Author Topic: FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June - SORTED  (Read 10146 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June - SORTED
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
 :Luv: He's gorgeous! well done, have you found a home?

will move this now.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 23:26:42 PM »
Excellent news!  :wow:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 22:45:46 PM »
So pleased for this wonderful out come !

People need to learn about FIV ....do you know I had a VET tell Me that it could be caught by sharing feeding bowls  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alfie is beautiful, well done for saving his life

So who is Lucy that is having him ??

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 22:41:18 PM »
Wooo hooooo so pleased Alfie is safe .... and has a home!  He a lovely looking lad and I'm sure once he has been neutered and settles in his home he will turn into an even more handsome chap.  Thank you again for everything you have done for him.   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 22:20:35 PM »
Aww he is so sweet   :Luv2: :Luv2:-

I am sorry you have been so worried this week.  :hug: :hug: Sounds like you had an ally in that vet - hopefully more knowledge is also being gained by vets and they will also challenge rather than comply with the outdated views of a few who insist on FIV+ to be pts straightaway after a in-house test, within 7 days etc.

Well done to you - cos you cared Alfie will be having a better life from today :hug: :hug: 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 22:30:30 PM by Edd »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 21:50:38 PM »
What a handsome boy and this is all so wonderful, and he has a home too  ;D ;D

I agree education is the thing but surely we shouldnt have to be educating the RSPCA!

I hope that it will start to filter through that FIV is just like the HIV in humans but cats seem to do so much better than humans .

Well done for saving this cats life and also to the vet and the manager there.

Offline solar

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jet & Millie
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 21:33:05 PM »
Firstly, thanks to all of you for you help, support and advice, it's been invaluable and essential for saving Alfie.  :thanks:

Today went amazingly well, I was prepared for a battle but it didn't turn out that way. Me (and Alfie) were very lucky, the vet that visited him at the shelter was brilliant and extremely knowledgeable regarding FIV and the reality of FIV. She echoed what a lot of you have told me and what I had read and I couldn't have asked for a better person to give him a health check. As a result, the RSPCA manager was happy to release him to me today and despite me offering to pay his bills refused on the basis that I was prepared to offer Alfie a future. He has been true to his word and in the end did what was best for Alfie.

I've gone through a terrible week, hardly eaten or slept and my work has suffered. But as a result of this distressing experience, this has educated me in FIV and more importantly I hope this information will infiltrate the RSPCA with the hope that one day, if enough of us try to educate them, they will change their national policies. After all, education is the only way we can enlighten people regarding FIV and prevent the misinformation spreading.

Thanks again everyone, you helped save a cat's life today.  ;D Alfie will be neutered and vaccinated and off to his amazing new home (thank you Lucy :) ) as soon as possible. Here is a photo of him this evening giving you all a high five.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
Re: FIV+ cat RSPCA PTS date 8 June in Devon
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 19:28:32 PM »
That's fabulous news! Whatever you decide at least the darlng boy is safe now. Well done you, look forward to your update x

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 17:34:07 PM »
great news, well done x

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 17:18:25 PM »
Great news, good luck whatever you decide with him.

Nicky

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 16:42:39 PM »
Great news  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 15:29:49 PM »
wonderful news

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 14:59:10 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :dance: :cheer: :cheer:

Fabulous news - so pleased Alfie is safe. ;D  Any chance of a pic of the little boy later?. :innocent:

Look forward to your update later  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 14:53:37 PM »
Oh I am so pleased  :hug: :hug:

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 14:51:50 PM »
I've got him, Alfie is safely here!!!!!!!!! Will update more later.  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 20:54:38 PM »
I can totally understand your reservations about integrating him with your cat  :hug: - I'm going through exactly the same thing with my foster cat Chico who is FIV+ . I would so like to integrate him with mine - but there is a huge issue with my ginger and white mog Harry who hates Chico, and the feeling, unfortunately is mutual. Chico is a lovely gentle boy around most of my others (when I take him out in the garden on his harness) - but when Harry comes on the scene - it is like Jekyll and Hyde  :scared:

Good luck with your discussions with RSPCA on Wed  :hug:

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 20:34:57 PM »
I've put a summary post in FIV owner's Club board on CatChat. I'll also email Bob, thanks again for all the support  :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 19:52:14 PM »
Thats good, thanks Edd

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 19:47:02 PM »
I really think you need to post this on Cat Chat because help is needed in 24 hours really
Gill - Solar has already posted on CC under Rescue and Rehoming.

Solar you might want to also put a summary post under the FIV owner's Club on CatChat as some posters only visit that section  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 19:37:43 PM »
I really think you need to post this on Cat Chat because help is needed in 24 hours really

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 19:26:53 PM »
Solar

I don't suppose the manager of the shelter advised what time limits they applied to FIV+ before pts? Before you have further discussions on Wednesday I suspect you will need a range of options for getting this boy out and away from a "rescue organisation" who will pts FIV+.

I am not sure that they will allow you to "foster" this boy until a permanent home comes along - think they will play now in their care they have a "duty of care". Think they will be looking for an adoption. So besides here and on other sites which could produce help from out of your area. You perhaps need to also focus on local help.

Could I suggest that you contact Bob at Catworks. He runs the FIV Sanctuary that Gillian (Ambercat) gave the link to.He is not a million miles away in Somerset and although he is not taking any more cats in he may know of others that could help locally either adoption or rescue. I know that he has always been willing to help and advise on FIV+ cats.

http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/sanctuary.html
Bob can be contacted by e-mail on the "contact us" page.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 19:30:40 PM by Edd »

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 19:07:19 PM »
Perhaps tell the RSPCA you will look after the cat for now, separately from other cats, until you can think of something more longterm.  Really hope you can get this little one soon!  I feel for you both.  PM me if you want to chat.  :hug:   :hug:

Offline solar

• Kitten
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 18:25:27 PM »
I thought I should give you the heads up on what I'm thinking and some background. Sorry it's been a few days since I posted and I apologise for the lengthy post. I've had a lot of information to digest and decisions to make.

I am still very concerned about adding this boy to my household and so I am hoping to find him a better home elsewhere. I'll explain my reasons, he is lovely and not aggressive at all though he will hold your hand in his mouth if he's stressed (he doesn't bite though, more a warning). My concern is with my current cat, we rehomed her as she does not tolerate other cats, she had previously been rehomed with 2 of her kittens but after her spay and as the kittens grew up she would not tolerate them, started hissing within a metre of the house and started to lash out at the kittens and children, her personality changed according to her owner, this behaviour was evident when we visited, she seemed very unhappy and refused to go anywhere near the room they were in – it had got to the point where they were being kept separate. She has settled happily with us and seems a completely different cat to our first meeting, that is until she sees or smells another cat which makes her aggressive and angry. We made a discovery recently after we saw her playing with another cat in the garden, I was shocked. I investigated and realised the young cat she was playing with was a girl. Later I noticed her interactions with my neighbour's cats, the usual foul language and claws appeared when she saw the boy, but she showed little interest in the girl. We concluded that her problems with cats was only with male cats and wondered if this was due to the first 18 months of her life being unspayed and constantly chased by toms. After having a discussion with a friend who adopts 'hard to rehome' cats and regularly introduces new cats, we were planning to foster with the intention to adopt a female cat this summer and try and gradual introduction process to see how it went.

I think introducing a male cat to her could be extremely problematic with the added risk (however small) of FIV as well, especially as she gets so aggressive. When they were outside together, she would chase him off so there was never any confrontation that we know of. We used to feed him at night in the conservatory when she was in bed! Inside, in an enclosed space which is her territory, it could get aggressive. I don't want you to think I am anti-FIV – this isn't the case at all. I have to consider my own cat too. I am more than happy to foster this boy where he will be separated from my other cat until a suitable home can be found, preferably with secure outside access which I am unable to offer him, at least in the short term (we are renovating the house).

My other concern is that the RSPCA will not release him to me if they discover I have another cat. They could easily discover this by talking to our vet, there is also someone at the shelter that knows me. So, ultimately if they do release him to me it will be on a foster basis until I find him a better home, I also need a backup plan if they won't release him to me due to my other cat.

So does any one know of a suitable home I could give as an alternative to mine? Preferably a home with FIV+ cats already as this would reassure the RSPCA and vet that the new owners are fully aware of the condition and secure outside access would be a bonus as inside restriction was another concern of theirs. I'm happy to transport him pretty much anywhere if it means a happy home.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 18:38:31 PM by solar »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 17:56:39 PM »
Just to add in case anyone is concerned that it isn't general CP policy to pts FIV + cats although unfortunately there are still some branches who don't feel they have to abide by national policies. Guidance is to use our judgement on whether to test (our branch only tests those we think are really at risk) and only to pts if very ill and vet advises. So as Gill rightly says there could be a lot more out there than we know because we haven't tested them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 17:59:42 PM by Ann Clarke (Tabby cat) »

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 16:12:15 PM »
I've got two that don't like each other but they never come to blows

I have a brother and sister who fight.  Like humans I guess!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 15:57:35 PM »
I've got two that don't like each other but they never come to blows

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 15:39:17 PM »
Yes fighting would be bad but just not getting on , no problem.

The bottom line is that all of us with rescue cats do not know if they are FIV or not, unless they have been tested.

Most cats with CP are not tested, its only certain CP places that automatically test and then PTS like RSPCA, we have a rehoming centre at Bridgend who do this.

Thanks for your answer.  I just thought if cats didn't get on, there's a bigger risk of them fighting. 

I suppose it's true that a lot of cats aren't tested, unless FIV is suspected. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 13:37:39 PM »
Yes fighting would be bad but just not getting on , no problem.

The bottom line is that all of us with rescue cats do not know if they are FIV or not, unless they have been tested.

Most cats with CP are not tested, its only certain CP places that automatically test and then PTS like RSPCA, we have a rehoming centre at Bridgend who do this.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 13:08:40 PM »
I am so pleased that many members have a mix of FIV+ and FIV negs -
Thankfully a lot of the "old fashioned views" are dieing out :cheer:

Isn't it still an issue if cats fight or don't get on though?  Don't get me wrong, there's no way I think FIV+ should be PTS.  Feel VERY strongly about this! 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 16:33:24 PM »
I am so pleased that many members have a mix of FIV+ and FIV negs -
Thankfully a lot of the "old fashioned views" are dieing out :cheer:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 14:11:24 PM »
Solar, I agree with Susan + 7.  Maybe the best way to get this cat back quickly is to tell a white lie, and find a friend to help.  Or tell the RSPCA that you will be keeping him separate from the other cats, whether you are or not. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 13:02:13 PM by CuteCats »

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 13:38:30 PM »
Solar, could a friend of yours come forward as his "rightful owner", thank you so much wonderful RSPCA for taking in my lad but I'll be taking him back now, I'm so glad he's been found safe and well, I'm so grateful, here's a donation to make you go away...etc etc. It might be a quicker way of getting him out...

I have 7 cats, one of whom is FIV+. He's absolutely fine, you wouldn't know that there was anything wrong to look at him, and after very careful introductions there's been no cross-transmission with any of my other furries in the past 18 months that he's been part of the family.

Good luck, and well done for caring so much about this boy  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 13:23:27 PM »
. It seems there was a misunderstanding at the vets and he shouldn't have ended up at the shelter, the vet must have assumed we didn't want to care for him. Now he is at the shelter, the manager feels he has a duty of care to the cat and won't release him until he is in full possession of the facts.

The "duty of care" line is one that they love to use to take animals in when they want to get hold of them, but seems to be forgotten about when you phone them about strays and other sorry cats.

We recently had a cat brought in by the chap who actually hit it with his car - fractured jaw, broken femur and other injuries, and RS*** refused any money for treatment, even further painkillers after initial treatment.

Unfortunately, with no owner claiming the cat and with such severe injuries, we had to put the cat to sleep to save it suffering.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 13:20:37 PM »
Just to let you know how things are in my mixed FIV+ and FIV- household.

I rescued a stray who had an appalling limp, shredded ears, no manners whatsoever, but had been feeding at my house for months and got along nicely with my other cats. I trapped him and took him to the local vet who neutered him under the RSPCA voucher scheme for me.

Chubby, as we had named him, was blood tested as my household at the time was all FIV-, so I wanted to know if Chubby could come and live with us, thinking that FIV+ would be dangerous. I was gutted when the tests came back positive  (we double checked with the lab in Glasgow) but the vet summoned me in for a chat.

My vet said this: many domestic cats are FIV+ without their owners even knowing. Most never succumb to it and the only statistics available are from the stray cat population that only ever get tested for FIV+ when they are rescued, and even these high risk cats only come in at 40% positive. No-one keeps stats of how many domestic cats are FIV+ the proportion could very well be exactly the same.

As Chubby was already on good terms with my residents (three of whom are rescued strays but never blood tested so may indeed be +ve themselves) we decided to give him a chance so he came home with me rather than going to the CPL. I kept him in until his stink subsided and cat proofed the garden so he could go out into the sunshine but not escape (he can't climb because of his dicky hips).

One year on, he never fought, clawed or bit any of my resident cats, he's a sweet boy who has befriended my only female cat and they are now inseparable, and although he still won't allow me to pet him I'm so pleased we have helped this little guy out.

I hope this gives you some hope, FIV+ is not a death sentence and PTS is totally unnecessary unless the animal has secondary symptoms.

I still have views about FeLV, though, as this is highly contagious, unlike FIV+ which is usually only transmitted by deep bite wound, sexual contact or blood transference. I understand that FeLV is also tested for, but you would be wise to ask if this has in fact been done. Bless you for caring.  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 13:17:24 PM »
Was going to say exactly the same Edd.  No matter what you have been told, keep hassling them.  We were given assurances with regard to Trooper which all turned out to be "not true", so although it is nice that the Manager of the Shelter is saying these things, do not take them as guaranteed.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 21:40:16 PM »
He has promised that the cat will be safe and not PTS before we discuss his future again on Wednesday, I hope we have convinced him that FIV is not a good enough reason in itself to end any cat's life and that if he is otherwise healthy he may have many more years of happiness ahead.

Just a thought cos have been here before (although not with this specific shelter), you might want to consider checking in how the little cat is doing on the telephone each day or even calling at the shelter if you can-  until you have that further discussion with the manager.  :hug:

As others have said, will be here to support the release of your little man to your care.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 21:29:07 PM »
So pleased you have spoken with the manager and do hope the cat is released to you, if there is a problem then I think it will be an urgent requirement for all members of this forum to bombard the branch in question with emails and or phone calls.

If you can post on Cat Chat too that will be great too and am sure those on FB would put this up too.

WE must save this cat and thank you for going for it  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Agree 100%. It makes me so mad that the local branch of RSPCA have passed me up twice for an indoor only adult (no home check), when other branches are PTS healthy cats.  >:( How hard would it be to set up a similar system to that which the Oxfam website has for selling collectibles (individual stores upload their items)??

Anyway  :crossed:  and hope you stick around, Solar.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 21:29:51 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 21:21:51 PM »
It's so great that you are willing to fight for this little chap  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 20:46:26 PM »
So pleased you have spoken with the manager and do hope the cat is released to you, if there is a problem then I think it will be an urgent requirement for all members of this forum to bombard the branch in question with emails and or phone calls.

If you can post on Cat Chat too that will be great too and am sure those on FB would put this up too.

WE must save this cat and thank you for going for it  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 20:25:56 PM »
Bless you for caring for this little FIV boy. I have both FIV+ and FIV- in my gang. The eldest FIV+ is 14+ and going strong. They can live long and normal lives. Perfect as indoor cats for people in flats but also can be outside but restricted to property by cat proof fencing. There is absolutely no need to pts and I sincerely hope you can persuade the RSPCA to release him to you. I would be happy to cross post on the Catchat FIV Forum for you.

Link to CatChat