Author Topic: If you are looking to give a home to a cat -what would you like to have in a UK rescue search site?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
I'd like to see the facility to search for FIV or disabled cats.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I am sure most dont want to shop around or transport unnecessarily but the facts of the situation are that many cant find what they are looking for locally and there is no way that one can search each and every rescue in the country individually.

Many have come across the officialdom in rescues where they wont home for roads, indoor, outdoor etc etc.

I am looking for a birman and have been for 4 weeks but my needs are for a special colour and sex and apart from kittens, I cant find anything.

I would prefer to rescue but am gradually being pushed towards buying a kitten.

With a proper search facility I am sure that more cats would be rehomed at the end of the day.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Agree with Angie about shopping and transporting unnecessarily.  :hug: But I do think the indoor/ outdoor thing needs addressing, and potentially needs prospective slaves to be able to 'shop around'. Ditto whether a particular cat can or cannot be left whilst you are at work (part or full time). I haven't found it easy to find a suitable indoor cat, yet there are a thousand potential indoor homes in my city centre alone.

Just looked on the local RSPCA website and all the thirty two entries refers to dogs, cats and children but only one nervous pair who have been in the cattery since five weeks of age say they can go as indoor cats. Several of the rest need to be an only pet and no kids - are there really that many homes with no pets or dustbin lids but safe outdoor space in a deprived city?  :shify:

I don't want to be thought of as an exceptional case, and I know from speaking to others (on and offline) that many singletons and child-free couples are sick to the back teeth of politicians and organisations pretending we don't exist. So there.  :P
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re cats and Greyhounds - Lynn Cody'd Mum has just introduced a new boy and him and Logan live happily with Cody - there are cat friendly greyhounds out there ;D

I have 2 adult Border Collies Sky and Sunny and puppy Mistral and all are very well trained by the Clan cats in ettiquette and what is allowed and have to say my ferals adore all the dogs but we do careful introductions and the dogs know they are the cats pets :rofl:

Also promoting that a lot of FIV cats can live with "normal" cats with no cross infection - we have had 2 here and I know Moira has both with no issues
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 20:26:42 PM by Liz »
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Thanks very much for ya feedback  ;D  :hug:

Angie i completely agree with ya , we have basic cat info details and one thing we can have as an optional choice is is for adopters to be able find if there is a rescue cat in their Rescue area that say is an indoor cat to adopt  if that is the 1st and foremost wish when adopting or if looking for a special needs cat ie FIV to adopt with other fiv cats etc.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
don't worry dizziblonde, you aren't the first person we've had with greyhounds and cats, hope your perfect new dog is just around the corner

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
I've been looking for a second dog recently - and I'm getting sick to the back teeth of rescues who don't list cat-suitability on sites. I'm perfectly prepared to travel for a cat-suitable dog of the breed I'm looking for, because I know it's a rarer type because of what the dog I'm looking for was essentially bred to do (I also know it's definitely possible with the right dog - especially with a cat that stands their ground and since Suki's got the dog incredibly well trained into knowing she's the Lord and Master and Supreme Ruler Of the Universe - I think it's a go-er). Like I say - it's quite a specific search I'm doing at the moment - rather than a general "oh I want a doggy/kitty" deal.

I'd also like something quite open on there regarding adoption fees, anything that does/doesn't get included in this (especially since I've been looking at rescue greyhounds - they need a specific type of collar - some rescues provide this, others don't and would require a hunt around probably online)... apologies for coming at this from a dog perspective - it's just what I've been recently looking at mostly.

(Before anyone bites my head off for considering a greyhound with a cat - it's perfectly do-able if you get the right dog, probably a failed racer and there's no way I'd be taking the risk otherwise).

Something like http://www.dogsblog.com/ works quite well for lots of this - although kills hours of my time looking and wanting to save 'em all... please do NOT send me cat equivalents or I'd never get any work done and I'm running out of sofa space!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
I'll put the negative spin on this.....

I'd only put it the very basics, and then only for things such as FIV, disabled, pedigree or other exceptional things.

For anything else, there are too many cats out there and as I don't really approve of carting cats off all over the country when local rescue cats are available. I think it more suitable for 'special' homes.

Its as likely as not that people come to see one cat/kitten and fall head over heels with another. We have quite a few people who come to look at kittens then fall for an older cat.

I'm also not really sure that I agree to anything that may promote the shopping for cats like a matching accessory.

There endeth the negative spin!!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Can they live in a multi household - some of us always have room for the ones nobody wants!
Length of time in rescue
Pedigree
Moggy
Feral
Speyed/neutered
Injected
ID Chipped
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
whether living in a pen or fostered

how long has cat been in the rescue

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
I know a lot of rescues have paired/bonded cats so the ability to search for or exclude those for those may be useful.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Whether or not they get on with other cats? so....cohabiting cats or something?
I did fall in love with a couple of 'lone rangers' which would not have been suitable with Benji.
 :)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Breed=pedigree and moggy
Sex
Longhair or shorthair
Indoor outdoor
FIV or other illness/disability

;D ;D

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
If you were looking to give a loving home to a cat in cat rescues all over the UK what searches would you think would be good to have?

Say there was a website that listed many cat rescues all over the UK and their cats in need of homes and you wanted say -to find a certain breed who is looking for a home in any of the rescues in UK or if you were looking for indoor only cat in rescue or if you were looking to give an FIV cat a home etc  would that be of use to search and see all the cats in rescue in the UK under that search?

what would you search for  ie if catchat had a facility to search for something specific over all their rescues & Cats listed?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:42:30 AM by Tan »

Link to CatChat