Author Topic: Pregnant young cat needs someone to help it (Sorted)  (Read 20480 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Pregnant young cat needs someone to help it (Sorted)
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2011, 14:04:11 PM »
What a brilliant result for Bella and you and mlm have done so well to save this little girls life  ;D ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
SUPER news for this little girl  :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: skittycat
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2011, 22:26:47 PM »
Yes it's a really good result.... all that angst she and we went through was worth it in the end. So glad she's not with the chavvy family !!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2011, 21:49:15 PM »
 ;D Great news, will move this now,  hope that all goes well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 21:50:23 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gizmo
Re: Pregnant young cat needs someone to help it
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2011, 19:42:24 PM »
Ahhh im so happy!!!! Im pinching internet at the moment (shhhh.... :) ) thats brought a tear to my eye. Im so so happy they have helped her, and how lucky were we to find such amazing vets?!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2011, 14:36:43 PM »
What a wonderful vets!! And great news this little lady has a home lined up.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2011, 14:01:30 PM »
Fanatastic news. Wish all vets were like that.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2011, 13:56:27 PM »
That's great news  ;D You and mlm have changed her life  :) What a lovely vets too  :)

Good luck with the fostering, I do hope you'll update us on how you're getting on with it all  ;D

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2011, 13:47:17 PM »
Really pleased this has all turned out so well for this girl, well done to all  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2011, 13:46:04 PM »
that is great news!  don't know how far you are from Lesley (she is Gosport I think)

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2011, 13:42:57 PM »

Good news about Bella - she's 100% well.  Is having her spaying this afternoon AND she she's found a home.   The vets have a client who's just lost her cat and was looking for another one............yay !!!

The vets have been fantastic so I'm going to give them a plug here http://www.seadownvets.co.uk/   ........pls use them if you're in the Hampshire region.  They didn't even want me to pay for anything as it's coming out of their welfare fund http://www.seadownvets.co.uk/community.   I'm going to give them a donation equivalent to what her treatment would have cost so they can continue helping others.

So happy for her and great that she doesn't have to suffer a long car journey.  Also now I can take on some fosters and help others.  Battersea wouldn't have let me foster with another cat here.

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2011, 13:02:18 PM »
Could someone sit with her in the back - talking to her to try to keep her calm.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
If you homed her nearbye her previous home she may well just try and find her way back.

that is a good point

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
You've done a great job getting her out of there and should be proud of yourselves. Hope she is soon better.
I have moved a cat half way across Britain when we moved house and I took the risk of sedation as there was no other option. If you homed her nearbye her previous home she may well just try and find her way back. I would risk the journey with a sedative. I know our cat slept all the way with his and it was about 7 hours. I don't think you should try it with her loose even with a carer in case she panics though. How about a dog cage? That is what we moved ours in. It will be worth the meds to get her to your place safely I think.
Our cats were always very dopey after their spays and just lay in the car so how about you collect her after the spay and make the journey then while she is still sleepy?
I would love to see her homed with you xx
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »
Good news - her temp is lower and she seems perkier.  Keeping her under obs still though. 

Unfortunately they haven't been able to find her a home yet still though.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
that sounds like a good idea at least she does trust mlm and poppycat can concentrate on the road!

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2011, 21:50:24 PM »
I'm really glad we moved her.  Sounds like they are one of those awful shameless families.  I don't understand why they even get animals.

Good luck with your move.  I have some exams so may not post much myself in the next few days but will check on Bella daily and text you as soon as there's any news.

Wish money could fix everything !!   Paying her bills is the least of the problems !   If there is no option but to bring her up might have to rope you in as her carer for the drive up.  She knows and trusts you so would be more relaxed, particularly if she didn't have to go in the carrier again.

Thanks, and good luck with the exams. Yeh thats very true - sundays are best for me as i work the rest of the week mainly. :)

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2011, 21:35:05 PM »
I'm really glad we moved her.  Sounds like they are one of those awful shameless families.  I don't understand why they even get animals.

Good luck with your move.  I have some exams so may not post much myself in the next few days but will check on Bella daily and text you as soon as there's any news.

Wish money could fix everything !!   Paying her bills is the least of the problems !   If there is no option but to bring her up might have to rope you in as her carer for the drive up.  She knows and trusts you so would be more relaxed, particularly if she didn't have to go in the carrier again.   

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2011, 20:34:16 PM »
Gill, thats very true. As she was getting quite ansy just before poppycat arrived. Just glad shes getting the care she deserves!

Just went outside for more washing and to say goodbye to another neighbouring cat (very well loved, she has a lil Hitler 'taste and a beautiful coat!) and Bella's (previous) owners are out having a BBQ. Only ever met one of them, the boy, but not the whole family. Ahem. They are all screaming and swearing at each other and dont exactly seem like they look after themseleves well, let alone an animal!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2011, 20:12:14 PM »
Have as good move mlm  :hug: :hug:

Sending lots of get well vibes for bella  :hug: :hug:

You two have saved her life, now she needs to get better and be homed. Could be that she was feeling very ill in the car and that panicked her.

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2011, 19:26:46 PM »
Very true, and thank you for paying for all her bills too! I wont have internet from tomorrow until the 7th July - so poppycat, can you let me know updates via text please? :thanks:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2011, 18:55:12 PM »
Well if poppy hadnt of taken her - heaven knows what would of happened to her - poor little girl. At lease she is getting treatment. Sending her get well soon vibes xxxx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2011, 18:50:01 PM »
exactly lets hope they've given up on the whole cat idea

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2011, 18:46:40 PM »
So there you are, proof positive that we've done the right thing, even though she may not be appreciating it at the moment. 

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2011, 18:40:47 PM »
Yeh, in the long run it was the best idea. Well, another thing...when she was a kitten (8 weeks ish) and i found her outside, thoose people had 4 cats.

Now they have none, so the other 3 were either run over or got ill and they didnt care  :(

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2011, 18:33:52 PM »
mlm I feel bad too but actually you and I both did her a favour.  Left where she was and with you gone tomorrow god knows what would have happened.  Her infection is not necessarily related to her stress and could have flared up at any time soon. Doubt her owners would have done anything.  Without a doubt she would also have got knocked up sooner or later and then both her and future lives would be miserable. 

Also being left out in winter she would have perished. 

Let's just concentrate on being positive and sending her good vibes. She seemed like a fighter - hopefully she'll pull through soon.

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 18:30:07 PM »
Dont think so, havent heard them even call her name and I've been out in the garden for the last few days doing mountains of washing!

My boy loves being in the cat basket - he goes to sleep and chrips :) He'll go to sleep in it even if ive just left it on the floor. He is half ragdoll though, so he's got a very chilled personality!

I wonder if Bella is half something, and maybe thats why she freaked a bit (as well as it being a new situation) as to me her ears and face are quite pointed.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 18:11:38 PM »
it does seem like a shame, you sound like a person who could give her a great life

when I collected my bengal (who are known for being rather highly strung) she went nuts in the car and manged to turn her claws into bloody stumps trying to escape during our 1 hour journey, it was horrific and I honestly thought I'd damaged her beyond repair of course I hadn't and she settled down very quickly, she just didn't like the basket and still doesn't

anyway whatever you decide I'm sure it will be in her best interest

mlm you only did what you thought was best - has she been missed yet?

Offline mlm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 18:08:12 PM »
 :hug:

I know :) I just feel bad that shes in such a state, and that she has to stay in a cage at the vets when shes used to being out. Im really angry at the neighbours...shes in worse state than we thought. Wish that I could have her, it would have been a lot more simple!

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2011, 18:05:27 PM »
I did have a look at some animal ambulances, but none of them seemed any thing other than a taxi service.  She's going to need full resuc facilities !!

........checked on her today and she's now been put on antibiotics as she's still got a temperature. The vets not sure exactly where the infection is and why. She's got herself in a right old state, poor thing.  Odd because she seemed like a really confident cat when I met her.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »
there are companies that move animals for you - not sure if its an option you would consider

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
Just so you know my family is feral in majority with some tamed down poppets, some nearly normal doestics and a rescue ragdoll, the dogs are following in very big footsteps of Breeze my late deaf Border Collie and his ears the late great Miss Jazz Jack Russell she helped bring up Sky and Sunny as puppies before setting off for the bridge and Mistral puppy was a present from my late father he put a deposit down just before he died and pup wan't even born - my Oh arranged for him to become ours - All are pedigree Border Collies known as Astra Zephyr Sky who is 4 and black and white, Ravenhill Blazing Sunshine or Sunny is a red tricolour and finally my split face Blue Merle baby Astra Zephyr Mistral or Mist No!

We have just raised £2000 by doing a sponsered walk with the dogs for Perth CP our old branch its as easy route for us 300 miles driving walk 5km then come home round up the cats and get OH to the airport on time :rofl:

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2011, 23:47:19 PM »
Wow that's dedication.  I really take my hat off to all those of you actively involved in rescue.  As soon as I've got the Bella situation sorted I shall turn my attention to trying to help rescues with re-homing.  I don't think I can be emotionally detached enough to do rescue work - I will just be constantly upset and of no use.  I'd like to concentrate on fund raising and re-homing. Really glad I found this forum as will be incredibly useful getting advice.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2011, 23:33:59 PM »
We have several Bakers dozens and 3 dogs and its never cheap = our June vets bills were £1000 thanks to a feral being hit by a car and my big dogs Sky and Sunny standing on Mist Puppy's back legs b y accident - all recovered now thankfully OH works away from home to keep me and the Clan :rofl:

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2011, 23:25:17 PM »
I ordered some Feliway earlier today.  Wished I'd had it yesterday.  Liz your experiences have given me a bit more encouragement that I might perhaps be able to get her up here.  Am even thinking of having a little mini break in the New Forest for a few days with her so she can get to know me before driving up !!  This is turning in to a very expensive cat rescue !!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2011, 23:20:02 PM »
Anther option is Zylkene tablet split and popped on to her wet food - harmless tablet but takes the edge of them - I use them on my ferals to, also some rescue remedy in her water bowl and Some Feliway spray in the cat box and last resort some catnip anything to calm them - we also cover the box with a towel so its dark makes the ferals feel safe

If I can offer any other advice feel free to PM me - we moved 37 cats 150 miles so have some experience ;D

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2011, 23:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Liz - I'll ask the vet about those. 

Offline poppycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2011, 23:15:28 PM »
I asked the vet yesterday about a sedative and she said that a pre-med was an option.  However they are not without their risks and she will also be still re-covering post-operatively from her spaying, so could cause more complications. 

Her panic attack started very soon and if it was just a short journey I think that it could be ok. However the vets she's at now is in the opposite direction to where I live, adding on another half hour to the journey .  The total journey will now be closer to 2 hours and even with sedation I think too risky. 

Best option for her really is to try and re-home her very near to where she is now.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2011, 23:13:45 PM »
I get ACP tablets from the vet for use with my ferals, domestics and pedigree and did use them to move the clan 5 years ago - we crushed them added to a saucer of Tuna in brine and 30 mins later cat outcold and makes the journey easier for all round, quiet cat, better focus for driving etc

Our vets prescribed the tablets and our current vet lets us have them for the ferals when they need to have an op, or injections as the trauma is lessened cat goes to sleep at home and wakes up at home missing the nasty human handling

We have had no adverse effects on any of the ferals or any other cat or dog we have used them on and always under Vets guidance

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2011, 22:54:18 PM »
I dont know how far you live from where she is poppy but is there any chance that she can be moved short distances at a time by Purrs people.......or....I know its not normal and many vets do not approve but Liz uses sedative tabs when moving some of hers...............cant remember what they are called but she will tell you.

The current vet may agree this is an option in order to get her from A to B.

Link to CatChat