Author Topic: Question...  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
Re: Question...
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
Not being funny her but think she is not as stupid as she makes out.  Think about it she gets them for Christmas and then starts selling them at £75, around xmas kittens are in short suppy a) not kitten season and b) people have not been able to get them so therefore you can ask more for them.

Think she has had her business head on in all honesty and more than likely googled to come up with a good excuse with the time delay between her being asked and her putting the other cat up for sale.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »
I think you can be more allergic to one cat in general than another, and of course you become desensitised through continual exposure (so you normally can live with your own quite happily). I'm fine with Suki, who's got very very very very very sleek fur mind you (she should do with the size of the food bill and amount of time she spends having a bath in my bed blocking my view of the telly), but when I go to my mum's house - the two boys there DO make me react slightly (not that I'd stop fussing of them mind you) - I did reject rehoming a long-hair when I originally got Suki though because of the allergy reason - figured I'd better not push my luck too far. My little brother, since he moved out to go to uni - struggles desperately with them because he lost the day-to-day exposure keeping his reactions in check, but since our family all have the view that you never ditch your family members however inconvenient they may become (this refers to cantankerous grandparents as well!) - and that goes for furry as well as fleshy, he just copes by lots of hand washing and keeping his bedroom as a completely cat free zone.

Perhaps the person in the OP reacted MORE because it was a new cat into the household than out-and-out gender issues?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 22:48:05 PM »
I don't know. I just answered the question whether you can be allergic to male cats, but not female. The answer is yes.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 22:42:18 PM »
I guess the real question is if the difference is considerable enough for your average allergy sufferer to notice. As I said, I'm more allergic to my female cat :shify:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 22:35:32 PM »
It is also said that neutered males are less than un-neutered, but still more than females.

There was a discussion on Purrs about this last year (?) I remembered, which is why I looked on Google to double check.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 22:29:15 PM »
Surely male cats won't produce more testosterone if they are immature or neutered? AFAIK castration of any male animal stuffs testosterone production. Testosterone can be produced by a female, but the levels are ~10% in humans. ** toddles off to Google **
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 21:34:28 PM »
"Male cats are more allergic than female cats, because testerone increases Fel d 1 production by the sebaceous glands."

http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/7.html

there are numerous other sites on Google which says the same thing ....

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 21:02:29 PM »
This is a good idea. I will do so. Cant hurt to ask. Im not holding my breath though as I suspect shes going to want the full asking price.  :hug: Thank you xxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 21:00:39 PM »
You could message her and say you don't want all his "stuff" and would be happy to give him a good home if she'd let him come to you based on that knowledge. Tell her you can't afford what she's asking but you already have cat stuff in because you have Elvis and see what she says.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 20:55:05 PM »
Thank you. He's not as laid back as he looks in his photos heehee. But thats just kitten things though. His biting is nearly under control and hes stopped swiping and scratching. Hes still making a mess of my bloomin wallpaper in the livingroom tho  :rofl:  But this will pass.

To be honest this time of year I just don't have that kind of money shes wanting for him  :(  I would love to have him here with us. My husband has said shes just more than likely realised that she cant be  :censored:  looking after the kittens, and probably realised the cost of vaccinations etc. Shes a bit of an a-hole in general and he's quite annoyed at the whole situation too.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 20:46:12 PM »
No, there's no evidence supporting that a male or female cat can cause different level of allergic reaction as far as I'm aware.

And it all depends on the cat - if Elvis is as laid back he looks I don't think it'll be an issue.....

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 20:38:26 PM »
See... now I was thinking its a load of  :censored: too but then I'm only just learning the ways of kittens etc, so I didnt want to be too presumptious, incase there was such a thing. Shes messaged me saying if anyone wants him and his stuff shes selling for £75. Im really quite annoyed at her.  >:( Shes a very irrisponsible woman at the best of times when it comes to life and its no secret shes made plenty of wrong and stupid choices.

Im just worried the wee kitty will go to someone who wont love it properly etc.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 20:34:32 PM »
Well, first of all, what an irresponsible :censored:

I think it's a load of old codswollop and it is more about individual cats than anything else. I would say I am more allergic to Chilli than Dave and I think this is down to her slightly different coat (they are both short haired moggies).

I have built up a resistance and am always worse with new cats or if I'm under the weather I suffer more.

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 20:20:28 PM »
Could I please just ask... when it comes to allergies to cats, can you be allergic to male cats but not female cats?

Im asking as someone on FB who I know bought 2 male kittens on boxing day. The next day she was trying to sell one off, wouldnt say why. Then today shes posted that she needs rid of the other male kitten. I asked why and she said she was too allergic. She said had she had a female cat then she would have been fine with the kitten.

Also, in your experience, would introducing a male kitten into our house when we have Elvis be the wrong idea? Would a female cat be better to introduce into the house now Elvis has established himself as the alpha male cat? I just dont like the thought of her kitten going to someone who isnt going to love it properly etc.... this girl is known for making loads of ridiculous mistakes with life etc

The kittens she bought were brothers... she sold the 1st one the night that she updated her FB status saying she needed to sell it.
Thank you for any help :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 21:05:02 PM by AllShookUp »

Link to CatChat