Author Topic: Can't believe what i just saw on Preloved.  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
Re: Can't believe what i just saw on Preloved.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 19:08:33 PM »
You do get a lot of conartists on those type of sites.  They give a few paragraphs of the breed of cat and the photo looks like something out of a magazine.  Whenever I see Bengal cross for £200, it makes me cringe.  Any tabby could be passed off as a bengal cross, the buyer may well not be aware, the seller is rubbing their hands together, thinking how they have just made an easy few bucks.

You also get ads, where people say 'purebred' blah blah blah but when you email them, they are in ireland or isle of man and they want you to just pay the £300 shipping costs, upfront.......................

Offline WalksWithCats

• Kitten
  • senior cats are pawsome
    • the residential autist
  • Slave to: biscuit, goldie [RIP], boomer, princess
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 18:52:12 PM »
hi,am aware this thread is old and dont want to 'necropost' or whatever they call it on forums these days but woud just like to say own experience of preloved for buying kitties.

some years ago,had been searching far and wide for a cat-any cat,there was no criteria to choosing was willing to take on elderly,disabled or the behavioraly challenged because most of our cats have been that way,am a long time service user of residential centres and have severe autism and intelectual disability.

unfortunately the living circumstances for any kitty is unique;we are not allowed to have cats indoors in the residential centre because of certain individuals who woud harm them to direct attention onto them.
the place that kitty woud be living is our farm of sorts which is for people with ASDs but it isnt a farm in that its a fully habited residential place with some farm style features designed to educate and help develop the skills of its service users in animal care and vegetable growing.
the cat woud have their own bungalow and people constantly around them day and night; they can choose to go into the main house and be pampered or go to their own bungalow and chill out-their bungalow had different types of cat beds and cat trees around the entire wall and had also managed to get a wireless  IP camera setup to spy on kitty. :sneaky:

all the sanctuaries support staff had tried,whilst well meaning they did not even get past the word farm they assumed it was a working industrial farm where attention,care and warmth woud be limited,they said to find somewhere that rehomed mousers-but because of the level of autism am completely detatched from humans and only connect with animals such as cats,had wanted one idealy to be a friend.
no one was willing to come and do a visit to see what we were trying to say.

so had ended up constantly checking out preloved every day several times a day,waiting for the new ads to become old ads so did not need to pay the subscription thing for it.
staff woud phone many people up only to be told the cat had been sold.
eventualy luck had came via preloved in the form of a two year old tortie and white upper class moggie called lottie.
her mum and dad were moving out of country and coud not put lottie through the stress of traveling but they were very concerned about her and asked if they coud be updated on her life through email-which had done-regulary sending them photos,videos,news on any tom friends she had made and how often she got out.
lottie was an amazing kitty,never bit or swiped anyone,she actualy made highly phobic or challenging profoundly autistic kids and adults become calm around her and develop a love for her and other animals, she also cured several support staff of cat phobias because they had been bitten when they were kids and took a grudge out on cats for the rest of their lives. :P a while ago some idiots were speeding on a road near a motorway and crashed and all the traffic got diverted down the road our place was on.
several weeks earlier,our nearest neighbour had started taking in and feeding lottie,despite the fact she knew where she came from and thanks to the felines love of routine and habit; lottie woud head there everytime without fail after being fed at ours.
some loser who had been detoured was speeding down the road at motorway speeds and lottie-who was heading over to the neighbours house somehow nearly got over ok;the wheel clipped her head which took her away instantly.

but...prior to finding lottie,many of the preloved ads were very dodgy,for example advertising a six year old norweigan forest cat [not gccf/tica registered]; dude needed glasses as it was not even a diluted wegie in the photo,however regardless of what cat it was; was not bothered as long as it was a cat- so staff phone them up to enquire about her and they were told straight away she was sold but there may be some more cats available and to give a ring back later when some bloke was going to be in.
staff did so,but the cats he was selling or allegedly selling were all papered and well out of the money range that had.
thinking back the way the caller had passed us onto some other bloke it did seem dodgy.

had come across so many adverts where the pictures of the cat were nothing like the breed the owner was stating,have got favourites but am personaly not bothered what breed the cat is when looking for a cat;but it has to be said; if the owner is writing something very different to the photo-shoud this be acting as buyer beware,possibly a false ad?
the one thing am glad about with preloved besides having got lottie off there is the fact it isnt full of cats being given away for free in comparison to the american craigslist for example,that is just another way of saying 'hey chavs,feeling out of the game lately? come get some pitbull bait'.
/sorry for huge post.
owned by pampered cats and ten spoilt hand reared maran,light sussex and blue cochin chickens-plus a seven year old granny ex bat hen to keep them in check!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 19:12:36 PM »
This thread is over a year old

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 19:09:08 PM »
I would report them to the RSPCA, if I knew they'd actually do something about it  >:(

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 18:43:29 PM »
There is one for sale on pets4homes at the moment which has been discussed on cat chat.

She is 8 mths old and pregnant, they wanted £275 when they first advertised her now the price is £220 ono.

You really want to buy them to take them away for a potentially nasty situation, but, doing that I guess only encourages them to do it again for money.

Somebody off cat chat had contacted them with the offer of a rescue but I think they were turned down.

It really is awful what people are willing to do.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 18:28:33 PM »
you should never pay for animals on these sites.

Most rescues are probably aware of whats going on. We keep an eye on coventry and birmingham.

Most rescues will be too busy to thank you for putting more pressure on them but if its an emergency situation then its a different matter (like the 4 x 4day old kittens I fetched from birmingham last year or heavily pregnant cat).

Thanks for your answer.  I was just thinking about the pregnant cat like in this thread.  Although I suppose the breeder would probably do it all over again.

she probably has some young kittens ready to breed and is offloading an older queen.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 18:01:53 PM »

Most rescues are probably aware of whats going on. We keep an eye on coventry and birmingham.

Most rescues will be too busy to thank you for putting more pressure on them but if its an emergency situation then its a different matter (like the 4 x 4day old kittens I fetched from birmingham last year or heavily pregnant cat).

Thanks for your answer.  I was just thinking about the pregnant cat like in this thread.  Although I suppose the breeder would probably do it all over again.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 17:08:02 PM »

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 16:54:33 PM »
I'm not a Rescuer but just saw this old thread.  Is it a good idea to rescue cats from these websites if you can afford it?  Would rescues take them in usually? 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 18:48:42 PM »
Anyone know what happened about this ??

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
can we have a collection  :sneaky:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 19:37:42 PM »
Some people call moggies BSH as they dont understand the difference, you could contact all the breed rescues instead, you know what you are getting then  ;D

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 22:01:11 PM »
I have now found the same cats on Gumtree. The female is being offered with a kitten and the male is being offered as a swap for a large dog.  :shify:  So i am inclined to think it may be a scam. I have however replied to one of her ads asking for photo's so will see if she gets back to me.
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 21:05:12 PM »
is it worth making contact....sometime you can talk this people round to handing over the cats

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
Can't believe what i just saw on Preloved.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 18:37:08 PM »
I was just looking through Preloved for a freind who does not have the internet and would dearly love a Persian or Exotic. She suffers axiaty and panic attacks and her cats is all she has.

I came across a pregnant British short hair unregistered and no papers for a mear £150
And an entire male british short hair from the same seller for £100 also unregistered and no papers and most likely sired the females impending litter.  :censored:
I so wish i had £250 to rescue these poor little cats before they fall in to the wrong hands :(
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Link to CatChat