Author Topic: MUST READ - Tesco Anti-bacterial Spray toxic to cats (merged with Msg for Mark)  (Read 33821 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Just checked and Sainsbury's anti-bacterial spray has the same warning. I only use it to clean the toilet, but that's right next to the litter tray so the spray is in the bin now. I got some special litter tray disinfectant spray from PaH so I'll just use that on the toilet from now on (which will save me spending more money on a separate cleaner for "human" stuff - result!)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
Mind you, I don't generally bother with all this antibacterial stuff.  Didn't have it when I was growing up and we all survived!

Me too!  All this antibacterial malarky is no substitute for giving things a good scrub.  I've always used washing up liquid and hot water to clean litter trays and use the scourer pads that have got too manky for the washing up.

I use spray bleach on my counters and rinse it afterwards.

Me too again!  Another way to use up old washing up pads (obviously not the same ones I use on the trays  ;D).

:)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I tend to stick to my trusty Astonish paste for most things, or vinegar and water.  I use the Johnson's Clean and safe stuff for litter trays.  Never occurred to me to use that on work surfaces but might give it a go.  Mind you, I don't generally bother with all this antibacterial stuff.  Didn't have it when I was growing up and we all survived!

You are so right and so much of this is being used that kids are growing up with no self protection against basic bugs......not good.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
I posted this on my Facebook page & one of my mates came back with a link to the Tesco product review:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/tesco-anti-bacterial-cleaner-spray/1106148/

However, when I came to use it on my stainless steel hob I thought I had wiped it clean and polished it dry to achieve a high sheen as usual but on closer inspection after about half an hour (when I returned to the kitchen) I noticed it looked tainted and smeered, I was very disappointed and took to doing the task again. It did come up better but I feel cheated by a product that claims to do what my usual product claims but leaves you choking on its very strong and unpleasant smell and leaves your shiny steel surfaces tainted something it claims on the front of the products label it does not do.

I like that after using the product on kitchen surfaces and wiping you can allow the surfaces to air dry, which not only save a little time( granted not much ) but, also practically germ free. However, I was shocked to read on the label on the reverse of the product in the warning section no less that this product is not safe for pets especially cats!!! As a cat owner I read on, it states if you wipe a surface you must dry it before the cat comes into contact with it and not allow the cats to lick the surfaces that have just been sprayed!! I have ofcourse since then been very careful, but I would just like to point out that the warning label is in very small print, it is almost like they do not want people to read it. As I expected to read though it does state do not breathe product, okay how long can you hold your breath?

Product ingredients;

Non-ionic Surfactants Less than 5%
Disinfectant, Perfume,Limonene.

Price wise;

It represents value for money at 88 pence for 500ml, it is almost half of the price I would pay for my original cleaner, but would I buy it again? In a word NO. I don't like that it leaves streaks, and I certainly don't appreciate the odour which is harmful not only to me (should you breathe in the spray) but my pets too.
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
If johnsons is anything like Bob Martin, it tells you to leave it on for 20 minutes which isn't practical  :evillaugh:

I use spray bleach on my counters and rinse it afterwards.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I tend to stick to my trusty Astonish paste for most things, or vinegar and water.  I use the Johnson's Clean and safe stuff for litter trays.  Never occurred to me to use that on work surfaces but might give it a go.  Mind you, I don't generally bother with all this antibacterial stuff.  Didn't have it when I was growing up and we all survived!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
I use Method which according to their website is fine to use around pets
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Thanks for the tips x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Yer,  :welcome: and thanks for the tip - we like to share good info on here with each other.

We also like photos - so ask your puddy cat to get posing  :hug: then you can start a new thread - we don't mind how many photos.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
 :welcome: to Purrs Amandarin!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline amandarin

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jack
Pet shops like Pets at Home actually do their own anti-bacterial sprays which can be used for most household cleaning jobs. They have a nice smell to them too and do them specifically for cats (or dogs). I use mine for wiping over work surfaces and cleaning out my cat's litter tray. They're perfectly safe even for kittens and suggests they can be used for cleaning out their food bowls. :) They also do anti-bacterial wipes which are quick drying so really good for a quick clean. :)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Just had this reply from Ecover:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the safety of Ecover products used
in your home if pets are present. They are fine to use around the house,
although obviously when storing the products we advise to keep them out
of the way as with any cleaning products.

I have a cat and have always used a variety of Ecover products with no
problems.

I hope that helps with your enquiry, but do come back to me if you need
any additional information

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Well I've emailed Ecover too see what they say. When looking in Sainsburys its was the only one without a warning for pets and children, all the others did, except another spray which I can't remember whats its called but the liquid was purple and a lavender fragrance and it was another Eco brand.

Edited to say it was a brand called method
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 16:19:08 PM by Leanne »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Its optional to mention pets so no warning doesnt necessarily mean its safe  :tired:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Ecover products arent all nice either, plant based chemicals can still contain cat dangerous substances  :tired:

I'm using the multi surface cleaner and it has no mention of keeping away from pets etc.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
I can't remember if it was dettol or savlon, but the label mentioned cats should be excluded from treated areas. The disinfectant includes camphor, which is apparently toxic to cats.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
I know what you mean though Firefox, the new M&s one says it's natural but then has the warning on the back whereas the previous one was a different formulation and had no problems with it.

It's worrying when companies change formulation and don't make it clear, especially when you read threads like this!  >:(
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
I sent an email to Dettol asking if their Anti-Bacterial spray was safe for cats, last week, and I am still waiting for a reply >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Ecover products arent all nice either, plant based chemicals can still contain cat dangerous substances  :tired:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
I've started using Ecover and I quite like it.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
I used to use a Marks and Spencer one that was completely natural so safe for cats but they seem to have stopped doing it now  :censored: and their reformulated one which still calls itself natural now has a warning on the back so please don't use that one. I have previously used products from a company called Method which were all natural/no chemicals and am going to check them out again to see if still ok. Will post back on here when I've checked.

Just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it safe: many plants are toxic to humans or other animals. Unless it said on the bottle?

Have now managed to buy a new bottle of this and it says non toxic on the front of the bottle. Have checked the small print and no warnings about letting animals walk on surfaces, just the usual about if you get it in your eyes wash with cold water etc. Also it is not tested on animals at all and uses recycled materials for the bottles. I've used it in the past and Hobbes regularly gets on the workbench cos he drinks out of the tap and had no problems.

I know what you mean though Firefox, the new M&s one says it's natural but then has the warning on the back whereas the previous one was a different formulation and had no problems with it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 14:10:56 PM by Ann Clarke (Tabby cat) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
They used to do one that was pet safe but that was a few years ago, try looking at their website and asking them

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
I have a bottle of Dettol Anti-Bacterial spray and I can't see any warning on there about pets.  I'm confused is this one dangerous or not? :-:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
I adored Bugs Away, but apparently this is now only available online at a ridiculous price!  >:(

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
Phew! Thank goodness I use Virkon too, which thankfully Angie gave me some to try.  Use it all the time for general cleaning in pens and litter trays.  :thanks:  I  keep an empty anti-bacterial sprayer filled with Virkon solution made up now - how ironic is that!

I am glad that I started using the Virkon as I had probably used Tesco's in the past or at least one of the leading brands of the stuff.  Then started to use Bugs Away, but found it difficult to buy in some shops. 

Coventry Cat Group

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
I nearly bought a bottle of this last week  >:(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Well Ive just thrown the spray and floor cleaner out! The floor cleaner is just the same!  :tired: :scared:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
I used to use a Marks and Spencer one that was completely natural so safe for cats but they seem to have stopped doing it now  :censored: and their reformulated one which still calls itself natural now has a warning on the back so please don't use that one. I have previously used products from a company called Method which were all natural/no chemicals and am going to check them out again to see if still ok. Will post back on here when I've checked.

Just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it safe: many plants are toxic to humans or other animals. Unless it said on the bottle?
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
I wipe kitchen surfaces on a daily basis with Tesco's anti-bacterial washing-up liquid, which contains no warnings about pets

There have been warnings about Fairy Anti Bac washing up liquid, so I would think own brand ones use similar/same substances.

I couldn't find anything on this  :scared:

mind you, i use virkon.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
back to Ecover it is then
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I wipe kitchen surfaces on a daily basis with Tesco's anti-bacterial washing-up liquid, which contains no warnings about pets

There have been warnings about Fairy Anti Bac washing up liquid, so I would think own brand ones use similar/same substances.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
One of the problems about warnings is that they shove everything on, apropraite or not just to cover themselves and I would far prefer the warnings that are relevant.

Just going off topic a moment cos I feel for nut allergie sufferers cos of the really daft things that are on food...ie made in a factory not using nuts but cannot guarantee to be nut free!! What do the poor people eat cos its on most things now.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat

I wonder now though if that too is unsafe :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I paid about £10 for a 1l bottle of concentrate, think i got it from a site that also does crates as it meant i had no postage, it sells on quite a few websites now and theres a similar called safe 4.
The bottle has lasted me ages as you make it up in a spray bottle, i dilute at 1:100 for general use so you get 10 1 litre spray fulls out of 100ml of concentrate  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Where do you buy trigene and how much does it cost?

I cant stand the smell of milton, makes me sick

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I use trigene most of the time as i know its safe around the cats, i really struggled to find any cat safe surface sprays or wipes, the only brand i found was Milton, it leaves no residues but the wipes are more expensive than other brands

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I use Stardrops antibacterial spray (pound shops) and that doesn't have any specific warning about cats, just "keep out of reach of children and pets". HTH.

sounds like another on to put on the beware litst then grrrrrrrr

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
I use Stardrops antibacterial spray (pound shops) and that doesn't have any specific warning about cats, just "keep out of reach of children and pets". HTH.
Lulu's Catbook

Link to CatChat