Author Topic: Help me! Missing cat in Dumfries, Dumfriesshire  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: Help me! Missing cat in Dumfries, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »
Hope you hear some news very soon.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I can't give you any better advice than you've already had, just wanted to say that I hope you find your little man safe and well, and very soon  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs...  :)

So sorry to hear that your babe is missing.... Please follow the link below to Sams help and advice tips for finding a lost cat, there are some very helpful suggestions in there!

Positive vibes for your babes safe return home soon~~~~~ Best of luck!  ;) :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,305.0.html

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
So sorry to hear that your furbabe has gone missing. The following advice from www.Catchat.org might help.

»»» LOST A CAT? - Here’s what to do...

First, don’t panic too soon - cats often go ‘missing’ and then arrive home late, or even the next morning, wondering what all the fuss is about. So, give them a few hours at least before you take action, then print off this page so you can tick off each item as you cover it.

Action Point 1 - First, check all these places:
every room in your house / loft / cellar / all cupboards
behind curtains / under duvets / behind settees / under beds
washing machine / dishwasher / tumble drier / oven / microwave
chimneys / dustbin / water butt / compost bin / sheds / garages
green houses / outside toilets/ vehicles / Gardens / hedgerows
ask neighbours to check their sheds, garages etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Point 2 - Make a list of the following details...
the cats name, age and colouring
when and where your cat was last seen
length of hair - long or short
any distinguishing features - white paws, striped tail etc.
male or female?
neutered or entire?
were they wearing a collar, if so, what colour?
is he/she microchipped?
a photograph if possible, (people remember photos better than descriptions)
And give those details to:
If your cat is microchipped, call Petlog: 0870 6066 751 so they can flag your cat as missing. They are open 24 hours a day, and also give advice. Every vet and rescue know their number and they are nearly always the first port of call when they find a lost animal.
local vets (all practices in your area, not just your own vet), for details of vets in your area go to: www.any-uk-vet.co.uk
police station
local schools
your local animal rescue organisations ~ for contact details of rescues in your area go to our: Shelters Pages
lost & found registers and websites ~ details at the bottom of this page
postman, milkman, window cleaner
local newspaper (lost & found sections)
local television
local catteries
local radio (they often broadcast lost & found appeals)
the RSPCA helpline, as they match up lost & found cats across the UK : 0300 1234 999
N.B. the earlier you report your cat missing, the more likely that he/she will be found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Point 3 - Pounding the streets
PLEASE NOTE, if you are under 18 years of age, do NOT go looking for your cat alone after dark, preferably take a friend with you and go in daylight hours
walk around your local area, paying particular attention to any garages, lock-ups or empty houses
call for your pet by name (you may feel daft at first, but this often works)
shaking a box of his favourite biscuits, or squeezing a favourite squeaky toy may help
stop regularly and listen ~ give your cat a chance to answer your call
stay in one area long enough for your pet to reach you if he is in the vicinity

Action Point 4 - Advertise
Make up a leaflet, including a contact telephone number and with a photo if possible. Don’t put a full description of your cat, that way if someone contacts you saying they have found your cat, you can check those extra details with them to know if they are genuine.
Get plenty of copies made, and distribute as follows:
IMPORTANT NOTE: if you are under 18 years of age, do NOT distribute leaflets alone after dark, preferably take a friend with you and go in daylight hours
post them through every door in your immediate area
display at: post offices, supermarkets, pet shops, vets, library, launderette, hairdressers, pubs
and at: newsagents, fish & chip shops, corner shops, garages, doctors, dentists, police station
don't forget to check local shop windows for a 'Cat Found' notice, just in case!
on notice boards in halls such as scouts, brownies, playgroups, youth clubs, social clubs
tie or tape leaflets to telegraph poles, lamp posts, phone boxes, bus shelters and letter boxes
also display one on your own front gate
offer a reward if you can - don't state an amount, just say 'substantial reward'. Even if it is a small amount to you, it might be a large sum to another person or child

Other Suggestions:
show the photo to dog walkers, lillipop persons, traffic wardens, road sweepers
check Lost & Found section in local newspapers for ‘found’ adverts
post details on our forum under 'Lost & Found' »» the Cat Chat Forum
contact your local council’s Environmental Health Department. This can be a difficult call to make, but they will be able to tell you if a cat matching your description has been found killed on the road. Unfortunately as far as we are aware, councils have no facility for checking for microchips, so they will not contact you in this circumstance.
Animal Search UK have produced a video offering advice on what to do next in the event that your cat should go missing »» Finding a Lost Pet
if you feel particularly spiritually connected to your cat, you may like to try some visualization techniques, employed by some animal communicators. This is still quite a new and little understood area, and will not appeal to everyone, however if you think this is something you would like to try, print off the following PDF written by a practising communicator »» Lost cat visualization PDF

Check National and Regional Lost & Found resources for corresponding ‘cat found’ notices:
REGIONAL LOST & FOUND REGISTERS - Click Here
NATIONAL LOST & FOUND REGISTERS - Click Here

Offline oladratw

• Kitten
Help me! Missing cat in Dumfries, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 14:52:34 PM by oladratw »

Link to CatChat