Author Topic: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still here for now) (Sorted)  (Read 11676 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still here for now) (Sorted)
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009, 19:16:24 PM »
Sweep is gorgeous and love that nose up catching the sun pose  ;D

Now why did I expect him to be black  :rofl: :rofl:

Thats weird as I thought of him being black too...His name maybe?  :innocent:

He is a lovely boy!  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 15:24:27 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still here for now)
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
Sweep is gorgeous and love that nose up catching the sun pose  ;D

Now why did I expect him to be black  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
He is a lovely boy, our Tiger used to be a food monster to and loved all the food including his extra meals with his injections

We always got needles and insulin from the vet and most are approachable for a deal

I'm just so glad that he has you as parents and that your husband is like mine a sucker for a tabby boy ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2009, 11:50:23 AM »
looks as if he's dreaming of his Egyptian ancestors - lovely boy :Luv:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (CP funds withdrawn)
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2009, 00:25:24 AM »
Well, Sweep is currently sprawled on his newspaper (prefers this to any blanket/cushion) in the basement, doing a good impression of a beached whale.  (For the first time ever, I  forgot to take the girls' bowls up in the kitchen, and he's had three suppers).  I think he thinks he's won the lottery...

Gill/Trigger: I don't honestly know what would have happened if we hadn't said we would take him on, but Paddy said that there was a sense of relief on the other end of the phone when he agreed to do so. 

Liz/Desley: Sweep is a great favourite with many of the staff at the veterinary surgery and it's regarded as his 'second home' (they even tried to get him adopted as the practice cat). So.... I am hoping that I can negotiate some sort of discount/arrangement with them now (they were also the ones who approached me originally to look after him on behalf of the CP).

Strangely enough, I had a look on Vet UK last week at supplies - they don't do his particular needles, and they advise to still get the insulin from your vet because it comes in a very fragile bottle, and has to be kept cool.

Such a lot to think about now! 

Here's a couple of pics taken of the boy a month ago in the garden:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 00:27:45 AM by Jasmine »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2009, 22:16:14 PM »
Lovely that you have adopted Sweep Jasmine and I hope that can you eventually get his bloods stable, it can be tricky.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2009, 22:12:44 PM »
Adoption papers in the post.....they cant even be bothered to see you face to face and thank you................I am so getting fed up with peeps who do not know how to behave!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2009, 20:02:25 PM »
I am glad you are able to keep him, I ended up in a similar situation with Sam and it isn't pleasant, I think it is easy to say something like that when your not the one caring for the cat. You can get insulin and needles from VetUK, which might work out a better way than paying the vet. Fingers crossed you are over all your scares, and things can improve - there was someone on CC whos cat had acromology, think she was called Lynn, but not sure she has been on for a while.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 19:39:25 PM »

Patrick took the call - just as well as I would probably have got rather emotional  :innocent: and said fine, no problem, we love him and we'll keep him and pay for him ourselves (big gulp).  Adoption papers are in the post.  Did I do the right thing he asked?

Aw I love Patrick  :hug:

Glad Sweep is with you 2 ......hate to think what might have happened  :censored:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2009, 19:25:35 PM »
Bless you....Im so glad that you at least gave this gorgeous guy a chance!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2009, 19:05:09 PM »
if you hadn't been willing and able to pay for his further treatement - and I think you are wonderful for doing so - would CP have asked you to take him to the vets to be pts?

because if that is the case I shall write to them - as someone who has made them a beneficary in my will - to tell them what I think of such insensitivity >:(
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2009, 18:58:21 PM »
Lucky he was fostered by you, a rather unfair situation as they have put alot onto you, but how else do you react to being told the cat you have cared for for some months has reached his limit and cant be kept  :(
I hope he continues to be well after his recent health scares!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2009, 18:48:06 PM »
So nice you have decided to adopt Sweep - he got his paws under your table

Instead of honey we used to use Glucose mixed in water and shot in tot he mouth with a syringe - only had to use it once in Tigers whole time - he was a diabetic feral :Luv2:

I would by now be asking the vet for a deal on the insulin and needles to help with costs and ask for a lesson in doing his checks - we moved Tiger to 7 and 7 and he was on 14 units a day

I think the 4 am will be a killer for you takes a bit of time but you will be able to move him round

I think CP could have been a bit nicer and come to see you rahter than phone - sometimes they don't think
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2009, 18:38:41 PM »
Thats very sad and agree about HQs millions who I am sure wouldnt cough up.

A small branch probably cant afford those type of bills for one cat ongoing, but very wrong I think to stay out of touch for so long and then drop a bombshell, I assume they were going to have him PTS?

That would also be a total waste of the bills so far.

I think that vet should have been more careful and obviously had not looked at his notes but I am so happy for Sweep to have found you  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2009, 18:24:21 PM »
I haven't updated Sweep's thread for a while, but a lot has passed since I last posted.

Sweep has been a difficult diabetic to regulate, and at one stage - when I was up to 16 units of insulin a day, it was feared that he might even be insulin resistant.

Despite being on a strict diet, he has put on a kilo in weight since May.  This has triggered arthritis in his back knees - his gait is still not normal from the laiminectomy he had almost 2 years ago.  I have been told this rate of increase might possibly be down to a condition called acromegaly (a tumour on the pituitary gland which causes an excess of growth hormone).  The RCVS are currently doing research into this condition, and have said they will perform a brain scan for free - once their CT scan is working!

About three weeks ago, one evening at 10 o'clock, Sweep had a hypoglycaemic attack (his sugar levels had dropped to a dangerous level due to an insulin overdose).  Unfortunately, the vet was already dealing with an emergency 20 miles away, and it wasn't until gone midnight, that he received the treatment he urgently required and by this time he had lapsed into a coma. :( (I did administer honey to his gums, but this didn't have much effect).  Miraculously, I did get a call at 2.00 am to say he had come round and was demanding cuddles!  But he had to have several bags of intravenous glucose, and was hospitalised for 4 days.  He is now on half the dose (but I do set the alarm for 4.00am each morning to check him during his peak period).

I felt very angry afterwards, because I wondered if this could have been avoided - I had seen a vet a few days prior to this because I was concerned something was wrong (his usual vet was on hols), and she told me to up his insulin without testing his blood sugar levels...  Needless to say, I did make my views known after this episode; I think lessons have been learnt and I am now in the possession of a glucometer so that I can do my own tests and proper glucose curves at home.

Then, Today - just when you think things can't get much worse for Sweep, my CP co-ordinator rings (first contact I've had for 3 months) to inform us that regrettably, having just received his latest vets bill which now brings the total spent on him to... wait for it... over £5,000  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: the branch can simply no longer afford to keep him.  Patrick took the call - just as well as I would probably have got rather emotional  :innocent: and said fine, no problem, we love him and we'll keep him and pay for him ourselves (big gulp).  Adoption papers are in the post.  Did I do the right thing he asked?

I'm still in a state of shock, I can appreciate the branch's predicament entirely, but all the millions CP HQ has, and they can't help out in special circumstances?
It makes me sick. >:( 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 18:25:19 PM by Jasmine »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still her for now)
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 20:18:54 PM »
Jasmine, i hope you can keep him. :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 20:12:35 PM »
Fingers crossed
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 18:51:10 PM »
Hope it works out for you and Sweep. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 18:35:37 PM »
Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread - esp Sharon for her insight into another CP branch.

Sweep is still currently in my care, and I'm pleased to report that since making a brave decision to allow him unrestricted access to the house and garden, his toilet behaviour and tolerance towards our other cats has improved (although not perfect)!  I have therefore asked for more time to reconsider offering him a home ourselves.  Fingers crossed this will be granted because we don't usually foster for the branch - the last time was a couple of years ago, so he's not really taking up a place as such...

:thanks:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 18:36:03 PM by Jasmine »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (advice needed)
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 17:43:53 PM »
Abit inconsiderate not to ask your opiniion I would say. However, when we have a long stay puss cat in our care, we do think to move puss on to another branch, swap or go to NCC where they have a better chance of being adopted. NCC have a good track record on diabetic cats as if they are okay with being nr people they often let them out in the reception area to get noticed.. I suppose you have to look at it this way.. By going to NCC he has more chance of being rehomed then in a branch environment. I realise that we do all get attached to long term puss cats and we hope to see them through and find them a home but often in cats with a few issues it doesnt happen that way..

We have a cat in our care called "Bing" that is proving to be extremely difficult to rehome due to his character, he hates cats and dogs and can be very bossy if he sees or hears other cats around. So you cannot home him in a built up area where there are loads of cats, he just fights them... However, he is a lovely cat only 2yrs old.. He has been with us since April i reckon.. Although the fosterer loves  him dearly if we run out of ideas to find him a home we may consider moving him on to another branch whre he can get new people seeing him . Its worked a few times before. in return we take one of their cats...

NCC do a great job with really difficult cases. The last diabetic cat we had in took 6months to rehome, but he might of gone to NCC and be lucky enough to find a nice home in a much sorter amount of time just becuause more people go there...

Its hard...long term cats mean we are unable to take in or even think about reducing our waiting list and some of them are equally as urgent... So i such its a choose of logistics really....I wish Sweep all the best but dont feel to upset, in our branch fosterers always have the last say in things but we do have to be realistic to help achieve the eventually aim to finding a puss cat a home. Its darn hard but think of what you have done forhim already. I am sure he will find a very loving him and much to do with all your efforts to get him back on track to be up for rehoming..

You are doing a great job so give yourself a big pat on the back.!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 14:44:25 PM »
It's all irrelevant, I had an email this morning saying CP HQ, RDM & the branch co-ordinator have made the decision and that's final.  I was not consulted at all and have no say in the matter (the other alternative was euthanasia). 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 14:58:01 PM by Jasmine »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 19:16:49 PM »
It should have been discussed with you as fosterer but from what i hear about the NCC it has a good setup and homes some difficult cats.
He may well prefer having an area to himself, its not ideal but he should benefit from it  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 18:55:36 PM »
Could you contact the people you foster for and ask for more details on where it is they want to send Sweep?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 18:00:02 PM »
I don't think Sweep would be able to see other cats at the centre, would he? and I don't think the cats are in a space as small as a pen - so I think he will be fine there
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 17:37:57 PM »
Nicky, if he is unhappy with you then he needs moving.

Obviously your local CP have nowhere for him and no-one with the experience / situation to be able to take care of him.

If he's moved to Swindon, he will be well cared for and he may find a homing centre less stressful. I bet he won't be there too long before someone snaps him up - as you know some people specialize in special needs cats.... and will see him as a challenge.

We can only do our best for any animal.

As far as not notifying you, yes it is a bit bad but very often in small rescues communications are not what they should be as everyone is busy juggling work/home/rescue with other priorities - You will soon find out we can be as bad sometimes  :rofl:, though we do try our best (as I'm sure your local CP do). :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 17:04:11 PM »
I am really upset.

I've just spoken to the vets (Sweep is fine) and I've been told that the CP are planning to move him to the National Cat Adoption Centre in Sussex.
Firstly, I'm hurt that as his current carer, no-one has been bothered to inform me or ask my advice.
Secondly - and most importantly, I don't like the thought of him having to travel all that way and be stuck in a pen in an environment with even more cats.
What do other people think, would it be in his best interests or not?  I just can't stop crying at the thought.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster!
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 15:43:49 PM »
Do you vary your injection site, he could be getting sore there which would make him grumpy even when your not armed. I hope everything gets easier for you soon

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:17 AM »
I wonder whether his spine still causes him problems and makes him a bit grumpy.   If his blood sugar isn't right that will too, poor lad.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:48:35 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 23:35:53 PM »
Has his insulin level been steadily rising? I forgot to ask. :shy:

He's still on 7 units a shot.  His blood sugar dipped fairly low the week before last, but the vet decided to keep it at 7 units and just warned us to keep a close eye on him 2 hours after each injection.  He was checked at this peak time last Friday, and we were told to still keep it at this level. Then I got a message left on Sat am saying bloods from the lab showed high glucose and fructosamine levels, but they would decide on a treatment plan once his urine was checked (OH managed to get a sample and took it in after work this eve).

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 23:34:19 PM »
Poor boy  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 23:17:56 PM »
Has his insulin level been steadily rising? I forgot to ask. :shy:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 23:17:33 PM »
Is he drinking enough?

I think so Gill, he has access to a large, dog-bowl of fresh water and plenty seems to be coming out the other end (I've just been to check on him and he's peed up against the stripped pine door now).  I also went to stroke him and he went to nip me again, so something's really bothering him.

(Yep, I inject just under the skin.) 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 22:43:35 PM »
I hope the vets are taking into account his circumstances when measuring his sugar.

Is he drinking enough?

MY heart goes out to you with the jabs.................ouchie ouchie and so pleased I only had to give about 9.

Please can you tell me is his injection just under the skin?

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 21:47:06 PM »
I'm not sure if he's medically fit enough to be rehomed at present, and I feel I ought to wait for the go-ahead from the CP.

But... and this is probably a million to one shot, if anyone knows of a lonely, cat-loving person somewhere who wants to take on a special needs puss (he has a funny walk too!) please feel free to PM me, so I can bear you in mind when the time comes!

(Dreading tomorrow morning's jab, and he must get it as I only think he got about half his dose this eve, such a worry)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 21:30:58 PM »
Oh pants! Like it isn't stressful enough giving a cat a jab. Should the thread title be changed to reflect the need for a permanent home?

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 21:29:23 PM »
Yes JS -  I advised the vets/CP over a week ago that we can't keep him and that he desperately needs to find a home as an only cat.  I haven't had a response from our co-ordinator yet (can only assume she's on holiday).

We think he's upset and peeing everywhere now because he knows there are other cats in the house (failed intros), but the vets are checking for any medical cause.  His latest blood results showed extremely high blood sugar levels (when we previously thought he was in danger of becoming hypo), and we are waiting for the results from a urine sample.   

And...
his behaviour has just gone from bad to worse: I've just botched his injection because he turned round and bit me. :shocked:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 21:17:00 PM »
So Sweep needs somewhere without ladies to cause him to play up, do you think? ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 21:17:10 PM by JackSpratt »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 17:31:43 PM »
Oh poor Sweep  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 17:03:33 PM »
 :givein:

Does anyone want to rehome Sweep?

He will turn your house into a stinking urinal, ruin your social life and snores like a sumo-wrestler with a bad head cold!
Any takers?  :rofl:

Link to CatChat