Author Topic: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still here for now) (Sorted)  (Read 11778 times)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 16:55:01 PM »
Poor Sweep, up to 7 units now!

I had a feeling that he would weedle his way in! 
Hmmmm - he may be trying it on with me, but he's not so charming when it comes to my girls...

I do hope your OH is not trying to blame the gorgeous Sweep for his own misdemeanours, Jasmine - has he been 'done'? :evillaugh:
OH used to sleepwalk and has been known to mistake the fireplace in the bedroom for a urinal once :Crazy:
(I have been trying to get him 'neutered' for 3 years now, but CP vouchers won't cover this.) :rofl:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 18:02:31 PM »
I do hope your OH is not trying to blame the gorgeous Sweep for his own misdemeanours, Jasmine - has he been 'done'? :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 17:32:12 PM »
awww he's a gorgeous wee man Jasmine!  :Luv2:  somehow I had a feeling that he would weedle his way in!  ;)   

by the sounds of things he is obviously very happy with you guys and making the most of things.  well done  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 13:26:06 PM »
I think Sweep & I may be falling in love...  he keeps looking longingly into my eyes then jumps on my lap, paddles and goes all sloppy. :Luv2:

Needless to say, I have forgiven him for last week's misdemeanours: spraying the fireplace in our lounge and somewhere in OH's office (he was working from home all day and we just couldn't find the source :sick:). :evillaugh:

He went to the vets last Friday -  not Weds as planned, for another check-up.  His glucose levels came down to 16 at their lowest - an improvement on the previous week, but as the vet is aiming for a figure between 7 - 12, his insulin has been upped to 6 units and he is going in again tomorrow.   

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 13:13:03 PM »
awww, what a lovely boy he is  :Luv2:

hope the abs help his cough and that his eye heals soon  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
Thanks everyone :hug:

We picked up Sweep at 6.30 yesterday evening, he was pleased to see us.  His infected eye was swollen and watery again - obviously the stress of the day.  We've been told to increase his insulin dose to 5 units, twice a day and he will be going for another check-up next Weds.  They also performed a chest x-ray whilst he was there which was clear, so we have been given a 7 day course of ABs to see if this cures his cough.  I thought we might have some difficulty administering this as he is on a restricted diet of Hills MD (he needs to lose weigh too), but I popped the pill on top of the dried food this morning and he gobbled it down. :sneaky:

Here are some pics of Sweep taken the day before yesterday:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »
Just wanted to say well done for taking on this little one Jasmine....I'd say just take one day at a time and see how things go :)  Best way to do it rather than trying to make long term plans.

Good luck with little Sweep and look forward to some piccies of your little man when you get the chance.  He sounds a right little fighter and quite a character.  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
Fingers crossed his vet visit went well

and from me too xx

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »
Fingers crossed his vet visit went well
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 23:31:59 PM »
Aww well done Jasmine  :hug: :hug:
I do hope he can find a good home when ready, he is only young. :Luv:

Offline Harry and Katies Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 22:48:47 PM »
How did Sweep get on at the vets today?

Sounds eventful trying to get him ready though.
I'm quite lucky Harry goes in the carrier like a dream, Katie puts up a bit more of a fight but isn't too bad.  Harry is also really quiet on the trip although he always leaves us a nice parcel in the carrier  :sick: but Katie always cries the whole way there!! I usually resort to turning the radio up  :rofl:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »
 :thanks:

Yes, Sweep is at the vets at the moment; we dropped him off at 8.30 this morning.  He really didn't want to go and when OH finally managed to get him into the top opening of the carrier, he promptly escaped as we hadn't fastened the front, so a further 'struggle' was required!  :-[  He is a very good boy once inside though, not a squeak out of him in the car (that makes a pleasant change).

Offline Harry and Katies Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
Good on you for taking on Sweep - he looks loverly.

As said on the other thread if you need to talk or bounce ideas around for Sweep drop me a line.  I remember just needing to let of steam sometimes and the other half is so laid back he couldn't quite work out why I was so uptight, I also had the cats before I met him and he always proclaim he wasn't a cat person but I think they've changed his mind for him and I've caught him upstairs having conversations with both of them  :rofl:

I hope Sweep gets on ok at his next vet check - I think you said you were going today.

I'm sure Sweep will reward you with lots of love for taking him on.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 17:56:19 PM »
Good for you Jasmine ;D

He almost looks as if he's enjoying his swim in the pics, bless him.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 13:36:29 PM »
Good on you for fostering this brave little guy.

He's lovely and it would be great if he came round to your existing puds  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 13:23:13 PM »
Do you think you will end up keeping him permanently?  :shify:

Well...
Shall we have a sweepstake on it!?! :rofl:

Joking aside, we did say we might, and I mean might consider it, if we feel we can provide the level of care he needs AND he can integrate with our 3 girls.  I think the latter may prove the sticking point: we were already told he hates dogs (the diabetic vet nurse wanted to keep him, but he pinned her dog in the corner of a room) and so far, when we've allowed him into the lounge of an evening (whilst 'the others' are outside), just the scent of them has been enough to turn him into an untamed beast. :Crazy:

So I've made a mental note of your suggestion about the diabetic clinic for future reference, but at the moment he isn't ready for adoption.  In addition to his diabetes, poor Sweep also has a heart murmur which needs to be investigated (he has a very distressing cough), as well as a poorly eye and a polyp in his left ear.  Mind you, he rarely notices he's unwell and yesterday, he was even 'lumbering' about the room chasing a ping-pong ball!     

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »
 :Luv2:

Well done Jasmine  :hug: - He is a special cat. Do you think you will end up keeping him permanently?  :shify:

Otherwise, it might be worth contacting your local diabetic clinic to see if they would let you put something on their noticeboard. I tried this last year for one of ours but he was adopted anyway. I just thought that people with Diabetes might be a bit more empathetic and won't be fazed by jabs - Also, they  know the importance of not missing any. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:49:34 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 23:54:31 PM »
Well done Jasmine for taking the gorgeous Sweep on....He looks a real sweetie!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 22:42:58 PM »
What a lovely boy,   hope all goes OK,   xxx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 22:42:28 PM »
Bless him  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 22:38:29 PM »
He looks gorgeous  :Luv2: So glad he's found someone to look after him - how amazing are his hydrotheraphy photos  :wow:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 21:46:49 PM »
 :Luv2:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 21:28:31 PM »
What a lovely thing to do by giving this boy a chance of a home, i do hope you manage to work round any problems , and that his health problems can be sorted :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 18:10:19 PM »
well done Jasmine taking Sweep on

I have a  :sneaky: feeling he is going to be a favourite in no time on Purrs :Luv2:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 17:58:04 PM »
Aww, bless him. Fingers crossed with him, and good luck with the diabetes, it is one of the things that really scares me.
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Meet Sweep - a diabetic foster! (still here for now) (Sorted)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 17:55:38 PM »
Last Saturday, I received a rather apologetic phone call from my vets asking if after two recent bereavements, I would consider homing a special needs cat that was currently in their care.  He was called Sweep - unusually for the name a tabby and white DSH, 8 years old, whose walking was slightly impaired due to past surgery on his spine. On top of that, he had recently been diagnosed as diabetic and required two injections a day (something my OH said he would never consider).

Sweep was about to be signed over to the local CP, (sadly, his previous owner had just been diagnosed with cancer ), so I suggested I could perhaps foster him instead - providing Patrick was in agreement.  I thought I would have to use all my best powers of persuasion, but after he read the email that the vets subsequently sent (detailing his medical history and pics), his only question was... 'When do we get him?'! ;D

We both went to meet Sweep on Wednesday afternoon, and after an hours induction (poor Sweep has multiple health problems), we brought him home to the relative comfort of our basement room. (I didn't post sooner, as I didn't honestly know how we were going to cope but fingers crossed, we are managing so far.

I've posted a couple of pics below taken by the vet during his hydrotherapy treatment last year.  Sweep had a procedure called an laminectomy (to sort out a prolapsed disc) and had to learn to walk again: he is a very brave and special cat! :Luv:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 15:24:58 PM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat