Author Topic: MUST READ - Tesco Anti-bacterial Spray toxic to cats (merged with Msg for Mark)  (Read 33820 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
I use the dettol one  >:( I've got to admit I've never looked at the bottle! **** I won't be using it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Mine never get on worktops so should be ok :shify:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
 :scared: I think all the product's I use are animal friendly....Will check in the morning though to be on the safe side!  :shify: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
This is what it says in tiny writing ....

"Do not allow pets (especially cats) to walk on treated surfaces until they are dry or to lick surfaces that have been sprayed or wiped with this product"

JUST FOUND AN ASDA ANTI BACTERIAL CLEANER IN MY CUPBOARD AND IT SAYS EXACTLY THE SAME THING (SAME WORDS)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
I never use any of the shop anti bac products - best thing to use for worktops etc is something that is used in veterinary practices etc, like Trigene or Virkon. I use Trigene, its quite cost effective too, because the litre bottle is concenrated so all you have to do is use a small amount topped up with water in a spray bottle - so it last for ages. I wash the floors and clean litter trays with it too. http://www.medi-chem.com/Default.asp?Page=49 . You can also get Trigene wipes.

I used to use Trigene, think i will go back to it !

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I never use any of the shop anti bac products - best thing to use for worktops etc is something that is used in veterinary practices etc, like Trigene or Virkon. I use Trigene, its quite cost effective too, because the litre bottle is concenrated so all you have to do is use a small amount topped up with water in a spray bottle - so it last for ages. I wash the floors and clean litter trays with it too. http://www.medi-chem.com/Default.asp?Page=49 . You can also get Trigene wipes.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
It seems that most of these new products are not safe for cats but they are hiding it in the small print!

Thinks its back to good old soap and water......sigh

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
This is what it says in tiny writing ....

"Do not allow pets (especially cats) to walk on treated surfaces until they are dry or to lick surfaces that have been sprayed or wiped with this product"

It does also say keep out of the reach of children and pets in bold but you'd assume that meant they shouldn't drink it  :scared:

How do I know?  I bought some months ago but have never got around to using it at all.  It is now in bin.  Blimey!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
I put it on my FB status and my friend Jo replied with this

"OMG. Thats the exact one I use and have done for ages! Sophie was sick most days and that is what I cleaned it up with. The vet put it down to age. I bet it was that then!"

and then

"Just looked and I can't believe it. There is a warning but I never looked. Bet thats why she was always sick. Ah poor love.Feel really guilty now. Bless her!"

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Good question!  I use the Tesco wipes for my surfaces.  Checked the pack and says nothing about being dangerous to cats, although it says not tested on animals.  I guess they leave that up to us. :doh:
Pam

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
What is the best cleaning product for worktops that is safe for cats?

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Cleaning products should never be mixed, they can have all sorts of chemical reactions to each other!

Thanks for merging Gill :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: EVERYONE MUST READ - Tesco Anti-bacterial Spray toxic to cats
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 20:53:23 PM »
 :thanks: Shona

Gill has posted about this but the title doesn't really make it clear what it's about so I'll merge your thread with hers  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Message for Mark
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 20:52:04 PM »
Maybe Mark

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
EVERYONE MUST READ - Tesco Anti-bacterial Spray toxic to cats
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 20:51:31 PM »
Another Purrs person posted this on their Facebook and another pointed out we should probably post here.

I have just had brought to my attention that a Tesco's cleaning product is potentially lethal to cats. The product is "Tesco Anti bacterial Cleaning Spray". the spray apparently carries a warning for animals, MOST PARTICULARLY CATS, but is as I understand in very small print. I have just learnt of a couple who have lost one kitten and have another one in critical care, believed to be as a result of the product.

Someone has checked a bottle they have and have confirmed there is a warning on the back of the bottle.

Another reminder we have to be so vigilant with our cleaning products.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 20:22:44 PM »
Was it essential oils?

Apparently, most of them also contain phenols and most are dangerous for cats - I think pine and rosemary particularly.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 20:17:35 PM »
Bloomin hell LOL was supposed to be strong smell!

I dont think it was a cleaning product but it was things that smelt strong and you made a comment about an effect it could have on cats.......its been on my mind ever since cos of Franta

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 20:16:31 PM »
The cattery I used to work at usd Bleach and Zoflora mixed to clean with ...... :censored: :censored: :censored:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 20:14:11 PM »

ummmm what about the second question  :shify: :shify:

I don't know any cleaning products that smell like string  :evillaugh:

Seriously, I don't know what that would have been other than things like Zoflora. I used Bugs Away until they stopped selling it in the shops. I emailed them last year to ask if it was safe for cats. They said it shouldn't pose any problems but recommended thorough rinsing "as with any other cleaning product" - I always rinse well then wipe over with kitchen towel to try to remove any remaining residue.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 20:03:14 PM »
I think the Tesco product they are talking about is the clear onewhich is like Dettol antibacterial spray. I know there is a case on Fab Cat where a woman's cat died due to a build up over time where it kept licking its paws after walking over the worktops. This product doesn't go cloudy in water but is still dangerous. From what I remember, Dettol started putting a warniong on it. I think because it says it is safe to clean High Chairs etc, people assume it is safe for cats but not so. Also the disinfectants that go cloudy are lethal - things like cheap disinfectant and zoflora - also dettol and things like it.

Anyway, I stopped buying the Dettol one and the Tesco one a couple of years ago - I think they are the same. I would imagine other supermarkets do their own versions?

I have bought the Tescos one once when they didn't have the dettol one, I think they are slightly different I would say the Dettol one stronger but meant to be same.  Not good though about either.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 19:58:49 PM »
i knew about dettol and thanks mark

ummmmm what about the second question  :shify: :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 19:57:09 PM »
I think the Tesco product they are talking about is the clear onewhich is like Dettol antibacterial spray. I know there is a case on Fab Cat where a woman's cat died due to a build up over time where it kept licking its paws after walking over the worktops. This product doesn't go cloudy in water but is still dangerous. From what I remember, Dettol started putting a warniong on it. I think because it says it is safe to clean High Chairs etc, people assume it is safe for cats but not so. Also the disinfectants that go cloudy are lethal - things like cheap disinfectant and zoflora - also dettol and things like it.

Anyway, I stopped buying the Dettol one and the Tesco one a couple of years ago - I think they are the same. I would imagine other supermarkets do their own versions?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 19:35:55 PM »
I have used that before !
OMG

Gill i have always been told that anything that goes cloudy in water is bad

(i have just added this to my facebook status)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 19:45:10 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I have just had this message sent to me, are you aware of thius product and any problems for cats?

I have just had brought to my attention that at least one (there may be more; I don't know) of Tesco's cleaning products is potentially lethal to cats.

The product is "Tesco Anti bacterial Cleanining Spray".  the spray apparently carries a warning for animals, MOST PARTICULARLY CATS, but is as I understand it in very small print.  I have just learnt of a couple who have lost one kitten and have another one in critical care, believed to be as a result of the product.

I have no idea whether any other Tesco products are the same, or indeed whether a similar product by a different manufacturer would also be the same; given how many of these generic brands are simply repackaged key brands.

Please forward to any of your contacts that have cats

I also have a question from me!

I am sure you posted a while back on someones thread about cleaning products or similiar with string smells that had dangers for some cats.....can you remember this and where it was please

Link to CatChat