Author Topic: NOW HOMED - Surrey - Ginger & White Female Cat Needing A Loving New Home  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Great news, will move this to sorted now  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harriet
Thanks Edd!!!

She's actually gone to a fosterer too, but the lovely lady has said she will keep her.........unless there's a problem with the other cats but thats one thing I'm not worried about, she's never got into fight or anything!!!  I really don't think it could have worked out better for her!!!!

I can go and visit her whenever I like too.........only thing there is that I don't think Harriet will be bothered about seeing me  :'(  But, that doesn't matter as long as she is happy and settled!!!!!

Sad, happy and relieved all rolled into one......

x

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
Re: Surrey - Ginger & White Female Cat Needing A Loving New Home
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 14:45:58 PM »
That is good news - hope that Harriet continues to settle well at her new home.

Nice that you have had some updates - know you will feel sad at rehoming Harriet but you did what was best for her bearing in mind the situation.  :hug:

PS you have to put the "NOW HOMED" on your first post as well for it to show. :hug:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 14:47:25 PM by Edd »

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
NOW HOMED - Surrey - Ginger & White Female Cat Needing A Loving New Home
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 14:43:15 PM »
Sorry, you couldn't see the 'NOW HOMED' bit......silly me!!!

:thanks:

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
Hi all,

I just wanted to quickly let you know that Harriet has found a fantastic new home!!!!!  I am so please and relieved as I'm so sure she's going to be a much happier cat now and I know she will be safe and loved!!!!  We only took her yesterday and although I was obviously sad, she surprised me at how confident she actually was.  I've already had reports that she's doing really well AND sitting on laps for cuddles.  It just shows that she hadn't lost the 'lap cat' in her, she just didn't feel confortable to be like that with us anymore........that makes me sad, but I'm just happy that I've been able to help her be happier again instead!!!

Thank you all for your help!!

Laura x

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 17:45:10 PM »
Apologies for the very quick reply, I will respond properly when I am home from work. I thought I'd quickly let you know what I found out from another neighbour this morning........

Apparently my dear neighbour not only let's Harriet in the house etc as we knew (despite asking her not to) she also let's the FOX in and it curls up on her sofa!!!!!!!!!! No doubt, with Harriet next to it.

I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry in disbelief!!!!!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 17:31:10 PM »
She really is a little sweetie.  :Luv2: :Luv2:

I have been thinking about Harriet a lot and it seems that you are caught in a vicious circle with your neighbour and the flea problem, in that everytime Harriet goes there she attracts more fleas onto her.

I don't think any spot on will kill fleas on contact - believe most take up to 24 hours. So when she pops home - one or two could jump off into your house and your infestation starts again as Harriet is not spending a lot of time in your house. I wonder if you posted about this under health and behaviour whether people would be able to give you some advice on how to deal with the flea problem effectively.
Personally I would keep her in permanently and restrict her to one room (with no carpets) and then deal with the fleas in the house and on her - the products might even be able to work.

It is a sad situation cos it seems that the problem is not you or your husband or Harriet but the neighbour so can understand why you would like to see Harriet settled in a new home (minus the fleas ;).)

Re rescues - I have seen your area of surrey on another forum and I would contact all the local rescues for direct homing and to be placed on their lists to come into care. Places like Hounslow Animal Welfare (mainly home fostering) cover your area and others might like Croydon Animal Samaritans, Animal Lifeline and Animal Rescue and Care.  Epsom CP does direct homing I believe quite effectively - although you are just out of their area.

Like all rescues they probably have waiting lists but best to get Harriet on as many as possible. There also is the CP National Cat Centre in Haywards Heath but should they be able to take Harriett she will need to be transported there.   

Putting a notice up at your vets is a good idea from Helen - also cos the vet will be aware of clients who might be looking for a cat. But if an opportunity came that way or from direct homing think it would be beneficial to have the flea situation under control.

Good luck

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 00:04:58 AM »
She's lovely  :Luv:

You could ask to put posters up at your vets (or indeed any vets!) as vets are normally full of animal lovers. If you're in a postion to cover insurance for her then that may ease concerns about adopting an older cat.

I really hope you can find someone for her  :hug:

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 19:28:19 PM »
I'm hoping I might have mastered how to put the photos on here......... :wow:

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
She is a real sweetie!!

Frontline combo is what I used to use but the vet changed to 'Advatage' as it is supossidly a better product.  The house hold spray I use is 'Acclaim' from the vets, it says it lasts 12mths but I've not found this to be the case.

I heard the cat flap go at about midnight last night, so I managed to sneak downstairs before she ran out again. I gave her lots of strokes and then put the flea drops on (so finally some protection) but as soon as I did that she was straight out!!!! That's probably me not seeing / being able to get near her for a good few weeks :(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:51 AM »
 :Luv2: She's gorgeous.

Have you tried Frontline Combo and Indorex Spray for the house?  Those 2 products cleared my cat's fleas and 1 thorough spray of the Indorex lasts a year, you need to get those from the vets.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 21:56:03 PM »
Ah thank you so much!!!  I didn't have a clue how to do it.............I turn the computer on and work with what I know but anything technical and I'm useless!!!

She is a gorgeous cat and has lovely eyes, she just needs a lovely new home where she can hopefully be happier  :(

xx

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 21:51:31 PM »
She is very beautiful. I hope you find her a home.  I converted your pdf to a jpeg as I thought it might help. She is gorgeous x

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 20:30:53 PM »
 :thanks:

I've just spent ages on the phone to our local cat protection and the lady was lovely and sympathised.  She thinks Harriet's best chance is to go to a shelter though as she just won't be around for anyone to see her if I try the direct homing option   :'(  She, just like everywhere else has a waiting list though which is so sad and there's me just adding to it  :'(

She's just come in but as soon as she saw me she went straight back out - we're just the big bad people that keep trying to comb her and put lotions and potions on her now  :(  So, still no flea treatment on her, it's just a vicious circle.

I used the program and advantage together but they jump on her and straight back into the house it would seem.  The house spray I use is one from the vet (white can and red lid) but that didn't do the trick either.  Its just beyond silly!!! :-[

I've said that to the old lady but strangely she's not interested in that, only to 'kick them out' at 5pm every night. 

I really don't think she'd ever like the baby, she's never got used to any of our family and friends in 8 years, 1 of whom lived here for the first 3 years of her life.  It would be more of a case of whether she still had a nice life spending it outside all the time or not.  That's not so bad in the summer but winter???

It's just so hard to know what to do for the best and such a horrible situation!!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 17:38:52 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry it's under such upsetting circumstances  :hug: There have been a few members on here who have gone from very quiet homes to having children and the cats seem to have adapted OK. You obviously know your own cat best though but if you don't manage to find her a home you never know, she might adapt OK to the new arrival  :hug:

Do you think the old lady might be interested in offering her a more permanent home? You could offer to help with vet bills (if she has no pre-existing conditions you could pay for her insurance which would cover most eventualities). To save her having a flea problem if she did go to live with the old lady who feeds the foxes you can also a get a 6 monthly injection called 'Program' that stops fleas reproducing. The  vet strength sprays should only need to be sprayed in the house once a year.

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 14:52:33 PM »
That's definitely a better option than her going somewhere in a little pen thing.  Thank you for your tips, they're really much appreciated!!

She's very much an outdoors cat but I think that's partly circumstances.  My husband and I work all day so she goes out, but spends some of that time with the old lady next door.  My nephew came to stay at Easter (and has done in the past) and despite her not actually meeting him, so he didn't scare her or anything) she's pretty much moved out and won't come in the house until late at night.  I'm due to have a baby in 10wks and I don't believe there's normally a problem with cats and babies, but I think she will HATE it, but to the point of being scared and not coming in the house rather than sitting on the baby or anything silly like that.  I just don't feel that's a very nice life for her!!

There is also another issue that the old lady next door refuses to stop feeding the foxes and yesterday I saw Harriet at her back door with the fox standing side by side with her both being fed.  Unfortunately Harriet's coat is quite long and therefore fleas love it.  In a normal situation its fine and normal frontline or stronghold does the trick, but since we've had this fox issue I just can't get on top of it.  I've treated her with program and stronghold or frontline together, fumigated the house......AND the car and it still just doesn't work.  The fact that she's now not coming in at night means that I can't get hold of her to even treat her for the fleas at the moment, but because she's still in the house when where asleep the fleas are still being brought in.

I feel so guilty as it should in theory be an easy thing to sort and I know that's what I would thing if someone else said the same to me, but it really isn't that straight forward.  The old lady next door want the cats and fox to live happily ever after and just won't listen to my pleads (this is the third year of problems) and I really just can't have a baby covered in flea bite, that's just sooo wrong, nor can I really be spraying the house constantly with flea products

Because of Harriet's nervous nature though, I'm so worried that if I end up taking her to a shelter then she'll end up being there for ages because she won't 'sell' herself.  Also, her nervous nature might not make her ideal for fostering.

Probably saying that her coat is magnetic to fleas won't do her any favours BUT it really is due to the unnatural close proximity of the foxes, without them she's just like any other cat.  I just don't want anyone to think its because she's a bad cat, she's so not and is very sweet when she knows you and if she were happier in a quieter house then I'm sure she'd spend more time in having cuddles.

As for picture, I'll try to do this at the weekend!!!

Thanks for your help and to anyone that's taken the time to read this and might be able to offer her a new loving home!!!!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 14:24:26 PM »
Also it is worth mentioning that a lot of local rescues do home fostering when they take a cat in e.g. the cat will be in a home environment. Some also have pens in their garden but can be on a small scale so the cats get lots of attention from the fosterers, especially the shy ones. There are very few "big shelters" in surrey.

In saying that most rescues operate to a waiting list for cats that need to come in. But might be worth chatting through with the rescues that you contact

Good luck

PS Had a look at your attachment she looks a real sweetie - any chance you could upload a jpeg of her?

Also is she an indoor cat or does she like to go outside - might be useful info? :hug:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 14:29:35 PM by Edd, Reason: PS »

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 14:11:34 PM »
Thank you for your reply Edd, I didn't realise that was an option so will definitely look into it.

This is something I know nothing about as never thought I'd ever rehome an animal :'(

Fingers crossed I can find her a new and even better home!!!!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
Sorry you have to rehome your girlie.

Don't know what part of surrey you are in but some of the rescues I know do direct homing as well as taking cats in for fostering whilst a new home is found.

Direct Homing means that the cat stays with you and they will try to match a adopter to you and will home check them.Some even have direct homing pages on their websites.

Might be worth checking that out with some of the rescues near you:
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/surrey.html

Offline Lauralil

• Kitten
Hi,

It is with great regret that I need to find my 8 year old ginger and white neutered FEMALE cat a new home.

She has a very lovely nature but is quite shy, so she needs someone that will spend a bit of time getting to know her.  Unfortunately she will be too scared to be around small children, she'd be happier in a quiet-ish home.  She's friendly with other cats and would get used to a dog that's already used to cats.

If anyone can help at all I would be very grateful!!!  Due to her shy nature I really would like to avoid having to place her in a shelter!!

Many thanks,
Laura
 :(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 14:46:11 PM by Lauralil »

Link to CatChat