Author Topic: FUNDRAISING EVENTS  (Read 21566 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: FUNDRAISING EVENTS
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2007, 21:03:21 PM »
Thread taken back to Topic subject only

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 19:29:24 PM »
Thanks for your comments Desley. Nobody is saying that it is bad to have a website and that it can be good. But having a website is not essential and is a matter of choice.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 20:59:53 PM by Tan »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 19:28:06 PM »
it may be unfortunate but i agree the way of the world is online these days..i for one now get very annoyed when i cannot find something online because i have become so accustomed to living my life through a computer to find out things and buy things and look for things etc etc.  What these smaller rescues need aswell as those friends who help fundraise etc is someone who'll help in the way of websites etc.

Hope i dont get deleted for that type of thing lyn..i'd have been erased long ago  :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 19:17:24 PM »
I cannot see anything wrong with trying to show the benefits of a rescue having a website - it is hard to keep on top of, but there is loads of proof on here that it works . Some of the calls we get, very few of them would know about us if it wasn't for the internet, be it CC or the personal one (can't always find out which one), the rescue lady never advertised before I offered to do it. Am going to try and find the other threads now.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 21:01:59 PM by Tan »
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 19:05:05 PM »
Yes, I'm like you Lynn.  I either check out the good causes I'm interested in myself or I do some serious research about them before I donate anything. That's one of the many reasons that I recommend a website to all our Purrs good causes: it makes desk research easier for potential donors, quite apart from the publicity value for the needy cats.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 19:01:15 PM »
Just to say that whilst sites are great sometimes they are not updated regularly and this is the case for some of the larger charities as at the end of the day we are all volunteers and sometimes our own lives, jobs, 2 and 4 footed kids just have to come first and our rescing comes second or further down the list.

We do find out about the rehoming as a lot of the new owners end up becoming posters here and on other sites and we always find out what everyone has done as we all spend time here and at other places so perhaps whilst it all seems great to have a site its not always the best way.

In an ideal world it would be but unfortunately we all live in the real world with others needing part of our time this includes families, employers and anyone else who need us.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 18:59:45 PM »
crumbs goodness knows what all that is about but last year i set up a direct debit for WSPA, before i decided to give them my money which is only under £5 per month but still its what i can afford i sent them an email just asking for a brief explanation if i could be sure most of my husbands hard earned money would go to the animals and they were totally fab and sent me detailed breakdowns showing of they have kept admin costs and such like to a minimum etc so i gave them my money over other charities.

I like to see where my money goes before giving it or continuing to give if that makes sense and i'm the type of person who rather gives the goods than cash ie i am giving HUGE amount fo very good stuff (i could it sell and make money for myself)  on to romania and also i'd rather buy a sandwich to give to a homelss person rather than give him money.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 18:20:22 PM »
I don't believe any of the rescues mentioned on this thread have refused to have a website. The purpose of CatChat is to help the rescues without homing pages to home their cats and if the rescues are happy doing that and not having a site of their own then I am happy to leave them to it. Having a website doesn't mean your activities become transparent.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 18:22:42 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

fuzziesdad

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
I hope you dont mind me jumping into this Mild Thing  ;D

I think your ideas are great but also that when one man/woman bands like Ron, Dawn and Teresa are concerned,  there has to be a balance between what is most important in terms of time. Having spoken to the latter two, I know they are totally stretched physically and financially to carry on their work rescuing cats and websites need knowledge to make and time to maintain.

I believe that neither of these two wonderful ladies have the resources to create and maintain a website and the first priority for them is the rescue and rehoming of cats and in Dawns case endless hours trying to trap the feral furries.

I do not know too much about Rons knowledge and physical well being, I know at somepoint he took time to learn how to create a website and he maintains it when he has time but he must have also had the computer literate side tackled.  To be honest I do not know how he manages but he seems to and I hope our support to him last Christmas was of a little assistance to his rescue.

Teresa I know has been in rescue longer I believe than the combined time Of Dawn and Ron  so is well known in her area and well respected. Dawn has many many contacts and through them and her vets etc etc she also has a wide net. What I am trying to say is that each one of the 3 run their work in different ways and a website albeit it useful, is not a necessary thing and in some ways could also be a disadvantage due to cranks and the other idiots that one gets in cyberspace now.

From my point of view I think that each should be allowed to priorotize their time, knowledge and expertise in the way that suits them best individually and the advent of websites should be left totally to them because it is not a necessary essential in their line of work.

Rons site took him next to no time to make as did mine because both of us went to an IT coarse to learn how to Rons site was created specifically for a lost and found list to enable him to put photo's of lost and found cats on was then utilized to advertise cats that needed re-homing it takes as long to put a picture on a website as it does to put one on here.
As for security it would be no different to the security you have on here both of our sites are secure although someone did try and hack into mine to remove my links to the hovel,I spoke to ron last night and it was about midnight and he had just finished seeing to the cats,he spends every hour he can trapping,collecting strays and the problems that go with all that as well as running the lost and found,he has not been well although lately he has been feeling a lot better.
I would also agree with what "mild thing" has suggested I am sure teresa would like to have a website,and dawn already has one it is of coarse their decision  whether they want to take up the kind offers people have made to make a site for them,the sites do not have to be sophisticated(take a look at mine) they just have to do the job,cat photo's,info as to where the cats can be seen,phone number,address,now you might say that the last two are taking some kind of risk .but ron has them on his site and as far as I know he has had no problems.
Point in case here ron had two persians sisters that needed homing together he put them on his site and a lady in essex came to look at them and ron delivered them the following week after speaking to the ladies vet(he still gets the odd photo and info about them from this lady.)

So where is the problem I know that ron does have his problems(this is where I wish I still lived in Brighton) but he gets over them without much fuss his and I am sure anyone in rescue's main problem is finding the money to carry on and on this point I'm sure ron will agree having a website has helped him no end people who have continued to support him after adopting a cat can go and look at where there donations and gifts of food,blankets,baskets,bowls ect,ect go and they are always welcome to go and see ron (as I know some from this site already have) and have a cupper and chat although they might find themselves in charge while he goes off to the vet or to collect another cat.

It might seem as though this is one big advert for Ron ...but I know ron I have seen his work,I have been with him while he is at work,he and I have been friends since he came looking for our fuzz and anyone who has virtually no heels go stumbling through bushes and scrub at 3 in the morning is the sort of person I call a friend.
Ron is not seen that often on this or any other forum,he does not have the time thats why I sometimes post for him,normally its a garbled   
message from him on his mobile from the vets or a car boot somewhere that there is a cat on his site (normally put on there in the early hours) needs to be put on this or some other site whether it is a lost cat or one that need a home.
a rather long post but the point here is people need to see what you are doing,you have to be transparent in what you do,you have to allow people to see you at work,otherwise thats when the funds start to dry up.
And gill I hope this goes some way into letting you know more about what Ron is about.               

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »
In Teresa's case, I understand that KBabe has purchased a domain for her and is building a Paws Inn site to be hosted on here, as Tan kindly suggested.

Personally, I think nowadays a web presence is important.  A site doesn't have to be elaborate or constantly updated, so the work involved needn't be onerous. It's certainly what I'd advise any client of ours.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 10:22:51 AM »
From the other side of the coin, our website (Both the personal one and the CC homing page) has dramatically increased the amount of cats we rehome - before I joined the branch two years ago, they struggled to home the mum cats, as everyone wanted the kittens, and no one would look at anything older - I started the CC homing page, and last year we had our own website, and it has dramatically increased the number of adoptions - and we now have a waiting list for kittens, so we should hopefully have homes for the week old kittens we have by the time they are old enough to leave mum, which will be a first - the rescue has been running for 11 years in July. I am not sure if seeing the cats in pens with radios and heat is necessary, as you can't see either on a pic.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2007, 21:01:57 PM »
All the cats in my care are in my home.  I don't have pens but hopefully that will be a bit closer to happening this year.   Mine have access to any part of the house including the bedrooms so they have all mod cons, tv, radio and heating and of course the use of the sofas and beds.........whatever they fancy.  As Gill has pointed out, a website isn't the be all and end all of rescue, with summer coming up, having the time to maintain it, in my case anyway is a no no.  If I had the time, my parrot website would be regularly updated but as time is limited, it doesn't happen.  I honestly don't know how this may bring "great benifits" by showing it online either, all it will do is reduce the time that we have already which is already in short supply.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 20:30:17 PM »
I hope you dont mind me jumping into this Mild Thing  ;D

I think your ideas are great but also that when one man/woman bands like Ron, Dawn and Teresa are concerned,  there has to be a balance between what is most important in terms of time. Having spoken to the latter two, I know they are totally stretched physically and financially to carry on their work rescuing cats and websites need knowledge to make and time to maintain.

I believe that neither of these two wonderful ladies have the resources to create and maintain a website and the first priority for them is the rescue and rehoming of cats and in Dawns case endless hours trying to trap the feral furries.

I do not know too much about Rons knowledge and physical well being, I know at somepoint he took time to learn how to create a website and he maintains it when he has time but he must have also had the computer literate side tackled.  To be honest I do not know how he manages but he seems to and I hope our support to him last Christmas was of a little assistance to his rescue.

Teresa I know has been in rescue longer I believe than the combined time Of Dawn and Ron  so is well known in her area and well respected. Dawn has many many contacts and through them and her vets etc etc she also has a wide net. What I am trying to say is that each one of the 3 run their work in different ways and a website albeit it useful, is not a necessary thing and in some ways could also be a disadvantage due to cranks and the other idiots that one gets in cyberspace now.

From my point of view I think that each should be allowed to priorotize their time, knowledge and expertise in the way that suits them best individually and the advent of websites should be left totally to them because it is not a necessary essential in their line of work.

Offline Mild Thing

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 17:56:51 PM »
It's very encouraging to see that people on this site are thinking about ways to communicate more efffectively the great work they are doing. Having noodled around a number of sites devoted to similar good causes (yes I WILL get a life, just give me a ltttle time) I think there are some ideas that could be usefully considered. For example, I know from visiting Ron's rescue that his pens have a radio playing as well as heating (maybe not good for his carbon footprint but the residents seemed very appreciative). I feel that pictures of features like these will really bring home to those that are at all sympathetic what is involved in running a cat rescue. From reading this trail I can see that rescuers like Ron, Dawn and Teresa are all thinking about their websites. Far be it from me to lumber them with yet more work, but maybe showing these little things online will bring great benefits. Just a thought.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
Your'e Definately a Nutty cat Woman Dawn  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :hug: sorry you said it  :evillaugh:  :Luv:

And i reckon Ron's a nutty cat man  :hug:  :rofl: :rofl:

You both do fantastic jobs in helping the cats, I respect and love both of you for doing that. It can't be easy.

How's the charity status going Ron? Is it all sorted now? Will that help with funds when you've got it, I'm not sure how that changes things as you would still be a one man band? :Luv:

Dawn i hope George is going to be ok. Love and prayers are with you.  :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 02:26:50 AM »
LOL, the help I was referring to was topping up a few food dishes, trying to get them to do anything else is like banging my head against the wall  :rofl:  So yes, I am a one man band also.  None of my friends locally are into cats, they think I'm mental and just can't understand why I put all my time into them.......even my vet classes me as the crazy cat woman  :Crazy:  I love what I do and find it so rewarding and I'm sure you feel the same.  I was always into parrots and dogs years ago but as you will see from my website, I have rescued all sorts including hand rearing 4 fox cubs.  Basically I am a softy when it comes to animals as I love them all  :Luv:  My passion for cats grew a few years ago when I was helping a friend trap some feral kittens.........within weeks I was obsessed  :rofl:  I was mainly doing the trapping, neutering and releasing but then the odd one started to stay, then feral kittens that needed taming and rehoming, then the odd stray and now I'm a nutty cat woman  :evillaugh:  I was never really into cats growing up but I have definitely found my vocation now.........all I ever wanted to do growing up was to do something worthwhile with animals, I am now doing that and will continue to do so as long as I can.  I don't have time for fundraising either, maybe we should try and get a little band of helpers off the forum......lol.  I am lucky in some respects that I have such a good relationship with my vets, they are fab and they would always treat my animals even when I don't have the funds, which is usually the case.  I have just had 2 cats in on an oxygen tank and the treatment is apparently very expensive........I haven't got a clue what my bill is yet but the vets don't even question when they will get paid........they know they will but when is the question  :shify:  You take care Ron, and keep up the good work......you do a fab job and I really admire your dedication  :hug:

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 02:05:34 AM »
 Hi Dawn you don't have to tell me about being knackered i know as i am like that all the time your lucky to have help i cant seem to find any cat lovers that want to spend time helping, and when i do find someone they don't seem to last long, I'm a one man band just cant get the help these days" and i don't need to check on any one, as know about vet bills i run at a £ 1000 per mth behind with mine, just wish i had time to do more carboots and fund raising but their is not enough time in a day, but things always seem to workout in the end, I just keep praying i can keep going I'm off to bed now, sorry you have no tips for me i was relying on you, talk soon  goodnight Ron.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 00:26:50 AM »
I've only got a few parrots now Ron, I haven't really got the time to do both and it was making my health bad.  I browse on the forum in between jobs and go to bed early hours of the morning.........I used to go about 5 and 6 in the morning after finishing my cats but I've started going earlier now as I was knackered all the time.......lol.  Both my boys love the parrots and the cats and hubby is here all the time so they don't lack the company.  Some days I am out nearly all day if I'm trapping and just pop back for something to eat, this is where the kids come in as they feed the cats for me.  So, sorry I have no tips for you, it's just a case of juggling and being knackered all the time........lol

My website is rarely updated and when it is, hubby does it as I haven't got a clue.  The vet I use for little things and spaying and neutering is literally 2 minutes down the road, any major things my other vets is about 17 miles away.  I don't go out anywhere unless it's to the vets or trapping so I don't think a little me time on the forum is much to ask for  :)  And considering you state I spend a lot of time on the forum, I don't really have that many posts  ;)  Also, I should add, if anyone would like my vets details to verify what I do or to contact peeps on the forums who have had cats off me and been to my house, they are more than welcome and they can also contact Royal Canin to find out how much food I buy on a weekly basis.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:00:46 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 23:45:44 PM »
 i don't know where you get the time from Dawn to do Parrots as well as all the rescue work you do, my cats and web site and running to the vets keeps  me working all the hours i can put in, and you spend time on the forum a lot as well can you give me a few tips .

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 16:23:09 PM »
I do Lyn but I also rehome them, I really want to concentrate on the cats now as they take up all of my time so I try not to take in too many parrots if I can help it.  They are wrecking my house and do needs lots of attention.  I have a few people who want parrots so rather than me take them in, I try and get them a home from home which is much better for them.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 14:23:39 PM »

He he way ahead of you Blip ;)

The other night OH and I were wondering if T wanted a website of her own and this this thread came along. So after getting T's agreement, last night I purchased a domain for Paws Inn which I will build with OH and we will kindly ask Tan if we can host www.pawsinncats.com on her server.

Oh, that's brill Ruth! Hoorah for you!  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 14:22:55 PM »
Thanks Tan  :hug: If anyone would like a link on my parrot site, I will try and persuade hubby to put them on there cos I haven't got a clue  :rofl:  When we set up the parrot site, I was doing parrot rescue as we've kept parrots ourselves for over 20 years......the cat rescue came into it later and then slowly took over my whole life  :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 14:18:25 PM »
No probs Kelly, Will have a word with me hubby cause all that stuff is him domain  ;)

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 14:16:29 PM »
I do like Dawns Site for the parrots, It got great advice on it, which was very informative when my dad's cockatoo, freddy boy was ill. It's well layed out so it might be an idea to take a design like it. She has great pics of her rescue cats here on this site http://public.fotki.com/DiddyDawn/my_babies/ which would look good in the same sort of format as the Parrot page.
 It obviously up to Dawn, Teresa and Lesley if they would like one and what they would like but the offer of hosting it on our site is gladlly offered for all.  :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 14:08:12 PM »
I'll draw my Green team-mate Teresa's attention to this excellent idea and Tan's and Kelly's kind offers.

Having pictures online of the facilities and good work done by rescues serves to verify and promote them simultaneously  :Luv:

He he way ahead of you Blip ;)

The other night OH and I were wondering if T wanted a website of her own and this this thread came along. So after getting T's agreement, last night I purchased a domain for Paws Inn which I will build with OH and we will kindly ask Tan if we can host www.pawsinncats.com on her server.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 13:55:44 PM »
I am sure it would not take much to alter diddy dawns site  http://www.wfnuk.f2s.com  maybe change the parrots picture to cats,
just a thought.

Very good idea Roger  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 14:12:17 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

fuzziesdad

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 13:46:59 PM »
 ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 13:45:44 PM »
I'll draw my Green team-mate Teresa's attention to this excellent idea and Tan's and Kelly's kind offers.

Having pictures online of the facilities and good work done by rescues serves to verify and promote them simultaneously  :Luv:

fuzziesdad

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 13:42:24 PM »
I am sure it would not take much to alter diddy dawns site  http://www.wfnuk.f2s.com  maybe change the parrots picture to cats,
just a thought.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 22:17:52 PM »
My OH built the cat77 web site - he reckons it'd take about an hour to build a web page if he was given photos, colour schemes, info for page etc - I'm sure he'd be happy to help if any rescues without a page wanted to pm me?
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 22:05:41 PM »
What a good suggestion Mild Thing - our website gets more hits than our CC rehoming page, so maybe it would be a good thing for the smaller ones. And you can include more info on them than on a rehoming page too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 21:23:25 PM »
Mild Thing your suggestion of a websites for the smaller charities is a great idea.

I totally understand your concerns with regards to donating to "unknown causes" but as Tan has said all the rescues we support are know to us and are very deserving of the assistance.  Hopefully as you spend time on the forum and get to know us all you will also get to know these rescues.

All the best

Sam xx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 20:54:56 PM »
Nick i think thats a fantastic idea and if any has the time and the knowledge to create a few web pages for the rescues that don't have one, we can host some on our web space at no cost.

I know Paws Inn, Cat rescue Flintshire and eight lives left rescue don't have their own web sites but use CatChats re homing pages instead.
My hubby does do web design so we knows how to create the pages but its a time problem for us. If anyone is willing and if Teresa and Dawn  & Lesley would like their own web pages, we would be certainly very happy to host a few pages for them.

Ron - Lost cats Brighton already has a web site here http://www.lostcatsbrighton.org.uk/index2.html

Cat77 shaw branch site is here http://www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Coventry Cat group Site http://www.ccg.triadian.streamlinetrial.co.uk/main.php

9 Lives site here http://www.9lives.org.uk/

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 20:57:08 PM by Tan »

Offline Mild Thing

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 20:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance re. the legitimacy of the good causes supported by the site. As I said, I am sure that all current beneficiaries are bona fide and please don't see me as a newly arrived cynic.

Perhaps I can strike a more positive note. It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Why don't we all help to create mini on-line profiles of those sanctuaries that don't have the resources (or the time) to do this for themselves? Many of us have digital cameras - with a few images we can capture the great work that is being done.   

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 15:46:55 PM »
Hi Roger

Yes  agree very valid points. It takes alot of work behind the scenes doing the fundraisng projects ie months of design work goes into the calendar and will again for this year diaries and other projects in progress. The cat show and auction set up and running take alot of time too. We love doing this for the sole reason that we have found a way to help the needy cats via the rescues.   :)

I would love as admin to, as you say, visit each rescue personally to check them but i don't drive unfortunately and getting round the UK on a push bike wouldn't be easy :-:  nor could i have the time to do this as, i also need to earn a living from my Accountancy business. However, as Gill has said, we have known most of the rescues and the people that run them for years from the catchat forum and re-homing pages they have on the Catchat site. We also know trustworthy members for years (from here and cat chat) that have had cats from them and visited the rescues to see the work they do. Any new rescues that join us are very welcome and we do check them out before considering them into any poll for fundraising. 

It is a very difficult to choose a rescue for each fundraiser as they are all so very deserving and do stirling work caring for the cats. I wish that all of them can benefit from one fundraiser but spreading one amount between them all would mean a very small amount to each which will not help them much.  This is our 2nd time of trying to find a fair system to choose each rescue and each time, we gain a little more experience . This time we decided to let our foster members nominate their rescue branch as well as also having the independent non charity rescues in the vote.  These branches do have a small help from the head office of the rescue but mainly need to fundraise themselves to pay for the branch cat care costs. I also wanted to encourage good support for all the rescues so that staff and others involved in the rescues who less well known by Purrs members and not big posters get a fair vote. For instance if one of 9 lives branch staff wanted to support the branch but not a member of Purrs, we would welcome they join and help support their rescue.

We do welcome comments on how we can make the choosing of the rescue for each fundraiser and thank you for you suggestion of only allowing members with a certain amount of posts on Purrs to vote. This will certainly be taken into consideration as would any other suggestions for the next poll.  :)

Tan
x
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 18:33:09 PM by Tan »

fuzziesdad

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 14:46:05 PM »
mild thing said.
I applaud Ron's generous view that the benefits of fundraising should be spread amongst deserving causes. I visited Ron's sanctuary a few weeks ago and was enormously impressed with the great work that he does and the facilities that he provides to cats in troubled circumstances. Having also seen the types of cost that his activity incurs, I can also see how valuable these donations are.

Please forgive the ignorance of a recently joined member, but this whole issue prompts a question: when these future beneficiaries are to be chosen, how does one know that they are really in need of the funding and that the money donated will be faithfully applied? I imagine that not all, maybe none, of the sanctuaries will be registered charities. Are all the potential beneficiaries known to site members or does the site have a system to ensure that recipients are all that they say they are? I'm sure that everyone involved with the Purrs site is genuine, but as we all know, the web is sadly open to abuse.

firstly welcome to purrs mild thing,something I have always thought rather daft donating to someone who you don't know and have not seen working in whatever they might be getting the donation for but I am sure the admin on this forum have checked out all those who we have been voting for and done an actual check and seen them in there work place.
The other thing that has occurred to me is that those voting should at least have had some (maybe20,50) posts on the forum before being allowed to vote as they will not have contributed to the forum in any way other than to vote in an important poll.
 I am sure there are many forums that have plenty of members lists with members with only one post, but the idea of a forum is a meeting place to exchange views which you can hardly do if you are not here, an idea that could maybe taken on board for the next poll. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 17:39:19 PM »
What a wonderfully generous post Ron, I hope Tan and Gill can think of enough fundraisers so that everyone who was in the poll this time can get a bit of help.
Mild Thing - as Gill has pointed out, all the rescues are known on here - some definitely are registered charities, I know we are, and Ron was applying when I spoke to him before X Mas, but whether you are or not, funding is still important. Things like this just make it a bit easier, as we dont have to stand on cold market stalls etc for very little.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 17:30:58 PM »
Yes you are right there are always worries on the internet but yes the beneficaries are known to us and we would never give money to any that we were not sure about  ;D

I think if you had the time and patience of a saint to plough through all the posts on here, and if it were possible the previous site Cat Chat, you would soon get a feel for the people and work that is done. Although this site is quite new, Cat Chat had been running for many years.   ;D ;D

Offline Mild Thing

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 17:10:57 PM »
I applaud Ron's generous view that the benefits of fundraising should be spread amongst deserving causes. I visited Ron's sanctuary a few weeks ago and was enormously impressed with the great work that he does and the facilities that he provides to cats in troubled circumstances. Having also seen the types of cost that his activity incurs, I can also see how valuable these donations are.

Please forgive the ignorance of a recently joined member, but this whole issue prompts a question: when these future beneficiaries are to be chosen, how does one know that they are really in need of the funding and that the money donated will be faithfully applied? I imagine that not all, maybe none, of the sanctuaries will be registered charities. Are all the potential beneficiaries known to site members or does the site have a system to ensure that recipients are all that they say they are? I'm sure that everyone involved with the Purrs site is genuine, but as we all know, the web is sadly open to abuse.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 16:47:42 PM »
Hi Ron

Thanks for such a generous post  ;D

You are right everyone is struggling and we hope that our bits of money can ease the strain for a short while.

As Tan said we are finding it very hard to find a way of selecting who to help each time and if you have any ideas, we would love to hear from you.

Anyone with ideas can post, or PM or email me or Tan.

Gill  ;D

Link to CatChat