Author Topic: Asbo now called Andy the Stray Tom! Has a forever home  (Read 37321 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Urgent - We have Asbo the Stray Tom!
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »
Well done for catching him.  Do you have another friendly neighbour who could board him overnight if you provided the necessary stuff?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
Tan

I can understand why you are worried about releasing him back, bearing in mind that note.

You just need somewhere for him to go to give more time to sort things out.  :hug:

Have you asked the vets whether he can stay there today/tomorrow to give you some time to sort something out or would Kathy keep him indoors if he had to be collected from the vets?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
:( Tried Lymington cat & Kitten rescue and they are full and can't take him :(

If i get him and bring him back here and he is back going into houses again i am afraid of what this person will do that wrote the note. It's why i wanted to get him last night before these people did anything bad to him and get him to Brenda
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 13:20:34 PM by Tan »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Tan

Well done on trapping Asbo and what good news that on the in-house tests, he is negative and already neutered. :)

Poor thing, he is just a stray trying to surive on the streets and as you say just need to get him in somewhere, especially as he has started to upset people in the neighbourhood (by the note attached to him the other day).

I do hope someone on here can help get him to safety.

A last resort this one, in case all else fails. The CP branch could contact the National Cat Centre to see if they could take him in especially as the local branch has a flu outbreak. That of course would need a transport run from yours to Haywards Heath, East Sussex. Alternatively are any neighbouring branches able to help?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:46:35 AM by Edd »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
can someone make a temporary home for him in a shed or outbuilding?

I would have thought the fact that he is not an unneutered tom changes a lot - he probably isn't going to need a lengthy period of socialization nor will his instinct to roam be so strong
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
ooops now we in trouble cause Brenda at Bmth CP has had to close as she has an outbreak of cat flu since last week so can't take any in  :scared: :scared:  if i would of known that i would have held off catching him as they were my backup to take him straight from the vets.

We have nowhere for him to stay in a spare bedroom here  :(

Not so good now :(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
Ooh, that is quick! ours are always there all day  :wow:

Glad to hear he's neg though - you may find he's not bothered for going out if he's been a stray so long but I'd be wary and prob better to be assessed for right home.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:24:23 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »
omg Tan!!!  already done??

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »
OOO vets just called

He is negitive  ;D ;D No chip and has been done already and ready to come out in 2 hours!!   So i have to find him somewhere to go today.  :scared:

I hope bob will contact me soon but i will ring Brenda just in case.

:scared: :scared: coo how do you wonderful rescue do this i am shaking!  :Crazy:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »
Great news Tan  ;D  :hug:

Tricky one, but first thoughts, if unsure could you not ask Breand CP to take him in to be assessed - telling of potential owner and once assessed may have an idea of whether he'll be suitable to be rehomed to Bob and then they can do homecheck too? 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:10:41 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
Thanks Dawn hun  :hug: :hug:

lol iam still shaking - 1st time sucessful trapping and i didn't do it!!  :-: :shy: :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
Les hun can i ring ya just to get advice don't want to put any more cats your way as i know ya have lots of needy ones  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
well done on getting him Tan, as for what to do next - no idea!!!

could Lesley recommend someone who could do a proper homecheck ?  once he is less of a man Asbo might quite like the quiet life
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 13:21:11 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: We got him!  :wooooo: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Kathy came ove about 8am with him in the trap completely cover in a blanket. She said he hasn't gone mad at all but is very scared and was crying to be let out. He is very quiet and i haven't heard a peep from him.  So phase 1 complete  ;D

Took him down to the vets about half 8 and he is in under my name. I have signed for him and left my large basket with his cushion that he sleeps on at Kathys for after the op. I have asked to check for a chip, For testing for FIV etc and for the neutereing.  I have asked for them to ring me with the results of the test so i can plan what  avenues we have depending on the results.  They said they might have to keep him overnight as they are packed this am with ops and do him tomorrow am. If so it geives us a bit more time to sort out once i know his results. 
I have said under no circumstances must he be pts if he tests posititve and i will cover any fees.

Hunnies now i need ya help further.  :hug: :hug:

If he isn't fiv positive -
Option 1 - I may have a possible home for him.

Option 2 - to take him to Breand at CP in Bournemouth to be assessed and rehomed.

If he is FIV positive etc
Bournemouth CP won't help as they would not have allowed him out of the vets.  So need Urgent help here for somewhere safe for him to go later today or tomorrow when he comes out of the vets.
I am not sure if Bob is prepared to take him on if he is FIV positive but i don't feel that would be right for Asbo to be kept inside all his life in a one bed flat as he is used to going out as a stray? What do you think?
What urgent help can i get or options if he is positive?

I have do sort this quick now as he will be ready to come back from vets either later today or tomorrow and they won't keep him there and i can't have him here either with no spare room and my two lads.  I am also worried if he is brought back here and let out if there is no where else to go that we won't be able to trap get him again to rehome.  :scared:

Wonderful Purrs peeps need ya help  :hug: :hug: :hug: :thanks: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 13:22:30 PM by Tan »

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: Asbo the Stray Tom update
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
OMG Liz, 191 paws????????   :shocked:  It must take you all day just to feed them!!   :Luv2:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2010, 21:40:41 PM »
Tan all Paws crossed here at teh Clan - all 191 of them sending good trapping vibes ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2010, 19:56:19 PM »
Good luck Tan  xx  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2010, 19:40:52 PM »
Such a shame the person who'd written the note didn't sign it-they could've been a great help in catching him, in fact why didn't they keep him where he was when they were putting the note on him  and call CP or someone else ????    :-:
Good luck for tonight Tan   :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2010, 19:39:01 PM »
Im glad the ribbon is off his neck, lucky he didnt hang himself!
You must have spoken to whoever put it on or a friend of them, hes obviously causing a problem with many people, strange they havnt confessed!

God luck with plan b, hopefully setting it up indoors will work :luck:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2010, 18:43:16 PM »
Is it worth tipping off your local RSPCA so that if he does get handed in there, you can volunteer to immediately take responsibility for him?  We can take it from there, thereafter.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2010, 18:03:50 PM »
Saw him this am. Coming out of Kathys so he's back!

Kathy has just been round and had the note with her that was tied to his neck with"Ribbon"  not elastic!!! That's even worse!!!  Thanks god Kathy has found the note and the Ribbon in her lounge when she got back so it is off him thank god!

Sad thing is this is the note!! exactly as written by whoever wrote it in the neighbourhood! ---

Please Neuter your cat!  He has been coming into all our houses when our windows are open and spraying everywhere. It is costing us all a fortune in carpet cleaning! He has been given a warning this time!! NEXT time he goes to the RSPCA for rehoming if he is caught.  May we suggest then that you keep him indoors for a while , get him neutered and then let him out but only under supervision. Some neighbours with cat flaps have said he also comes in at night. Wonderful care you are giving him!!

:scared: :scared: no name of who wrote this or where they live  so i don't know who has or how the hell they got so close to tie a Ribbon around his neck!!  That could of killed him!!  :censored: :censored:

It's so important now we catch him soon!!  The RSPCA won't i am sure rehome him!! 

I have asked Kathy if we can set the trap up in her lounge tonight instead of my garden so we will be doing this later and hope and pray we get him by the morning!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 18:06:06 PM by Tan »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2010, 16:09:37 PM »
I had to return the trap a couple of times with a couple of cats who weren't visiting that often as the traps were needed - but I got 'em eventually  :sneaky:  and you should too, fingers crossed :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2010, 15:25:13 PM »
Has he not been seen Tan?  Don't feel bad about not trapping him-if these cats don't want to go in, they won't!!!  I know it's easy to say and how frustrating it is when they don't!   :hug: If he's getting food from elsewhere that makes it even harder! My mommy cat would have the odd pigeon that flew into the factory, we'd see the feathers the next day-eeeurgh!!!! and of course, mice and rats-eeeeeeeeeuuuuuuurgh!!!!!
Fingers crossed you'll get a lovely surprise one of these days!    :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2010, 14:12:39 PM »
Another failed atempt!  Will keep trying with the trap.  Coo  not a good prospective for a trapper am i !!  :innocent: :shy: :no:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
This is what happened with Seb, he started lurking about when Harry was coming of age. He was battered and full of battle scars- he really looked like a stray cat! When I put a collar on him I was shocked to get a call from his "owner"  :shocked: I dont understand how anyone could have a cat and not do anything about the state it was in, he was a right mess  :( When I phoned them back and left a message about getting him neutered- I never heard back from them, soooo..... I got him done myself  :innocent:

I think Seb is happy settled at home now, the last time I seen him was Christmas eve 2008  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Fingers crossed he has just wandered a bit further for a couple of nights and will come back as he knows he will get food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »
 I also wonder if they have taken him to get him neutered!! ??

You never know because if he has had some sort of collar put on him then someone else is looking out for him.  When you next see him if he's been released then he may have is ear tipped (if your vets do that) that's what ours do so it's obvious.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:40:50 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2010, 20:01:06 PM »
Yes i thought that would be the next thing to do so was going to ask her tonight if she would mind the trap in her house but he hasn't been to hers either.

Dying to find out who put the collar on him as he could be there and those people maybe able to get him in a basket!  I also wonder if they have taken him to get him neutered!! ??
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 20:01:36 PM by Tan »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2010, 20:00:56 PM »
I suppose there's an outside chance Asbo has an owner, and it was that owner who put the  note on him

it would explain how someone got near enough to him to put it on
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2010, 19:56:16 PM »
Hmmm wierd  Kathy hasn't seen Asbo since Thurs either.   Does this mean now Maise has been done ( hopefully has been kept in since Thurs and not anything bad happened to her)  that he has gone elsewhere?!  I had hoped kathy would have seen him to get the elastic collar and note off him but she hasn't :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2010, 19:55:51 PM »
Would Kathy get up to set it at hers? Toms always seem harder to get, guess they lead more of a hectic interupted life!
Glad hes safely booked under you, like Edd im happy to help  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2010, 19:39:03 PM »
 :hug: :thanks:  i have set it up for Asbo to go in under my account at the vets. They say the test is about £50 then plus the neutering so going to be at least £110. 

No luck this am ... again no trap set off with a stray Asbo in it!  All food still there so he just hasn't been in the garden.  I am going to pop over to see Kathy in a mo to see if he is still sleeping at her house. 
Any Sugesstions to place the trap elsewhere?

A bit worrying is that i haven't seen Maise or Milo since Thursday, i so hope they haven't had an another accident on the road.  :scared:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2010, 19:49:39 PM »
Think we are all thinking the same way here that as the CP branch has made clear to you their stance on FIV/FeLV+ - e.g. PTS - then it is a BIG risk for the test to be done in their name and perhaps should be done in your name.

If he is negative that will be great and he can be neutered with the cost to CP (including the blood test  ;)) as a TNR.

But if he is positive for FIV or FeLV or both, he will still need to be neutered and a plan to get him to safety. In that case perhaps the CP branch can issue a voucher post neutering or I would be willing to help with the vet costs. I am sure others would too. :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2010, 18:37:27 PM »
They have said he won't come out of the vets if he test's positive. 

Tan
If that was the branch's words, I would take that to mean that they would instruct the vet to PTS. So am glad you have asked them to let you know but think you have to be very clear to the vets that if Asbo tests positive, he is not to be PTS but you are to be advised straightaway. Otherwise the vet might just follow the CP branch's 'standing instruction' for FIV/FelV+ cats.

If hes signed to CP then the vet has to take their word as they would be considered the owner of him.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
If that was the branch's words, I would take that to mean that they would instruct the vet to PTS. So am glad you have asked them to let you know but think you have to be very clear to the vets that if Asbo tests positive, he is not to be PTS but you are to be advised straightaway. Otherwise the vet might just follow the CP branch's 'standing instruction' for FIV/FelV+ cats.

This is what happened when Blackie (the feral) was trapped and taken to the vets for neutering- I was told nothing of this and when I called the vets to see how he was doing it was ONLY THEN that I was told if he tested poss, he would be pts! I was not told anything of this and he was already at the vets, I felt like a murderer, and if he was FIV + he would of been pts and there would of been nothing I could of done  :(

Same thing happened with Seb but as I already knew what could happen to him, I had to stay at the vets while they phoned cp to authorise that if he was FIV+ I would be taking him home on the account that I paid the vets fees, which I gladly would of to save his life  :)

The cp had already authorised pts for Seb if he was FIV, it was written on his card before I got there  :(

Someone needs to stay at the vets while this all gets sorted out, the vets need to hear it from the cp that they are willing for you to do this with Asbo, just to be on the safe side  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »
Good luck in catching him, but I really would book him in under your name rather than CP with what they have said about the test - the vet might be able to ring you first, but if he is booked in under them, I would imagine they have the final say.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2010, 00:42:54 AM »
Thought CP's position on FIV and FeLV were also part of the Veterinary standards.

CP vet guidelines state that FIV cats can be rehomed to indoor homes if the cat will adapt to an indoor life. For FeLV cats the guidelines are to euthanise those that are comfirmed positive after repeat testing. Again, although these are guidelines and standards set by HQ they cannot legally enforce branches to adopt them. None of us are paid so they can't sack us. They can't lock us out of our own homes so exclude us that way. The only sanctions available are those I gave earlier. A bit like a political party can't sack a bad politician from his post, it can only 'withdraw the whip'.  :innocent: CP HQ leadership, like any other large voluntary organisation, is all about getting volunteers' cooperation. If those volunteers don't wish to impliment the guidelines, all they can do is cut ties.  :tired:

Is he going to be tested for FeLV as well?

It's the same blood test for both diseases. Get a clear and he's clear of both.  ;)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2010, 19:38:51 PM »
Thought CP's position on FIV and FeLV were also part of the Veterinary standards. However it is how the HQ implements them and engages the branches and as already mentioned some branches follow those standards and others don't!!.   :Crazy:

Re Asbo.

They have said he won't come out of the vets if he test's positive. 

Tan

Is he going to be tested for FeLV as well?

If Asbo is and in the remote chance he tests positive - there is a sanctuary who takes in FeLV+ cats - he has posted on Catchat looking for companion cat for his last FeLV - we could approach him unless you guys know anywhere else - should the need arise, of course.   :-:

Of course you have to catch him first!! :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 19:55:45 PM by Edd »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2010, 15:52:16 PM »
Digressing abit.. I think its from May this yr every cat and kitten old enough to be chipped HAS TO BE by new CP  Vet Standards. And if a branch does not then i am sure that they will be ticked off and grants recuded. or even more.. As their is little point of having a standard if only half follow it.

There  is i think many more avenues for FIV cats to go to then just PTS.. But its depending on the efforts the branch has to find them. Some sadly just use FIV as an excuse to not rehome a diffiuclt cat.. Sad to say..

However.................. we are not the only charity out their and i know of at least 4 rescues in the Kent area that are independant rescues that never rehome FIVS and have a PTS policy..  But you would not necessarily know about this when you sign a cat over to them.

There was talk a few yrs back of catchat having a  form of recognising what groups where FIV friendly or not.. But it got too political..

Good luck with Asbo
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 15:57:10 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2010, 14:04:13 PM »
Tan my advice would be to register him in your name when you take him to the vets that way if does prove + then he can be got a place without the loss of this dear boy!

I am speaking from experience with this type of "Closed" CP and thats how they ended up paying for a Glasgow blood sample for our dear BLur they thought they would be dealing with my boy - in our case it wouldn'thave mattered as we already had Sailor with FIV but he was negative and vost a lot more than a neutering voucher to be sorted thanks to his boy bits and hernia not being in the right places!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Link to CatChat