me...
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 18:29:25 PM »
I would be willing to chip in as well  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 15:54:22 PM »
I'd be willing to chip in if an op was right for her...

She'll still probably be fairly hard to rehome being an older lady and of course needing to be an only cat but it would take away the worry of ongoing meds/blood tests and also the daily medicating for any potential new owners.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 15:49:34 PM »
Yes, I think she'd be a candidate for the op (the thyroid is large and palpable) providing the pre-anesthetic bloods and heart check are ok.
I discussed this with my vet friend who saved her, and the vet I use who's been testing her bloods/felimazole dose.
I get discount as I used to nurse at the practice I still use, and I know they'll keep the surgery time low for me to keep costs down, so yes, if we could get funds for the op that would be fab. She is due in a week on Monday for a T4 recheck to see what the thyroid levels are, so I can get her to give me a quote. I'll also ask my vet friend, a she works at a branch practice on her own with the nurses, and might be able to 'sneak' the op for me or keep costs way down.
This was one of the two things I thought would go against her being adopted. The other was the fact that she'd need to be an only cat, and I know many people on the forms, like me, have several cats! So it was finding the right owner/home so she can retire without feeling the need to attack other cats!
I'm currently paying for her tests/medication, which I'll  do because she needs it, bless her, but obviously as I'm not keeping her, and with a menagerie of 21 animals to pay for, I have more than enough costs!!  :briggin: I've already spent £40 on one blood test and meds, not to mention the food she consumes!! But she'll have anything she needs while in my care (I'll just have to try and earn more!)
Not sure if an auction could be a way forward... we can donate items as we have a fine art business and donate to a lot to wildlife  and domestic animal charities, and we have some fab big and little cat prints!
Anyone with ideas... let me know.
Liz x
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 14:42:30 PM »
Poor girl :care:

Is she suitable for the thyroid op? If she is I wonder if it's worth trying to fundraise to get the op done as with the best will in the world it's a big ask for someone to take on a cat that already requires twice daily meds. I did it for my cat Tiggy (also hyperthyroid) for 5 years so know what a burden it can be, of course I would do it again in a heartbeat but for someone that doesn't already have the emotional attachment to her it might be the deal breaker  :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Mid-teen girl, Newark (staying with fosterer)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 14:34:27 PM »
Needing to move this  to more urgent now... My original post is below, but no getting much interest in her, probably as she needs to ideally be only cat. She's chasing and hissing and growling at my lot daily, and I really don't think it's fair on either my ten or her, as she just wants a quiet house as an only cat to sleep and eat and have a fuss. Only health issue is that she's hyperthyroid. Anyone who can help, please let me know. My vet friend had another elderly stray brought in to the branch practice, but she was not allowed to take her to the main practice as the boss' would have seriously told her off and PTS the cat as they've said no stray to be brought in unless they require treatment. She's taken her home to save her, but can't keep her and she's currently staying in a bedroom. I can have her here - she's good with cats/dogs - but I can't take her while I have Edna, as Edna will attack her!
Anyway, original post below...
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help rehome this sweet old lady.
Liz xx

It's with regret that I'll have to find a home for the little oldie I've called Edna...
Edna was taken into the practice when my vet friend works in Nottingham, and was going crazy in the kennel. They were going to put her to sleep when my friend saw her and said she was sure Edna was Hyperthyroid. Turns out her thyroid level was 258!!! The normal range is 10-55, so hers was sky high. She has a very palpable thyroid glad, but was put on Felimazole 5mg twice a day. There may be the option to surgically remove the gland, ***edit: Edna has had the op to remove her thyroid now so does not need daily meds*** providing her bloods were ok for her to have an anaesthetic. Alternatively, she takes her tablets twice daily in her food with no problems, or she could be changed onto Vidalta, which is once a day.
Rather than PTS, I said I'd have her, providing she was felv/fiv negative and got on with other cats. She is clear of disease, was frontlined and wormed, but does not like other cats, hence the reason I don't think it's fair on her or my other 10 cats to keep her. I've had Edna a month now, and hoped that once we settled her thyroid, she'd settle with the other cats, but she hasn't. I have 2 cats that are real softies, and get scared to come upstairs in case she's there, so it's not fair on them, and I think she'd be happier as an only cat without feeling the need to attack and be defensive towards them.
She's about mid-teens plus, and apart from the thyroid problem, is in remarkable health! She moves like there's rocket up her bum, and while she is skinny, is gaining weight slowly. She is a very active girl, but is pretty deaf so she'd need a secure garden or be indoors as she wouldn't hear traffic/dogs etc heading her way. She's perfect in the litter tray too. Eyesight is spot-on - she doesn't miss a trick - and she's very fussy and flirty with me, rubbing around my legs and loving head and neck rubs, but she's not a lap cat. I think she'd really suit a retired person/couple or family without young children who will respect that she's getting on a bit and doesn't want to be pestered, she doesn't like her back-end being touched, so probably slightly arthritic too, but it in no way slows her down!
I took her into the vets where I used to work as a nurse last week and re re-tested her T4 levels. They have dropped dramatically to the low side, so I'm currently tweaking her Felimazone to a 5mg in the morning and a 2.5mg in the evening.
I would have loved to keep her - I always like to have one or two oldies - but she's not settling and I think she'd have a happier retirement with no other cats.
I've posted some photos of her, and she is very pretty! I so, so wish I could keep her 
Anyway, anyone who can offer help or a home for this old lady, please let me know. I am based in Newark, Notts.
Thanks in advance,
Liz & Edna xx

Latest update:

Hi everyone,
Apologies not been on to update...
Edna is absolutely fine  :Luv: Her wound healed beautifully, and she didn't bother with it once. Tons of her fur's grown back now, and she's bright as a bobbin! She's actually even sweeter with me since the op, too, although the cats still get chased and slapped if she feels like it. But with me she's constantly bumping my shins for fusses and even jumps up onto the chair with me or on the desk, bless her. Her nervous/wary edge had all but disappeared when she's with me, poor girl.
I want to give it one last attempt to find her a home as (ideally) an only cat. She really is a sweetie now with me, and without any other cats to wind her up, I think she'll relax and turn into a dream girl. So if we can put her as cat of the month, or put feelers out for possible adopters, that would be great.
I have another old girl who is very comfortable in the company of other cats who is waiting for a gap to open up here, but if I can't find her a home, I guess Edna'll have to stay put. Just a shame as I think she'll be much happier being a pampered only cat.
Was also thinking of running a local newspaper story about her, so at least I could do a home check etc with it being local, and get a vet history/check done on a possible new owner. What does everyone think of that? I am so manic busy with our business that my time is very tight at the minute.
Thanks everyone, and Edders sends a HUGE whisker-twitching smile! xx

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:59:29 PM by Janeyk »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Link to CatChat