Author Topic: Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom! Has a forever home  (Read 37320 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom! Has a forever home
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »
Have only just caught up on this thread again.  :-[

Am so very happy Asbo/Andy has scored a touch-down in the rehoming game!!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Long may be continue to put his feet up and enjoy the benefits of being 'owned'.  :evillaugh:

In the rehoming centre debate.... bring one down here please! We'll have one!!  :wish: Currently we have Trix, (ready and available for rehoming for over two months but not even viewed once) and Annie (in our care since Christmas but no one wants to see her) plus Louis and Pepper (two young, fit and friendly puds that again no one has asked to see and they've been with us for 6 weeks.) How many cats could we have helped in the time these puddies have blocked our fosterers??  :(

I will gladly put them in my car NOW and take them there they'll be rehomed within a week in an environment like that!  :tired: I think you'll find the local branches only objection is going to be based on money issues rather than on care standards or what's best for the cat.  :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »
What's the norm procedure in rescues with cats coming in Strays that are used to being outside alot (but not feral)  to keep them inside?  Do you norm spend alot of time (if you have it) with them to entertain to stop boredom? Can rescue strays become a little aggressive ie start attacking legs etc if held for long and if so what is norm done?

Only just caught up with this thread again.

I have found  that cats who come in that appear to have been long term strays, settle in very well in fact many seem to sleep and rest a lot for the first few days, they also almost fall on food for a while as if it were there last meal. Of course they need to be fed little and often as otherwise there can be a few problems as they are not used to good regular meals. When homed  these type of cats often seem very loath to venture out at all. I personally have never known a cat become more aggressive once in care, in fact quite the opposite.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: March 21, 2010, 18:57:02 PM »
I guess they will be made to participate in giving cats? I think the way the money is being dealt with will let it down, the homing side should flow well but they really need the branches onside, stripping much needed funds wont do that  :(

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #328 on: March 21, 2010, 15:55:23 PM »
Thats brilliant news

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2010, 13:30:54 PM »
I would expect that the branches will be torn between freeing up places and income to help new cats and if they let their most homeable go to the centre, they will just end up bankrupting themselves.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom! Has a forever home
« Reply #326 on: March 21, 2010, 13:20:34 PM »
Great news  ;D

The rehoming centre looks nice to me, clean, warm, single occupancy pens, hopefully the turn around will be quick. Thinking about it the branches must still have some say over what cats they send, meaning those of feral background or very timid could stay put?
Diversion of public donations would be the biggest downfall i can see, people automatically give to the first place they see

Yes the branches will only send the fit, menatlly healthy and ready to rehome cats to the center. 

The sad thing is that the branches are now going to loose out on any adoption fee over £45 as the center will only pay the branch who does all the main work, vet fees, fostering, feeding etc max £45 for each adoption.  They used to get mostly £50 per adoption straight to the branch and many times higher than that but no longer if the cats are rehomed through the center.  The branches are worried about this when the centre opens very soon.

with CPL branches here  how would that effect you?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 13:23:42 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom! Has a forever home
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2010, 13:14:35 PM »
well Joy was really pleased with the family that has adopted Andy  ;D

They are an older single parent family with a 7 yr old Daughter and have already said he is settling well and a right love giver and loves cuddles  ;D

Hopefully she will hear how he is getting on  :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 13:15:22 PM by Tan »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: In Foster - Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom!
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
Really pleased to hear this
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »
So pleased that Asbo has a home to go to.........everyone I have told about Asbo just loved that name  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2010, 20:05:12 PM »
Had a message left last night from Joy and Andy has a forever home  ;D

She is ringing later with more info.

I know she can't give me any details to who hw has gone to but i know Joy will have picked a great home for him :)

:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Oh Tan, you should read this thread back. All that stressing over not catching him and where he was going to go ... Next time have more faith in yourself, you did an amazing thing for Asbo.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2010, 20:00:12 PM »
there is a strong perception that you have to jump through hoops to adopt a rescue cat a

I have heard that before but can never understand why. Unless people see a couple of phone calls and a homecheck as jumping through hoops. I would think any true animal lover would appreciate the reasons it is done. Maybe MSE types don't like the idea of parting with a donation  :evillaugh:

Maybe so!! :evillaugh:

I think there are a few issues, certainly some people don't like what they deem the 'intrusion' of the homecheck, but there is little that can be done about that as the homecheck is essential. There do seem to be an awful lot of potential adopters reporting negative experiences with one or more rescue, depending how negative the first contact this can be the only attempt they ever make at adopting from a rescue! Some branches will not home where there are young children, some will not home to either a busy street or contemplate an indoor only environment, or to anyone working full time. All told that is an awful lot of potential adopters being turned away ...

Speaking for myself, I contacted three rescues when looking for Noah - Adel CP, RSPCA and another local one. I was very clear in my e-mail what sort of home I could offer and what I was looking for - stable environment as homeowner, no children, work part time, previous experience of rescue cats, happy to take an adult with a health condition as would have to be indoor only. RSPCA came back to me first and were really VERY rude basically saying they didn't approve of indoor homes: it honestly was enough to make me doubt that I had a suitable environment for a cat, that perhaps I was being selfish.  :(

Luckily there are fabby places like Purrs  :hug: where we can send those jaded MSE folks and be sure that the regulars will bend over backwards to match the right cat to the right home, even if that means referring to other rescues or going outside the area.

:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2010, 19:16:59 PM »
Great news  ;D

The rehoming centre looks nice to me, clean, warm, single occupancy pens, hopefully the turn around will be quick. Thinking about it the branches must still have some say over what cats they send, meaning those of feral background or very timid could stay put?
Diversion of public donations would be the biggest downfall i can see, people automatically give to the first place they see

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2010, 14:25:52 PM »
that's fantastic

and it took no time to get him off the streets, where he was living a wretched life as an unwanted and unwelcome complete male, to turning him into a lovely and loving furr babe, who hopefully is now  going to spend the rest of his days in a warm home with good food and dedicated slaves

well done Tan and Joy
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2010, 13:35:36 PM »
Fantastic news!!!   :cheer:    :dance: Hope he loves his new home and has many happy years!  :hug:  Well done Tan for rescuing him in the first place!!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2010, 13:25:53 PM »
Wonderful news.  Perhaps his new owners will contact you themselves, Tan.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2010, 13:24:21 PM »
Great news!!

have a long happy life with your new slaves!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 13:26:26 PM by angel-77 »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2010, 13:22:07 PM »
Great news  :) - I'm sure she has made sure he is going somewhere nice  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2010, 13:21:49 PM »
 :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Excellent news! Maybe Joy could tell the new owners about the crazy cat lady Queen of Purrs that helped save him and the web address  ;D

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2010, 13:21:35 PM »
Brilliant news  :)

Well done Andy, I wish you a very happy and spoilt forever  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2010, 13:13:43 PM »
Had a message left last night from Joy and Andy has a forever home  ;D

She is ringing later with more info.

I know she can't give me any details to who hw has gone to but i know Joy will have picked a great home for him :)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
 :Luv: Awww, he looks a right fuss puss, hope he soon gets that forever home he deserves xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
He is gorgeous! I hope he gets a Loving forever home soon :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
What a handsome boy he is! :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »
Awww bless him  :Luv: :Luv: hope he finds his forever home soon.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2010, 06:21:59 AM »
So pleased Andy aka Asbo is doing so well and everything crossed he gets his furrever home VERY soon!  :Luv2:  :Luv2: My Charlie (semi feral) wants to be out all the time now the horrible weather's gone-think the novelty of being indoors has worn off now!   :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2010, 00:23:29 AM »
I just read the description of him on the 'newsflash' and can't believe it's talking about the same cat - what a change!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2010, 23:05:32 PM »
Love him and hope he gets a home very soon where he can go outside safely  :Luv2:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2010, 23:00:39 PM »
Well well well
Andy aka Asbo is such a sweetie  ;D ;D

The change in him is remarkable.  :Luv: :Luv:
He was head butting me and rolling over loving his tum stoked he really is a gorgeous looking lad and soo friendly.

He is a little nervious of noises but he is going to make one slave of a new family. He is a liitle restless and does want to go outside so i hope he has his forever home soon.

He is ready to rehome now and Joy is hoping to find a family with older chidren where he can get the fussing he craves.  He seems fine with other cats.

Ya know if only my two would except another babe i would love to have him.  Such a cuddle bum.  :Luv: :Luv:

So peeps if you are in the Bournmeouth CP area (they cover quite a bit for Dorset and some Hampshire) and you would love a wonderful loving cat , Male healthy about 3 to 4 years old. Then Andy is for you  ;D
Please contact with me (tan) through my profile pm or email Purrs@purrsinourhearts.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 23:20:08 PM by Tan »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
I remember one at blue cross that became a bit of a handful, he had been a stray in London for ages - we used to spend extra time with him playing with fishing rod toys because he was a biter!!  he did get rehomed in the end, it took a few months be he found a home - apparently he still sucked clothes but stopped biting

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
Going over to see Andy tonight :)

It seems he is getting quite restless so Joy has tried to give him a bit more space. He did an escape last week and Joy got him back. Phew
She says he really needs a forever home as he isn't enjoying being in 24/7.

What's the norm procedure in rescues with cats coming in Strays that are used to being outside alot (but not feral)  to keep them inside?  Do you norm spend alot of time (if you have it) with them to entertain to stop boredom? Can rescue strays become a little aggressive ie start attacking legs etc if held for long and if so what is norm done?

Will get some more pics and take a toy for him.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
How's Andy doing, Tan??   :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2010, 13:04:10 PM »
I also think it is likely that no matter how much the Centre advertises that it is for re-homing only, cats will be either be taken there by members of the public for re-homing or dumped there.  This happens even at my front door so I cannot imagine they will be immune from it.  What will then happen to these cats?  Will the nearby Branches be expected to take them on? 

This occurred to me too but I imagine, if the rehoming centre isn't there, the cats would be dumped at nearby branches in any event?

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
I think the idea of a central re-homing centre for an area is quite a good one.  The only concern I would have if I was a nearby Branch is that if our Branch sent a cat to the Centre, where would the re-homing fee go - to the Branch or the Centre.  Also, who pays for the vaccinations, etc, - the Branch or the Centre. 

I can see the concerns a nearby Branch would have about losing vital resources from their own needs to the running of such a Centre.

I also think it is likely that no matter how much the Centre advertises that it is for re-homing only, cats will be either be taken there by members of the public for re-homing or dumped there.  This happens even at my front door so I cannot imagine they will be immune from it.  What will then happen to these cats?  Will the nearby Branches be expected to take them on?

Hi Les
Yes this is what Bmth cp was saying to me. Bmth branch (Dorset)  covers a huge area incl us in New Milton in Hampshire and they had concerns the new center may take some public vital funds from the actual branch. The branch will still cover all vet fees and vac etc as usual and cover all the rescue work.   I hope the new center which has been built entirely from HQ funds will be run from HQ funds so not to effect the branch.
I will ask Joy if she knows who gets the rehoming fee which normally the branch gets.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
I think the idea of a central re-homing centre for an area is quite a good one.  The only concern I would have if I was a nearby Branch is that if our Branch sent a cat to the Centre, where would the re-homing fee go - to the Branch or the Centre.  Also, who pays for the vaccinations, etc, - the Branch or the Centre. 

I can see the concerns a nearby Branch would have about losing vital resources from their own needs to the running of such a Centre.

Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
yes the new center is purely for rehoming cats that are ready from the cp branches and fosters in the area. 

To be honest I have not read the whole topic but have been asked to have a look.

What a wonderful idea for rescues to have such a facility, it will mean that branches can re-locate those  cats that have been assessed and ready for a new loving home and have space much sooner for those that are perhaps in a bad condition or in a dangerous location  waiting to come in and need help ASAP. Often pens are blocked by purrfectly homeable cats and to me it seems a shame when you know of a cat/s that desperately need that pen.

So you have cats at fosters and they were scared and starving when you got them at your branch, the fosterer has done a fantastic job and  they are now used to a house and ready for rehoming. So you then send them to this prison/zoo and they revert to being scared and wont eat and nobody will rehome them cos they attack anyone who comes close.........what happens to the poor cat then?

I think that comment is disrespectful. I know as a fosterer that I would rather a cat that is more than ready to have a loving home go to somewhere where people can view daily and have a quicker chance of a loving home than remain here where my time to allow people to view is limited. I am sure fosterers would not allow cats that would not soon settle in their new surroundings  quickly to go to another facility. Also CP pens & runs are in no way prison like nor like a zoo. Also many fosterers have a number of pens so there is not much difference in the viewing facility. The soon cats are home the better and more can be saved.

All homes for CP cats are vetted be the cat  in the care of a  branch or CP centre.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2010, 17:13:09 PM »
Well its grand opening is on 20 Mar so you can all get down there and ask penetrating questions  :innocent:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2010, 16:05:12 PM »
I'm sure there is a lot that goes into it. It looks like the set up is pretty similar to Dogs Trust?

Was thinking the same thing, thats what made me say it. I know lots of planning and research goes into our buildings etc.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:33 PM »
I'm sure there is a lot that goes into it. It looks like the set up is pretty similar to Dogs Trust?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »
Just a thought but the money spent might not just have been on the "pens" but might be on veterinary facilities and the behind the scenes facilities etc too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
Maybe my only experience is with CP. I had no problem getting Kylie from CP Archway rehoming centre after a homecheck, even though I lived on a main road. Also, it is very rare that someone gets turned down by our branch. There are sometimes niggles but Sharon will iron them out. I have had doubts before, ie I don't like the idea of homing to people that smoke in the house but Sharon says if we only homed to people who got 100/100, we would never home any cats.

I know of one rescue in about 20 miles from here that doesn't even do homechecks. They refuse to home to certain areas/streets but that is it. They take people on face value. I spoke to the person that runs it and he says their local CP branch will have nothing to do with them because of that. He says that he has never had any problems doing it his way and always makes it clear to people that if there are any problems, he will take the cat back straight away. I think he said they have a set fee and it is high enough to put off the wrong types. I can't say I agree with it. I have met some of the most caring cat owners in dodgy streets. One lady phoned us as she was concerned about a BSB in the house backing onto hers. She said the cats had a habit of vanishing once they had a few litters. She was particularly concerned about a little girl than kept coming into her garden. I paid her a visit and came away with a little friend  :evillaugh: . She even said that there were a lot of people she wouldn't allow cats in her street but her house was full of cat stuff and she had a CP sticker in the window  :)

It is a tough call though as this was the same street that Porridge was homed and if you saw the other thread yesterday, rescued from again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:11:08 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat