Author Topic: Hello everyone!!!  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Hello everyone!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 21:36:39 PM »
:welcome: to Purrs, Amber: glad you found us and decided to join in  ;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 18:53:59 PM »
Oh he would never hurt any animal!  He knows how much I love my pets, and I've been with him 12 years, and I know he'd never intentionally hurt any animal.  He just thinks cats are selfish snotty creatures that always get what they want!

hes just jealous  ;)

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 16:19:25 PM »
Yes they do!    :sneaky:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 16:13:48 PM »

He is, of course, right.  But they still have a way of sneaking into your house and your heart like thieves in the night.  :)

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 15:54:53 PM »
Oh he would never hurt any animal!  He knows how much I love my pets, and I've been with him 12 years, and I know he'd never intentionally hurt any animal.  He just thinks cats are selfish snotty creatures that always get what they want!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 14:34:32 PM »

Thankfully my OH is fond of all animals, but he does feel that I over-indulge me old boy.  I tell him it'll be his turn one day.....  :evillaugh:  (He doesn't know that I know how he chunters away to Paddy when he's trying to tempt him to eat something new, and I witnessed first hand the cracking bruise me OH got when he tried to go to Paddy's aid recently, but slipped on something wet in the kitchen and went his length in his haste to get to the old codger.  :Luv:)

My Father always swore he disliked cats, but I recall when I was little and we were looking after a neighbour's cat for a week while they were on holiday - I caught him playing with a little rolled up newspaper ball which he was flicking for the cat to chase and play with.  Dad had a broad grin on his face and the cat was dashing to and fro retrieving the ball and taking it back to him to throw again.

Of course, lots of people don't like cats, until cats persuade them otherwise.  ;)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 14:25:23 PM »
I would never live or even go out with anyone who doesn''t like cats .

How do you know they won''t hurt them either when you are not there ?

I think myself very lucky that i prefer my own company and that of my cats and its just us together forever .
I have lived on my own for over 20 years now and love it .

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 14:20:20 PM »
Do you know how awful it is when your partner doesn't like cats, and you love them?!!!  He does my head in!  How can you not like kitties???!!!   :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 14:09:57 PM »

I threaten my OH with a bed under the patio.  :evillaugh: 

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 14:05:05 PM »
Ha ha, I'll do my best with grumpy!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »

Tell you what Amber, pop Martyn in the gazebo and you and the cat share the house.  ;) 

That sounds like a really good compromise, if you can make Martyn see the sense of it.  :hug:  (your idea, I mean, not mine  :evillaugh:)

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
Thanks.  We have a solid gazebo type building with an open front and decking on the floor, the cat flap leads out on to this decking, our french doors also open onto it.  I'm thinking that maybe Martin could mesh round the open bit to enclose it, but I'd have to speak to Martin 1st about it, and knowing him, he'd moan!  I was thinking it would be good because if we want the doors and windows open on a nice day, I could put my boy outside and lock the cat flap and know he'd be safe!  I like this idea, just gotta try and talk Martin round!  Failing that, I think my boy's just gonna have to have a run somewhere.  What's a good size for a run for 1 cat?  He'd be with me indoors mostly though!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:23 AM »

A run could be quite a good compromise Amber.  It would be very safe and your pud can still enjoy the outdoors.

Alternatively, maybe you could sound your landlord out on some of the different types of catproofing kits available - many can be taken down and don't have to be permanent fixtures.  I've a friend who had two of these cat proof fences - one in her first house which she rented, and the second where she is now, which is a house she owns.   They comprised a series of posts, leaning inward towards the garden, with netting/mesh across.  She planted honeysuckle and clematis, which also used the posts for support and served a dual purpose of screening the view.  Not strong enough to be used for the cats to run up so they worked very well.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 19:44:09 PM »
I also do not think this invisible fence is the right way to go .
Also litter trays do not smell if scooped out regularly - i have 4 litter trays and you certainly cannot smell them -use a good quality cat litter , a good tray and scoop as soon as they have used it.

What about the screens / A big cat run ?

If you haven''t even ask the landlord and explained things to him - how do you know he will say no !?

Also cat proof fencing doesn''t look unsightly either .

My concern would always be the welfare of my cat and it getting electric shocks its certainly not in its interests at all .

If your partner is objecting about all this stuff - maybe you should reconsider things - a person who genuinely loves cats wants what is best for them - if he wants a pretty garden - maybe he doesn''t really want a cat ?

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 13:28:55 PM »
I just remember the wonderful smell of cat poo 1st thing in the morning when I had my rescue boy!   :sick:  I did keep the litter tray very clean, but when they did it over night, the whole downstairs did smell!  Yeah I suppose you're right about the flies outside! 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 13:24:19 PM »
just on the litter tray, I actually think it would be more unhygenic outside (flies and maggots etc) if you scoop it daily really shouldn't smell

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 13:21:30 PM »
Hi, our back garden is 14 by 17 meters, and then there's a narrower bit of garden, about 8 meters, leading round to our front garden, which is 14 by 20 meters.  So the whole garden is joined all the way round the house.  My partner hates the look of those cat proofing fences, so there's not even any point in asking the landlord coz he's said no way!  I'm pretty sure the landlord would say no as well though!  I'm still having a good think.  I was so set on this fence idea coz it sounded great!  Is there anyone on here who uses one of these fences???   :scared:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 13:23:30 PM by *Amber* »

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
Another possible issue is that unless your garden is enormous, both wide and long, then a cat is inevitably going to spend a lot of time very close to the boundaries (I was just watching my own cats outside and thinking about your dilemma; my garden is the  'typical' long and relatively narrow shape, so the cats are never very far from the boundary).  It's not like having a vast plot of land which gives an animal freedom to race around without being in danger of getting too close to the electric fence - I'd fully expect my cats to become wary of the garden as a whole if they encountered electric shocks in such close proximity.  And with regard to the 'cruelty' issue, it either hurts or it doesn't.  If it doesn't hurt the animal sufficiently, it doesn't work.  If it does, then I deem administering electric shocks to your pet an act of cruelty (hoping that 'they'll learn' to avoid the pain, but still be able to have a relaxed and fun time in the garden, is asking rather a lot of a cat).

Have you discussed the temporary addition of cat-proof fencing with your landlord?  My understanding is that removable brackets and wire would leave nothing but screw holes behind if you ever moved away - and surely you're allowed to fix trellis or suchlike to fences with screws?  Landlords may have a blanket 'no' reaction to everything, but if you can explain in detail what you wish to do, and how you would minimise/compensate for any impact on permanent structures, you may find them more receptive.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
I'm sorry, but I've been very diplomatic. They are cruel, and they are painful. Like I said, the manufacturers say it's a static shock, because I don't think anyone would buy them if they worded it as "electric shock" which is what it is. They have been banned in Wales and there is a movement for them to be banned in the rest of the UK. The RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Kennel Club are all fully wanting them to be banned. The kennel club even refers to them as being 'barbaric'. I agree.

Amber, you say you want your cat to go out and enjoy the garden and sun. What could happen is because of the pain your cat will receive he will associate the garden with negative things  ie pain. He might not want to go out in the garden and could become fearful of it.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/actionline/Fall-2007/good_intentions.php

"Yet as sales have risen, so has the outcry about the adverse effect of shock devices. Several countries have banned or severely restricted shock collars, including Denmark, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and Wales. A bill to prohibit them is currently pending in England.[4] When they were being considered for a ban in Wales, which became effective last December, Environment Minister Carwyn Jones pronounced them “totally barbaric.”[5]

Scientific research has cited the harmful effects of shock collars. A July 2005 report by Esther Schalke, of the University of Veterinary Medicine at Hannover, Germany, found elevated heart rates and levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, in the saliva of 14 beagles

trained with electronic collars. Schalke’s report concluded, "The general use of electric shock collars is not consistent with animal welfare"

I have an indoor cat and of course a litter tray indoors and it's not a problem. It doesn't smell. Ok, so immediately after he's had a poo -once a day- but other than that the tray never ever smells.

I know, I'm probably sounding horrible right about now. But I honestly just have the best interest of your future cat in mind.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »
Ok, so there are quite a few who don't like the invisible fence!  I would like to see my new cat sunbathing out in the garden, and I also thought that if he had access to the garden, I could put his big hooded litter tray out under a covered decked part of our garden which is just outside of the cat flap, (we still have the cat flap through our wall from our last cat!)  I thought that it would be more hygienic and less smelly to have the litter tray outside of the house!  Obviously when he's a kitten, it will be indoors!  I really can't see the fence being that bad, it's not really painful is it.  I've had shocks off things, it happens to me a lot for some reason, but it makes me jump more than hurt!  The cat is going to learn very fast not to go near it, so I don't really see that it's cruel or anything! 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:57:43 AM by *Amber* »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 00:06:36 AM »
I personally don''t like the thought of that type of fencing either .

You can get window and door screens made of mesh which just fit over your normal doors and windows and they let fresh air in and the cats cannot get out .
Rather have that than use that type of fencing which could hurt my cats.

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 23:22:39 PM »
Thank you very much Yvonne!   :)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 22:23:43 PM »
Hello Amber and a warm   :welcome:  from me too

Pleased to have you on board
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
Hi, thanks for your thoughts.  I was thinking of having the invisible fence go around my garden just in front of my 6 foot fence, so there would already be a boundary there, which I thought might help.  I keep umming and arring over what I can do!  Maybe I should have him just as an indoor cat, but my partner Martin was moaning that he wanted the doors and windows open in the Summer, which I do too!  I haven't decided what to do yet!

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »
Hi Amber :welcome:

For what it's worth (about tuppence), I completely agree with Den.  I think if I were in a similar position, even aside from my opinions on the 'fences' themselves, I simply wouldn't be confident that a cat would not cross the barrier in any circumstances.  I've seen my own cats in pursuit of butterflies, birds and other cats - they focus completely on the thing they are chasing and crash over/through anything in their way (as my vegetable beds and collection of broken pots will testify).  Similarly if something is chasing them.  Without an actual physical barrier between them and what I considered to be an unacceptable danger in the wider environment (e.g. busy road), I think I'd end up feeling the need to constantly watch their every move in the garden - which would rather defeat the object.

If, in those circumstances, I were unable to add (removable) cat-proofing to the existing fences, or to construct a (removable) cat run in the garden, then I would accept that my home was not currently suitable for an outdoor cat.

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 21:39:08 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum!!!

Emma :)

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 19:02:52 PM »
I know some people aren't gonna agree with the fence, but if it means that my kitty lives, then I'm afraid I feel it's worth the couple of days or so it takes to learn not to go out of the garden!  I'm very lucky that we've been here 10 years, and I had all my animals when the last landlord was still in charge!  Now the houses are privately rented, and they are charging new people who move in 100 pounds extra if they have a dog!!!  As we were already here, we weren't charged luckily!  I understand the shock will be uncomfortable, but it's very quick, and I'm sure they learn fast not to do it again! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 15:35:30 PM »

I know, it's awkward, isn't it?

I feel for the likes of Amber though whose landlords aren't keen on alterations to their property  (although I fully respect their rights to say no)   It's such a worry trying to keep your pets safe.  Thinking back, am not surprised we lost two cats where we used to live - we were very close to the metro lines and there was a busy main road at the end of the street.  Although Paddy, bless him, has managed to remain a very sensible cat well into his codger-hood.  Would that all cats were like that.  It does worry me when I think about if we get another cat when the old boy eventually passes on.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 15:28:22 PM »
My doggie hurts me too, so do my clothes.

I was looking for something and came across this, it's a good little read http://www.buzzle.com/articles/invisible-fences-unnecessary-evil.html Just replace the word dog with cat. I think when writing these things they forget that invisible fences aren't marketed as being just for dogs. It's the same for our fuzzy felines too.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 13:58:30 PM »

I get shocks from our dog, from the door handles at work and from a piece of carpet near one of the lifts.   :scared: 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 13:38:45 PM »
I get static shocks off a lot of things Den and it certainly stops me doing things!!

I just really dislike using pain as a way to get an animal to not do things. 

I agree hence my ugly garden lol! wait till you get that car, if your like me touching it will always be interesting!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
I get static shocks off a lot of things Den and it certainly stops me doing things!!

I do too and it always hurts. M&S escalators are a nightmare for me. The collars have different settings so it's not just one level of shock. I just really dislike using pain as a way to get an animal to not do things. They are actually banned in Wales and there is a movement to get them banned here as well.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
Thank you!  I'm determined to keep my boy safe and close by!  I'm not allowed to alter things on the house or garden, the landlords are quite snotty!  I thought the invisible fence would be good coz they wouldn't notice it!   :sneaky:

Ahhh, it's just you sound like you have a really great Landlord. Most won't even let animals let alone all the wonderful creatures you have  :wow: :wow:

Do you know how the invisible fence works?

A wire goes around the perimeter. You attach a collar to your cat which has a little box on it. If the cat gets too close to the wire the box will beep. If the cat tries to cross the wire the box will deliver an electric shock to the cats neck. I know the manufacturers say it's a static shock .. but it's not, otherwise it wouldn't work. They hurt. There are a number of videos on youtube with people testing out their pets invisible fences, and they are in pain. You have to understand that a) it only works if the cat is wearing the collar and if the batteries are working b) there is nothing physically preventing your cat from getting out of the garden. Some cats WILL jump straight through whilst chasing a bird/fly/butterfly etc despite being shocked.

I know it sounds like I'm rabbiting on, it's just I really don't like them.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
:welcome:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »
Thank you!  I'm determined to keep my boy safe and close by!  I'm not allowed to alter things on the house or garden, the landlords are quite snotty!  I thought the invisible fence would be good coz they wouldn't notice it!   :sneaky:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
Hello Amber.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:

Am so sorry to learn of the loss of your previous cats, and having lost two myself can understand how reluctant you were to go through anything of the like again.   :hug:  Am hoping that when you get your new addition, it will be safe and sound for a very very long time. 

Sounds like you have quite a houseful.   ;) :)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 19:44:52 PM »
I think the cat proof brackets just screw on the fence posts and can come right off. Would that be a big no, no?

Offline *Amber*

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 17:54:40 PM »
Thanks, the thing is, we live in a rented house, so can't do anything that will change the fences.  I have considered having just an indoor kitty, but it would be so hard to keep all the doors and windows shut etc!  I'd like him to go out into the garden!  If I'm out, I could lock him in, but I only know of 2 oldie cats in our area, and I've never seen them in our garden before.  We have a 6 foot fence all the way round.  I don't really see other cats being a problem!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 17:01:42 PM »
Hi Amber, welcome to Purrs  :hug: :hug: I'm so sorry to hear about your other cats  :(

May I too recommend catproofing (I have myself have an indoor kitty but would catproof if I could). I mean this is the nicest possible way, honest  :hug: could you reconsider getting an invisible fence. I will admit that I hate them. I know some people swear by them and they make them sound like the best thing ever .. but they aren't. It won't stop animals getting in the garden, people getting in and stealing or even cats getting out. A determined cat will run straight through despite the pain. A proper fence with catproofing is a much better solution

Link to CatChat